wtf is "american" chicken and rice?
  • undercoverbanana
    So hubs and dd want "American" chicken and rice....they can't agree on what it is......
    Every version of chicken and rice I have ever heard of is chicken (sometimes browned first), sometimes random finely chopped veggies, and rice. All cooked together in whatever fucking way to infuse the rice with chicken flavor.
    Dh says broccoli. I asked "broccoli rice casserole with chicken"? nope. That's not it. Dd said "its like fried rice, only you dont cook it together." wtf....do they want? I asked if they wanted broiled/pan fried/ baked chicken with steamed rice and veggies. They said no.
    So.....you dont cook rice with the chicken, you dont cook rice without the chicken. I dont know wtf they are talking about.
    French, Chinese, Italian, Mexican,Creole, Cajun, southern, Vietnamese chicken and rice is all cooked together. What the hell are they talking about? I didnt know there was an American chicken and rice. did I miss something? Chicken and rice is kind of determined where you grew up and where your grandmas from. As far as I know.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    I just can't figure out wtf they are talking about. As far as I know, there's no standard recipe. I may just make them present me with a recipe.
    i'm nekkid.
  • LLBLLB
    Cook chicken, cook rice, cook broccoli. Place everything on a plate and there you have chicken, rice and broccoli :-)
  • undercoverbanana
    Dd. Says no broccoli. .......plus.....it sounds gross. Dh says it's like chicken pot pie, dd says it's like fried rice. I think they are both full of crap.
    i'm nekkid.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Tell them to each make their own damn food.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• QueseraseraQueserasera
    My mom would put rice, mix in cream of chicken soup and water and stick chicken breasts in 9x13 pan and bake it.
    I guess you could add whatever veggies to it too
    I am mom. Hear me roar.
  • undercoverbanana
    Im going to make them give me a recipe. They are both talking about different things. I haven't made chicken and rice in ages, but to me....its either rice, chicken browned and deglazed in red wine with lighly browned onion, shallots, garlic, celery, and thrown in a pot with the raw rice, and the cooking liquid, or some random mild green chile with onion, garlic, cumin, cream of chicken soup, browned chicken, rice, cooking liquid, or Asian herbs and spices, raw chicken, and rice and cooking liquid..........and whatever version, you cook it together until the chicken is done. I have three go to versions. I dont know wtf they are talking about.
    i'm nekkid.
  • mommyof2_76

My mom would put rice, mix in cream of chicke. soup and water and stick chicken breasts in 9x13 pan and bake it.
    I guess you could add whatever veggies to it too

Yep this. My dad has made it like this forever. I think it is n the betty Crocker cookbook

• undercoverbanana
    I will check it out and ask them. But....since this is a special request, they get the burden of proof. If i bust my ass, and they dont like it, ill be pissed. If they bring me a recipe, and they dont like it, their problem.
    i'm nekkid.
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    I know your making them find the recipe... But my mom did like @queserasera. Rice, cream of chk soup and cream of mushroom, threw some chick in, covered in foil and baked for an hour, hour and a half. Although she was a cruddy cook it was one of her better meals.
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • StarsStars
    I made the pa Dutch version last night. Chicken, onion, corn carrots and peas cream of chicken soup cheddar cheese bake and rice bake 350 for 30 min till brown and bubbly
    apsycho

• OpheliaOphelia
    My gmom makes chicken and rice. Hers is chicken carrot celery cooked in a tomato chicken gravy then she fries white rice and onion. Serves the chicken over the rice.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • OpheliaOphelia
    If that's what they're talking about I can ask her how to make it for you.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    My mom always did cream of mushroom soup, extra mushrooms, chicken and raw rice all baked together..
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Chicken and rice in my house would have literally been chicken on one side of the plate, rice next to it and whatever vegetable next to that. LOL
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • PcdmomPcdmom
    My chicken & rice is so simple & everyone eats it. Put chicken (I usually just butterfly it, but some cube it) in the crockpot with whatever veggies the kids like that week & pour a can of cream of chicken soup( I mix it with a little milk to make it thinner, but a lot of people don't bc the crock pot will Produce some water. Cook rice & put chicken on top
    "Everyone deserves the chance to fly"- Elphaba
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints"
  • BeachyBeachy
    To me American rice means rice pilaf.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • shate98shate98
    Honestly if someone asked me for chicken and rice I would serve them a roast chick breast next to rice. Or I would ask them if they wanted to order Mexican or Chinese. The only other thing that comes to mind is the campbells soup recipe mentioned above.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • eappleeapple
    Do you have a rice cooker? I'm thinking you should brown the chicken and then let it sit on top of the rice as it slow cooks. All the drippings from the chicken should absorb right into the rice but the chicken will be left intact on top of the bed of rice. As for the veggies I'd just roast or stir fry a mixture and then serve it beside the chicken laid over top of the rice. Then you can drizzle the cooking juices from the veggies over the whole dish. Mmm.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I don't care which version gets made, I want all of it!
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • undercoverbanana
    I have a rice steamer, but since they can't agree on what it is they want me to cook, im not even going to try until they can show me a recipe of what they want.
    i'm nekkid.
  • jennygoat
    Use all the suggestions and cook them a version every night for a week. Either they will find something they like or they will be so sick of it they will never mention it again.
  • WillileeWillilee
    Slap some American cheez on that bad boy and call it good!
  • Tanstaafl2Tanstaafl2
    Look at it this way - if dh and dd can't even describe it to you, do they even know what it is themselves?  Will they even recognize if what you do isn't right?
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL)
  • BeachyBeachy
    Dude ^^^ has a point. And I would go off what dd says, she's a chef forgodssake! And I still say pilaf. When you add soup and shit it becomes a casserole.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • lisaswk
    I hate rice. So I make chicken and stove top stuffing mixed with cream of chicken soup and bake it.
  • undercoverbanana
    When I get a recipe, ill make it. I was just wondering wtf they meant by "american" :chicken and rice like it was a standard thing.....and I know it isn't. My kids are Texas born and raised, but they know all the food in the universe isn't south Texas food. So "American chicken and rice" had me a little stunned. There is no universal recipe.....the only commonality would be Campbell's condensed cream of whatever.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    plus....i got my #1 answer....nobody else knows wtf they are talking about, either.
    i'm nekkid.
  • Meredith
    I know I'm late to the party, but I have NO idea WTF "American Chicken & Rice" is.  Bizarre request, IMO & do be sure to report back what it is because I'm infinitely curious!
  • goddessisis
    My "american" chicken and rice is the aforementioned campbells recipie for 50 mins in the oven.