6 year old girl's birthday party?
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    Alright, you brilliant, ingenius mommies you, I have a dilemma. DD is turning 6 in 2 weeks. My former MIL will be here as well. As some of you know, I am not in great health and have the energy of a comatose sloth. I need some really cool ideas for her birthday party that will save me from chasing little 5 and 6 year old monkies, having loads of cleanup and setup, and are on the cheap.  I know it's a lot to ask, but the very thought of this party is making me exhausted already. Especially since the nightmare woman will be here judging everything I do for an entire 4 days.
  • ProudPalsyMamma
    Maybe go somewhere like a chuckie cheese no clean up and you don't have to supervise as much
    This place is a desolate wasteland as far as things to do are concerned. The nearest place to let the kids run loose is 80 miles. So by default it has to be here
  • shate98shate98
    depends on where you are... (weather, what's available locally for kids to do, etc.)
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • ProudPalsyMamma
    Do you have a park close by? Maybe order pizza at the park for the kiddies and make sure the parents stick around to watch their own terrors lol
  • shate98shate98
    a scavenger hunt? Would require some initial setup but would keep them occupied for awhile.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • AnonholeMomAnonholeMom
    I took the easy way out for my daughter's 6th this fall.  I told her she was allowed to have 1 friend come over for her very first big girl sleep over.  She was beyond thrilled with that and didn't even ask about a bigger party.

I heard horror stories from my friends about doing the "invite the whole class" parties with obnoxious kids or parents who just pull up and drop off without even introducing themselves...  Just weird stuff.  Entertaining 17 strange kids just isn't really high on my list of important things.

Did invite her little church friends over for the 5th Birthday.  I think we had 12 total, and it was really rough.  And I knew those kids!  End up taking them to the park down the street (totally spur of the moment) just to kill 15 minutes and get them out of my house before they broke something.
  • AnonUser35
    You can throw a "fairy party" at home. The kids can paint fairy houses (wooden bird houses). The painting should keep them entertained for a while.

Also, if you want to do a small favor, you can always do a small wand with a small jar of glitter (fairy dust).
  • GritsGrits
    We did a strawberry "tea party" for my oldest DD when she turned 6. It was easy and cheap, too! All I did was get some el cheapo tea cups and saucers from the dollar tree and a plastic table cloth. We made strawberry punch (7-up mixed with strawberry koolaid in equal parts), made some heart-shaped peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwiches (used a heart-shaped cookie cutter) and then made up a batch of cupcakes (strawberry of course). Decorations and food set us back only about $40, and the girls all dressed up in their Sunday best. They had a great time and I wasn't totally exhausted. My town is like yours, btw...NOTHING to do for kids, so we always have to improvise!!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • Kry
    Rent a bouncy castle? Hours of fun with little to no supervision necessary!
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    For kianna's 6th bday......I had her invite 4 of her close friends and we had a grown up lady tea party!!!! Had the girls wear their Sunday best.......made little sandwiches and stuff. I bought several random teacups and things from the goodwill. It was sooooooo much fun and RELAXING!!!!!! Kianna still talks about it to this day......
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
    @MumTheWord......great minds!!!!! *knucklefuckinbump*
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......

I asked her if she wanted to do a tea party. She screams:Like Alice in Wonderland?!?!" Somehow, I think I've stepped my foot in it. lol But we have limited her guests to 6 girls from her class. Ideas

gift bags- Playing cards, heart shaped candies, and maybe their own tea cup to take home? bottles of bubbles

food- cupcakes, tea sandwiches, little drink bottles with "drink me" tags, cookies that say "eat me" in frosting

Luckily I collect tea pots, so the decor is somewhat free, and funky different color plates, napkins, and table cloth, fake flowers if I can find them cheap

I have both versions of the movie, original Disney and the new one. They could perhaps watch one of those

No idea on the invites since my printer died a most horrible death >.<

• ProudPalsyMamma
    You can buy invites at party stores
  • PhDMommyPhDMommy
    We moved to England shortly after we got married so one of the things I gave all the girls involved in our wedding was a pretty china tea cup with a matching saucer.  I got them from Goodwill for super cheap, they were all different and everyone absolutely loved them!  I put things like tea and biscotti in the ones for the adults and candy and a small cake for the younger ones (flowergirl) but you could do candy necklaces or the other things you mentioned in them.

I love the ideas for the food.  I recently saw a post about how to make your own cupcake towers/etc.  Of course I can't find the link now but this looks similar and you could pick up the things at goodwill. 

Oh and Dollar Tree sells fake flowers!
    Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    SCORE!!!!!!! trust me......its gonna be fun! !!!!!!!
  • SammieSammie
    I LOVE the Alice in Wonderland idea @LA!! That's a wonderful idea. It will be so much fun.

I think taking a little teacup home is a great idea! Thrift stores always have an abundance of awesome, vintage teacups and they are usually very cheep cheep. 

As far as invitations go, you can use the printers at the library or provide your daughter with some craft supplies and let her create her own! You could help fill in the details. You guys could even trace teacups out and write the details in then let her decorate. 

community-manager