• GingersnapGingersnap
    My nephew has lice, so I thought I'd repost this because 'tis the season, apparently.

lice? sucks.

tea tree oil in olive oil or hair conditioner in everybody's hair. go to walmart and get flea combs, they won't tear up the kid's heads.  wash all your clothes in warm-to-hot water, and put in hot dryer minimum 20 minutes.vaccum everything every day. flea products have the same active ingredient as lice stuff (pyrethan or something like that) come in bigger bottles, and are cheaper. spray the furniture. every week for 3-4 weeks. anything that can't be washed, seal in garbage bags and do not touch or open for 2 and 1/2 weeks. get the straight tea tree oil @ the health food store (about 10 bucks) and dose for everybody (with conditioner or olive oil) is about 20 drops. unless they have long hair. past shoulder length, 30 drops. down to the butt, 40 drops.

wash the kids hair, pile on the conditioner, and comb with flea comb. lice combs don't work, and tear  their scalps. flea combs work better & have round tips. comb everyday or every couple of days for 3-4 weeks (because the eggs take 2 weeks to hatch). wash bedding at least every week. be vigilant for about a month and a half.

been through this--ex boyfriend had 3 kids, 2 in soccer, one in brownies, my 2 had activities, and they all went to different schools, they lived with their mom, and we had them every other weekend. if they visit with another parent or grandparent, you have to tell them, or everybody gets re-infected. keep the flea combs. dogs & cats won't get them, birds can.

about 9 years ago they just exploded here, we hadn't had a freeze in over 3 years, they were everywhere AND drug resistant. so anything you got at the pharmacy/grocery store was worthless. between 5 kids, 2 houses, 3 schools, plus the kids' activities, it was murder. i remember going to the grocery store one day and seeing a big fat louse on the handle of the cart! it was awful.

oh--and treat everyone a 2nd & possibly a third time (every 2 weeks) whether you think you need it or not. i've also heard that mayonaise suffocates them, but i have no experience with that.

keep those flea combs for a couple months, and comb everybody's hair everyday. make sure the hair is wet, with conditioner in it, and finger comb tangles out before using the flea comb.. pay special attention to nape of neck, hairline, and around the ears for the eggs. eggs are RIGHT by the hairline/scalp.

I have used olive oil,lemon scented joy dish soap and mayo. They all helped but olive oil worked best.I just soaked her hair down real good and put a shower cap on.Left on for about 30 mins,ran lice comb through and they were gone.Make sure and wash all bedding,put stuffed animals in trash bags,tie and leave for a few days.Make sure and spray anything you can that is fabric with the lice spray

It's going through my dd's class and I am doing my best to avoid it.  I have heard that the Ladibugs treatment is all natural.  Then smother the hair in olive oil and cover with a shower cap and keep it that way for hours.  Dawn should get the oil out.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    thank you so very much...insert sarcasm...just seeing the title of this thread made me itch. :P
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @BellaBefana - I started itching as soon as I got the phone call. While my intention of starting the thread was to be helpful, I do feel a... strange satisfaction that you said that.  :P
  • undercoverbanana
    Omg. It really IS the season, isn't it? I must have blocked it out. You guys should know that you should avoid a lot of tea tree oil on boys, it can cause slight breast development when used frequently, and you use a lot of it. Combing is the biggest thing. The most important thing. Invest in flea combs, they work so much better removing nits and bugs, and dont stab their little heads.
    i'm nekkid.
  • French_momFrench_mom
    Dammit... scalp is itching...
    It is for me to know and you to dot dot dot.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @undercoverbanana - thanks for the information about avoiding frequent use. I was thinking about just misting their hair with a bit of tea tree oil (10 drops in 2 oz water). Just a little mist before school through the warm season. But I don't really want my boys to grow boobs. Unless they want to. Later. I won't judge. 
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    We use tea tree oil in our conditioner once a week to try to dissuade the lice from even trying to mess with us. It was the advice we got from a pharmacist when I got paranoid one day. I don't know if it for sure works, but we're lice free so far! 

community-manager

• RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    Ugh i don't even want to think of having to deal with this when DD is in school.  I got lice when I was a teenager from a bad neighbourhood, and it was so bad I thought I'd have to cut all my hair off.  I didn't want to tell my mom either, because she already didn't like me hanging out where I was.  I did 2 Nix treatments within a week and used Tea Tree Oil shampoo religiously, and they were gone.  I didn't even treat my bedding.  But it worked, thank effing god.

Fuck, now I'm itchy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @undercoverbanana - how often is frequent, and how much it too much?

GODDAMNIT!!! I can't stop itching and scratching, and *no* I don't have lice. I'm just wicked neurotic. 
  • ABCABC
    I read a report that the cleaner the hair the easier they cling to the hair. When my dd8 went to a more upper class school the kids got lice all of the time. At her current more lower class city type school not so much. So, during the school week we don't wash her hair. It stays up in a bun our tight pony tail. And I use this special hair gel for ethnic hair to keep it slicked back but not greasy. I know it seems gross but I rather she do that then deal with bugs in her hair! No one ever notices because her hair always looks so cute and pulled back neatly. I just can't stand the thought of lice! Bloch!
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • CrashCrash
    This year for ball, it was strongly suggested several times that I buy Talise her own batting helmet "Because a note went out at school about lice." *sigh* No I did not fork over the 40 or 50 bucks for a batting helmet that she'd use for maybe 4 months before she grew out of it. No lice though. Oy.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • undercoverbanana
    @gingersnap the amount used in shampoo and conditioner you already buy is no big deal and won't do that. But heavy Use (say, 10-12 drops straight weekly over a few months) Might cause slight breast development. Nobody will mistake tthem for a girl. No Pamela lee effect.
    i'm nekkid.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I'll get you for this, my pretty! Every fucking time I see this thread I FUCKING ITCH!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • KrabbyKay
    LICE!!!! UGH!!!!
    *scratch scratch*....
    *crawling sensation*..... !!!!!!!!
  • essgirl
    My kids are mixed race and when they were younger always had thier hair tied up.
    My youngest had nits once. I tried the chemicals but they didn't work so I bought a "nitty gritty" comb. Its available on prescription here but i bought mine on amazon..
    It's very close knit metal comb. That got rid of everything and luckily she's never had them again.
    When she was at primary school I would use it about once a month just to make sure there was nothing lurking in there lol.
  • onetimeonetime
    We just went through this too. I now put tea tree oil in all of the conditioners all the time, I read they are repealed by the smell. I am a little too, but oh well, I'm more turned off by the bugs.
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • undercoverbanana
    @essgirl sounds like a flea comb. Goddamnit...now im itching, too. Shudder!
    i'm nekkid.
  • essgirl
    Lol @undercoverbanana I think they are similar to flea combs except the teeth have like spirals on them.

I just googled them seems they are not available in the USA.
  • sharkmommy
    dealt with it last year with DD7.  Worst nightmare.  I itch every time I think about it.  I boiled and disinfected everything!!!. 
  • KrabbyKay
    As much as I hate to revisit this horrid thread... Where do you get tea tree conditioner? Any place normal?
  • ABCABC
    @KrabbyKay Sally Beauty Supply? Otherwise you could just add it to your normal conditioner.

My head is itching.
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • KrabbyKay
    I have the oil... Huh. I should look up what to do, but I also can hardly imagine kids shaking conditioner before use, to keep it in solution or whatever it does.
  • BankMom
    @Gingersnap - You made me itchy!! So I read it to DH and the boys and they're all scratching. And bitching lol Totally worth my own itching!
    "...and when her feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh, shit! She's awake!"
  • lisaswk
    Gee thanks guys. On a whim after reading this I checked my dd hair. Dammit she is full of nits!!!!!!! She was waist length farrah fawcett hair!!!!!! I am going to be picking forever!!!!!!!!!!
  • KrabbyKay
    AAACCK!!! Not this again!!! Damnit!!
  • undercoverbanana
    Just comb. If you are vigilant about combing, especially with the girls, that's the biggest thing. You cant give girls buzz cuts. combing, vaccuming, and throwing away the vaccum bags. I have heard great things about olive oil and mayo, either together or separate, and one strong dose of tea tree won't cause anything with boys. Its long term use, from what I understand. And its not teenage girl boobs, even then. Its slight nipple development. Just comb a lot, every day, especially around the ears, nape of neck, and hairline. Use good slippery conditioner, and get the tangles out before you start. Anything you brushed with, unless the hairbrush is metal, stick it in a glass of water and nuke it for a couple minutes afterwards. If it is metal, nuke some water and pour boiling water over it after you are done.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    I shudder to think how much experience I have with this the hard way. Some people actually pay other people to come into their homes and pay people thousands of dollars to do that crap for them. But they dont make guarantees.
    i'm nekkid.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    My SIL used the tea tree oil and olive oil. She says it worked great and saved them a lot of money. (Thank you!) My concerns? Nobody else in the house got treated. No evidence of a huge effort to clean the house. Just bedding. I will wait and see.
  • 1mjrbitch
    Douse the hair in vinegar, then tea tree, neem & olive oil conditioner. 

Vinegar dissolves the nits glue & outer shell. The conditioner (kept on for about an hour) suffocates the adults & the ones that survive, don't like the way anything tastes... So, they die!

Spritz a little tea tree at the nape & behind the ears before they go to school each day. They will NEVER get lice!

I came to visit my SIL & EVERYONE here had it SOOOOO bad. I've never seen anything like it. Hundreds upon hundreds of nits in the hair!  Four adults in a six person household had it something fierce. However, I managed to get rid of it all. 

I keep the tea tree oil mix in a small spray bottle & periodically spray bedding & furniture, too.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @1mjrbitch - I'm spritzing the kids with a bit of tea tree oil every day before school, too. 

12 drops in 2 oz. of water. 
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @undercoverbanana - I stumbled across this today: http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

Lavendar Essential OIl may also cause breast growth in boys. Huh. 
  • GingersnapGingersnap
  • shate98shate98
    @Gingersnap thanks! I remembered there was a thread but didn't have time to look for it. I treated him with straight up olive oil. He looks like a mini gangster with slicked up hair (I washed it with soap this morning, but it still looks greasy). He seems to be clean. fingers crossed!
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @shate98 - don't forget about using google to search SM

"site:scarymommy.com lice olive oil"
  • shate98shate98
    @Gingersnap I know. I was on my phone last night not the computer, and my laziness with using my phone knows no bounds.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    :))
  • toadintheholetoadinthehole
    Noah and i have had itchy scalps since the weekend. i sincerely hope its not lice, i cant get anywhere near his head to brush it let alone wash it :-(
    "mummy I love your testicles" - mini-toadinthehole aged 3.5 years
    Aaaaaaaand we have lice. tried lyclear, hedrin, conditioner, white vinegar, combing multiples times a day. my scalp is so sore :'(

@irishlass
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @toadinthehole - did you try smothering them in olive oil with tea tree oil? (Then combing)

I'm sorry your scalp is sore! >:D<
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    DD16 freaked out day before yesterday saying she found 1 lice on her head. I checked her head and dont see a thing. Im so paranoid though. we have vacummed and washed everything, and she is using a coconut shampoo everyday. I read somewhere sometime ago that they hate coconut. hmmm maybe another use for coconut oil here
    I am me, and I am loved
    @gingersnap touch wood, i combed this morning and got nothing and no crawling sensations today!
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    Crisco!!! Had to do this to DD 7s hair over the summer. Coat the head in crisco (shortening or lard) put a bag around it, leave it in for 24 hours. You could probably leave it in for less time- but I wanted to be sure it was gone!! Make sure to use dawn dish soap when you wash it out and hot water- as hot as they can stand it!! Do another crisco treatment 6-7 days later! Works like a charm!
  • Ladybug84
    We have a comb called "the terminator" that I ordered from Ulta's website. It worked better than anything I actually put on my daughter's super thick hair. I learned about it when a friend hired someone to come to her house to get rid of lice and that was all the person used and it was gone.