HELP!!.We're moving across the country!!!
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    Okay, So.I have been riding my DH (yes,I said riding :-)) ) for 6 months to get us the hell outta TX and move back to Seattle..Well..He quit his job yesterday and said Let's Go!!! What I'm asking for is ANY and all advice I can get about organizing this move..I've never done this before with kids, although I think we will be sending them.up first to stay with family while we drive it,with the doggies..huge thanks in advance!!
    "She Dances in a Ring of Fire and Throws Off the Challenge, With a Shrug" - Jim Morrison
  • DinoDangerDinoDanger
    I suck at moving, so you don't want advice from me, but welcome back to the PNW!  Yay Seattle!  Whereabouts are you moving back to?
    http://haynesfamilyhomestead.blogspot.com/
    Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free. - V for Vendetta
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. - The Old Astronomer, Sarah Williams
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Yes send the kiddos to family . Go room by room and PURGE , do no take drawers and dump in a box , u will be overwhelmed when u arrive to the new digs . If its broken it don't go If it doesnt fit and mot wore , it dont go If its not been used , it don't go . Try for totes not boxes , boxes get wet and saggy if possible . Don't tackle to much in one day nibble away . You will get moved less is more Blessings
  • MadHatterMumMadHatterMum
    Yay for coming back to PNW!! My only advice is purge, lots of boxes and alcohol usually helps!!
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    well luckily I've been purging the house for the past six months as well so that parts done..Yay!
    "She Dances in a Ring of Fire and Throws Off the Challenge, With a Shrug" - Jim Morrison
  • undercoverbanana
    Lots of sharpies and packing tape. Label boxes on 3 sides, so no matter how its stored, you know wtf is in there. Sic pack holders are great for glasses. Grocery bags make excellent packing material. The best boxes are from liquor stores. And free.
    i'm nekkid.
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    We will most likely be in the Tacoma Puyallup area but who knows..if there is a great house in our price range e could end up anywhere..and i wouldn't care as long as it's in WA lol!
  • onetimeonetime
    How do you do that? Just up and quit and move? Why can't I do that? Guide me, wise one. Teach me the ways....
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    Lmao @onetime I say if it feels right,don't wait,don't question,just GO! We,as people, need to stop living in our heads and start living in our hearts :) JMO
  • onetimeonetime
    I'd just be so... lost. Where would I work? Where would we live? What if I didn't find a job? What if the house didn't sell? I'm a fucking worrier. I am JUST NOW realizing it. I need to let go.
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • SasafrasSasafras
    Because you're traveling a long distance before sure to pack carefully, and mark everything, even when you don't want to, keep as much important stuff in your car and or truck. And maybe since you're sending the kids up early maybe you can send some stuff with them for a storage till you get there. And I will always say this with a passion. Eat as much food as you can and throw away the rest. It sucks trying to keep condiments and or freezer stuff cold and in the end you will question if its edible.
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    We are looking for temporary jobs to start...To get us through the first few months..luckily we waited to file or taxes so they will be coming back just in time for the move, and we are selling our second vehicle for 2000$ so that helps too..as for the place to live..when we find the jobs,we'll find a place near there..and then figure it out :)
  • ABCABC

I've done this...1...2...3...4...5...times lol.  When we recently moved to Denver from Wisconsin I did TONS of research including federal aid program (just in case), food pantrys, best discount grocery stores, schools, and so on.  For packing, I am not sure how much time you have but pack as organized as you can now so that unpacking is easier later.  Public Storage usually always offers one month almost free if you need it.  It helps that you have family and can send kids up first.  We had no one here so it was a blind move for real! lol.  Just make lists, make sure you forward your mail to a family member or P.O. box where you're moving to.  If you need more advice let me know.  I am like the zen master of moving across country! lol

Be in control of your own happiness.
  • onetimeonetime
    @ABC, @horridwench, I am obsessively following this thread. I'm going to do it. Like next year. Or something. I NEED to do it.
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    @ABC I'm POSITIVE I'll be needing your help thank you!!
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    @onetime AWESOME!!!!! Do it! I'll be cheering you on every step of the way!!
  • ABCABC
    My family thinks we're crazy but what's wrong with some fucking adventure?! I think we'll stay in Denver a while (until dd8 is going to college) because this is the first city we actually feel at home in.  Yay! I love this! lol
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    I think we're going to use the U Haul Pods to have all our stuff delivered up there..then the DH,Me and Dogs will drive and it will be like a roadtrip vacation,without the kids :)
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    I'm so excited,I can hardly shut up about it lol
  • onetimeonetime
    ABC said:

My family thinks we're crazy but what's wrong with some fucking adventure?! I think we'll stay in Denver a while (until dd8 is going to college) because this is the first city we actually feel at home in.  Yay! I love this! lol

Exactly why I WILL do it. As soon as DH is off probation. :)
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • shate98shate98
    We did the Pods. It was awesome. We packed up all non-essential stuff and that went in first. Kept suitcases with clothes, some bags of toys out for use. Ate up all of the food in the house so we didn't have to move it. Of course, we only moved down the street. But we did it last year so it's still fresh in my head.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • PurpleMommaPurpleMomma
    This sounds so awesome!  I need an adventure in my life, but it wouldn't be a move.  I can just feel your excitement though!  We drove through WA a few years ago and I loved it!  Best luck to you and have fun! 
  • BallewzerBallewzer
    Good luck @HorridWench! I'm so jealous u get to leave Texas! We moved here 3 years ago from New Jersey and I would give up chocolate to move home to be close to my parents n sisters again!
    When we moved we got one of those pod thingys which is basically a storage unit u put in ur driveway then put on a truck and go. With that we were able to pack at our own pace and pack things in there that we weren't using at the moment ie bikes baby toys winter clothes It was a great option with kids.
  • HestiaHestia
    If you really don't care where you end up in Washington spokane is having a good housing market right now if you're in the medical field at least jobs are booming .
  • HestiaHestia
    that and the fact that we're surrounded by the woods despite being an awesome size city we're very green . and we have the river going right through our downtown . yes I love Spokane as you can tell Seattle is fun for visiting Tacoma is dirty even though my best friend lives there ...I hate it there . :-) there's just too many people packed in too closely over there I think I like that Spokane is more spread out. We are a touch more conservative than the other side of the state but we're still pretty liberal overall. good schools for children as well and we have a lot of parks . yes I am rooting for another scary mommy to move to Spokane . :-p
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    We're looking for jobs tomorrow!! I've been a.SAHM for 5 years and I'm actually super exited about working! I'm sure all that glitter will fall off after a month..but for now YIPPIE! 8-}
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I paid the movers to pack it all up. And I'm never fucking moving again!!!

That's why I bought an acre: I'll just add on here! :D
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • TottyCakesTottyCakes
    Yay! Adventure!
  • lostinthewindlostinthewind
    Ya know, Oregon is just a hop, skip, and jump away...... we really need to find a way to get the pac NW scaries together!!!!!!
  • GrainneGrainne
    That is so exciting yeah for you! The west coast is awesome :). One moving tip I printed off colour coded labels - colour coded for each room. Makes sorting boxes into rooms for unpacking easier. Nerd here lol