natural bug repellent/bug spray
  • crazydayscrazydays
    So it seems the bugs are really bad at my house this summer and we are being eaten alive... It seems more me than anyone else but still. I hate the idea of using store bought spray on myself or the Littles, I'm curious if anyone might know any organic or at least more natural ways to help. I've heard eating garlic can help but honestly we eat quite a bit of garlic and it hasn't done anything. Any tried and true methods?
  • LLBLLB
    I've heard that dryer sheets help but never tried it.

Not really "natural" but not as bad as the spray.

We just use the spray since we are in west nile and Lyme disease central here.
  • crazydayscrazydays
    @llb that's interesting, I wonder if that works!

I've always used the spray but I'm really trying to go more natural with just about everything. I have no idea what's in it and can't pronounce most of it. There's gotta be a better way! Maybe not though... I've got about 30 bug bites (seriously) from mid-thigh down to my feet. Ds2 has a few but I dress him better for protection then myself lol.
  • OpheliaOphelia
    My cousins gf put lavender oil on their baby. Seemed to work
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Vinegar or water and with rosemary, citronella and cedarwood essential oils. 

I'll see if I can find a recipe - I just wing it.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • GingersnapGingersnap
  • crazydayscrazydays
    @gingersnap awesome! Very helpful, thanks :) I was just about to ask where I might find oils like that. I hear people talking about them quite a bit but wasn't sure where to look.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    The most annoying thing about the natural stuff, I find, is that I have to apply it every half hour. 

I do like the small of the rosemary, citronella and cedarwood together, though. We spray ours right on our skin, but one of the articles above doesn't recommend it. I'll have to see if I wrote our recipe down somewhere...
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I use small spritzers (2 oz.). I've tried using vinegar, but I really didn't notice a difference. The last recipe I wrote down was 2 oz water, 5 drops citronella, 5 drops cedarwood and 5 drops of rosemary. However, I just sniffed the bottle leftover from last summer and I smell eucalyptus as well. Maybe 5 drops of eucalyptus? 

Honestly, there are times that the black flies are so frickin' thick, nothing will hold them off. This stuff seems to work well against mosquitoes if applied frequently.
  • shate98shate98
    We fog out backyard with kid/pet safe chemicals. Takes a few days before you can go back out. Since we did that I've had no bug bites.

For a natural applicant for skin I use straight citronella oil.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • Lakegirl34
    @shate98 where do you get the fog out?

I've been thinking of trying the clip ons so at least I won't be applying anything to ds skin.

My son loves to play outside but it's awful with the bugs. My husband made some mosquito traps with a 2 liter bottle and I think yeast. He found it on the Internet.
  • shate98shate98
    @lakegirl34 DH gets the fog from Lowes. There are different kinds, like one is only good for a few days (great for a party). Not sure of the brand we use. I do know we had to reapply at the end of the summer last year. Bees and flies seem unaffected by it. But no mosquitoes

The clip ons only work if you stand still. It creates a zone around you, but if you're moving around you're not staying in the zone. Okay for gardening, watching fireworks, etc

We also have an Off lamp from Lowes. Same idea as the clip on only it's a little battery powered lantern. Seems to work ok.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • pennypenny
    Babyganics makes a natural bug spray that's soybean oil with some essential oils. it works pretty well, but you have to rub it in really well or it will be really greasy.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Our current bug repellent recipe uses essential oils. We use Now Foods brand, but if you have a brand you prefer go for it, just be sure it's an essential oil not a perfume oil. 

Into a spray bottle: three drops each of citronella, cedarwood, rosemary, and eucalyptus to one ounce of water. Shake before applying. (I'm not sure you want to use cedarwood oil on toddlers or pregnant women). Reapply every 30 minutes.
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    Has anyone had success with those clips-ons that @Lakegirl34 mentioned?  I'm not BIG into all natural stuff, but I don't like the idea of using bug spray on DD.  And the forest where we take our daily walks is very mosquito ridden.  I had considered just spraying the stroller down with bug spray so it's not directly on her skin, but I do let her get out and walk quite often.  And she's getting eaten and has mild allergic reactions to the bites.  A clip-on is something I'd like to try.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • KrabbyKay
    Well, it's hardly natural, but when we lived in a wet & buggy place, we used the blue original skin so soft oil on our exposed skin. Worked like a charm. Idk why, maybe it has some of those mosquito repelling oils in it?
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    Yeah I`ve heard for a long time that SSS makes a good bug repellent.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    "natural bug repellent" in Amazon
    I bought one when I went to Pakistan with DD but I did not have to use it.
    Sample:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001584FW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1374471747&sr=8-3&pi=SL75
  • TottyCakesTottyCakes
    @ruralrebellion that's what we used growing up. We'd have to go pick raspberries in the garden and there's so many mosquitoes in there because it's so humid. I remember it working pretty well. And it smells better and makes your skin super soft.
  • GirdyOleeGirdyOlee
    Apparently catnip is 10-times more powerful than DEET as a mosquito repellant. They also hate peppermint, basil, rosemary, lavender and lemongrass.