Depo - severe bleeding after??
  • Anonymous
    I just posted a confession, but honestly I'm a little scared. I started bleeding the day before yesterday, and I've never had a period like this. I am soaking THROUGH a tampon in less than 2 hours, and a pad at the same time. I am very scared that this isn't normal. I don't want to go to my doctor because I don't have time - and the idea of someone touching me right now makes me want to scream and run around with a knife. I've hemorraged before when I went into sudden labor with a placental abpruption (sp??) so I know that is not what is happening. But, OMG, it is really a lot of blood! I also have NO NO NO appetite, but not really tired. Has anyone else had this happen to this? Is it normal? This is my first period since coming off, and I was on it for over a year. Help!
  • Anonymous
    I know that heavy bleeding is normal once you come off of depo but if it continues for a whole week, then you have to take time to see the Dr! But if you start feeling dizzy or light headed, I would go in sooner. I HATE depo. I only had 2 shots & it took me a couple of years to get back to normal.
  • Anonymous
    My advice to you is to NEVER take Depo again. Seriously. I took it twice a few years ago and it made me completely hormonal. I would cry and flip out over honestly nothing. I also bled for 22 days straight. I think you'll be okay as long as its not that heavy after the next couple days. Otherwise call your doctor and please don't ever take it again. Its not worth the risks at all!
  • Anonymous
    I never needed antidepressants until I started taking depo. Unfortunately, I was allergic to the IUD, and I cannot remember to take a pill, and want no more kids. until hubby gets a vasectomy, depo it is... As for the bleeding, it messes your period up pretty bad. I always have a panty liner on, because I never know when I'll spot, but I never have an actual period. If you are seriously thinking something more serious is wrong, go to the dr.!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Thank you! I was gone all day, and things seem to have lightened up (or I got better at changing tampons more often!). I'm tired, but was able to eat some dinner tonight.

I got off of depo because my husband finally got a vasectomy. Now he says that I can't complain about my period - because I "wanted" to get off of depo and "made" him get a vasectomy. Ass.
  • Anonymous
    If he only knew the havoc depo has on your system, he would change his tune! That stuff is horrible! And he's probably still cranky because someone cut near his "boys" and he might even feel less manly because he's shooting blanks. I've heard that before. Complain all you want about your period!!
  • Anonymous
    I loved Depo but I think I'm the exception. A thick/heavy period after coming off of it is not uncommon.
  • Anonymous
    I didn't think Depo was still used
  • Anonymous
    I was on depo for about two years, and went off about four years ago. I had a period that lasted three months after going off! Depo sure was convenient, but man that stuff will wreck your body! Go to the Dr. honey!
  • SanityIsAMythSanityIsAMyth
    I had depo one time. ONE. It was one shot too many. Everyone was telling me how much I would love it and how it made their periods almost non-existent. Not me! I bled every day for three months, I gained 30 lbs, my hair started "shedding", and I was so weak it was ridiculous! If I weren't so weak, I would've probably kicked the dr's ass!
  • Anonymous
    To poster two above me - I also had a period that last for 3 months after getting off of Depo. It was fab....from June through August! Ugh....I'll never get on that again! To OP - I pray yours doesn't last as long as ours did!!
  • Anonymous
    OMG!!! That stuff is killer! I was on it for 2 years. I was so excited to not have a period, esp for my wedding! And also to not worry about a pill, because I did not want kids and always forgot pills. I gained 30 lbs the 1st year and was a royal bitch, crying over the stupidest things!!!!!! Yes, when I came off of it my 1st period was horrible. The bleeding wasn't as bad as you all are saying, but the cramps were so bad I couldn't stand up straight. I had to crawl to the bathroom. They were giving me prescription meds and I still couldn't stand up! It took a few months to go back to normal, and it messed up my pap smears as well. And funny how you mention shedding...I always had gorgeous curly hair, and my hair was limp and flat! Nasty. Also, I was on it about 15 years ago. From what I hear, they actually changed it to not be as strong as it was then!
  • Fathead29
    I am having a similar issue. I received my first depo injection Dec 2010 and the second April 2011 and never went back to get another I started my period for the first time in a year in november 2011 and it was pretty normal then I came on again mid Dec 2011 it started out heavy nothing like I've ever had before. I have been bleeding now for three weeks and it is still really really heavy like sloppy ewwwwww heavy and I don't feel like this is normal I spoke with a doctor and she just told me to make an appointment to get some birth control, pills to regulate my cycle......idk if that was good advice idk....i need another opinion...i haven't been to the doctors yet because of my work schedule...then at the same time I hear this may not be an emergency that it's normal
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @fathead29 I was never on Depo, but after I had my middle child, I bled like that for weeks. Kept complaining to her until she put me on a pill. She said it would help support the uterine lining, and it did. I quit taking it after maybe 4 months and didn't have any more problems. 6 years later I'm having problems again, but I don't think it's related.
    deus ex machina
  • loveitloveit
    I have NEVER heard a single good thing about depo from anyone who has taken it. Why on earth do they still give it?!
  • @loveit, I Know, right?!
  • etherieletheriel

I didn't really have a choice about Depo. Extensive scarring from c-sections and my high blood pressure exlcude me from all other birth control options other than abstinence. The scarring also makes it dangerous for me to get pregnant ever again.

I love Depo. I haven't gained weight or turned into a psycho maniac. I haven't had a period in a year and a half. Now, I'm scared to ever get off of it though.

If I'm not supposed to do it, how come I can?
  • Anonymous
    DEPO was hell. I bled the whole 9 months I was on it and gained 50 pounds, from a normal weight with no eating disorder! years later I do not have regular periods, this stuff is weird, I wouldnt be surprised.
  • Rella_taylord
    So im seventeen and I had just got a procedure in september 23 2011 my dr insisted on the depo shot so I got it november 3 2011 in the begining periods lasted seven days then after the first month every day. My dr said it was normal and that the more I take the shot the less ill have my period I took the shot again january 2012 and since then I had four days with out my period and I have gained 30 pounds also I skipped my shot that was suppose to be on the third of april an d so far im still on my period but now im starting to see blood clots dark cherry red blood and it comes out so much it goes through my pad and soaks my jeans ....help I want to.cry..srry for being graphic plus im tired of dr advice cause of where its gotten me so far HELP ME I BEG YOU
  • BakingmommyBakingmommy
    I have been on it for 7 years, I must be the exception to every rule, I've NEVER had one problem with it.  It made my post partum bleeding a little heavier, but nothing more than with my 1st kid, I still have once every three month spotting (a few days before my shot, and a few days after my shot), I doubled up on calcium, and my regular Dr checks my liver and my calcium bone density once a year when I go for my once a year check up. Yes I gained weight on it, but I also ate like a god damn pig and not making good choices, now that I have changed my diet, upped my exercise, and actually pay attention to my body the weight is coming off.

If you have SMART Dr's, who CARE and are KNOWLEDGEABLE, about what they do there is NO reason why the Depo shot should not work correctly. 
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    I had a 5 month long period on depo AND got pregnant on it. A seriously high risk too. I would not reccommend it to anyone honestly.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    @bakingmommy, I think you are right about being the exception. I would not wish depo on my worst enemy!

I had massive mood swings, incredible weight gain, painful & very heavy periods. I got the shot 2 times. That was enough for me. And then I had 5 years of very painful periods to the point that my dr was going to put me in menopause to reset my body. But I got pregnant instead & that did the trick. @rella_taylord, if you are seeing blood clots now, it is probably trying to stop bleeding. Just keep an eye on it & make sure you take a good multivitamin with iron in it so you don't become anemic. If it doesn't start slacking up, go back to the dr just to make sure everything is ok. Go to a different dr if you need to. Just make sure you use condoms until you get a new birth control but I would assume you aren't having sex with all that bleeding going on. And once this gets resolved, look into getting an IUD if you have already had a child. It is relatively painless to insert & lasts 5-10 years. No fuss!
  • WillileeWillilee
    @bakingmommy, I was on it for 10 and loved it. Stopped it because I don't need it any more. All I did was back off my junk food and exercise a little more and that took care of the weight. Plus it was the only thing that didn't turn me into a screaming banshee.

Hard to argue about types of birth control other than what works best for you - when you think about it, extra hormones are probably not that healthy for your body anyway.
  • jacigirl6354
    I too am an exception to the rule. I have been on Depo for what seems like forever and honestly I don't want to go off of it. I was on it for 6 years after the birth of my son. Never had problems with bleeding, weight gain, hormones, etc. I went off of it in November 2002, got my period back in January of '03, it was a completely normal period and was pregnant by March. Unfortunately we miscarried, but had no trouble with periods after that and not too much longer I was pregnant again with my daughter, born in May of '04. I went back on it at that time and have been on it ever since. I will occasionally have spotting (nothing more than needing to wear a panty-liner) for a day or two before its time to get my next shot. I adore not having a period. I've not bought pads or tampons in YEARS.
    I agree its hard to argue with what works. My DR always said he wished he could bottle up whatever I had in my body that made Depo work so well for me and sell it. I have thought about getting a tubal or having my DH get the snip, but honestly, I love not having to deal with ever being on the rag.
  • BakingmommyBakingmommy
    It is hard to argue what works and what doesn't, and I see a lot of depo bashing just because people had a bad experience, I had bad experiences with the pill, and IUD, and the patch, I don't bash those, it works for others it didn't work for me.  It was a trial and error with all medication that you have to go through to find what works best for you.  I really wish people would stop bashing depo, it's not horrible for everyone, just because it was bad for you doesn't mean it's not bad for the women next to you in the dr's office.  

It also helps that I've been diagnosed with hormonal bi-polar (not the official diagnosis but the easiest way to put it) My body doesn't produce enough natural hormones to keep me "on track" so I tend to fly off the handle when I have to much testosterone and not enough estrogen to balance, and I turn into a weeping baby with too much estrogen and not enough testosterone, so the depo forces my body into a balance, and the world is a happier place for it, and so am I.
  • MistressHeidiMistressHeidi
    I didn't have any real problems with Depo. I was on it for 3 years till my xh got a vasectomy. The problem I had was after I went off of it. It took almost a year for my periods to come back and when I finally did have one it was sooooo bad. Cramps that kept me doubled over and I bled for almost 3 weeks. But while I was on it it was great, no periods, no hormonal changes or problems of any kind.
  • bandh

I loved the depo! I have had not one problem with it, no periods, no hormonal changes, no weight gain. I guess just a lucky one....Before I started I always had really heavy periods. I hated it, during high school through every class I had to change my tampoon, was not fun. I was on the depo for over 5 years...I just got off of it october 2011, and the beginning of april 2012. I just started having really badly heavy periods. its like high school all over again. now I have only been having them for about a week now. And Im sure my body needs to flush alot of stuff out, but does anyone know if this will continue? when I was in high school I only had my period for about 8 months to a year, then I found the depo. I have not seen a doctor, I plan on too. but I would like to know if anyone else has had any simlar experiences. and any advise please

• Alexmrtnz
    I am 18, i was on the depo for a year. I was supposed to to get my next shot in January 2012 but decided to get off of it because of my weight gain. I had a regular period from February 25-march3 2012. I got my next "period" on march 14, and since then I have not stopped bleeding. It's not as bad as some of the stories I've read, I normally just need one tampon or panty liner a day. Im curious as to how long this "period" might last? I've gone to planned parenthood and my regular doctor and one said to just wait the other said to take daily birth control to get back to normal.
    Idk if I should take more birth control since I've lost almost all the weight I gained.
    Any advice?
  • Rella_taylord
    Hey guys me again so ever since I stop taking my depo shot two weeks after the third of april which was suppose to be my next shot date ..i stopped getting my period I was spotti for like a second after sex but still no period and I lost 5 pounds im going for a check up on monday though ill keep you posted
  • ChibikoChibiko
    Good deal. And yes keep u's posted
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • ChibikoChibiko
    *us
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • Rella_taylord
    Hey guys I went to the dr she told me I was in good shape and keep up what ever I'm doing ...excersize keeping calcium levels up and maintaining a healthy diet as for my period she told me its up to when ever the depo is completely out of my system ..she also told me a remedy for speeding up the process water,cranberry juice,grape or lemon juice can do the trick ....i think im ready to wait til after marriage for sex cause this some bull shit Ima just let nature work lol
  • Rella_taylord
    Me again so last week I got my normal period flow I'm back and as healthy as a horse my newest slogan "say no to depo hoe"
  • Rella_taylord
    O:-) =))
  • sm0976
    I think I an an exception too. After the first 2 shots my bleeding stopped. No more periods. I loved it. I have actually lost some weight. Now after being on it for 8 months I just started cramping and bleeding like I am having a period. Has this happened to anyone else? No period now out of the blue bleeding, what gives?
  • jessipai

Ok so I am on here trying to find some advice for my sister.  She was on depo for 8 or 9 years and a year ago she got off of it.  Well her Gyno was crazy and when she went back to him because she was bleeding non stop he kept putting her on different birth control.  So now it has been a whole year she is very anemic and bloats all the time bleeding literally all the time.  She switched doctors and the new doctor actually took the time to run a bunch of test. So after the test she has found out that depo really messed up the lining of her uterus and the other birth control methods the other dr gave her made it worse, she now has the uterus of a women going through menapause and she is 26 years old with no kids i am so worried about her and she is getting really bad stomach problems becasue she is always stressed.  Her new doctors have been working really hard on trying to help her but it has not gone away yet.  Is there any advice anyone can offer. 

• mericksmom
    Did not read the rest BUT GO SEE DR.  It is hormonal imbalance and if you continue to bleed like that you can become anemic.  It took me a month and a half but at first it was slow by the time I went to the er I was passing clots the size of SOFTBALLS and I was PAIL and in pain.  They will get  you on the pill and HOPEFULLY do some blood work and possibly some sonograms to see if you have any cysts.    Find VITEX. It is a natural product found in pill form and it too can and will help regulate your cycles.    
  • lovehim20
    OMGGGGG I HATE DEPO!!! i started in the beginning of december, i honestly wanted to get on it because i saw a ton of reviews that said it caused weight gain..and i wanted to gain weight (im 5'6 and 130lbs) i was looking to gain at least 15lbs..but anywho with my first shot i was bleeding the whole 3 months ughhhh it was horrible i called my doctor and of course she said it was normal. after the second shot still bleeding..long story short i bleed for 10 months straight while on depo believe it or not i thought i was gonna die! smh lol so i switched..im currently on nuvaring for the last 4 days! i like it but i also see reviews about this bc that arent really appealing..but hey no one women is alike and we are all effected differently by bc's so i'll see if this bc will have good or bad side effects on my body...=>
  • zoeiii
    Okayy so I'm 18 and in Febuary I got the first shot and I didn't like the way it made me feel. I was on my period when I got the shot and I bled the whole time so I didn't go back to get the second one ans now its been 8 months and I have bled EVERYDAY. I'm getting scared that it will cause problems when I deside to have children. I do not recommend getting the shot!! When should the bleeding stop?? Advise anyone?? Please help!!
  • I_HATE_DEPO
    Hi there, So i was on depo from February of 2011 till my last shot in December of 2011 (which obviously wasn't up till March 2012) ANYWAYS i did not have a period till a couple of days ago about September 28, 2012 (6 moths later). And my period is horribly heavy and i am having the most awful cramps of my life right now that i hope dont last for to much longer. Me and my husband was to have a baby soon but i have heard that it could take a while after coming off depo. The doctors should tell you the side effects before putting you on the shot, saying that your periods will go away is a nice thought but dont use depo it is awful!!!!
  • bch89
    I had ONE shot of depo for the Essure procedure. Have been bleeding non stop for over 3 1/2 months. Dr had me PAY for an ultrasound (no insurance) they see something and it is either the Essure or my IUD (which I had removed by a previous dr before Essure) anyway they prescribed me birth control pills to stop the bleeding. Been on the pills for 1 week and 2 days and the bleeding is way heavier I am having to change tampons every two hours. Called dr they said this is not normal and to stop the pills. They said now I will need a hysterscopy to confirm if the Essure or possible IUD is in the correct position. Another procedure I will have to pay for out of pocket. I am on Women's Health Program but it only covers pap smears and birth control. Has anyone else had this? I am seriously considering just going to the ER tonight after work and maybe seeing if they can tell me anything.
  • otmom
    depo is NOT nice. It's not worth the pain and stress your body goes through when you're trying to come off it. I've had massive problems with my body...weight gain, mood swings and I've been bleeding on and off for 3 months now! I started to get anemic, weak and tired from it all.
    In my opinion, women should not be using things that do this to our bodies, we should just me all natural and happy to be like that...NEVER again! I'm a depo hater!!!!
  • bornaboone
    I can't believe they gave/are giving us something they use for sex offenders. No wonder why I had no sex drive or desire to do anything. I had one shot 5 1/2 months ago. After 3 months of spotting almost everyday my period came on like a heavy, brown, goopy, gloppy, mess. It let up after a month, then after 3 days it will start again. Then off. Then on. Off. On. It's so sparatic. I gave up using tampons because taking them out hurt, everytime I thought I had a period it would just stop. Plus it almost pushed me right over the edge. Anyway, I just don't know why they still give the shot. And make sure you are emotionally stable enough. This is all embarrassing to say, but I think some women out there will appriciate it. 8-X
  • etherieletheriel
    I've been on Depo for 2 years now and I love it. I haven't had a period since the first shot. No mood swings or weight gain or loss of sex drive. It was a great choice for me.
    If I'm not supposed to do it, how come I can?
  • ThreeJane
    I did Depo. Once. And only once.

It turned me into a screaming, vicious, damn-near psychotic bitch. I wanted to beat up my husband and my kids, the thought of anyone touching me made me nauseated, and libido? Don't make me laugh. Screwing was the LAST thing on my mind. My hair fell like crazy (it's waist length and it was EVERYWHERE). I was tired all the time, didn't want to talk to anyone (I'm a huge gabber) and didn't want to do anything...even my beloved snowboarding.

I had minimal periods, brownish stuff mostly. I was angry and depressed by turns, from about a week on in. When I quit it, massive gushy period and cramps for nearly two weeks. Like the same soak a tampon every two hours that others have noted.

Doc pushed VERY hard for me to go to a second shot and I adamantly refused. Went back on Levora (BC pill) and have had no problems for over a year.

Yeah, maybe I'm one of those people who "had a bad experience" but it was sufficiently life-changing that I will never do it again.
  • mel_sam
    I got my first depo in October 2011 got my last may 2012 IV been bleeding since I got on the depo IV been bleeding for.over a year and have just recently started passing huge clots
  • momof3boy

hey, i found this site because ive used the depo injection from jan 08 to dec 11, i had my first period in nov 12 that was very light but lasted 12days i got my 2nd one starting on 30th dec 12 (what a nice way to bring new year in) well this one is really bad ive floding big time i was having to change every 20 to 30 mins with super towels. i have now started wearing maternity pads which i have to change every hr or so i also have to wear tena lady maxi night when i go to bed but still have to change in middle of night down to flooding. im 3 days into my period and was expecting a bad period but not half as bad as it is pain killers every 2 hrs not even takin edge off pain at all either, ive always had bad periods and ones that tunred up if and when they want to between 28 and 68 days and lasting up to 4 months long but never been as bad as this one, while i was on the depo i never had a period which i thought was great. i put weight on even tho i go to gym, im a single mom so always on the go with my boys, im out with my dog as much as i can but some how ive still put a few st on. since comin off the depo my hair is greasy my skin is greasy i feel like a 29 yr old teenager again with all the spots on the gd side tho ive got my sex drive back tho i just cant wait to start losing my weight as im 30 in june and dont want to b as fat as i am fingers crossed i will do it, if i could offer any advice to any1 who is thinkin of goin on the depo read up on it first i didnt i just went on it as id just split with my childerns dad and was goin thro post natel depression which i dont wish that upon any1 so periods was last thing i wanted. i really do hope this period will slow down as im starting to get the dizzyness fellings and goin light headed also not feelin like i want to eat anything so i think i meed to go talk to my dr about it all as im only 3 days in and well its the worse one ive ever had... 

• RDunhamRDunham
    About 10 years ago, I decided to try Depo bc a good friend used it and loved it, she barely had a period. I had the 1st shot, started bleeding within a couple days. Went back for check up/next shot, told Dr and she said it happens get another shot and should even out. Well, after 3 shots and a total 9 months of bleeding I was so severely anemic and sick I had to go to the cancer center for IV iron treatments. Twice a week for 10 weeks, and took me forever to feel normal again. I don't recommend to ANYONE!
  • Jacquelinundr
    I hate to bump an old post but I had a similar experience and joined because I came across this post when looking for help. I got the depo shot December 20, 2012 just trying to find a way to control my periods when the dr didn't want to put me on regular bc pills. Now 11 months and 13 days later I am still bleeding. At first it was just light, then after 5 mos it stopped for 2 weeks. I was ecstatic. After that it came back and lasted for another 3 months. Towards the end of that 3 months I started bleeding so heavy I couldn't stand up and went to the gyn because my pcp and the np at the health dept kept saying it was normal and that it can stay in your system up to a year. The gyn had no problem putting me on reg bc pills to try to slow the bleeding which almost worked. I'm not bleeding so heavy but I am still bleeding. I only got the one shot so I am now still bleeding and am stuck waiting it out. It's embarrassing and it makes me feel awful every single day. I just want it to stop.
  • vivianakacreoen
    hi I am 28 years old I have a fribriod cyst and I take the depo shot since I have been taking the depo shot I have had a light period on and off for 2 plus months and no heavy one I have no kids and its making me real tired
  • NotNormal
    Got the Depo shot September 17 after i have birth the day before and I've been bleeding for five months straight heavy my Depo shot first dose ended in December but I'm still bleeding heavy that i have to take iron pills because i pass out from thin blood or something..something with oxygen and brain...they basically didn't say whether this is normal or not and I'm freaking out and frustrated because my partner isnt being satisfied like he wants to and I'm not either because of this downer period or something..any advice?