Language Barrier
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    My DD20mos is learning new words by leaps and bounds.  She has a huge vocabulary, even though we might be the only ones to understand most right now.  But there are also so many times when I WISH I could figure out what the fuck she is trying to say!  I can see that she has connected a word with an object, but it's either too garbled to know what she's saying, or it's not the right word.

This morning she picks up a tiny electronic screwdriver (that DADDY left laying around) and goes "ooooh pee-yay!"  And kept repeating "pee-yay".  Normally, "pee-yay" is "piggy" but I have no idea how that related to a screwdriver.  So my response is generally "oh yeah, that's definitely a thing!"

For the longest time before she gained many words, everything was "ohjeebo".  I still have no idea what ohjeebo is, but the day she can answer my questions, I will be asking.

What are some of the strange words your little ones say/said?  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike

My friend's son used to give a thumbs-up and say, "Keen!" Nobody could figure out what he meant until one day they realized he was fixated on Mr Clean commercials. Hence the thumbs-up and "Keen!"

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Not that long ago DS 5 wanted his great grandmom to make a ballon animal of sorts. He kept telling us what he wanted but we were :-/ he wanted a " go fast , get small ballon " so we were like a dog ? A cat ? A bird ? Nope finnaly we got it when she accidently let go on one end and the ballon went flying around the room ! A go fast , get small balloon ! #-o Yea we did that for at least the next 30 mins. Lol
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
    @momofdbb that's hilarious!

I always feel bad that I have no friggin clue what she is trying to say, but on the other hand, everyday we figure it out and are proud that she is learning these words, even if they are seriously messed up versions.

I was just thinking that maybe "pee-yay" is supposed to be "pointy", but she was holding the pointy end of the screwdriver and looking at the handle.  I may never know, because I obviously took it away from her and put it out of reach lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • SpringSpring
    Could pee-yay mean pretty? My dd said "ooooh peh-yee" about everything and meant pretty. Just a thought cause it's kinda similar.

When she first learned to talk we were in target and she kept going "wassat wassat wassat." Really excitedly. We realized she was saying what's that?! Over and over because she was so excited to be able to say something we constantly repeated to her.
    "Sometimes I question my sanity. Sometimes it replies."
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    One thing we have done to help increase DS 5s vocabulary is when he picks something up and " makes" a name for it and it's not anywhere close we will tell him what it is. If he is close we say " almost , your trying to say screwdriver not screw " ( just an example ) he had some hearing loss when he was younger so his language is a bit behind , but getting better every day. Lol.
    yea I am geek !!
    @Spring that's a good thought, but "pretty" is already a word she's been saying for a while, I can't think of how she says it off the top of my head, but I know it's one of her more obvious words lol

And yeah when we finally realize what she is trying to say we usually end up going "OH! [repeat word properly]!"  And say it properly every time she repeats it.  Or flower is "fwowwie" so we say "yes sweetie, flower!"  Sometimes we still say the baby versions, sadly her bottle is still "baba" even from us.  I've been trying to correct myself so she will learn, but since it's one of her comfort things, it's more of a pet name lol
  • KrabbyKay
    DD called pacifiers "fyers" and DS called them "wow". These were their attempt at "pacifier". DD used to add a "th" to any word that began with "fl". "Thlowers, thlags, thlashy thlip thlops, thloating" etc. Only that, "finger" and things like that were still "fingers". She COULD make the "f" sound, but when paired with an "L" for some reason she thought it was a "TH". DS called lizards, "lizerts" for the LONGEST time. We still call them that at home.
    It's funny because for as many words as DD has now, she only JUST started trying to say "soothie" for her soother, and she doesn't say blankie either.  It's like she doesn't need to name them because they are just always there.

If anyone ever wonders about the progression of her vocabulary, I just make myself feel better by remembering that "thank you" was actually one of her very first words (although it was more "Q" at first and "han-Q" now, emphasis on the Q lol) :D
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Could "pee-yay" be play? I know some small children have a difficult time with blended consonants, my brother always used "BL" in words in place of "BR".

He had a blown coat, he liked blick cheese, he would get bluises, etc...
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • KrabbyKay
    DD's first word was "cat" and her second was the name of that particular cat, Red Man "Wrama". I thought she was saying "Mama", but she got all pissed off and pointed firmly to the cat "WRAMA". I was all bummed "Oh. Red Man. Yes."
    DS first word was "outside" but he said "ide". Outside is what he meant. As in, he wanted to go there, and would shout IDE! IDE!!!! IIIIIIDEEEE!!!!! at you if you didn't get on it.
    LOL @KrabbyKay I feel you, I think DD's actual first word was meowing like the cat, then "titty" (kitty) lol and now she calls him "momo" (Milo) and half the time I think she is saying "mama" but nope.  She said "dada" for much longer, she only recently started saying "mama" or "mommy", usually when I come home from work lol
  • shate98shate98
    Weird words from DS2... he used to say neer-yom! That would be an airplane aka the sound of an airplane so he identified the sound with the object. Me Me is his binky. Never figured out how he got that.

He's talking in full sentences now. This morning he said to DH, "Daddy, would you like me get you a cracker?" Yeah, all he missed was "to get". He does still have trouble with new words. It took him a half hour to get the name Pocahontas right this weekend, but that is a long name. He kept calling her "Honty".

But he's got this strange obsession with the word Peo. I don't know where he picked it up and he names everything Peo. ie "Mommy, this my kitty. I name him Peo. I love Peo." NO CLUE.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Perfectly normal! For a long too, you'll see she'll call everything with 4 legs one thing, in your case, probably cat (or her word for cat) when she sees a real one.

I'm kind of surprised she didn't say daddy when she picked it up, since that's who she aasociates a screwdriver! Just tell her what it really is, and probably the next few months you see huge leaps in her language.
    Bite me, cupcake!
    @BellaBefana she did that!  Everything was a cat at first.  If she saw a dog, she'd meow.  Eventually she separated the two and would pant for dog.  Now she can say both dog and puppy, and well as cat and kitty.  She also knows a bunch of other animals and their sounds, she loves cows and pigs.

I especially love pigs, because this is her face when she snorts:

• SpringSpring
    Aww she's cute!
    "Sometimes I question my sanity. Sometimes it replies."
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    That's adorable! I have to see if I can retrieve dd's word list from my old phone that got wet, 'cause I can't remember anything but "shampoop"
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • KrabbyKay
    DD didn't call the horses "cats". She made a semi-closed-mouth blowing sound for them (the noise they make when they smell you), and she also made a different sound for the dogs, but I can't remember what it was. She only called the cats by an actual word, at first. 
    Shampoop BA HA HA HA HA!!!
    At first I couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out the horse sound!! The horse pen was at the bottom of the drive and we passed it all the time and she's puffing away, and if we fed them or petted or rode them, the puffing stepped up!! 
  • Im_not_AbbyIm_not_Abby
    DS5 had his own language I think. See-saw was a horse, gig-a-fie was a pacifier, I can't remember the rest. DD14mths is a mulit-task talker at the moment. Ba ba is bottle, cup, milk, and brother. Da da is dog or daddy (which is highly amusing to me.) She is now walking around saying doodleoodleoodle and we have no idea what it means or why :-?
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    We still to this day order "Shiny" food instead of Chinese food. That was when DS20 was 3/4?

Doddogs... became dog dogs... & are still the standard used for hot dog.

And on your hand you have 4 flingers & a flumb.

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• beachmommybeachmommy

DS12mo is just learning to talk, so his vocabulary is fairly limited to a few choice words, although they seem to be growing every day.

But when he is tired, everything seems to turn to "dadda".  I try and convince DH that he is calling out for him so that DH feels guilted into taking over for a while...

My beach is still Sandy....
  • Marionettevie
    :-(( mine doesnt say shit!!!!! it seems that anyone that isnt me or my mom is dai..... short for daddy.... he says bye dai! when hs daddy leaves and when he sees random people lol!!! everything he wants me to do, is MAMA, MAMA with that ? sound at the end. he knows to say uh-oh... and uses it appropriately..... but that is ALL he says... :( i wanna hear my baby talk!!
    Since yesterday, DD has started quoting Swiper from Dora and going "oh maaan" except she actually sounds Mexican and it's more like "mang" and it's the funniest thing ever.  She completely understands the context too, she says it when something doesn't go quite right.  Like when her tower falls over.
  • KrysondraKrysondra
    DS13months says Uh-oh all the time.  He also has started saying Mama occasionally.  He babbles a lot though, lots of different sounds. 
    "Too long I've been afraid of
    Losing love I guess I've lost
    Well, if that's love
    It comes at much too high a cost!"
    WICKED ~ DEFYING GRAVITY
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    My ds first word was no.. he wouldnt do anything for hid speech teacher and ignored her so she was alwalys saying no... so he did too...
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    And i babysat a little girl who called her paci a shut up... single young mom who would shove her paci in her mouth yelling shut up..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
    @meandmy243 yikes!  A paci is definitely a mute button sometimes, but wow.
  • just_mejust_me
    Ds5 had us totally stumped when he was about 2 saying he wanted "sissy bice sissy bice sissy bice" turns out it is "cheesy rice". Lol we still call it sissy bice!
    I can't be perfect all the time...so give it up already!
  • irishlassirishlass
    I miss the cute words! I remember them sometimes! The one that stands out is his paci, he called it a 'brm' No idea why!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • LoveLove
    Grace called balloons "kabloons" until she was nearly 7 LOL
    Spawn just says "bwoons"

His bath is a "bathtub" in ANY tense or context LOL
    Momma, I take a bathtub now!
    Run me a bathtub, Momma.

And he calls any drink, a 'bottle', whether it's in a sippy cup, or a glass, or a coffee cup, or a soda can, etc etc.
    I need a bottle! Hand me a bottle. Fix me a bottle. Can I have some of your bottle?
    Bottle=drink to him

community-manager

LOL @Love my DD calls her bath "spashy" (splashy).  After dinner it's always "spashy? spashy? spashy?!"

For mommy's sanity, she does not get a spashy every night.  Sorry kid, mommy needs a drink instead.

Also, I love "kabloons".

• KrabbyKay
    @Love this ttly reminds me of DD in preschool. Let's see, she was in the 2's room so she wasn't 3 yet, and she called her teacher's coke, a beer (it was in a can). "Miss Jen, are you gonna finish your beer?"
    Why yes, we are WT, why do you ask???? *mortified*
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Jameson is 3, and still says "Hamabooger" for hamburger.  It's like the last little mispronunciation he has left and I don't want it to go away!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • SammieSammie
    I have no clue why, but my daughter says "Yo Wakka Wakka" for Yo Gabba Gabba. Sometimes she just shortens it to "Wakka".

community-manager

DD just reminded me of another.  We have a large fish tank, and we have a couple Plecos (sucker/cleaning fish).  DH and I call them "suck-sucks" so every time one appears on the front glass, DD goes "uh oh guck-guck!"

She also calls the big electric catfish "bwo", his name is Bro.  As in, "don't taze me".
  • Countygrrl81Countygrrl81
    My ds3 loved Thomas the train from the time he was like a yr old. At 1 1/2 he called him Dappy. Lol. We would sound it out and he would repeat it T-om-ass then when we would say it as a whole word right after he would say dappy again. Lol. Frustratingly hilarious
    -Well behaved women rarely make history
    -Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Lol reminds me of DS and his K-gees , Canadian Geese. He came up with it on his own. We still call them k-gees.
    yea I am geek !!
  • undercoverbanana
    My dd had a problem with H's and TR. Ex: it wasn't her happy birthday. It was her poppy dayday. And she couldn't say truck. She said fuck....and there are a lot of fucks in Texas.
    i'm nekkid.
  • just_mejust_me
    Lol yeah my ds13 loved trucks but called them fucks. Fucks fucks everywhere! Garbage fuck, delivery fuck, dump fuck, big fuck etc....lol
    I can't be perfect all the time...so give it up already!
  • LoveLove
    OHan 

rackets...

All 3 of mine said "rackets" instead of "rabbits" 
    (rural MS, we have a shit-ton of wild rabbits)

LOOK at the bunny rackets!

community-manager

• LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    DD adds "ee" to everything.  She likes giraffees.  She watches SpongeBobee.  She eats string cheesees.  She wants to play on the laptopee.  Etc. 
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    DS got my mom worried today he kept saying I want to play ( his name ) said ! Well his s sounded a lot like a d ! So my mom thought he was saying dead ! She was feaking. I listened to him and told her what he was really saying and she calmed down.
    yea I am geek !!
  • dasnax
    Aminals= animals
    Kamote=remote
    Meatmalls=meatballs
    Kepitch=ketchup
    My youngest is now 7. This list makes me sad. I miss his little language.
    Aw Kepitch, that's a super cute one!
  • SasafrasSasafras
    Kickle= pickle
    Pippee= sippy
    Addy= daddy
    Choo choo= train

She was a bit of a late talker but one that is so adorable "I ute" for I'm cute!
    Everything thing needs to be in a bull meaning I need a bowl and it has to be her choo choo bull lol
  • Im_not_AbbyIm_not_Abby
    Just reminded at bath time- DD14mths calls a bath "ass" Toddling down the hallway to bathroom chanting ass, ass, ass.
  • HorridWenchHorridWench
    my DS,3, calls chips...shit. Found this gem out just recently, as we are walking down the chip aisle at Walmart and my son is yelling shit! shit! shit! shit! While flailing his arms wildly and grabbing for the Doritos.. next to the nun.. no joke.
    "She Dances in a Ring of Fire and Throws Off the Challenge, With a Shrug" - Jim Morrison
    OOh that's a good one!  Now I can say DD is saying "chips" when she says 'shitshitshit".  We were just going with "sit" but it doesn't usually fit in context.  But I'm pretty sure she is just saying "shit".
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    DD has started calling her cup a "shitty" cup.  It used to be sitty cup.  But she's slurring s's (on purpose, because she thinks it's funny), so now it's shitty cup.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    DS always said fuckayy when he ment to say buffet ! He loved going to the Chinese Buffet ! Lol
    yea I am geek !!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    When DS2 was a little younger and said "bridge" it came out sounding like "bitch." My sister thought it would be funny to get a recording of him saying "My mommys a bridge." LOL