How do you know when your child is lying?
  • Teachermom03Teachermom03
    When your child is in the next room, screaming at the top of his lungs that he is NOT TIRED and that he IS CALMED DOWN, he may be lying to you.

Not that my kid would ever do that.
    Proud mom of DS born 11/17/2008 and DS/DD twins born 2/19/2013
  • shate98shate98
    Or this one:

"Why are you not wearing underwear?"
    "The alligator under my bed ate it."
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Big Beastie's actions speak louder than words. Like literally. I'll hear him upstairs in our room because our floors creak, so I'll call up to him get out of our room. He'll call back down that's he's not in our room he's in his room. Buuuuuuuullshit, buddy! He's almost 3.5 so there's not much major lying going on yet. Lil Beastie is just walking and eh with the talking, which means he's still in that sweet, adorable stage. I'll mourn the day he hits the terrible toddler years.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • KidsnkatsKidsnkats
    I bluff it til one confesses. Usually they have guilty look or can't maintain eye contact. So far nothing big. Just lil stuff. Like who hit who first.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Yeah, the guilty look and lack of eye contact. If there were 7 muffin bars in the box and there are now 4, telling me you only had one, then two, ain't gonna fly. Arithmetic, you see, is useful. And the rest of that box is being packed off with Dad to be left at work.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor

"Did you push your brother?"

"Well...no" or "Um...no" It's the hesitation that gets them every time.lol

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    A girlfriend of mine tells her kids that she can tell they are lying if their tongues turn black.. but only mamas can see it.  So she asks them to stick out their tongues, and when they are lying they refuse. Sort of cracks me up..
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    If Jameson answers "anything" (his word for "nothing") to anything I ask, he's obviously lying.  "What did you just do?"  "Anything."  "What did you just throw?"  "Anything!".
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • shate98shate98

A girlfriend of mine tells her kids that she can tell they are lying if their tongues turn black.. but only mamas can see it.  So she asks them to stick out their tongues, and when they are lying they refuse. Sort of cracks me up..

I'm stealing that one!
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • QueseraseraQueserasera
    Opening scene today: Strawberry stems and juice litter my freshly mopped floor.
    "I told you not to eat the strawberries!"
    "I didn't! It was E!"
    Uh huh. As he has a huuuuge red stained mouth all the way around.
    Sometimes there's evidence bucko.
    And sometimes I bluff.
    I am mom. Hear me roar.
  • biancaleebiancalee
    When she's breathing.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    Whoever uses the TODDI defense first is the guilty party.

And the only time they aren't lying is when that sorry bastard NotMe did it. I'm going to find him & kick his ass.
  • lisaswk
    I used to tell my kids that they had green dots behind their ears. Now if they complain about having canker sores in their mouths it is because they told a lie. Or they have gonorrhea.
  • Teachermom03Teachermom03
    My baby sister (now 30) told my mom that the dog had pooped in her swimsuit. We still give her shit (teehee) about it.
    Proud mom of DS born 11/17/2008 and DS/DD twins born 2/19/2013
  • jennygoat
    Me : What are you doing? ( repeat 3 times no answer).
    WHATAREYOUDOING!
    Dd: mom. It's not like I'm not going to do nothing.
    Me: what does that mean ?
    Dd: I already did it.

That's my girl. Admit to nothing and talk circular BS. Maybe she will be a politician.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    My kids start backing up and give shifty eyes.. I wish df would catch on to this.. with him the wrong kid gets in trouble.. leaving the other one to do it again...
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • KrabbyKay
    My little DD used to bust herself "Mom! DON'T SEE ME!"
    Or they'd say the cats did things....like opening chips or whatever. Mmm hmmm. Cats don't like chips, and they don't have opposable thumbs, either!
  • notperfectnotperfect
    I always knew when they were going to tell a lie, any question I asked them was answered with "what" did you do the dishes...what? did you eat the last cookie.....what? caught them every time.

I did have a friend of mine that told her kids that a red dot would appear on their foreheads when they lied, so if they told a lie they instinctively covered their foreheads...pure genius
  • Tanstaafl2Tanstaafl2
    Mine generally don' flat out lie to me, but they get all lawyer-like on me.  Dancing on technicalities, explaing why it' really the fault of one of his brothers (or us), or saying we owed him, etc.  If rationalizing were an Olympic sport, my 3 boys would sweep the medals every time.
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL)
  • undercoverbanana
    Oh, lord.....when my boyo took debate, and got on the debate team, he thought he was a damn lawyer.
    He forgot mom is pretty much a forensic expert. (you are six feet tall. Your sister is five foot three. That smeary handprint is way too high for your sister to reach that. if she had jumped, there would be drag prints. That's a straight forward handprint, and I think that's chili. You had chili cheese fries for dinner. And she's too lazy to get a step stool. And by the way, wash that crud from being your ears. It smells like a dead man's feet. Or camembert cheese.)
    i'm nekkid.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    DS 13 will tell on himself.
    He comes into the room. " whatever B is saying I didn't do it ! Especialy if its that I hit him "
    DS 5 comes into room crying ." D hit me on my head !"
    DS 13 " see I told you he was going to lie "
    #-o
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • firefighters_wifefirefighters_wife
    KrabbyKay said:

Or they'd say the cats did things....like opening chips or whatever. Mmm hmmm. Cats don't like chips, and they don't have opposable thumbs, either!

Part of this isn't necessarily true our cat LOVES chips!
  • sanityseekersanityseeker
    Both of my kids' eyebrows shoot way up and their eyes get all big. They know I can tell that now though so they'll do it when they're NOT lying just to prove me wrong. The older they get, the bigger assholes they are. 

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?" -Castiel
    "Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.” -Dobby
    Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.
  • BankMom
    My DS19 smiles when he lies. Like a big, cheesy grin (my ex, their dad, does it as well). I get right in his face (which by the time he was 15 meant standing on something so I could look straight into his eyes) and say "Are you lying?" and if he is his mouth will start to twitch immediately. It's awesome! DS14 rarely tries to put things over on me because he hates confrontation so lying is very, very rare and he looks miserable when he tries lol
    "...and when her feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh, shit! She's awake!"
  • KrabbyKay

KrabbyKay said:

Part of this isn't necessarily true our cat LOVES chips!

Ok well Marvin ate everything, including chips, and he got into hella lotta things.... But even Marvin couldn't open sealed packages!!!! This even came about because I occasionally blamed the kids for Marvin's doings!!!
    They never blamed the correct cat. If they said it was Marvin, I might have thought it over, but they usually blamed the enormous mellow orange tabby, who could barely be bothered to change sleeping positions!!!
  • GritsGrits
    @KrabbyKay my DD4 used to say "Don't see me!" I used to get so tickled at her.

DD9 is a terrible liar. She becomes far too serious, and hesitates.

DD4 is honest to a fault. I have yet to catch her lying. I think she's witnessed her sister suffer too many punishments as a result of lying.

DS1 doesn't speak yet, so he obviously hasn't started lying yet. He's far too proud of his mideeds at this point to lie anyway. But I so dread the next couple of years with this one. He's so mischievous.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • goddessisis
    What about ADD kids? How do you help them with lying? My DD8 was just diagnosed with ADD and she lies like a wonderful Persian rug all day every day and then screams I am a bitch and unfair and I ALWAYS pick on her, nevermind 9 times out of 10 SHE is the culprit of whatever crap went down. I can't even have a normal conversation with her some days. :p My other DD10 I know its her because she immediatley gets that guilty look and gets shifty. 
  • LLBLLB
    Dd6 cries and/or runs to her bedroom. Ds6 gets the "shifty eyes" and looks away from me when he is lying.
  • mommaomommao
    But how do you discourage the lying?