Mirena madness anyone?
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    Is this Mirena making me crazy? I've had it for 6mos and I feel pregnant at least once a month. I must be insane. Sometimes I swear I feel fetal movement. How would I know if I did get prego since I don't have a period anyway. I'm gonna run us into the poor house taking pregnancy tests once a month. Anyone else have any weird Mirena issues?
  • KrabbyKay
    Well I never did until NOW (3 yrs in) the little fucker has DISAPPEARED. I'm in for a US at the asscrack of dawn tomorrow to see where it may have gallivanted off to...fuck this!!!! 
    I don't seem any crabbier than usual, and God help us, no pregnancy symptoms. FTR I ALSO never skipped my period. 
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    @SahmIam, I don't get periods either, my breasts get sore, I still have PMS like I am having a period but no bleeding or very light spotting.  I also feel like I can feel it in there sometimes even though you are not supposed to be able to and that down there hurts sometimes fairly randomly.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • justkeepswimmingjustkeepswimming
    I'm getting annoyed at still having periods too! The whole reason I got it is because the doctor said it would help reign in my out-of-control bleed outs once a month. LIES. Mine also moves around a lot, and I too can feel it from time to time, but I swear it makes my orgasms more intense too!
    When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
    ~Oscar Wilde
    Cat Kitty Love Hugs Smilie Smiley Smilies Smileys Emoticon Emoticons Animated Animation Animations Gif
  • kittenkitty00
    Tmi alert. Ha just wait for the no period to end. I had so many complications i finally had mine surgically removed and had first period it was horrible. Worst cramps ever had and since must wear pads first period after removal doctor orders i am going through a pad every few hours. If it moves be careful can travel outside of uterus. And if mood changes beware that probably is just the beginning.
  • ABCABC
    Mirena gave me a severe infection which led to hospitalization.  I just saw commercials about contacting a lawyer if you've had issues.  I might just do that.  I got PID and it was awful.  Dr. thinks it messed my ladies parts up really bad.  Sorry!  Not trying to scare anyone...but you asked ;)
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • NativeheiressNativeheiress
    I've had mine for 7+ yrs & have very few complaints. I never get a period or spotting but PMS & I are the best of friends all smucking month long... or maybe I'm just a bitch!? LOL! My strings tend to disappear but thats normal for them to receed into the cervix. Your ob/gyn can pull them out for you or if you make it a point to check them every month or two you can do it yourself. 
    Aside from that the only real issue I have is that dh is quite a bit bigger then the average fella & sometimes hits it the wrong way or too hard & it hurts a little. Thats another thing to think of as well - it's possible for your mans lil partner to get a little irritated or poked by the strings if they are trimmed to short or not in an ideal spot when it comes to sexy time. Your doc can fix that too.
    Now that I think of it from time to time I worry a bit about that .9999999% & will take a test myself. I just need to tell myself that it is NOT possible. 
    Hope some of this helps!
  • KrabbyKay
    @Nativeheiress your strings NORMALLY disappear???? That's why I'm having the gee dee US, the strings took a powder!!! *How* do you get them out? ob/gyn said they were neither palpable nor visible, and my US orders say "IUD malfunction".
  • lostinthewindlostinthewind
    I've had one for almost 10 years never had a single problem. Only spot once in awhile but pms well uh yeah it brings out the best of my bitchiness.
  • thislittlemommy5thislittlemommy5
    I felt the phantom movements when I was on it, Dr said it was like cramping if it moved our something like that (sorry I don't totally remember ). I loved the no periods but now I cramp up a week before, during and a couple days after. Totally sucks
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    Thanks ladies. I guess I'm just paranoid. I don't feel my strings either. Haven't since the first month or so. Gyno said it was normal for them to curl up. I'm still taking a pregnancy test today just to make sure. Even though I'm EBF DS and on mirena. I'm a nut I just need peace of mind.
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    Update. After spending the day with Dr. Google and reading over 200 threads and some actual medically based studies, I made an appt to get my Mirena removed. I feel very misled by my OB/GYN and now feel incredibly guilty for EBF while using the IUD. I did a lot of research before I chose Mirena. I'm disappointed in myself for not listening to my inner voice. Live and learn. Time to schedule a lil snip snip for DH.
  • AceofSpades
    Mirena made me CONSTANTLY FEEL PREGNANT. I always felt thick and heavy down there. That "full" feeling. And I swear some days I could feel it in me. Sex felt different in a not good way. And I had a raging sex drive that I unfortunately directed at everyone but my DF. 

I gave it the ol' college try and kept in in for 4 months. Made the appt to have it removed. THE MOMENT IT CAME OUT I FELT x100 BETTER. 

You won't regret it. If you don't love it, remove it.
    "Tough times pass, but tough bitches last"

"I wish I could squirrel, but alas, I cannot"
    @KrabbyKay yeah, they kind of fold up & kind of migrateI've actually had 2 of them. The first one I didn't know it was possible for the strings to do that & it made things quit difficult to get it out. The strings ended up inside my cervix & then covered in scar tissue. On top of it my cervix is a bit curved so it was painful getting it out.
    If you cannot feel them & your Ob/gyn cannot see them then it would make it difficult to pull them out.
    ;) I think everyones experience is different. And we tend to freak ourselves out by doing "research" on the internet. Its probably the worst thing to do - in my opinion. But if you're just not comfortable with it & constantly question/worry about it you're never going to be comfortable. It works/feels different for each person. I swear by mine. I couldn't live w/o it.
    I hope your appointment goes well & you find something that does work for you & your body. 
    We are women & nothing short of complicated.
  • kittenkitty00
    @abc i had the same problem have pid had to have left ovary and tube removed and still have issues it also gave me bacterial vaginosis so bad that spread into bladder and kidney infection. I would never recommend mirena to anyone. I only wish i was the lucky few without problems.
  • ABCABC

@abc i had the same problem have pid had to have left ovary and tube removed and still have issues it also gave me bacterial vaginosis so bad that spread into bladder and kidney infection. I would never recommend mirena to anyone. I only wish i was the lucky few without problems.

Oh wow.  Yeah I knew as soon as my gyno stuck it in that I was in bad shape.  Went two days but then after I started getting a fever I went to ER.  I was in so much pain I couldn't stand. I had an infection so bad I had to stay there for two days. When people ask me about it I say hell no! lol 
    Be in control of your own happiness.
  • kittenkitty00
    Those were only the beginning of my issues.
  • ScaryMommyScaryMommy
    KrabbyKay said:

Well I never did until NOW (3 yrs in) the little fucker has DISAPPEARED. I'm in for a US at the asscrack of dawn tomorrow to see where it may have gallivanted off to...fuck this!!!! 

I don't seem any crabbier than usual, and God help us, no pregnancy symptoms. FTR I ALSO never skipped my period. 

I had the same thing happen - they couldn't find mine, did an ultrasound, saw that it was stuck and I had to have it surgically removed. But once they were in to remove it, it was nowhere to be found.Dealing with massive periods etc., but not getting another one and I half expect it to pop out every time I pee, even though they assure me it's gone. The 5 years until that happened were blissful, but since then it's been a bit of a nightmare.
  • redbronco
    I had my Mirena implanted 6 weeks after giving birth (quick and painless), and had no issues with it for the first while.  But after about 7 months I noticed a steady weight gain and absolutely NO sex drive.  Seriously,. I couldn't have cared less if I ever had sex again.  My family doc was very supportive and so I had it removed.  The difference is amazing.  It worked REALLY well for me as a birth control method though and it is safe while nursing.
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    @redbronco I thought it was safe while nursing, but then I read this horrible study out by Johns Hopkins and it was talking about thyroid issues on infants who nursed when the mother was on progestin. I also discovered that the studies that concluded that it was safe to nurse while on it, were conducted in other countries where control groups and studies are apparently highly unregulated. That aside, I too have no sex drive. It was fine the first few months, but lately I always feel prego, bloated, I have acne like I've never had and I'm bitchier than usual. I'm glad I posted here. It's reassuring that I'm not the only one and maybe I'm not just bat shit crazy.
  • mama2boys
    You are right @SahmIam , the nurse midwife who delivered my son and then placed my IUD six weeks later was the one who told me that Mirena was not good for nursing moms.  She told me I needed to get the copper one if I was going to be nursing.  So I ended up with the Paraguard, and it has been fine so far (it has no hormones).  
  • rockmomrockmom
    I've had my mirena for almost two years now, and most of the time I have no problems. I do feel pregnant sometimes, and my cramps are so bad that the pain radiates from ovary to ankle a couple of days each month....I guess I don't have the *best* possible experience with it, but the good outweighs the bad for me.

As a birth control method, I couldn't ask for anything better. I forget about pills/patches/rings, whatever, and I don't have time to run to the pharmacy every month.

If it sucks for you, get it out though!
    tripp175a
  • sommers
    I am on my second one. Last year was the 5th year of the first. For a few months, I spotted every week, and the dr and I decided it was wearing off so I had my choice. I love not having to worry about a pill or anything else. So I got another one. My hands are too small to feel the strings. As much as I love it, I am awfully pissed that now it looks like it would be covered instead of me shelling out the $$$ for it. I have gotten over the whole feeling pregnant thing...my kids are two years and one month apart. So, every Christmas for a few years I always felt preggo. Not anymore...thank God.
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    @mama2boys the nurse midwife at my OB office is the one who inserted it and consulted me before insertion. I expressed my concerns about the hormones and nursing and she acted like I was a looney toon. When I talked about paraguard (my insurance covers both), they told me that because I have endometriosis that mirena would be very helpful in alleviating all my monthly discomfort and paraguard would probably exacerbate the issue. That's why ended up with mirena. I loved it at first. I didn't even mind the 2 months of spotting after insertion. I think, though, that my body is just now feeling the full effects ofthe hormones. I looked into Adiana because I'm sure I don't want anymore little ones. Anyone have that procedure? I'm having the mirena out on the 25th. After that, I'm going to use lady comp until I decide on the Adiana procedure or not (since dh is acting like I asked him to cut his d off when I mention vasectomy).
    @ScaryMommy - what ever came of your "lost" iud? I mean, do they just leave in there or do they attempt to find it & remove it? I can't even begin to imagine where it would go. It would make me a bit uneasy knowing I had a foreign object floating around inside me.
  • KrabbyKay

@SahmIam   guh DH....soooo... yeah *I* can have a zillion US's and all this frigging carry on about how to retrieve the strings??? How to get it OUT?!?!?! All of it is going to HURT!!! And you can't get a snip....

• ScaryMommyScaryMommy
    @Nativeheiress They are presuming it fell out, somehow. They've done a bunch of x-rays, numerous ultrasounds and it's nowhere. I MUST have fallen out, but I can't imagine not being aware. It's very bizarre, and yeah, unsettling. Now dealing with joyous fibroid issues which may have caused it all to begin with. Being a woman is SO MUCH FUN!
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    @KrabbyKay tell me about it!! Lets see... 20 months of pregnancy, 25 hours of labor, one emergency c section, 24 months of EBF and counting, nearly 20 years of being responsible for birth control and now all this mirena madness... I want I punch him in his dick. He keeps saying "I don't want to say never to another baby". Funny, I didn't know *he* could have babies. I will get fixed myself and that shits not reversible. He's being selfish and acting like a grown ass baby. MEN!
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    @ScaryMommy I've wondered if it could fall out unbeknownst. Hence my pregnancy fears each month. Are the fibroids cauaed by the mirena or vice versa? Ahh! I can't get this thing out soon enough.
  • ScaryMommyScaryMommy
    @SahmIam They don't really know, and because it seems to have come out of nowhere are monitoring it carefully. It's all so bizarre. Should have known it was too good to be true!!
  • MomofPreshMomofPresh
    I've had mine for four years and for me it is 100 times better than the depoprovera shot I was getting before that. With Depo, I was a pimple ridden perimenopausal mess with a raging appetite. Sex was meh, because I was so damned dry, and I just felt awful all the time. I thought this was what happens when you have a baby since my first shot was in the hospital after having DD. Well, I got the Mirena after three years of hell and it's been a godsend to me. Don't have periods, but I bet my DH would attest to my PMS every once in a while. Only problem I have is that I have to wear a panty liner all the time. The dryness issue is completely gone. Being that I am at an age that a permanent option may be viable, I am not sure if I will go with another when I have to switch or go with something permanent, but if I were younger, I'd totally go with it again. It sucks that it's had issues with staying put, Sorry to hear that.
    I'm not mean, You're just a sissy!
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    I'm now highly considering lady comp. I would be ok w the mirena if but for a few things.
  • ErispagettiErispagetti
    I am on mirena too. I started to pregnancy symptoms. I got my period. The symptoms got pretty bad that I took pregnancy test & came back negative. I am planning to take another test to be sure. I am also considering having it remove.
  • ScaryReflection

Wow I'm on Mirena too and these stories are freaking me out!  I've had zero problems with it from the day it was implanted, only felt the 'strings' occasionally for a few months, and haven't had any periods in 4 years, but it's due to be replaced next year and now I'm terrified I'll have a bad experience with the next one...or maybe they won't even be able to find this one to take it out! 

I haven't been sexually active in several months and wasn't that often beforehand, so I'd consider going without but I do love the lack of periods and savings on pads/tampons.  Also I will never go back to Depo because I bled for a month solid after getting the shot, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope the next Mirena works as smoothly as this one!

Proud single Scary Momma to an amazing 5yo DS!