Best kind of potty training seat?
  • Lakegirl34
    My son will be 2 in March and has started showing an interest in the toilet, pretending to pee in it and flush and indicating when he needs to be changed sometimes.
    I started looking at potty training seats at Target today and there's so many. What kind/ brand did/do you like?
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    DS liked the one with the built in handles . If you go with a pit on the big one type. Of you get a little potty , try to not get one with the plastic pee guard. If its hard plastic , accidental scraping sensitive parts might deter potty use ! DS has one that I cars with handles and a potty hook to hang it up when not in use.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • pennypenny
    My son despised potty chairs. He only wanted to use the big toilet like at daycare, but we had a hard time finding a seat that fit both the toilet and him comfortably. We ended up getting the toilet seat with a built-in smaller seat for smaller tushies, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-83EC-000-NextStep-Lift-Off/dp/B00596IFBG He loved it and it didn't take up any additional space.

Whatever you decide to go with, be sure to check yard sales, consignment, and Craigslist - it's easy enough to sanitize a toilet seat/potty and at least you're not out too much $ if he doesn't like it.
  • LLBLLB
    We bought 2 of the little stand alone potties but my kids never really used them. And when they did it was a pain in the butt to clean them out. Plus they took up a lot of space in our tiny bathroom.

I tossed them after a few weeks and We just used one of the basic ones you put on the regular toilet.

The one @penny posted actually looks pretty convenient! I'll have to remember that when its time for this baby to start potty training!
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I bought a cheap potty seat at ikea. And we have McQueen that goes on the big toilet
  • just_mejust_me
    Maybe my ds5 wasn't doing it right but we had ALOT of spraying with the seats that go on the toilet....made a hell of a mess. Yes we did tuck but once the pressure started it just wiggled like a garden hose. We ended up getting what we call "froggy potty". Its made by fisher price and they kiddos actually sit begind the frog head...it works awesome for those sprayers! :D
    I can't be perfect all the time...so give it up already!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    We have the frog too! DS hated it ! Oh well ! He is happy with his seat now. He has to stand up to pee thoug. Yes he has done the garden hose thing all over the bathroom ! It probaly didn't help that we both started laughing when it started ! I have tried to get him to hold on to it when peeing to aim it but that time he was just trying to pee with no hands. I said hold it, and pee started going everywere and we both about died laughing , and he just kept peeing ! Then we giggled whilst cleaning the seat and the floor ( both sides of the toilet ) and the wall and the back of the toilet ! He has been better though !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • mama2boys
    We have the frog potty chair too!  And it's great for boys!  My son started early also (22 months old) and we used the froggy first before dealing with the big toilet.  Now we have a toilet ring too... but it took time to teach him how to push his "wee wee" down while the pee came out.
  • WabiSabiLife
    We also have the built in like Penny. Ours is also a slow closer so DS doesn't risk smooshing anything, lol. (funny story: friend was visiting and didn't know about our special seating arrangement. Used DS's seat and later asked us about our special booty cupping action on the seat. Cut to all adults surrounding the toilet to review which seat was actually employed, lol)
  • Lakegirl34
    Lol @wabisabilife I can see me doing something like that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and I like the idea of looking at yard sales so I can try different ones to see what he likes and will use.