tubal ligation could lead to early menopause
  • 4xthecrazy4xthecrazy
    I want to kill my obgyn for not
    telling me that having a tubal ligation could lead to early menopause.
    He retired, he's frail. If I see him, I may actually kill him.

i thought it was just me until i looked it up online. DH swears i'm faking the extreme fatigue and hot flashes, but had i known this would happen, DH would've had a vasectomy instead!

X(
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    What !!! I did not know that!!!! Great
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • ImWendyImWendy
    Yep. It also causes tubal ligation syndrome. Very painful periods, heavy bleeding, and extreme pms. It's miserable, and I had no idea it was even possible.
    deus ex machina
  • crazymama2twocrazymama2two
    Oh sweetie :( I'm sorry >:D<
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    Wow. .....this something I was NOT aware of!! I've got the painful periods.......like every third one knocks my dick in the dirt!!!!! But my flow is almost nonexistent!!!!! Like why all this cramping for spots????
    But early menopause......like how early????? Cuz im 39 and I don't think I've had any yet. ......crossing of the fingers now! !!!
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @verdictlesslife I'm sure you could get away with it using a temporary insanity plea. We all know hormonal = crazy.
    deus ex machina
  • StarsStars
    I've had my tubes tied and then got the tubal ligation syndrome leading to a hysterectomy at 39.  I wonder if that really speeds up menopause?  I so could use a break of not feeling like crap :P
    apsycho

• LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    It also can cause or exacerbate endometriosis.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    If i would have known this i would have just kept chancing getting pregnant.. Nope tubes tied and all hell broke loose.. Ugh i want a reversal..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • AnonUser30
    That's why i had my husband fixed (not really, but it sounds good!!)
  • MegsueMegsue
    When you think about it though, it makes sense. You're disrupting the way that your body functions, hormones go haywire. Most of my patients get put back on birth control pills to help regulate that. I know, crazy right!! I usually try to discourage women from doing it in the first place. Stick with the pill, chances are (if you have any abnormalities to your cycle at all) that you will end up back on it anyway :)
  • ktsmamaktsmama
    @Megsue ... are you an OB? Your advice could come in very hand here on SM!! Welcome!!
  • MegsueMegsue
    RN!! Ask away ladies!!
  • CalliopemarieCalliopemarie
    Wow
  • CalliopemarieCalliopemarie
    that's probably why i was just bleed for 3 weeks.  I am going to my gyn monday but my periods have been getting heavy and longer since i got my tubes tied and this last one lasted for 3 weeks.  I had no choice about getting my tubes tied.  My uterus was see through with y last child and i was told if i got pregnant again i would more than likely miscarry and or hemmorage and possibly die
  • MegsueMegsue
    @Daystar8531 it definately sounds like you have Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome. See a doc ASAP! It's actually the PTLS that leads to early onset menopause. Or so we think...not a whole lot of research has been done on this. Actually, most docs will tell you that PTLS doesn't exist! So find yourself a YOUNG ob, not some dinosaur who isn't up on this "new" syndrome.
  • monstamomonstamo
    I didn't know about tubal libation syndrome, my monthly is horrible since DS3 was born. I can only pray for menopause at this point, I am 47 and looking forward to ending this shit now
  • MegsueMegsue
    @monstamo have you looked into Endometrial ablation? If you have a healthy uterus, it's an excellent option! I'm thinking about it too actually because Ive been getting fibroids since having my son. It's really simple, outpatient procedure, they put you under a general anesthesia, stuff a balloon up there, fill it with hot water and scald the lining of your uterus. Not as scary as it sounds, I promise! Around 1/3 of women stop having periods altogether. My mom had it done because she too had heavy irregular periods, now if she has one at all, she only needs a panty-liner and it only lasts 1-2 days! It is NOT a form of sterilization though, Just FYI.
  • monstamomonstamo
    Thank you @Megsue, it sounds like a great idea, I will get some more info and hope it is the answer for me, Periods are just stupid when you are finished having babies.
  • MamaAce
    I also think tubal ligation leads to hysterectomies and problems. My mom had a TL, had to have a hysterectomy. I had one, had to have a hysterectomy last year. And almost everyone I know who has had a TL has had problems with their cycles and what not afterwards. I was never told it could lead to early menopause either!
  • mamabish
    I had a ligation when I had my 3rd c-section 10 weeks ago. I did lots of research on PTLS and a lot of what it said was the heavy periods and depression were symptomatic of women who were on the pill before the ligation. My doc, who is young, tended to agree with that and since I haven't been on the pill for over 8 years that I would most likely not get it. Also, I have PCOS, so my cycles are screwy anyway and they have been super heavy since I had kids. I plan on having the uterine ablation done when my periods start up again.
    In the research that I did do, I didn't come across the early menopause or increased risk of hysterectomy. I am kind of freaking out right now! How does a ligation lead to a hysterctomy? And the egg is still released every month,so how does the early menopause thing work? @megsue?
    I had felt good about this decision...
  • MegsueMegsue
    Usually a hysterectomy is done because of the heavy bleeding...its having a hystorectomy which leads to early menopause. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that. I am DEAD against getting a hysterectomy for this reason!!! I am a fan of the ablation for this purpose. If your uterus is healthy enough (read thick enough) it is safe and effective. If the uterus is too thin, it can burn through and do sone serious danage! Usually women do not have any problems with having their tubes tied at all. And most docs will tell you the heavy bleeding is depression or early menopause, it's a vicious cycle!! I'm rambling now! Will get back to this more if you have any further questions in the AM, brain is shutting down on me :-S
  • mamabish
    @megsue, thanks for the info, that makes me feel better.

@verdictlesslife, I am so sorry you are dealing with ptls. I can't imagine the frustration. I was in no way trying to imply that I think it's all in your head. It scares me that you had been off the pill for so long yet still got this. I totally thought I was in the clear. I hope you find relief soon!
  • KellynnKellynn
    @megsue I had an ablation 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I don't even get periods anymore. At first they were so light, barely noticeable, then dropped to nothing. But, I'm almost 48 and now think I'm in perimenopause. That sucks.
  • wonderwomanx3
    Gosh. I didn't knows this either. Had my tubes tied 5 yrs ago when ds#3 was born. W/in the last yr or so I started having a period about every 18 or 20 days. Now, i'm on BC again. Ugh! Although it is nice to know when AF is going to show up. No more guessing. But the only reason I got tied was so I wouldn't have to take pills anymore!
  • emmaoremmyemmaoremmy
    My periods have been HORRIBLE since I had my tubes tied after #3 was born.  They actually got to the point where they were semi-normal when he was about 18 months old (and by normal, I mean I'm not soaking through a super plus tampon every hour), but now the days are all f&cked up.  I have been every 30 days SINCE I CAN REMEMBER.  Went to every 28 days (not a problem) but now my periods just sort of start whenever they feel like it apparently.  28 days, then the next month was 33 days, then the next month was 35 days, and now with this one, I think it was maybe 27 days?  I'm sick of it.
  • Angel21376
    I am also one that is dealing with the aftermath of Tubal Ligation, I had my tubes tied back after my youngest was born seven years ago, and have had HORRIBLE periods, I go through all the extreme symptoms of the pms, you name it I have it, and my bleeding is so heavy that it leaves me very fatigued, I can barely raise my head from pillow first week, and have two a month sometimes... History here though, my last two daughters are Birth Control babies, it did not work for my hubby and I, and after five kids in the last 17 yrs I did not want anymore!, plus I had medical card, and the insurance my husband had, would of had to pay 500 out of pocket deductable for him to have a vasectomy, so I really ddidnt have much of a choice... my hubby has super sperm, with capes and his faces on them I have always said lol
  • Samantha
    I had no idea.  This explains so much.  I soak through tampons like crazy, I cramp so bad the first few days I can barely stand up straight, all I want to do is sleep and cry and sleep.  And cry.  My boobs hurt, I have hot flashes, no sex drive, and dark spots above my upper lip.  I'm freaking 31, I shouldn't be having this crap.  I had my tubes tied at 24 and been dealing with this since then.  Time to talk to the doc I guess.
  • hallfamily727hallfamily727
    OMG!  I had no idea that could happen!  I had my tubes tied after my last baby.  He's 2 now and ever since I had him, I get my period every 3 weeks intsead of 4 and i bleed for 10-14 days.  Heavy flow for most of it.  Ugh
  • hallfamily727hallfamily727
    @Samantha....i have almost the same thing...plus PMS.  And I'm only 33.  Freaking ridiculous.
  • wintermom0208wintermom0208
    I am so glad I read this thread. I was considering getting my tubes tied after # 3 is born but not after reading this.  I'm not sure what we can do now as SO has an immosuppressants he has to be on and is worried about not taking them to get a vasectomy done.... BC pills I never remember to take and everything else sucks for me. 

Ugh. 

And I bet if I spoke with my dr. about it, he wouldn't know what it was either (the issues post tubal). 

Just glad I read about it. 
  • JadensMommy
    I'm shocked, floored actually.  I had no idea this was out there.  After reading all these posts I researched PTLS online and discovered more symptoms!  I had my tubal done during my 3rd c-section 2 1/2 years ago and since then I've had horrible PMS, worsening cramps, heavier bleeding and I also noticed that my concentration has even lacked.  I even commented on that to my husband today.  It's like the pregnancy 'side effect' of bad memory and lack of concentration has never gone away.  I really thought I was crazy!  I am so sorry for all of you ladies that have been through this, but it really helps to see that I'm not alone.  Wow.  I'm flabbergasted!!
  • emmaoremmyemmaoremmy
    I've often thought about asking my gyn to do a partial hysterectomy.  That's how bad my periods are now and how much I hate them.  I wonder if I could talk him into it, lol
  • mami_of_3mami_of_3
    Glad I found this. This explains a lot. I haven't been able to wear tampons since I had the tubal ligation done, can only use pads that look and feel like a pillow! can't leave the house, so bloated, too much blood, too much pain. Have to eat every 2hrs or I feel like i will pass out. No energy, always feel down but don't know why. Ugh! Doctor said nothing will change after i had it done. Asshole!
    If you change their diaper, they will immediately poop in the new one.
    If you mop the floor, they will spill something.
    If you put on fresh socks, you will immediately step on whatever was spilled.
    If you're tired, they will not be.
    If you love them, you will see the beauty in it all.
  • countrytime
    Wow!! Scary to read all of this, but it does make me feel better that I am probably NOT pregnant at age 39!! I had a Tubal Ligation done 15 years ago after my third child was born. My cycles are usually one real heavy flow day and then 2-3 days of just slight flow with the real heavy day being one of those days you want to just curl up in a ball and sleep in the dark all day long. I have degenerative disc and facet joint issues in my lower back so I was put on a medication called "Gabapentin" generic for neurontin to ease the nerve pain. Well 9 days into it I started having "hot flashes" so I called my doc and he said cold turkey stop taking them, "WHAT?" I did and still haveing hot flashes. Well I am also on day 39 waiting for my monthly visit which is normally 24-26 days. this past year though has had my cycles coming on a 17-26 day schedule. I have also noticed in the past few months, water retention, weight gain, headaches, and just being a plain ol'e B!$&#h, not to mention lack of energy! I guess I should go see a doctor?? Can I live like this without being put on meds?
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • AnonUser32AnonUser32
    I'm supposed to have my tubes tied aug 13 w my csection. I'm glad I read this. Its nice to have a completely personal point of view of what happens after. I will def talk to my obgyn tomorrow and ask him about all this. I've researched online and in pamphlets at the dr office but it wasn't this in debth, and my dr hasn't said anything to this effect. So we will see what happens.
    Without reason you have Rhythm and Rhyme the type of girl who knows how to have a good time... You take what you want except no for an answer... And I know first hand you're one hell of a dancer... So calling all cars and low and behold you're a real livewire with a heart of gold
  • MrsPMrsP
    @megsue, can I private message you w/ a question??
    "Women are like bags of tea. You never know how strong they are until they're in hot water."
  • MegsueMegsue
    Message away lady! I'm semi comatose, since I only slept for 4 hours last night! But I should be able to say something that will almost make sense @MrsP

• wtfwit
    @megsue What are your thoughts on the 10 yr iud paraguard? I have had it for 3 yrs now but idk about leaving it in the whole 10 yrs... I'm kinda worried it will get "stuck" there??
  • MegsueMegsue
    I have a crush on it actually @wtfwit. Birth control for 10 years! Yes please! It shouldn't get "stuck there." If it was going to, chances are it would have already. IUDs are kinda weird in that, if shits gonna it the fan, it will likely happen sooner rather than later. I tried finding specific numbers for you, and I couldn't. Which is actually a good thing! If it doesn't have any numbers associated with it then you can take it to mean that only a few very unlucky women had this happen and/or it happened because of some other medical condition, not the IUD itself.
  • wtfwit

Thanks @megsue!!!!

• BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    To be perfectly honest, if you understand the physiology of the female reproductive system, this makes 0 sense...when you snip the fallopian tubes, you are doing nothing to prevent ovulation.  Your body continues to act as it always does...your brain send out hormones to cause your ovaries to work, they just don't go "down the tube."  You still have periods every month.

Sorry, but I would be suspect of this research.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • 4xthecrazy4xthecrazy
    @BellaBefana this is the thing, we aren't talking about research, these ARE our experiences.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I would think there's something else going on besides the tubal ligation.  Hormone production is pretty complex, especially reproductive, and a great many things can go wrong w/o being related to the tubal ligation...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • 4xthecrazy4xthecrazy
    @BellaBefana I take it you're either a MD or RN. Maybe you should apply for some funding and research it youself. I'd be willing to be a paticipant!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    no, but I am in medical research, and 20 + years of gyn problems, an ex-bf who's an OB/GYN, I've gotten to know the physiology pretty well...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MegsueMegsue
    It's thought to be caused by damage done to the blood supply to the ovary itself during surgery and/or target/receptor cells from the Fallopian tube being damaged and removed. So no, your body does not operate in the same manner after Tubal Ligation. The ability for hormones to function in their normal manner is disrupted and in walks in PTLS.

@BellaBefana
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    The web sources I found are not reputable medical sites.  I found one citation on WebMD for a study which only included 88 subjects and that's hardly a ringing endorsement to draw this kind of a conclusion.

In fact, on Medscape, which is a medical professional site, I found nothing referencing early menopause and tubal ligations
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • AnonUser33

I've often thought about asking my gyn to do a partial hysterectomy.  That's how bad my periods are now and how much I hate them.  I wonder if I could talk him into it, lol

I had a partial hysterectomy done a year after my tubal and I still have cramps every single month. I have horrible ovarian cysts and my right ovary has shrunken to the point where they cannot find it on a ultrasound. I have to have a ct scan done to check on my cysts. I would say if you are going the hysterectomy route just have it all removed. I have to go back in and get the rest taken out.
  • regpregp
    . PTLS is a real condition but until they have a drug that can treat it, it's not really an illness...
    The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.