Do You Give Up Anything For Lent?
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Lent begins Ash Wednesday (February 13th) & ends the day before Easter. (March 30th)

People tend to think of Lent as only a Catholic holiday.

No meat on Friday etc. Fast food makes a killing on fish. (McDonald's just launched Fish McBites btw. They even come in Happy Meals)

But, other Christian denominations celebrate Lent also. Methodists, Baptists, Lutheran etc... I go to a Congregational church myself. (The one the Pilgrims started)
    I haven't yet decided what I'm giving up.

Do you give up anything for Lent?

Television?
    Alcohol? (I did that once... it was hell)
    Chocolate?
    Sex?
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• KrabbyKay
    SEX lmao. Sugar once. I think we're gonna do that one again. Alcohol. (usually that's mine).
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Nope, in my book thats just setting myself up to fail. lol
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    can i give up my inlaws? or just the bitch sil?
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • imamess

Cradle Catholic here :)  I used to always give something up every year and by the end of the second week I would have blown it.  Last year I did some reading and decided that rather than only giving things up I would do something.  Like an extra prayer or good deed.  Watch the neighbors kids, make someones favorite desert, pick up the groceries of the person behind me in the line.

I also did it for my daughter, she's under the age to sacrifice for Lent, but it was fun to have her keeping track of her extras all Lent long. 

• KrabbyKay
    INLAWS!!! What a *great* idea!!!!
  • SassySassy
    Caffeine. Last year I did extras. Next year will probably be sugar....
    @imamess
    GREAT POINT!
    Forgive me for leaving that out.
    When you give something up, its supposed to give you time to reflect, pray... etc. So, lent is also a perfect time to add deeds rather than take away as well.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• undercoverbanana
    my liver. BWAHhahahahahaha..........
    i'm nekkid.
  • forkinthehead
    I don't observe lent. My SO's mom does. Usually it's donuts...not all sweets...just donuts. I on the other hand get threatened with holy water. I told her that I am immune, I am not Catholic. She still threatens me.
  • KrabbyKay
    you get *threatened* with *holy water*??? ~mad snickering~  
    And how do you keep from giggling at this (besides that to do so would of course be rude...)
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    We don't officially do the lent thing but I joke that I'm giving up smoking. The someone will say , you don't smoke ! True , so it won't be hard to give it up !! I do like to celebrate Fat Tuesday though !!!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • forkinthehead
    @KrabbyKay...I do and it is all in fun. She has sprinkled me a few times. I always yell " it burns! It burns!" We both get a good laugh out of it :) When they do talk me into going to mass. There is always a bet amongst the family how long it will take me to catch on fire, lol.
  • missmama5missmama5
    I'm going to give up being a bitch for Lent.
    Just kidding! I fucking love being a bitch!

Maybe I can give up being pregnant.
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    in the past I tried to pull the "bj" card.......after Jeffe pointed out my alter and reminded me of all the times I claimed to LOVE wang doodle licking......I gave up.....fuck it!!!!!
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • episcopal
    As you might guess from my SM name, I am Episcopalian.  We observe Lent and there are many different ways of doing so.  A lot of people do give something up.  Others will give more of their time to help someone or a group of people who are going through difficult times.  Some will devote more time than usual to prayer or spiritual reading.  Others will attend Sunday or midweek services with greater frequency.  Still others will take part in a learning opportunity offered by the local congregation.  Giving something up never worked for me.  I'm more about taking something on when it comes to Lent.
  • junglezoo
    The only time I have succeeded in not having chocolate is when I give it up for lent. I'm not catholic but baptist and I'm not a practicing christian either...probably because my H is an atheist. I will probably give up chocolate again this year.
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • shate98shate98
    Usually I give up meat for the entirety of Lent, plus seafood on Fridays and fully fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

However, I was not able to do that when preggo and just didn't do it the last two years due to being so exhausted and run down that I thought fasting in my current health state plus having a kid wasn't going to work in my favor.

Haven't decided this year if I'm going for it.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

A common thing for me to give up for Lent is soft drinks...but like someone else mentioned, our priest encourages us to give something, not give up something. But yeah, I will probably give up soft drinks again this year. I tried pulling the "I'm giving up sex for Lent card" last year...dh didn't allow it. I would say I would give up chocolate because that would be a HUGE sacrifice for me...but I would fail and I don't want to be a failure!!!

• BellaBefanaBellaBefana

ROFL

I try to give up something, good Catholic. Girl that I am, just never very successful, bad, sinful Catholic girl that I am
    ;)
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    This year, I plan on giving up for Lent.
    I'm still undecided.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• kittenkitty00

In this case can i give up laundry and dishes.
  • Cocopuff99Cocopuff99
    Only a few more days for Lent. Has anyone stayed true to themselves by keeping their promise to God?

At least I can say that I have been true in not eating Kit Kats. I have a serious addiction to them.
    It only takes one NEGATIVE comment to kill a dream. REMEMBER that next time.