Lazy Mom? Or Plain Genius.. ?
  • MomaFive
    I have little "tricks" I do to make my world easier sometimes. Some of the things I do may appear as "lazy way out" BUT I really think they're small timesavers that make my life easier.

ie: when we are home and DD needs a butt change but is wearing stretchie pants/leggings I will peel them off of her and leave them inside out to put them back on. the oldest pointed out that i should turn them right way, but honestly why the fuck do I care if they're inside out or not? we're home and they're holding her diaper on.... *shrug*

ie 2: at night after a bath I will put DD3 into stretchies, oversized shirt and socks & since she's no longer peeing at night she doesn't leak = she's dressed and ready for the next day (especially beneficial when DH works at 5am, and I work at 7am, she's basically ready to go then)

Anyone have time savers they do? Really, some of these things make me so much happier because it takes less time out of my day (working ft, have 3 kids, i dont have much until they're kicked off to bed).
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Layndry sort by person..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • just_kimjust_kim
    Before my kids started school, I always used the sleep in tomorrows clothes thing. I did it too, as a matter of fact. (pretty casual workplace at the time!)
    Now that all three are in school all day (hooray), I try to do as much prep the night before as I can. Lunches ready (except for sandwich), backpacks ready, etc. I had a friend who used to make her kid leave her shoes in the car so they would be easy to find in the morning...i thought that was a bit much, tho!
  • rockmomrockmom
    @momafive, you do better than I do. I take off ds1.5's pants to change a diaper then don't even put them back on! It's warm in the house, so who cares? lol.
    Also, @leopardgirlie, I also have 3-4 diaper bags. 

I'm too busy with school/work to be a well-organized mother. :)

tripp175a
  • MomaFive
    @just_kim my middle critter is in a lunch program (small fee = lunches provided daily yay) so she doesn't need lunch and the oldest packs her own so I get out of that crap hassle
    but back in the day (prelunch program last yr) I always prepacked lunches

@rockmom LoL I used to but she's developed a little OCD and can not go without her pants on even in the house 
  • undercoverbanana
    Both kids had a ton of socks identical, but different from each others. I just had a sock basket. Whoever got in trouble got to sort and mate socks. I hated it. When I had time, and no kids were being buttholes, I mated socks and played catch with them. I would mate and ball up the socks, and pitch them tto them.
    i'm nekkid.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike

Switching DD from baths to showers was a big time-saver - it seriously shaved 30 minutes off the evening routine. She still gets baths on the weekends if she wants, but school nights = shower.

We also only wash DD's hair every second night, unless she got super sweaty during the day. Her hair is really long, so that's a great time-saver. The nights we don't wash it, she gets a "crotch-and-butt" shower that literally takes five minutes.

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Socks don't have to match... as long as you have 2 on... it's your *style* (yeah let's go with that)

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• KrabbyKay
    ^^^^making my fur stand up!!! If you want to do that in my house, fine, but DO NOT show me!!!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Good ideas ladies make life easier not harder . Who the ding dong dell cares
    KrabbyKay said:

^^^^making my fur stand up!!! If you want to do that in my house, fine, but DO NOT show me!!!

@KrabbyKay
    99% of the time... I just buy the same type of socks. ALL THE TIME. But every so often, they have to have the pattern ones like me... MINE match... I just don't/didn't care with them... I'm not missing the bus over socks. LOL
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• GritsGrits

KrabbyKay said:

@KrabbyKay
    99% of the time... I just buy the same type of socks. ALL THE TIME. But every so often, they have to have the pattern ones like me... MINE match... I just don't/didn't care with them... I'm not missing the bus over socks. LOL

This is why we only buy white socks. As long as it's the right size, we're good. I hate hunting down socks.

I get as much ready for in the morning as I possibly can. Clothes laid out down to socks, shoes, and jackets. DD8 helps DD4 get dressed while I get ready and get little man ready (if DH is out of town).

I pack a diaper bag and take it to the car the night before. One less thing to pack out.

All three kids go in the tub at the same time. This will only work for another couple of years, if that. But for now, makes my night that much easier.

I do laundry by which room it goes to. Then if I don't get around to folding it, the basket of clean clothes goes to that room and I at least know where to look for whoever's shirt/pants/undies.

I do dishes as I cook. By the time we're done eating, all I have left is a couple of pots and the dinner plates.

And my DD8 is my slave helper. There is a lot she can do to help out. She doesn't love it, but she has come to realize that everyone is happier when she does, and it leaves time for mommy to spend with them before bed at night.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • KrabbyKay

KrabbyKay said:

^.. I'm not missing the bus over socks. LOL

I have had damn-nears with bus and socks. Not because they don't match (I'd just have to close my eyes), but because DD didn't have the *right* kind of socks. She is sock weird, has some total sensory phobia about the seams and will only wear this one effing certain sort of tube sock, which for a horror-movie-worthy short period, I COULD NOT FIND for purchase. I have since bought up every single bag. 
    Usually for speed I have the kids pick out their clothes the night before. Sometimes I pack lunches. Back in the day when I had to speed, I used to pack lunches the night before, lay out clothes, find shoes and put them out, (or have kids do it), and both kids in the tub together. If I forgot to pack a lunch, it led to things like the K class at DD's school learning I made lunch in the nude
    :-L
    Whoa... wait... all these years... I was supposed to fold the clothes?
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• SassySassy
    I put leggings on my son for each day. We have enough that he has a pair for every day of the week and a couple of extras. That way I don't have to remove pants for a diaper change. I wash/stuff diapers every third day and leave them in the living room in a basket. We have used our changing table four or five times....

I'm currently trying to make SO wash his dishes immediately after use so I'll only have to do the pans and my dishes since our dishwasher is STILL not fixed.
  • KiinuKiinu
    I don't fold the kids clothing anymore... they just dig through their dressers and mess it up.. I used to fold and set their clothes up in matching outfits inside the dresser to make life easier for DH. But the girls and now even DS will not stay the eff out of the drawers. So their clothes get sorted by who's it is, and just tossed in the dresser.

For DH and I, I roll all the clothes instead of folding, it's easier to see that it is and move everything around while looking for a certain shirt if I keep them rolled like little clothing sleeping bags XDD

• tryingtohangon
    I like the clothing sleeping bags! 

I am too OCD not to match socks. And I fold everything. I try getting lunches packed the night before and started meal planning/buying food at the beginning of the week and sticking to the schedule. Except tonight. I have a headache. He is getting pizza rolls. 
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    All of my socks are the same black socks. DS9's socks are all the same and white. DH's has dress socks and sports socks, but they are also all the same. DS5 has a mismatched sock collection, but he won't next year.

Shoe buckets at the front door. That's where your outdoor shoes go. On the boot tray if they are wet. House shoes go on.

We don't make the beds. Airing the bedding decreases moisture and dust mites don't thrive as well. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Digital movie collection on portable hard drive. I'm done looking for misplaced/misfiled discs. So done.

Sheet sets are stored in the pillowcase matching the set. I don't fold fitted sheets neatly, but it looks tidy enough in the pillowcase.

In a pinch, I'll run a little hair gel in DS9's hair to get him through a school day until bath time after school. But he is getting in the tub after school.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • Luna523Luna523
    My daughter has to pick out her outfit for school the night before, down to socks, shoes, and underwear. This has saved our lives, seriously. No more fighting in the morning and she hasn't missed the bus since.
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    I always pack lunches and set up the coffee pot the night before.

When I wash sheets, I fold everything then stuff it flat into a matching pillowcase. (Fitted sheet, flat sheet, pillowcase stuffed inside the other pillowcase).

I keep a flat of bottled water in my trunk, for practices/games etc.

I make out a weekly menu and grocery list which saves huge time while shopping and I can plan meals based on leftovers from earlier in the week (ie Monday: roast 2 chickens. Tuesday chicken tacos. Wednesday chicken and rice. Thursday chicken soup)
  • KrabbyKay
    This pillowcase thing is a FANTASTIC idea!!! (says KK whose linen closet is about to attack)
  • Luna523Luna523
    Yea I like that pillowcase idea as well....
  • MotherOfGizmo
    I've trained DS10 to be useful. He fetches snacks/ fills sippy cups for DS3, does his own laundry on the weekends, takes out the garbage/recycling, helps me do the dishes, and sanitizes his own bathroom. He also knows how to vacuum, scrub floors, and dust.  
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @rosamundi - great minds think alike, huh? I also do the meal planning & grocery list. I use a list app. And we usually roast a chicken a week.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    @Gingersnap, I'm honored you would think so! I love having a roasted chicken to work with, it seriously simplifies my life. :)
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I pack lunches the night before, set out ds5s school clothes the night before. I clean the bathroom sink and toller while the kids take a bath
  • MomaFive
    oh also : sunday evening/afternoon i get all the veggies fixed up for lunches for the week
    i prep all the broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, peppers, etc (wash & cut up)
    then i bag them in packets for the girls' for school and put them in the fridge so that when packing lunches they can just be grabbed and tossed into the lunches
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    I remember those days I just had the biggest nightmare
  • OpheliaOphelia
    I keep stuff for Ry at my dad's and my grandmom's. have since I went back to work when she was 8weeks old. All I have to do is get her out the door cause she has everything she needs at whichever house she's going to. I'll do the same with Wyatt.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • wishingforsleepwishingforsleep
    @Gingersnap - I love your pillow case / sheet storage system! am going to adopt this in my house next time I wash the bedding. Seems like a great time saver, I hate folding sheets, especially hate folding fitted sheets, they always look like I've just stuffed them in the drawer anyway. Now I'll stuff them in a pillow :)
  • pistolpackinmama

Both kids had a ton of socks identical, but different from each others. I just had a sock basket. Whoever got in trouble got to sort and mate socks. I hated it. When I had time, and no kids were being buttholes, I mated socks and played catch with them. I would mate and ball up the socks, and pitch them tto them.

Pure genius