If your 5 yr old......
  • horsehotti
    Was throwing a temper tantrum of all temper tantrums, because he didnt get a $40 toy at target, what would you do?

Share, and then I'll share what dh did and what happened
  • biancaleebiancalee
    My 5 year old has actually done this exact thing, and I picked him up, put him over my shoulder, kicking and screaming, and we left Target.
  • RagingRachRagingRach
    I'd take my kid out and leave! There would be other consequences like being grounded from cartoons for a day or two.
  • LLBLLB
    Beat their ass!!! Okay well I wouldn't actually do it but I'd want to...

I've been in that position with my twins and I left the cart right there in the middle of the aisle and dragged their asses out of the store kicking and screaming more than once. Got some pretty nasty looks but whatever. They learned REAL quick not to fuck with momma in the store!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Yep, she'd be carried out kicking and screaming. No way
    Does that shit fly with me!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    Ive carried her out to the car, waited till she calmed down, then brought her back in to apologize to the workers then we left

ETA, i did buy her brother a toy for behaving
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • horsehotti
    Dh carried him out, I and the other 3 finished up as quick as we could. He got few spankings and buckled into his chair while they waited for us. The cops were called.
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    why were the cops called?
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • ABCABC
    The cops were called?! By whom?
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • georgie1219
    If he was the only child with me, I would carry him out, strap him in his seat, lower all the windows and tell him we would go back in when he calmed down and would not be returning to the toy aisle. I would ignore him and play on my phone until he got the message. Chances are he would pitch another fit when we got back in the store and would get the same treatment. I never wanted to give him the power of making me leave somewhere by going all nutso. When you have more than one child with you though, this approach becomes more difficult. All hell and brimstone still washes down on the perp when we get home!
  • KrabbyKay
    I have taken tantrumming kid out, sat in car with said kid till through, and resumed shopping (because I had to, shopping was an epic excursion then). Kid made any necessary apologies.
  • KrabbyKay
    Wait, wtf? Cops? What *happened*???
  • LLBLLB
    The cops were called?!?! Who the hell called the cop because your husband removed your tantruming child from a store?!?!
  • MomaFive
    Good for getting his ass outta the store - I would have too. Wtf were the cops called?
    Not up for a debate so heres some space fillaaaaa
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness
  • LLBLLB
    Regardless of your personal opinion spanking is not illegal. Sorry but you have no right to call the cops!
  • eappleeapple
    @123 you would call the cops if you saw someone turn their freaking out child over their lap and swatted their ass a couple times?

I don't believe in sparking but I have spanked. The only time I ever did was when Lily was freaking out in a store and I could not get her out of her tantrum state. If someone called the cops on me for 1 spanking, 1 spanking in all of my parenting career, I'd of lost my fucking shit.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • Quietmom
    My five year old? I would've walked his little butt right out of the store. Period. No toy. No going back. He might have gotten spanked, but spanking is a true rarity for me so I really don't know. Depending where he was he would be lucky if i didnt make him go back and apologize (did that once in the grocery store when he freaked because I wouldnt buy him a candy bar). And no. I wouldn't call the cops for spanking... beating or like seriously hurting (yes there is a HUGE difference) yes, but a few swats on the butt and getting tucked into the car while still howling? No. I'd lose my shit too @eapple!
    Like a river and a waterfall, a strong person channels their own path...
  • LLBLLB
    @eapple you have spanked your child? Holy crap mind=blown!!!

Eta: totally not judging you one way or another I was just shocked to read that is all.
  • eappleeapple
    @llb I really don't think it's an effective discipline tool which is why I don't use it. *if* I thought it would make my child a better person and it worked for our family I wouldn't be against it. Basically in another life time I'm a full on baby beater ;)
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Walk out and leave and go straight home.
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • BeachyBeachy
    I didn't see the post that sparked this, so going off what I see right this second, if I saw a parent spank, like controlled swats in public, nbd. But if I saw a terrified child and crazy mad parent I might call the police. I like to think people act better in public than private, so a terrified child+crazy adult would be a red flag for me.
    And here's what I do, I get real close and whisper "think acting up will change my mind?" The answer is always no. So hush your face or ....... And I don't leave, I will not leave. My children will act right in public, and at home. My children get a pinch. Yep I said it. I pinch them if they keep acting a fool. They know better. I have zero tolerance. I warn them, and then there are consequences that affect them, not all of us.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • lisaswk
    I sat on the floor with my arms and legs around my son until he calmed down and acted human. He was around 5 at the time and I was in the store with my 4 other kids. It took him about 20 minutes to calm down. I got all kinds of looks and the manager came by cuz he was screaming like a banshee. I just held him and smiled and said we would be ok soon.
  • CrashCrash
    I just ignore my screaming kids. Just push the cart with a completely zen look on my face.....there was once a 3 yo and 5 yo screaming and dragging on the floor clinging to my ankles....but after about half the store length, they realized that being dragged along the floor kind of sucked. Then they let go, wiped their tears, an I think that was probably close to the last tantrum either of them through.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • Tanstaafl2Tanstaafl2
    I'd secretly record her tantrum on my iPhone, post the video online, and watch it go viral. =))
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL)
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I have asked DS do you want this to be easy , he straitens up an acts right and might get something ( apple or favorite lunch item ) or the hard way , no treats and loss of tv . Sometimes he says easy and all is good. When leaving a playground I ask him easy , we walk off quietly or hard and I carry him over my shoulder kicking and screaming. He has actually said hard way for those ! Lol. But then I would swing him up over my shoulder and he would giggle.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    I must have missed a deleted or edited comment, but same as pretty much everyone else... I'd have (and have) either taken them from the store & left until they calmed down, or I've brought them into the restroom & held them close until they could focus & control themselves.

I have no clue why the police would need to be called unless someone was BEATING a child. Not a few swats on a bum... but full out POUNDING on the child.

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• horsehotti
    Cops were called because dh spanked my son twice, on the bottom, in "public" even though he was in the truck. Not in anger, trying to get him to calm down. Ds is one of those that once the tantrum starts he will scream and carry on for hours. We were going to be in the truck for at least 4+ more hours. We aren't near home, 8 hours away. We went into target to stretch out legs, try and find something for all the kids to do to occupy the last little while.
  • horsehotti
    Pretty sure she made it sound like be was beating him. He wasn't. Ds was called down by the time I got out. Not so much as a tear.
  • LLBLLB
    So what happened when the cops showed up?
  • undercoverbanana
    My kids, I hate to say.......never threw fits over stuff like that. I was a very broke single mom, no child support. ....... Their very mature, sad looks at that stuff broke my heart. Mainly, it was me telling them that I would try. But groceries and bills had to come first. And I hated having to tell them that....but I wanted them to know that I wanted them to have stuff, too. I just didnt know if I could do it. (but I did have the cops show up once when I was brushing dds hair, and she screamed bloody murder. And demonstrated what I was doing. )
    i'm nekkid.
  • horsehotti
    Pulled us over, asked about the incindent, went back to talk with the other officer, came back, told us next time to do it in public, there wasn't any reason for him to get involved. Dh rolled down the window and showed him and now calm child ( who by the way didnt get a toy, while the other 3 did). Gave him back his licsense and sent us on our way.
  • undercoverbanana
    Omg.....kids are awesome. Oh, the joys of parenthood. You guys are lucky that you can make videos on your phone and hope for a million hitson YouTube, and some advertising money. Wish I'd had that.
    i'm nekkid.
  • Strawberry
    I can't remember the last time ds5 had a serious tantrum like that, he's the more dramatic one too. But when he would have little fits, I do pretty much as Beachy does. my other 2 kids will not suffer for the nonsense one kids is pulling. I ain't having it, an they know this! I've also done what Crash has done. I'll just have ds2 sitting and strapped in kicking and screaming, me looking like a robot pushing the cart! dd8 was an angel! No joke! She was just perfect, now not so much but still I can't complain. Carry on.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    At least the police were reasonable. There's no head shake emoticon or that's what I'd be putting up, for fuck's sake. It's usually pretty obvious when you do a "controlled swat" on the backside vs., oh I don't know, wailing the shit out of your kid?
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • PcdmomPcdmom
    When DS7 was around 3, he had a meltdown in Walmart bc he wanted something. I mean on the floor, screaming crying, kicking mess. I stepped back & stated with everyone else. It last a good 3 mins straight & when he was done I remember he stood up & looked at me & I said are you done? He said yes but he wanted whatever it was, some toy. I looked at him & put him in the cart & said after that stunt? I don't think so. He cried the whole way out, but full blown tantrums I just let ride out where ever we were. Luckily both DSs never had them very often, but I never rewarded tantrums.
    "Everyone deserves the chance to fly"- Elphaba
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints"
  • PcdmomPcdmom
    *stared
  • mamafinmamafin
    Time out. DS3 knows it doesn't matter where we are, time out is still what he's getting. And if that doesn't help, we leave and there will be no tv or what ever that day.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • sanityseekersanityseeker

I think you guys did the right thing 10000%
    "If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?" -Castiel
    "Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.” -Dobby
    Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.
  • wonderwomanx3
    Ds13 threw a fit at the mall when he was almost 3. I took him into a fitting room & let him scream it out. I was scared someone would come in & ask me if there was a problem but nobody did. I spanked him once but that did nothing. I stood in the doorway to the fitting room & let him get it out of his system. Finally he started to calm down & I asked him if he was done. He said yes. I told him how he was gonna behave & if he didn't we would come right back & start all over again. Then we calmly left.
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    My kids pretty much don't do that anymore...because they know that they'll get their ass beat, either at home or at the store. Either way, it doesn't fly.
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • PcdmomPcdmom

My kids pretty much don't do that anymore...because they know that they'll get their ass beat, either at home or at the store. Either way, it doesn't fly.

Lord know that's why I never did it! Lol

• GingersnapGingersnap
    I haven't dealt with a temper tantrum in a store for awhile, but I'm pretty sure we just carried the kid out of the store over a shoulder or plopped him in the cart and continued shopping. An epic tantrum? We probably would have left. Circumstances vary.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • GritsGrits
    I'm pretty sure my face contorts to something from "The Exorcist" when my kids start to act a fool in public. Because as soon as I whip around and start to whisper to them what is going to happen if they don't straighten up, a look of dread washes over them like nothing I've seen before. It must be horrible. But it works...
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    Pcdmom said:

Lord know that's why I never did it! Lol

Amen.
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • SassySassy
    I've never had to deal with this, and I don't know how I would. I don't want to spank. I had also never thought about the fact that removing them when they're tantruming might teach them that tantruming will get them out of a place they don't want to be.... so, anyway its interesting.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    DD used to do this on a semi-regular basis. I would just pick her up, or, when she got older, get a death grip on her arm and tow her out of the store. I never spanked her but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like killing her.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Grits said:

I'm pretty sure my face contorts to something from "The Exorcist" when my kids start to act a fool in public. Because as soon as I whip around and start to whisper to them what is going to happen if they don't straighten up, a look of dread washes over them like nothing I've seen before. It must be horrible. But it works...

I've ALMOST mastered that look! I WANT that look. A friend's mom had "the look" NOBODY fucked with her: kids, adults, animals. I don't think I ever heard her raise her voice. Once.

I admit, I'm really lucky with mine, she'll do it home, but she rarely acts up in public. And you know now I've said this, we'll have the mother of all tantrums next time we're out!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • horsehotti
    I wish I could perfect the look, but alas I don't know that it would have mattered. Not sure how to put it into words, but for some reason when the kid gets something in his head, it takes forever for him to get it out. He will repeat the same thing over and over for an hour or more, until he either gets it, or finally finds something else to dwell on. I often wonder if I shouldn't get him tested for it. Because its over everything, not just toys. Food, drinks, toys, clothes, seeing some one. Like today, he has asked more times than I can count, " when are we going to Grandmas?" We aren't even going to grandmas today!! I've tried over and over to explain to him that we aren't going, but he won't listen.
  • CinnaCinna
    I've never had to deal with this in public thank goodness but I'm awesome at ignoring him when he'd pull that crap at home. I just continue about my day and tell him to come find me when he's done.
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • backwoodsmommy
    We live really far from town so there's just no way i can leave when the kids are whinging. I start singing "Just Keep Swimming" sometimes outloud and I keep on shopping. And yes, I'm the mom in Target with the kids eating Lunchables I haven't paid for yet. STFU Universe, they are quiet!