• KeepstaringKeepstaring
    I saw a woman in an elevator having her 7 y/o push the elevator button
    with her elbow and I could think was, dude if I could just keep my kid
    from eating food off the ground I'd be happy lol

I'm the mom in the elevator who has her child push the button w/her
    elbow! My 6yo also flushes w/her foot, opens doors and ketchup bottles
    w/paper towels, plus holds salt shakers w/napkins. Lol. Poor child w/her
    freaky mama

I am definitely more like the first mom, happy if my kids don't eat anything nasty from the floor, everything else is a just boost for their immune system, or so I tell myself...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein
  • realtormomrealtormom
    yeah, I'm somewhere between those two. elbows to push buttons, open doors, etc. but the five (or 35) second ruleapplies with food. unless the dogs get there first
    The past has a vote, not a veto ~ Moredecai Kaplan
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I'm more like #1
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GPAMomGPAMom
    First. I have said "will you please stop licking the grocery cart?!". More than once.
  • KeepstaringKeepstaring
    GPAMom said:

First. I have said "will you please stop licking the grocery cart?!". More than once.

^^ This, every time we go shopping with dd1.5.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein
  • Luna523Luna523
    I'm not a germaphobe AT.ALL. Also my entire family is rarely sick ;) Eating dirt never killed anybody. I really believe you harm the immune system more then helping it by bathing in hand sanitizer all the time ect. My friends that are clean freaks always complain of being sick and their kids are always sick it seems too. Now if ya'll have lice, scabies, or like contagious strep throat I'll tell you to stay home until it's gone! LOL
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Haha if my kid washes her hands before dinner I feel like a superwoman. Usual phrases that come out of my mouth include "please don't lick the gate/trolley/cat", "hands out of your mouth while you're on the toilet" and one time "you do NOT lick mommy's bum!" (Nearly puked when she did that). I can count on one hand the amount of times she's ever been sick though.
  • SalllyWingo
    I am freaked out by washroom stuff. Toilet handle, faucet, and all door handles. Other than that, I don't have germ issues. I work with the public and ALL walks of life. I don't have time to be weirded out by germs. DD is the same.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    I was definitely more like #1
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • ABCABC
    I am definitely the second mom. I feel like I wrote that confession! I am more like that for public spaces and not as bad at home though.
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • Ozziemama
    I gave up on being worried when we lived in Bali and my 1yr old would lick the rocks in the garden and then at the airport licked the glass on the escalator and then the floor. Yack! After that I figured of he didn't die then no germ could kill him. However I refuse to use public bathrooms ever.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I'm more like the first. Definitely. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • KellynnKellynn
    Depends on which kid and which stage of my life I was in, lol. With the first one, germaphobe allll the way. A little slacker with the second one, and with the gs? Even more of a slcaker, haha, though I do sanitize grocery carts with him.
  • DemandaDemanda
    I lean toward the first, but I get anal about germs during cold and flu season.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I don't know why people get so freaked about touching surfaces. As long as you strategically hand wash/sanitize (like before you bring your hands anywhere near your face or any food), you can touch anything you want. No biggie.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • KeepstaringKeepstaring

I don't know why people get so freaked about touching surfaces. As long as you strategically hand wash/sanitize (like before you bring your hands anywhere near your face or any food), you can touch anything you want. No biggie.

Totally true, but isn't that just the problems with kids?

They'll go from touching the toilet, to sucking their thumb, to licking the dog, to eating something of the floor, to scratching their ass before you have even had the time to notice they touched the toilet... I am pretty relaxed, but I can understand why some people freak out.
    ― Albert Einstein
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    lol I am a number one with the kids. five second rule can turn into the five minute rule. momma just needs to blow off the dirt from your food and it's all better.... MAGIC MOMMA SPIT CURES EVERYTHING.
    for myself.... I am a number two... I work in dialysis. EVERYTHING HERE IS CONTAMINATED! I freak out if someone is wearing open toed shoes in the clinic I throw them surgical booties.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • KrabbyKay
    I'm #1.....with my children. My thought is, ya just can't stop kids from doing/touching/licking nasty things!!!! 
    Except there was this. My son somehow got pneumonia & sepsis when he was 4, and was hospitalized for 5 days and came home on oxygen. He was dangerously ill at first, and when they found what he had and an antibiotic to kill it, they told me it was a "Group B strep". I said from WHERE???? The Dr's said "Oh Walmart, the grocery store, any place...somebody sneezed a lugie and your son unknowingly put his hands there...." OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! So this led to a freak-out for a while about wiping the carts, and using hand sanitizer and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well once DD touched the cart before I had wiped it, and I freaked out and wiped her hands....gave her a nasty rash....she will NEVER forget this, and always brings it up at inopportune times....never mind all the OTHER times I was a GREAT mom...!!!
    But I've been back to being the first mom for some time now.
  • KrabbyKay
    @deviltwinsmomma I'm #2 at work for myself, too!!! DIS-GUSTING!!!! Sometimes I close my door and put a note and a can of Lysol "Spray the keys/papers with this and leave them here. Do NOT come in!!!" depending on what the crews transported. And some of my coworkers are effing nasty, so I wipe with Clorox wipes before I'll even think of touching the console....
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    GPAMom said:

Same.

And the dog bowl.  And for some reason Grandma's kitchen floor.

My beach is still Sandy....
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Well, yeah, it's pretty much impossible to keep kids from doing that shit, so you just have to strategically wash their hands when you can and hope for the best. Life is a crapshoot.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • Matt115
    First more so than not
  • SweetTooth88SweetTooth88
    My daughter has taken a drink out of the dog bowl more times then I care to admit...

I try to keep her hands clean but...
  • MollyGrahamMollyGraham
    Definitely #1 here. When ds was born, MIL sent us every anti-bacterial product ever made. :)) I said thank you very much and never bothered to use most of them. Ds is healthy as the proverbial horse and almost never gets sick. He had to develop a super immune system just to survive living with me.
    Normal people never change the world.
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    I'm the mom that inspects what fell on the floor, says "It looks alright", and put in my kids mouth. LOL My mother thinks I'm so gross.
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • PurpleMommaPurpleMomma
    I'm more of a #1 and have always figured the anti bacterial band wagon was going to lead to more super germs.

Although @KrabbyKay my kids have had Group B strep-DS8 only a few weeks ago and your story freaks me out!  I didn't really think it could get that serious.  DS8 had one of the highest fevers she's had, almost 104 and I stay pretty calm and don't worry usually...but now!
  • CrashCrash
    Definitely #1. Although my 11 yo dd flushes the toilet with her foot in public places... I still have to remind her to wash her hands.....wtf? 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • CrashCrash
    Oh and I didn't teach her to flush that way, either. I have no idea who did.....
  • KrabbyKay
    @PurpleMomma sorry!!!! :( If it's over, then....no biggie right???? IDK what makes a person go from "sick" to "septic". DS has had pneumonia *several* times, it wasn't that that was even freaky, it was the sepsis. He was 104 as well,and we normally don't flip. My kids run high fevers for whatever reason, but it would NOT come down no matter what we did, and he was rather terrifyingly lethargic. I was actually at work and DH kept calling me, and I kept consulting with the flight nurses who finally said "You had better get your ass home, and call us if you need us to fly him!!" They caught the idea that he was probably septic. It never happened again, and never to DD....it was probably one of those freak things (that ALWAYS happen to me or mine!!)
  • PurpleMommaPurpleMomma
    @KrabbyKay yeah, she's good now.  When my son had it, his immune system just fought it off and he didn't need antibiotics.  DS8 must not have as strong of an immune system, because she had to go on antibiotics to fight it.  Had to go back on them a few weeks later with an ear infection too.  Maybe just the time of year and we haven't had any sun around here in MN, so we are weak-lol!  Right now it's sleeting here and miserable!
  • doamm
    I'm between both of them. Hand rails, door handles, buttons, etc. in public places -i can practically see the germs on them. Icky! When my first child DD was little and we would go into a public restroom, the rule was that she had to put her hands on her head (so as not to touch anything) and I would take care of the rest. I got lots of initial stares from people in the restroom when we would enter and I'd say "hands on your head". But DD is now 14 and hates touching money cause its filthy. She heard about the statistics of how money is full of feces and other germs.
  • CrashCrash
    And cocaine...don't forget the cocaine...
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    #1 for the kids #2 for me personally... i worked in daycare long enough to know better...
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • doamm
    @Crash. That's right -she knows about the cocaine residue and how many of the dollar bills were, at one time or another, in someone's g-string or other questionable place. LOL
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls

.....I'm the "what doesn't kill them, will make them grow stronger" kinda mom......

also know as the "dontgivaflyingfuckjustdontcomecryingtomewhenyougethurt" mom

I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • Marionettevie
    HAHA hilarious! im at the point where im glad he;s not eating shit off the floor. but he knows not to touch stuff in public bathrooms
  • MollyGrahamMollyGraham

.....I'm the "what doesn't kill them, will make them grow stronger" kinda mom......

Bingo!! The first time my nephew babysat my ds, who was about 5 at the time, the only instructions I gave him were "don't let him play with knives or fire". Whadda ya know...they both survived. :))
    Normal people never change the world.
  • DinoDangerDinoDanger

^^ This is how I will be.  My mom and dad were like this, and me and my sis rarely got sick/hurt (well, hurt bad enough for a hospital trip... I have PLENTY of scars, haha).
    http://haynesfamilyhomestead.blogspot.com/
    Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free. - V for Vendetta
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. - The Old Astronomer, Sarah Williams
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    I am way more like the first mom...Big Beastie will anything off the floor....it's gross and I have no idea where he finds this shit when we swiffer vac the kitchen quite a bit.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • Luna523Luna523

I adore you lol. And ditto....

• SpringSpring
    I'm truthfully closer to number 2. I know I know. But she can touch whatever she wants with fingers, she just has to wash her hands, use hand sanitizer, etc afterwards. And I'm a nut about it.
    "Sometimes I question my sanity. Sometimes it replies."
  • KiinuKiinu
    Once DS figured out that tantrums didn't get him anywhere but dragged out of the park/store/playground and put in the car "alone"... he started to lick things... when I displease him, instead of throwing a tantrum he LICKS STUFF. And then stares at me.

I had to stop caring or he'd never stop licking shit. But, he has had his least sick winter so far, so maybe it helped.
  • BookaddictBookaddict

This is so me! My aunt had 5 kids (plus my sister & I were around all the time, between babysitting before we were in school and visiting on weekends after). She had a rule that said you couldn't scream unless there was blood. I have carried this rule (and it's spirit of, you are fine, deal with it!) into my own home.

As for elevators, I'm just happy when they push the right button, let alone how they push it!
    I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991
  • tumblinatumblina

^^^This plus "don't expect me to sit in the er with you when you fall and break your neck"
  • Zombiemama
    Lmao..."don't lick the grocery cart". Words i have said more times than i care to count to my dd2. I used to be a super germaphobe but since i have become a single momma, now sadly i am forced to choose my battles. Such as the licking of grocery carts, just one example. Both of my 2 dds have been suprisingly healthy this cold and flu season though and seem like they were sick more often back in my germ-freak days..hmm..