What do you think about perms??
  • LilukiLiluki
    Does anyone have advice or stories about getting a perm? I want to add more curl to my hair, but mostly I want the volume that you seem to get with a body wave.

I'm thinking about getting a loose perm/body wave. Definitely NOT a tight spiral perm!

My hair is down past my shoulder blades and is kind of wavy but not really thick and I have no volume. I put a semi in my hair every two months or so....

What's the daily upkeep like? I'm definitely a wash and go type of girl at the moment. I only blow dry at night if I have recently coloured my hair and don't want to stain my pillowcases purple....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

“If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • pennypenny
    I haven't permed since the late 80s/early 90s, when everyone had spirals, but one thing remains the same - when your hair starts to grow, it will be very obvious where the new growth is. And if you decide you don't want to keep it up, you will have to grow it all the way out and/or cut it off. I know two people who in recent months wanted just what you mentioned - a little extra volume and wave. They both despised their results and couldn't wait to grow it out and get rid of it.
  • pennypenny
    Grr, accidental early post...

If you want to add volume, you can do that pretty easily with the right hair product. Mousse is still around (yes, yes, 80s-tastic) and used properly it can really add some volume. I have a lot of very fine hair, so it lays pretty flat on its own. But with a little mousse it looks full and bouncy, and the wave I have shows up a lot more.
  • TParisxxTParisxx
    I permed my hair a while ago and most of it fell out, scariest moment of my life. Thought I was gonna be bald. Neverrrr again! I will stick to curling tongs and hairspray next time I want volume lol!
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I haven't permed since the 90s, not sure how much better it is now.  The upkeep isn't a big deal, just keep it super moisturized, it's the outgrowth that's a pain!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Honestly, I didn't even know you could still get/do perms.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• anonymommy
    I've tried it several times over the years for the same thing you're after-always ended badly :(. I have super thin, baby fine hair. What works best for me is keeping up with the color-gives it some volume-and finding the right products. Root lifter doesn't just have to be used on your roots, it helps to use it on the rest too. I have to blow dry mine or it is a limp nasty mess.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Can't you get it straightened instead of growing it out? I mean if you decide you're all done with the perm. I know women with curly hair that pay to get their hair straightened professionally. 

“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • Strawberry
    I had a perm with my waiste long hair, I loved it! I always got great compliments and asked if it was natural. Maybe it depends how good the person is at was they do. Just bc theyve been working with hair for 30 yrs doesn't mean they're good at what they do
  • LilukiLiluki
    Thanks everyone!

@tparisxx this is what I have been worried about the most!

@penny I use mouse when I blow dry my hair and even when I blow dry upside down, I never really get any volume... I think my hair is too heavy and the weather here is too humid.

@strawberry you are definitely right. The right hairdresser makes all the difference!
    “If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • pennypenny
    @Gingersnap I suspect that reperming permed hair in order to straighten it would pretty much destroy it and it would still have to be hacked off.
  • Tranquil
    I haven't permed since the 80's I definitely would not recommend it, there are so many amazing products/tools now volume could easily be achieved without the commitment of a perm. Look into a curling wand - not a curling iron, they're usually like $30 and it really adds volume to your hair and if you hate it it's no big deal.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @penny - but don't people re-perm hair to avoid the straight roots coming in? Is the straightening process harder on the hair?
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • pennypenny
    Yes, people do reperm to keep the curl and it tears up the hair then, too. I think the curl might hide it a little better, though. It's just rough on the hair regardless.
  • Lakegirl34
    I have naturally curly hair so I can't speak aboit perms, but I know that in learning to deal with my hair it's most importantly required finding the right cut and the right products. I would talk to a hair dresser about what you want and see what they can do as far as cut and recommending products prior to doing a perm.
  • anonymommy
    Blow drying with a round brush makes a big difference. I blow dry with my head upside down until its just damp and then finish it with a round brush. You'll want a bigger brush the longer your hair is.
  • WebosMama
    The last time I had a perm, years ago, I had a lot of hair break off really close to my scalp. I asked my hair guy about getting a body wave a few years back. According to him, it really is not a body wave so much as a weak perm and that can cause consistency problems - this was his opinion. He also refused to perm my hair because I color it. Apparently, too much processing can cause damage.

I did finally get more body in my hair. Peri-menopause has given full wavy hair. Now if that were the only side effect.
  • Stylistdee509Stylistdee509
    I think perms are a lil aged.. I'm a stylist and if it's body u want I would recommend u just add shorter layers to your length .. If u have naturally curly hair that would definitely bounce those curls back and same time give u body. :)
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I've only had one perm in my life. I was like 10 or 11 I think? Was during my 'chubby' phase. Looked like a cabbage patch kid. ...SHUDDER....

Never again.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.