7 year old boy arrested. Thoughts?
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    http://www.inquisitr.com/502639/7-year-old-arrested-bronx-boy-worst-bully-says-alleged-victim/

The arrest and holding of 7-year-old Wilson Reyes has made headlines.
    Reports depict photos of a small boy sitting in a chair, handcuffed to
    the wall while he waits for his parents to rescue him from the NYPD
    precinct. But one family is coming forward with another story of little
    Reyes, one that suggests the boy who was “falsely accused” of stealing
    and spent time being questioned by police isn’t the innocent he claims
    to be.

Seth Acevedo is 9 years old, and has known Reyes from the beginning of the school year. While earlier reports suggested that Reyes was falsey accused of stealing $5 from Seth, the 9-year-old tells a different story.

“Wilson was the worst bully,” Seth told the News. “He would call me
    names. He would punch and kick me. I wish they never took the cuffs off
    of him.”

The Reyes family claims that their son spent 6 hours at the NYPD
    precinct under false pretenses — and is suing the precinct for $250
    million — after being accused of stealing money from another kid at
    school, and getting in a fight. According to The New York Post, Reyes
    was minding his own business when a $5 bill fell on the ground in front
    of Wilson and two other kids. One of the other boys picked up the
    money, and a scuffle broke out amongst the boys after Wilson was falsely
    accused of taking it.

“My son was crying, ‘Mommy, it wasn’t me! Mommy, it wasn’t me!’ I
    never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We’re traumatized,”
    Wilson Reyes’ distraught mom, Frances Mendez says of finding her son
    hours later at the police station.

The Post calls the arrest a “bizarre overreaction,” noting
    that police officers arrived at the school, handcuffed Wilson, and held
    him in a room for hours before hauling him off to the station for “six
    hours of interrogation and verbal abuse.”

Now, the little boy who is missing his $5 is coming forward with another, very different story. Acevedo, standing with his mother, recounts months of being bullied by Reyes. According to Acevedo, he was robbed.

“Wilson ran up to me with another boy … and they both stuck their
    hands in my pocket,” the 9-year-old victim said. “Wilson stole the money
    and … punched me in the face.” According to police sources, Wilson
    punched Acevedo as 9-year-old accomplice Javonne McLeod grabbed the
    money from the victim’s pocket.

According to Seth, Wilson “wanted to fight,” but Seth told the
    7-year-old that he didn’t want to fight. Acevedo recounted, “And that’s
    when he punched me in the face.”

Ramos recalled how her crying son returned home that afternoon: “He said, ‘Mommy, I just got robbed.’ ”

Janet Ramos, Seth’s mother, calls Wilson a “a terror,” a boy who “has been bullying my son since school started.”

“He’s violent and he needs to be restrained,” Ramos, 38, reported.
    “He punches my son. One time he kicked (Seth) in the stomach. … He has a
    temper, and has no respect for authority.”

Ramos said she has contacted school officials several times about Wilson’s behavior.

Despite the accusations, Reyes’ attorney insists that his small client was the true victim in the case.

“The child did absolutely nothing wrong,” Jack Yankowitz said. “He
    did not take any money from any child. … The arrest was a complete
    violation of his civil rights, of his human rights.”

The Reyes family is suing the city, claiming physical, emotional, and mental harm.

Ramos, however, feels police acted correctly in their dealings with the 7-year-old.

“I would have handcuffed him, too.”

What do you think is the real story here?

Ladies, what you you think? Apparently, this kid is a bully, and I think that something like this would teach him a serious lesson, though hold him for HOURS and interrogating him seems like overkill. Thoughts?

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    Well.  In my opinion... there are so many little shits being terrible bullies and growing up to be flaming assholes because they were never punished.  Maybe this arrest will wake this little punk up and scare him away from acting like a shithead in the future.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    If this kid really is a bully......he won't learn shit from the arrest, other than acting a fool gets you more money and no matter what I do, my mommy believes I'm an innocent lil lamb. Good luck to the fam raising that kid......hope they realize eventually this won't be the LAST time he will be in cuffs.
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion

If this kid really is a bully......he won't learn shit from the arrest, other than acting a fool gets you more money and no matter what I do, my mommy believes I'm an innocent lil lamb. Good luck to the fam raising that kid......hope they realize eventually this won't be the LAST time he will be in cuffs.

VERY good point.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • GritsGrits
    I think the interrogation was overkill, but certainly not worth $250M. It seems like he has the kind of parents who don't believe their child is capable of any wrong-doing and will defend his behavior at any cost. My biggest gripe is with the lawyer who took the arrested kid's case. Only in it for the cash. He can't see any real merit in suing for that kind of money. It's not like they waterboarded the kid or anything.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
    @Grits You have to think, though, the department will settle for much less, just to get the bad publicity to go away. The lawyer and the family will get a nice chunk of change.

• GritsGrits
    @TheMomFactor Oh, I know. Lawsuits in general are way out of hand in this country. Even 25 years ago a kid who got arrested would have been in deep shit with his parents. Now? It seems to be perfectly acceptable to pat little Johnny on the head and berate the officers for punishing the kid. Even if the kid genuinely fucked up.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • 456Imamom
    Maybe it's because I was severely bullied as a child and teen, but I don't think there is anything wrong with what the police did. In fact, I'm glad the attack and stollen money was treated as a crime, and not brush off as 'boys will be boys'. 
    I hope that (if this does go to court) the judge looks at the Reyes kid's file/history with with the school and takes that into account. If he is bullying kids like the other boys said, I'd like for the law suit to be thrown out of court and have the court force the parents of the Reyes boy to pay for the police/city's legal costs. THAT might teach them to realize that their 'little Wilson' isn't so innocent, and that THEY can't go around bullying either. By bullying I mean suing the city cause their mad. 
    @Grits I know!! My dad told me that if I ever got arrested, my ass would sit in jail until he felt like coming to get me. My children will NOT act this way. It astounds me that parents allow it. And I have every intention of teaching my kids to defend themselves against bullying little shits. The teachers, principles and parents aren't doing near enough to fix it, and I won't sit by while my kid gets his ass kicked during recess.

• undercoverbanana
    Fucking morons. You can't legally question a child without a guardian, advocate or social worker present. What the hell is wrong with them.
    i'm nekkid.

Fucking morons. You can't legally question a child without a guardian, advocate or social worker present. What the hell is wrong with them.

That's true, but we don't know if there was an advocate present or not. They probably had one, if for no other reason but to cover their asses.

• GritsGrits
    @456Imamom, agree with you 100%.
  • 456Imamom
    Awe! Thanks @Grits  :\">
  • undercoverbanana
    I dont think a social worker or advocate would let the cops leave him cuffed to a chair for hours.
    i'm nekkid.
  • beambeam
    I see nothing wrong with a kid being arrested and sitting handcuffed awhile for this. With the parents suing for such an outrageous amount (even if it turns out an error) makes me believe that in this case the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
    @beam Agreed.

• theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    I can't imagine any child being so rotten at 7 that he deserves to be handcuffed and questioned. I mean seriously 7, my son is 10 and I would have a royal fit if someone arrested him for something petty and held him for hours even if he did do the crime.  Pulling him into custody and calling parents and then even coming up with some punishment like parental supervised community service sure...but handcuffing to a chair and questioning for 6 hours. Sorry I know a lot of you are pro punishment for this kid but I can't imagine it.
  • Ashdawn684Ashdawn684
    @theprincessmommy there are some pretty bad 7 year olds! The little girl next door to me was bullied so bad so was physically ill every time the kid was around. He put gum in her hair one day, her mom called the school and they said he denied it and no one saw him. It got so bad just going to school caused her to have diarrhea problems. The last straw was he took scissors and cut her hair (her hair was down to her waist he cut it almost to the scalp) he was only written up and had detention, she ended up moving schools. Did I mention this boy was 6 years old? My neighbor contacted his mother and she told him that he would never do that he gets along great with his step sisters he would never do that.
    ~Live life to the fullest, or die trying~
  • WhoDatIsWhoDatIs
    My thought is that the adults knew how much of an asshole the bully is and the cops wanted to scare him, which is fantastic I want them to scare my son a bit too! Parents of the bully saw a way to make some chee$e and the lawyer knows he/she can get a big payout from this case.
    Dunno if the cops followed code or not, don't really care in this case, if they felt it appropriate to hold a seven year old, the kid must have shown some true assholery.
    You and me, we go way back.
  • WhoDatIsWhoDatIs
    And yes, kids can turn into evil evil beings when they are allowed to run around with no supervision all day basically on the streets raising themselves while both parents work, if there are two in the home. Working in my field I see it all the time. Not just from low income families either and the problem is worse in big cities.
    You and me, we go way back.
  • beambeam
    To add: 6 hours for a 7 year old is excessive BUT I imagine the parents were called right away and couldn't, for whatever reason, go pick up the child. The police station is not a daycare, they do not have the personnel nor the structure to be one, if the kid sat there for 6 hours who is to blame? And as much as I dislike cops, I highly doubt they went all Jack Bauer interrogation style on the kid and were probably pretty nice to him, maybe not so to the parents.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • Peace
    The problem with these stories is that the school isn't allowed to respond because of regulations regarding a minor's privacy. The police will only say so much about it.

According to the one link the cops said the boy was in the precinct for 4 - 5 hours for processing, etc. Everything should be taped. I don't believe for a minute this child was "interrogated" for 5 hours. But from 3 pm to almost 8 pm is a long time, especially for a kid that young.

Once I hear of a 250 million dollar lawsuit, I lose objectivity. And it does bother me that the mom, so relieved to get to her poor innocent babe, worried to death about him....makes sure she gets a pic of him handcuffed.

If she's saying to this kid that they'll make the police & school pay, etc., etc., she's the one who's going to paying trying to deal with him. What @schweddyballs said.

Like some of you, I was all about protecting my dd.
    She knew that if she ever caused serious trouble, to pray.
    That the police got there before I did. :D
  • 456Imamom
    My mom was like @Peace. I was more afraid of what my mom would do to me if i got in trouble than what the school or police could ever do. I'm trying to raise my boys the same way!
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    I see thursday and saturday visits, rolls of quarters, polaroid family potraits and toilet wine in this kids future........
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    *If* the kid is a bully and beat up this other kid for money, I don't think handcuffs were out of order. I think he did need a scare to make him realize what he did was wrong. *But* now that his mom is defending him as an innocent victim, I don't think he's going to learn much from the ordeal. I do think 4 - 5 hours is a long time for a kid that young, though. Does it say he was held and questioned without an advocate? 

I don't know what I would do I found out my kid was a bully. I guess first I'd let him know that I do not approve, then buckle down on the kid to make sure he doesn't have unsupervised time, then I'd seek some family counseling/therapy on how to proceed. ? I haven't been there. IDK
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • BlessieBlessie
    I have known seven year olds that needed handcuffs. And thought so at seven myself. That kid (one in particular) scared the crap out of me.
  • BassmomBassmom
    $250 million! U got to be fucking kidding me!!!
  • theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    I don't know I guess I am just having a hard time processing it because I have never personally met a child that evil and I keep picturing my son in that situation and his case it would be overkill and probably a misunderstanding he wouldn't hurt a fly.
  • LilukiLiluki
    Why would the cops waste their time arresting a 7 year old over $5.00 and a school yard scuffle? Is it possible they are not reporting the full story? Or is this just the latest incident in a long list of bad behavior?

I don't understand why the parents are suing the police... Surely having to collect your 7 year old from the police station would be a wake up call, not an opportunity to make some easy money?

I just don't understand any if it...

“If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • SasafrasSasafras
    @ 7 years old why is an arrest even necessary? Shouldn't the parents be the one to discipline the kid and if that doesn't work i'd be calling the cops to give my kid the scare they deserve. Stealing 5$ and constant bullying a kid, you better believe my kid would wonder if she'd ever get to see outside again. And the kid she bullied, would now have a slave till the parents felt the debt was paid.
    That said if she was held for 5 hours at the police station with no call to me @7 years old, heads would roll. But id never sue for 250 million either. That's absolutely outrageous.