School Lunch Ideas... help!
  • Zippity
    I really need help with school lunches! My three year old  isn't eating anything I'm sending! In general he has become very picky but since I'm not there pushing him to eat, he's not bothering.

A few challenges: lunches must be meat-free and nut-free. (It's a kosher school.) Also, they do not heat up meals. 

Here's what I have done:
    hummus on pita
    sunflower butter
    pizza bagels (cold! ugh!)
    cheese sandwiches
    veggie nuggets (cold! ugh!)
    yogurt
    veggie sides
    cheese and cracker sides
    fruit sides

Ideas, please! Thanks so much!
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    @Vegantastic Ideas?
    "She Dances in a Ring of Fire and Throws Off the Challenge, With a Shrug" - Jim Morrison
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    I know he's 3 but my picky eater will suck down those pouch baby foods , I know I know but they come in smoothies . This plus some Graham's and he at the very least has some calories blessings hugs love so very hard
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    What about a jelly/jam sandwich, maybe with some of the same fruit on it?

If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • VegantasticVegantastic

DS4 is super picky too. Usually we have soup and I let him drown crackers and nuts in it lol but that won't work for you here...

Does he like pasta salad? Even if it's just noodles and shredded broccoli and dressing, it's something. Or cold spaghetti?  Does he like to dip? DS will dip ANYTHING lol For dips, we use guacomole, hummus, peanutbutter, or vegan cream cheese. He will dip carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, animal crackers, cold cooked rotini or penne noodles (I buy the veggie ones), any small snack cracker, tortilla strips, apples, grapes... Some of his combos make me cringe lol but he's eating and it's healthy!

BTW, That's a really restrictive lunch plan they've got him on. They could at least heat up meals lol

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • WabiSabiLife
    I was also going to suggest the sunbittern and jam route. Have you tried renaming any of the things he eats? DS4 really liked carrot sticks after I started calling them Jobi Logs, lol.sometimes when I'm cutting up cucumber for him, I ask if he wants coins or sticks? (Bats and balls would also work)

DS has a restricted diet because he has a contact allergy to dairy, and he's a toddler weirdo because he doesn't like dipping, lol! There goes half the best ideas!
  • KiinuKiinu
    Apples and vanilla yogurt... dipping or delicious on their own.

Yogurt with sprinkles? maybe if he get's to put sprinkles in he'll enjoy it better?

Oh man I don't know... potato chips and apple slices is what my kid would be having everyday lmao
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Also, I've recently started letting DS "make" his lunch with me, and he's way more likely to eat it. He also eats a bunch while he's assembling lol Maybe you could let him pick out some new containers at the store, and let him fill them? Give him options and let him "decide" what he's having. I'm sure if I let DS help make supper he'd eat more of that too lol
    "Don't Panic"
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    My rabbit is in love with these cute Mickey Ears Apple Grape Cheese lunchable like trays I stumbled on at Wal-Mart It's plenty for him (5) and is a perfectly portable lunch that I toss a gogurt with everything is sliced or cubed so perfect for little fingers and no heat required
  • Zippity
    Thanks ladies!

@vegantastic I feel like I have the only kid who does not like pasta! But I keep trying!  How can you not like noodles! He's also not into dipping either (!!!) and instead eats the dipping sauce with a spoon. Ketchup?! Gross. But you gave me some good ideas that I wouldn't mind him eating with a spoon. Thanks. Also I am a vegetarian so I would love to hear some of the adult things you like to eat. :)

@wabisabilife I like the idea of renaming things. I'll have to do that at home now so when these things show up in his lunch at school, he'll want to eat them. 
  • undercoverbanana
    sliced apples with sunflower butter? I noticed everything was vegan. Do you have an Asian market near you? If the other kids have chips, he will wants some, too. And the crunchy seaweed chips are actually pretty yummy. vegan "lunch meat" is gross. Don't even try it. When my dd was vegan I made her fake tuna fish salad...mashed chickpeas with whatever crunchy veggies she liked....chopped up finely in a food processor with a little seaweed to give it a seafood taste with pickles and veganaise. What does he like at home? if you think he might like tacos, the gimmeelean fake hamburger with t.v.p. And taco seasoning tastes like taco bell. Wrap it in a small tortilla.
    i'm nekkid.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @Zippity if you're on Pinterest I have a board with tons of recipes. Some of them I haven't gotten to yet lol, but a lot of them have become staples in my house. http://pinterest.com/irelandmljl/vegan-tastic-recipes/
    "Don't Panic"
  • Zippity
    @undercoverbanana He can have dairy, so he's not really vegan. The only reason why he can't have meat is because of the school's dietary restrictions. But those ideas sound really yummy, to me at least. He will eat fake chicken because he's too young to know that it's not real. But the other soy stuff is tough! There's a "meat" crumble that I like to cook with but he refuses it. Sigh. Todders...

How old was your daughter when she was vegan? 
  • undercoverbanana
    If you mix t.v.p. With the gimmeelean it tastes and feels like hamburger. Like taco bell taco meat. Just chop it up finely. She was twelve. Some asshole gave her a peta "meet your meat" DVD. She stayed vegan until she was almost 17. tofu can be a pain in the ass. You have to squish all the water out and fry it a little. Otherwise it tastes like a wet sponge. Does he like fried rice? That's easy. My kids loved fried rice and eggrolls at that age.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    Silken tofu in the blender with French onion soup mix or ranch makes a great veggie dip. And a good way to sneak in some low fat protein.
    i'm nekkid.