Whole Milk
  • MsAsdy
    When did you start giving your LO whole milk? DD11m is quickly approaching that 12 year mark, eating table foods, and becoming little miss independent. I cannot, for the life of me, remember how this goes. With DD4 I had a home nurse who helped me through the first two years of her life. Now I feel like a fish out of water.
    So a refresher course would be nice please!!??
  • undercoverbanana
    he should be fine. If he has shown no allergies. Whole milk fats are good for babies.
    i'm nekkid.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    What I did with ds5 was mix the milk and formula together. 4oz of formula with 2oz of milk, and then just increase it until you get to all milk. I also only did milk in a sippy cup. Hope that helps
  • DreamerDreamer
    I did what @shouldclean did. Started mixing it and over the course of a few weeks
    There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. Which one are you?
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    I started about 10mnts half and half bm or formula. That way they got used to it and about 11-12mnts mark i switched completely.
  • Marionettevie
    oh shit. i was supposed to be giving him milk.... or is this a FF babies thing?
  • squishsquish
    Right after DS turned one. Milk and sippy cups all at once. Took about two or three cups mixed with formula for him to acclimate but he transitioned well.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Agree w the 4 oz to 2 oz s start and wind down the formula ....blessings
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    Ff and bm babies. But to each there own.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    @Marionettevie my baby is 8.5 months and ebf I will transition him to milk at about a year. I am counting down the days because I'm done bfing...three kids in 5 years, I'm ready to have my body back :)
  • CinnaCinna
    I used the formula they make for 12 to 24 months until he was 18 mos then whole milk
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    12 months is the rule of thumb, but mine didn't tolerate then, so I went back to breast milk/formula combo...also, I wanted her to have the Omega-3's they put in formula.  I left her on toddler formula until 18 months, maybe, kept trying whole milk slowly until she stopped throwing it up.

If he can handle it at 12 months, he's probably going to be fine at 11, just watch for intolerance.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Lakegirl34
    My pediatrician was adamant about waiting until 12 months for the switch, so that's what we did. I did a straight switch, and he did fine with it.
  • Marionettevie
    maybe its because he doesnt drink anything other than water and bm still. and the occasinal juice but i had no idea i was supposd to be giving him milk... HAHA! oops. i mean he gets some when he steals my cereal but thats it
  • mommyof2_76
    I started giving DD 11 mo. Whole milk at 10 mo. For meal times in sippy cup. Formula in bottle only at nap time. I switched to milk at bedtime 2 days ago. Now to start watering down the milk to slowly get her off her bottle. She will be 1 on the 16 th.
  • MsAsdy
    thanks for all the input ladies. I can't believe I forgot how this goes. So when do u stop the night time bottles? I give her one at bed time but she's still getting up once or twice hungry :( I'm going to try one of those little Gerber meals tonight to see if that will help her get more filled up.
  • SassySassy
    @MsAsdy my best friend had to keep giving her son bottles or snacks in the middle of the night because he would wake up absolutely starving. I think he was 26 months when that stopped....
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    MsAsdy I fed them a snack before bed. And that seemed to help
  • beambeam
    I bfed until 16 months (but gave her lots of diary products to introduce her to cow's milk at around 6 months if I remember) and when we stopped bfing 2 months ago I switched to formula for the 1-3 year olds but put it in a bottle. She had never really used a bottle before as I bfed from the boob and has been using a sippy cup for forever for water and drinks quite well from a regular cup and I don't see the big deal - she really isn't attached to the bottle. I tried to transition to whole milk but wasn't really going for it. I'll try again soon, not worried about it though.

Not to derail the thread but I have a question - do you ladies heat your whole milk or is it cold when you give it to them?
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • mommyof2_76
    I give her the milk cold. If she is sick I will run it under hot water and warm it a bit. I don't really have any advice about middle of the night feeding as I was lucky and both of my kids slept through the night at 3-4 months.
  • beachmommybeachmommy

My son is turning one next week so I have been reading a couple of books to see what I am in store for.  Both the books I am reading suggest whole milk at around the 1 yr mark, transitioning to drinking from a cup, leaving the morning and the nighttime bottles for last to take away. 

Both books stress the importance of offering your 1yo a variety of foods throughout the day, with milk offered at meal times and for snacks (again - from a cup). The recommend snack / milk at night right before bed if you have a middle-of-the-night hungry baby. 

Of course, every child is different, and many of my friends still have 2yo's that wake during the night, so I don't think it is that uncommon.  Luckily DS starting sleeping straight through about a month or so ago (for the most part anyway).  This week he has pushed his night-time bottle away before finishing it twice, so I think he is getting ready to be weaned off the bottle completely.  Which blows my mind - I mean - he may be ready, but I don't think I am!

I have given him a couple of sippy-cups with whole milk over the past few days and he seems to like it, so I am going to be switching him over completely now. 

My beach is still Sandy....
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    DD's doc said to stop bottles at 1, but I just couldn't! I tried around 2 (by then it was only bedtime) but she just screamed. Then, I packed up the car to go home for Christmas, took a couple with me "just in case" and magically, the night before we left was her last bottle, never even asked for one after that.

So. My feeling is don't worry too much about it, they won't head off to kindergarten dragging their "ba ba's" with them!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • shate98shate98
    we went cold turkey at 12 months.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    My ped said that we could start her on it anywhere from 10-12 months and so on.  She was and still (at 27 months) is breastfed.  At first, she didn't take kindly to cow's milk at all.  In fact, she still drinks MAYBE one cup per day.  But she also eats some greens, yogurt, cottage cheese, and regular cheese like a champ, so her doctor said the cow's milk wasn't really that important, as long as she's getting calcium, vitamin D, and fats elsewhere.
  • cheesehead4ever
    Both kids at 12 months. Gradually decreased formula and increased the whole milk in the bottle. Didn't manage to get DD1 off the bottle until 22 months. At 13 months with DD2, I ran out of bottle liners. Took away the bottle that day. Too bad for me that DD believed only water belonged in the sippy cup. She refused to drink milk for the next year and a half. I was giving her cheese and yogurt at every meal to get the dairy in her. If I had known she was going to be so stubborn, I wouldn't have forced the bottle issue.
    If I could do it again, I would have put formula in the sippy cup the day she learned to use it to get her used to the idea.
  • AAA08
    I bf both. One to 26 months, the other 13 months. Started cow milk also at at 1 in a sippy cup(introduced it around 6 months). No issues. Edit: Not the milk, but the cup.
  • 456Imamom
    We introduced milk products (yogurt, then cheese) between 8 and 10 months. We started milk in a sippy cup at 12 mths. We switched from his bedtime formula bottle to milk at 14 mths because we were away for Christmas and it was so much easier... by 16 months we had moved from bedtime milk to water bottle. We got him completely off the bottle at 19 mths by taking him shopping for a 'Big Boy Bottle' and letting him pick it out. He took the new water bottle to bed that night and hasn't looked back since. We tried a sippy cup of water at bed instead of a bottle earlier.... but that was a bloody nightmare!