BARF.
  • missmama5missmama5
    anyone here know anything about baby barf vs spit up? What's normal & what's not? Reflux, anyone? Please tell me your stories!
  • toadintheholetoadinthehole
    How much is there? is it with a burp? Any other time other than with a burp? any discomfort whilst burping?

Nico has reflux, spits up with burping, cries just before a burp, generally fussy if i miss his infacol.

What's happening sweetie?

Edit-nico was in hospital because of it and noah had it too so i might be able to help you <3
    "mummy I love your testicles" - mini-toadinthehole aged 3.5 years
  • missmama5missmama5
    Well I think I'm just being a paranoid mama.
    Avery will spit up little tiny bits sometimes with a burp, sometimes if we lie her down or change her bum right after a feeding. She just took about 3 oz from her bottle and wouldn't burp so I had her upright on my chest_she just went blah.....then went back to sleep lol it didn't bother her, and it was maybe a tablespoon of barf. It just isn't normal for her and I'm worried she isn't going to get enough to eat if she keeps it up. The nurses in the hospital have made me a nervous wreck about her eating and I'm so anxious about it :( I literally write down all her feedings, wet & dirty diapers, and take her temp like 3 times a day. Ugh, am I a psycho?
    No you're not you fool! I think you need to chill and enjoy that beautiful little girl, first off!

It may be a bit of reflux but thats ok, not the end of the world. Try feeding her as upright as you can and sat up for about 20 minutes after a feed that should limit the possibility of oesophagitis. A teaspoon from 3oz is a really small amount, she will still be getting enough milk but if not will soon let you know she's not finished.

Shit, just saw it was a tablespoon...even so thats still probably less than half oz
  • missmama5missmama5
    and she really really hates being burped! Like it's a rare time when she stops squirming so I can hold her to burp.
    Do you guys have gripe water over there?
  • Matt115
    My daughter was formula fed and would spit up on certain types. Ended up with a sensitive formula for a few months. We kept her upright for a half an hour or so after feedings and that helped with the spit up. She would vomit a lot too, I'm not sure if it is the same in all babies, but her spit up was more smooth and vomit definitely had its texture and she was bothered by vomit not bothered at all with spit up.
  • missmama5missmama5
    Well she's sleeping now lol I'm trying to relax! It's so hard, I worry constantly that she's going to get sick or isn't eating enough. Poo.
  • missmama5missmama5
    Yes! I do have gripe water in the cupboard.
    Try some of that in her bottle, will help thr discomfort, we can give 5ml to newborns here
  • missmama5missmama5
    My son was intolerant to lactose and was on soy formula. He used to projectile vomit huge! She just has it dribble or fountain out lol
  • missmama5missmama5
    Thank you, I'll give her some! This is the first time she's actually had a bigger "puke" though so hopefully it's not anything bad!
  • missmama5missmama5
    Now do you know what warrants a call to the doctor?
    If shes dehydrated, nappies arent wet or dirty, fontanelle is sunken

You're starting to worry me @missmama5
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Honey, anything that's worrying you warrants a call to the doctor, but I think she's probably just fine.  It sounds like normal stuff to me, though if you're breast feeding you may have eaten something to upset her tummy.  I remember when dd was newborn, my mom and I ordered pizza.  I made the mistake of ordering double pepperoni.  DD DIDN'T like that AT ALL!  Nor did her tummy. :(  Then on Thanksgiving, I had pecan pie.  THAT gave her diarrhea because of all the corn syrup.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • missmama5missmama5
    Why? I'm sorry :( I'm just nervous that's all. I've been a basket case about her feeding since she was in the nicu :( @toadinthehole she's having lots of soiled diapers and such, her Fontanelle is fine. I think I'm developing postpartum anxiety. It sucks.
  • missmama5missmama5
    @Bellabefana I'm not breastfeeding unfortunately. The nurses in the nicu claimed I was starving her because my milk didn't come in on day 2 so she's been on forMula. This whole thing has got my nerves totally shot.
    I'm sorry hun, it was cuz u asked when should u ring a dr i was worrying myself that you were worried.

She sounds absolutely fine, honestly. Can you speak to your gp about how you feel? Maybe they could put your mind at rest? I completely understand your anxiety, try and take a few deep breaths
  • SasafrasSasafras
    @missmama5 take breath count to ten, I know she is doing fine, you wouldn't let anything happen to her. 3 oz for a baby that young is just fine, little spit up is normal esp since she doesn't like to be burped. Dd would puke over half her bottle, she had acid reflux and she finally grew out of it, she's going to be just fine! Give her some snuggles and if she won't burp try tickling her side, that gets her moving the air out herself when she squirms.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    In that case, hon, maybe a gentler formula?  That's what I had to supplement dd with as her puking got to be epic!

BTW, those NICU nurses are freaking high!  I cannot believe they discouraged you from breast feeding and if you haven't dried up completely (you might try some fenugreek and blessed thistle or More Milk Plus) and you want to, I'd try it again and do a little formula supplement.

I actually got yelled at for the opposite from the neonatologist when I asked how much I should supplement with, the ass almost yelled at me that my baby didn't need anything BUT breast milk (forget the fact that she lost nearly half a pound in 3 days).
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • missmama5missmama5
    @toadinthehole I have to do deep breathing a few times a day, haha. You guys, I'm such a nervous wreck. I'm going to ask my doc about it at my 6 well but I'm pretty sure I've got anxiety.
    I am thrilled to have her here, don't begin to get me wrong, I'm infatuated with her she's perfect. And I'm not sad or depressed. But I'm constantly scared that I'm going to lose her. I've waited so long and I've hurt so much to finally have her and I'm terrified that it's going to end like it did when I lost my other babies :( I love her so much I couldn't bear anything happening to her. It's killing me because I know she's probably just fine. And now I'm sitting here bawling like a fool. I wish I wasn't so scared, I wish I didn't know what it felt like to have happiness ripped away from me :(
    @Bellabefana I was so vulnerable & weak when the nurses told me she was losing weight &I wasn't feeding her enough that I just said okay and dropped breastfeeding because all I wanted was for her to be healthy. I forgot that babies normally lose some weight after birth, I forgot everything I knew. I should have fought harder. And now every tine she spits up or doesn't finish a bottle I pretty much burst into tears.

@sasafras thank you :)
  • missmama5missmama5
    Well. I sound like a crazy person.
    @missmama5 your hormones are still completely out of whack right now. you DONT sound crazy at all. those nurses shouldnt have said half the stuff they did hun. the good thing is you are here talking to us. if you're not bf'ing can you try taking starflower oil to regulate ur hormones?

And please dont cry <3 <3
  • missmama5missmama5
    Thank you. I def am hormonal haha. What is the oil you mentioned?
    Starflower oil, its herbal a bit like primrose oil, let me find a link a minute.......
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Believe me, after waiting until I was 45 just to GET pregnant, then worrying the entire time that something was going to go wrong, THEN worrying something was going to happen to her (I still do, btw) OR worrying that something would happen to me and she'd be left alone in the world w/o her mommy (still do that A LOT, too), I get what you're feeling.  I think that anxiety is perfectly normal especially under the circumstances.

Just relax, sweetie, she's healthy, you're healthy, and babies are far tougher than we think!

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • missmama5missmama5
    @toadinthehole @Bellabefana thank you! It's good to know I'm not alone here.
    Good grief no. dont forget that nico is only 9 weeks old so my memory is extremely fresh.

Hugs my lovely, big chunky full on hugs
  • missmama5missmama5
    :D yay. Thank you again.
  • RaesdayRaesday
    @Missmama5 - my boy was in the NICU too (only about a week, thank goodness), and I was a wreck the first couple of weeks home. The pediatrician told me something that calmed me down a bit when she saw that I was freaking out. She said that everything is so regimented in the NICU (eat this much, diapers need to weigh this much, etc.) and that at home, it didn't need to be that regimented. She told me to just watch the diapers, signs of dehydration, and bring him back in for weight check in a week...

Incidentally, DS also has reflux, so he had some puke/spitup starting, but the bigger signal was an aversion to feeding even though he was clearly hungry... 

On a side note... is there a clinic or local group near you that would let you weigh your babe? That can help you to know that she's keeping most of it down...  We've got a library near us that has a scale available 2x a week for worried moms...
    I'd like to think I'm actually pulling this 'mom' thing off...
  • just_mejust_me
    @missmama5 first of all (((((((((((hugs))))))))))) you are doing an awesome job! No matter what you do, you do it best because you are mommy.

And I wanted to tell you that if you still want to bf you still can...just start pumping and you can get a pill from your ob. I bf for three weeks with my ds5 then decided it was too much and quit. I dried all the way up and totally crashed about a week later because I was so mad and upset with myself. I started pumping and got full milk within a couple of days. That nurse in the NICU was a bitch and I can't blieve she said that to you! Supplementing is good but not stop all together!

Or I would say to try the sensitive formula for your sweetie...also sit her on your knee and bounce and pat her...that's how we get our little ones to burp! >:D<
    I can't be perfect all the time...so give it up already!
  • missmama5missmama5
    @raesday @just_me thank you ladies! Incidentally we have a doctors appointment for weight tomorrow. So I guess I'll just see how she's doing then.

We were only in the nicu for a week too thank goodness but that was long enough to destroy all my confidence as her mother. Sigh. I hope in a few Weeks, once I keep seeing a steady gain and stuff, I'll start to regain that confidence. It sucks.
  • missmama5missmama5
    Avery is doing a bit better with burping but she's still spitting up :( at her weigh in yesterday at the doctors she was 6 lbs 2 oz (birth weight was 5 12 and age left the Hospital at 5 8).
  • GritsGrits
    Aw, hugs @missmama5! All three of mine were epic pukers. Baby boy will be 1 in a few short weeks ( :(( ) and he still spits up a little. She's gaining weight and that's great! All three of mine also had lactose intolerance as babies and we ended up having to use soy formula. It made a whole world of difference. I will never forget the feeling I had when DD8 (my first) was laying on the floor and puked up most of a bottle all over the place--projectile style at 4 weeks. I thought she was dying. It was horrible. Big hugs for you and that beautiful girl! >:D<
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • missmama5missmama5
    @grits that is scary # thank you :)