Rheumatoid Arthritis
  • BeerWenchBeerWench

Anyone else here have RA?  How do you manage? Any advice?

Thanks!

:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    So maybe I'm the only one. Went to my fabulous Rheumatologist today... I did get new meds for sleep and pain, so that's good news. Still no decision on Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis or Psariatic Arthritis. I have positive labs for ANA and Lupus and clinical symptoms for all three. I'm pretty much a train wreck.

I hate being sick and in pain. I try not to complain... but sometimes a girl needs a break.
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • PhDMommyPhDMommy
    I'm so sorry @lauriebizz.  I'm sad to say I don't have any advice other than try to keep you chin up. I'm sure it's extremely tough but we're all here if you need to vent or a shoulder to cry on.   I hope your new meds help and that you find the answers to your questions soon.  *Big Hugs*
    Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • CrashCrash
    I have a FB friend who has it. Last treatment I heard she had 7 shots of cortisone put into one knee. Obviously it's a totally hideous as far as trying to deal with it, but I have no real suggestions to make as to how to deal with it. If you're on FB, I could try to connect the two of you.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • BeerWenchBeerWench

Thanks ladies, I was able to sleep fairly well last night with new medication.  It's a vicious cycle, especially when I have a flair.  I think the hardest part is that you can’t ‘see’ it and most people don’t really know what it is.  Sometimes I feel like it’s all in my head; thankfully my husband is very considerate and is great at supporting me and making me realize that it is real.  He went with me yesterday to my appointment and actually asked the Dr for pain meds – not something I normally would have done.  I’m always worried that Doc’s are going to think I’m a pill popper

Thanks for the support.  If y’all don’t mind, I would love to be able to come here and just vent/cry about it.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

• PhDMommyPhDMommy
    Hooray for sleep!  That's great about your hubby too; I'm so glad that he's supportive.  I totally understand the not wanting to ask for pain meds thing - I'm always afraid that the Dr is going to think I'm a fraud just looking for a fix. 

Just so you know, I've bookmarked this discussion and my ears/shoulder are all yours if and when you need it! 

>:D<

Merry Christmas :) 
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Thanks, that's very kind of you.
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Thanks @megsmom and I hope you get relief soon. I noticed symptoms about a year ago and suffered from insomnia for several years before that. My hands are by far the worse; paraffin hand dips are absolute heaven! I seem to be coming out of a flair, thinking positive.

I've been reading atricles on diet and supplements. There seems to be some link, so I'm starting a food and symptom diary to see if I can find a link. And it better not be beer!

Have a Merry Christmas
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Well, I'm sad to say it doesn't seem that my new sleep meds are working and now I'm nauseated. Ugh.. It will get better
  • BMB
    Hi @lauriebizz, I have RA, among other things.  I'm on a monthly shot of Simponi and daily prednisone, as well as pain killers and muscle relaxants.  I see a rheumatologist for the RA, a pain doctor to get my pain meds each month, a neurologist for the sleep disorder and fibromyalgia symptoms, and some other docs for other shit.  It's never ending.  I have to go to 8 doctor appts in January if you count my newborn's two month check up.  

Not wanting to freak anyone out, this is just my situation.  My good days are so sporadic that I've quit working.  I just couldn't consistently make it to work anymore.  It's been really tough.  Having to go off my drugs when I got pregnant about did me in.  The Simponi helps but the side effects include a lower immune system so I get bronchitis and sinus infections at the drop of a hat.  

I keep myself on a schedule as much as possible, as much as you can with a newborn baby.  But I avoid salt, no beef or pork, booze makes it worse, stay active (this is the most important-the minute you cease any regular exercise, it gets worse) and work on stress management.  A hot shower or bath in the morning helps warm up the joints to get you moving.  Cold packs are great on the knees after working out.  Sometimes my husband wraps my knees if my legs start to swell.  

I think the hardest thing for me is having to admit my life is no longer what it used to be.  And that the pain will never fully go away.  The best I can get is to just manage it and be productive despite how I feel.  I'm not saying this is how you will be.  Everyone is different.  You read these testimonials on the 'net about how someone injected bee pollen or some shit and are completely cured.  Hey, more power to them.  I take my vitamins and supplements and follow the doctor's instructions and take each day as it comes.  Sometimes things like a change in pressure in the weather will totally fuck up your day.  There is nothing you can do about that.  Just roll with the punches and do your best.  Much luck to you! 
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    @BMB thanks for sharing. I have a friend with MS and a host of other goodies that has been a great resource as well.

I was amazed last time the pressure changed; I actually thought about going to the ER from the pain. I'm desperately trying to find a way to at least be aware of potential pressure changes so I can he ready and try to get ahead of the pain.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for a diagnosis? It's so frustrating that no one can nail it down. Though I'm not sure it really matters... It seems that they can only treat the symptoms anyway.

Take care
    -Laurie
  • BMB
    Hey Laurie,  I'm sitting here tonight in pain and got my cane back out so I can get up off the couch easier.  Looking at me, you'd never know this is going on.  I just turned 35 by the way.  I was diagnosed in 2009 and I first noticed symptoms in 2006.  My biggest complaint at the time was fatigue and I had already had my hypothyroidism diagnosed.  So I knew it wasn't my stupid thyroid being uppity.  

The first two docs I saw for the complaint about fatigue were general doctors and they said I'm probably bipolar.  Because I was a little stressed out and unbelievably exhausted.  Seriously.  I could have kicked them both in the nuts.

My endocrinologist finally ran some more tests and that's when they noticed the high ANA's.  The rheum I saw told me that it was probably fibromyalgia and since I wanted to get pregnant, he wouldn't treat me.  He said, even if I run these tests again and they come up high, I don't think it's lupus.  But he didn't even explore the RA factor at that time.  I ditched that asshole and it took me another year to get the guts to find a new doctor and try to figure it out.  By then I was having pain on top of the fatigue.  My RA factor was high (not super high but high enough to be abnormal) and my doctor said with my blood tests and symptoms, she was treating me as a RA patient.  

If you have something like RA, it does feel like all they are doing is treating symptoms.  But some people do go into periods of remission.  Maybe you can be one of those people!  So far, I have not had a remission which sucks.  I'm seeing a counselor now because the constant pain/aches and limitations has really kicked my depression into high gear.  I filed for disability but am not bad off enough to get approved.  It's so stressful trying to pay student loans and not working.  Bah humbug!

I hope you find some answers soon.  Learn from me and if your doctor can't figure it out, get a second opinion right away.  Don't waste time on it.  Untreated RA can lead to permanent joint damage as well as heart disease.  It's amazing what your immune system can do to itself when it's all wonky!  Feel free to PM me if you want my email address.  I'm new to this site and may forget to log back in and see any responses to the thread, but I will try to remember.  I have a one month old and am finding it challenging to balance my health and her needs.  Good times.  :)

• catzfan
    I was diagnosed at age 2 with RA and early on my only course of action was gold shots and upwards of 36-50 buffering daily.( should have bought stock, lol). It's gotten worse as I age but the combo that works for me right now anyway is Celebrex 3x a day, Arava once a day and Humeria shots every other week. I keep predispose on hand for flares. Other drugs that have been helpful include sulphanilomide. Excerise helps but some days the best I can do is lift light weights and maybe walk a little. I try and butch through the pain if I have any when exercising because usually I come out feeling better.
    My rheumatologist is great but a young pup. When I was in to see him last he had a series of questions that finally led me to say, doc, I hsve had this disease longer than you have been alive. Felt good to say it and he laughed and we moved on.
    Hugs to you...it may take time to find your right combo so be patient and be an advocate for yourself.
  • catzfan
    Sorry, made a mistake....took upwards of 50 bufferin daily...
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    @megsmom, @BMB and @catzfan - thanks so much for sharing.  And @PhDMommy for your support.

My own journey started this past year when I went to my general physician and asked for a topical for a few dime sized patches on my elbows that have been bothering me since I was 35 - I'm 39 now.  They decided to run blood tests and low and behold my ANA came back high.  They scheduled me immediately for a 
    Rheumatologist and I was seen two weeks later.  He promptly told me there was nothing wrong with me and to come back in 6 months for a recheck.  So I ditched him and found another 

Rheumatologist. And today I still have no idea what I have - could be any of 12 million things - none of which you can see other than a few dime sized patches on my elbows. 

-Laurie
  • PhDMommyPhDMommy
    Any time @lauriebizz, I really hope you find some answers.
    >:D<
  • BMB
    I'm praying for you to find the answers you need to move forward toward a healthier life.  It seems odd that no one is addressing your blood work and physical symptoms.
  • canadamom
    I have Crohn's which is in the same auto immune family as RA, Fibro etc.  I have the joint pain, fatigue and abdominal issues.

Maybe we should have an Auto immune disorder catagory!!!
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Yeah for us!  Okay, that was a bit of a stretch.  .@canadamom - Chrons is not pretty and I do not evny you.  I had a friend in College that suffered from that.  

Today I was blessed to have lunch with all three of my kids - then had to race home, sweating and praying I would make it in time.  Ugh.... thankfully my meds have helped in that area as a side effect, but I skipped a dose on New Years and apparently my tummy didn't like lunch.  Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever mentioned that to my Rheumatologist. Maybe I should.

Nothing like crapping on yourself in public with your kids as witness.  Thank goodness it's only happened twice and once with a kid but I had a valid reason (ie: surgery). 

Laurie
  • BMB
    I don't have Chron's but have IBS-constipation.  No reason found for it, things just move very slowly.  Add medications to it and it gets worse.  Thank you Miralax!
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Yeah for good nights sleep last night. I'm going to try my recipe for success again
    1. Fan for noise
    2. Heated mattress cover (I LOVE mine and will always have one)
    3. Lavender on my pillow
    4. Muscle relaxer meds
    Let's see if I can get two nights sleep in a row!
    -Laurie
  • BMB
    I'm flaring like a mo'fo this week but I hope to get it under control and be feeling better soon.  I wish I could live in my bathtub or get a hot tub at the house.  Oh, what a dream.  :)
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    I can't imagine. I do have a friend who's mom got a hot tub with a prescription. There is hope! I hope your little one feels better soon.
    Laurie
  • MalmqukMalmquk
    I don't have ra but I do have a herniated disc in my lower back, I don't sleep and have the body of a 60 year old woman, most days I struggle to put iron my shoes :-(

They can operate key hole, but the disc is I'm a tricky place and its not been recommended.

I take tramadol 3 times a day so I feel your pain, especially when it comes to sleep, oh how I pray for a restful might :-(
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    @malmquk welcome to the club ;) Just like our disease, we don't discriminate.

Have you tried accupuncture? I have back pain associated with my sciatica and finally was able to give up my 24 pills a day with accupuncture and acupressure.

Not sure if that would help, but it's worth a try. I also researched an implant that would block the pain.

I hope you feel better and get some rest.
    Laurie
  • MalmqukMalmquk
    I really want to try it, it's my next "fix" but it's very pricey for a session in England :-(
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    @Laurie you sure have been through it. I'm thankful that I have yet to have a debilitating flare. My biggest complaint is fatigue, insomnia and my hands ache.

I'm switching the time I take my meds, hoping that will allow me to sleep better. And of course I forgot the camomeal tea when I was at the store today.

Hope everyone has a great night!
    Laurie
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Okay, I have a question. According to the Arthritis weather map- tomorrow will be a rough day for me. At this point I'm trying to figure out if the weather is a trigger for me. In the interim, today my hands are so swollen I can't get my rings off. They don't hurt, but look and feel very swollen.

Is this a precursor for tomorrow? Or just a coincidence?
  • BeerWenchBeerWench

Thanks @Laurie, I went home on my lunch hour and turned on my parafin hand dip.  The hands are still swollen and one knuckle seems a bit sore - right middle.  I could flip people off ;)

Anyway, have a great day and I hope everyone is feeling great today.

Laurie

• domsmom
    Hey everyone!  I have been lurking this site for months but just started posting.  I was just diagnosed with RA yesterday.  Both my RA and CCP(?) were very high so my Rheumatologist said it's like 99% sure I have it.  I have had traveling joint pain for the past couple years but just in the past month it has gotten really really bad.  My ankle flaired up about 4 weeks ago so bad that I actually did go to the ER.  That's kind of what got the ball rolling and it has been a rough 4 weeks with pain but mobic seems to be helping and at least it isnt every day.  They also put me on Plaquenel.  I just started that today.  I want to get pregnant again at some point but this has really thrown me for a loop.  Dr. says I can stay on meds when I get pregnant but I'm not comfortable with that.  Ahh I am going to hold off on TTC for at east 6 months now. 
  • anotheranonanotheranon
    Hi @domsmom and welcome! I was diagnosed with RA about 1 year ago, after being in pain (and denial) for over a year. Mine came on quickly, no warning and little family history of arthritis (one aunt with RA). My hands and feet are the worst, with some knee swelling/stiffness. I got steroid shots every month at first to manage the swelling and inflammation until my body adjusted to the meds.  No chance of pregnancy, so I'm on methotrexate. It helps a lot, but my hands still aren't 100% and the bad days seem to be weather-related. I'm not familiar with Plaquenel, please update on how well it works for you. :)
  • domsmom
    I will let you know how it works!  I can't realy do any type of steroids because I also have type 1 diabetes (lucky me, right?).  Type 1 is also an autoimmune tho, so the dr. told me if you have one it is very common to have other autoimmune disorders as well.  My mom actualy has RA too tho so I guess there are plenty of reasons why I got it.  I hope the medicine works well!  I keep you in the loop. 
  • BMB
    I was on Simponi and Plaquenel when I got pregnant.  I had to immediately stop both.  But my RA didn't go into remission and I was in so much pain!  So they put me on prednisone again and I also got shots in my hips and knees.  That helped a lot.  I tried to walk every other day until I got so big, it just  hurt to move.  The last trimester was really hard for me.  I'm not sure I'll have another kid because it was hard on my body.  Plus I"m 35 now.  
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Had a few rough days this week. Need a few prayers please.
  • [Deleted User]
    YOU GOT them LADY!!   >:D<
  • BMB
    Prayers to you!!!!
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    I have RA and my husband does also. His is 100 times worse than mine. I take Methotrexate and Arava and Dh just started a monthly IV infusion for his. Hope you start feeling better soon! >:D<
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • domsmom

Laurie I hope you are feeling better! 

I have been on Plaquenil for  8 weeks and it seems to be working, sort of.  The good thing is I haven't had any really really bad flares but I do still feel joint aches often.  Also the morning stiffness (lol) has been bad in my ankles.  It seems to only take about 30 minutes to get better though.  Just hard to carry my toddler down the steps in the AM. 

The one thing I was not prepared for is how TIRED I am all the time.  ahh its bad.  I have almost eliminated all gluten from my diet and it seems to be helping some.  but i am just so tired and my DH doesnt really get it.  Oh well, I know it could be MUCH worse.  Just thought I would share and see how other people are feeling!

• BeerWenchBeerWench
    @domsmom Ahhhh Plaqunil... So glad you are getting some relief. Are you taking anything else? I'm also on Mobic which is an anti inflamitory -- maybe call your Rheumatologist and ask.

On another note, I've had a bad sciatica flair for about a month. Nothing was seeming to work, until my orthopedic gave me Nurorotin. It has been amazing!
  • BMB
    Since my pregnancy, my meds aren't working as well.  So going to try Enbrel.  Also trying to wean off prednisone because I"m eating EVERYTHING.  Like I need weight gain on top of these crappy jeans!  Also found out my TM joint (in the jaw) is really degraded and I have to consult with a surgeon.  I hope they find some surgery alternatives because as much as I'd like to lose weight, I don't want to have my jaw wired shut and eat soft foods for two months.  Yaaarrrrrrgh, the stress is getting to me.
  • domsmom

@ Lauriebizz I am also taking mobic but I am nervous about taking it everyday because I am also type 1 diabetic and I don't want to do anything else to comprimise my kidneys.  BUT my rheumy says its ok so if the pain does get bad I may have to start taking it daily.  I'm having a pretty bad flare in my knee right now, the weird thing is it only hurts when I try to walk.  Unlike other flares I have had in the past, it is ok when I am sitting, so I guess that is good?  lol who knows.

@BMB I hope you are getting the answere you're looking for with your jaw! My mom was using Enbrel and she said it really helped, then her insurance decided they didn't want to cover it (go figure). 

Hope everyone is having a good week!

• Anonymoose
    Not sure if you ladies are still posting but I stumbled upon this discussion board today:). I have had RA since I was 6 and needless to say at age 31, it's taken it's toll however it all seemed fairly manageable until I had my baby 4 months ago! I had a blissful pregnancy with only minor pain from the years of wear and tear on my hip but otherwise felt amazing! Then 5 weeks post partum I was hit by pain, stiffness swelling etc etc. I could barely get around and it has never been this terrible. I've had some of my darkest days and it makes me angry because I want so badly to enjoy my little one without being in pain 24/7. I am hoping that the Humira kicks into gear soon! Otherwise I am not going to be able to get around very well. Trying to stay positive!
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    @beerwench how are you feelin? Ive been off my meds (except for Motrin) for a few months now. They didnt seem to be doing anything for me. I have good and bad days. I am always tired and stiff, but most days the stiffness diminishes toward afternoon.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    @purpleflowers I seem to be fairly okay. Still battling sciatica and am going to have to schedule an epidural soon.

The Nurotion isn't getting all the pain anymore and I'm tired of not sleeping due to pain meds. Turns out that hydrcodone and oxycodone wire me and I can't sleep.

@BMB have your mom call the manufacturer, they have $ she can use. There are also grants she can apply for.
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    I'm bumping this thread, I noticed someone recently mentioned having RA (I cannot remember who it is). Please feel free to join in.
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    @Hairbowsandtraincars there are a few of us that can relate. Welcome to SM
  • @beerwench Thank you for the invite. It took so long because I don't get that many opportunities to type since my littles are always trying to help me.

I was diagnosed with Palindromic Arthritis after my first miscarriage in 2006, but it was probably RA or at least, it developed into RA very soon after. I began having major issues and could not get myself dressed or do anything with my hands. It took me a while to admit that it was RA since I didn't want it. After three more miscarriages, my doctor said it was probably from the RA, but sent me for testing. No problems found. I had started Enbrel right before my third miscarriage, but it hadn't had time to really take effect. Two months later, I got pregnant again and I was able to carry her past term, actually. lol. It went into remission until after my caboose was born in June. The flare has been quite painful and has made things difficult. Considering my oldest isn't even 3 yet. lol. I love them all three and I wouldn't change a thing. :)

I'm glad that y'all found me. I like having the support and hope I can help out, too.
    Mommy of three littles 3 and under. I need a nap. :)
  • mommyof2_76
    I started having symptoms when I was 30 weeks pregnant with DD 9 mo. I was diagnosed with RA at the end of March. I started with prednisone and methotrexate. Then added plaquenil and sulfasalazine. I've cut down to 2.5mg of prednisone a day and I feel it in my hands again. I see my rheumy in a month and will probably go on Enbrel. @BMB I noticed that you said you got pregnant while on plaquenil and had to stop taking it. I'm curious about that because I mentioned to my doctor that I would like to TTC after my DD 1st birthday and he said it would be safe to take throughout the pregnancy as he thinks that although some people experience remission during pregnancy I will not be one of them since I developed it during pregnancy. He did say that I absolutely had to be off methotrexate for 3 mo. Before TTC. I really don't know a lot about RA because the only person in my family that had it was my great grandma and she died 28 years ago.
  • mommyof2_76
    Bump
  • Supermom120
    Well, I don't have RA, but I do have very severe arthritis in my hips. I actually had to have a total hip replacement when I was 21 on my right hip. It had gotten so bad I was unable to walk and so my ortho scheduled me for surgery. My left hip has bad arthritis as well, but they don't want to do surgery yet bc "it isn't bad enough yet". Kinda pisses me off and frustrates me. I have horrible pain on a daily basis. My DH has to carry me upstairs at night when it's really bad. I don't really understand why he won't do the surgery while I am still young enough to have a relatively easy recovery, especially when he has said I will need to have it replaced one day. So right now I am in pain management. They have me on Celebrex and Norco. I hate going there. It makes me feel like some kind of pill popping junkie, when I have legitimate pain issues. But the thing about arthritis is you can't "see" it. I just had a series of three cortisone type shots, in hopes that it would help with the pain and stiffness. It gets really cold where I am in the winter and it makes my hips hurt so much more. Unfortunately I haven't had any noticeable relief from the shots. Too bad bc they hurt like a mo-fo!! It's hard for me to not get depressed over it. The whole "why me" pity party I throw for myself. It sucks. I have had these issues literally my whole life. I was born with bilateral hip dysplacia and have had multiple surgeries.
    I can empathize with what you are going through. >:D<
  • BMB
    Hey all!

Yes, my rheum did have me go off the plaquinel when I got pregnant.  I wonder why the difference of opinion on that?  Because I did NOT go into remission at all.  I had terrible hip and knee pain during the pregnancy.  No one seemed to give a shit either but after much bitching about it, they put me on prednisone and I have not been able to get off of it since.  My daughter turns 1 on Weds.  I am on so much meds right now for a lot of things and I worry I won't be able to get off of enough of it to try for another baby in a year or so.  If I could stay on Plaquinel, that would help!

I read an article a few months ago about autism and autoimmune disease.  The article said some autistic children were born to mother's with undiagnosed diseases like Celiac's, RA, etc.  It kind of made me glad I got pregnant when I was on Simponi and Plaquinel.  But who knows, the data on autism is all over the place. 

To the person whose doc won't do hip surgery, can you get another opinion?  If your husband has to carry you up the stairs, oh my lord, that is not right!!