NO!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    DS2's favorite word is NO and it is starting to get VERY old! He will say no to everything!!! I will ask him to do something, his reply "no." with a smug little look on his face. I know he is just testing how far he can go...but something has got to give! Is there any way to wipe this word from his vocabulary?!?! lol Also, his new word is "huh." We will tell him something and he will say "huh?" so we say it again, "huh?" we don't say anything and then he repeats what we just said. Ugh. He is a pretty good kid for the most part, but I really can't stand being told NO over and over again. Any advice? Also, I've seen other mommies on here talk about how age 3 is worse...and I dread it. agh! I just feel like it's my fault it he becomes a monster, ya know?? But I'm pretty sure he doesn't act like this at daycare at all. They always say how good and smart he is. Ok, enough...any brainwashing techniques to wipe out particular words from little toddlers heads?!?! :P
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    Love little ones my 4dd still does this. I creep to her eye level and explain to her how I don't like when she says that and to please do what I have asked you. Most times it works other times she earns herself a nice timeout :-) hopefully your ds will grow out of it with patience.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I've tried getting down to his level and ask him to please stop saying that...his reply "no!" lol It's just frustrating! I don't want him to be a little brat, ya know? I guess I just need to realize that it's completely normal and he will eventually outgrow it!
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    Try the taste of your own medicine cure.  If you think he's old enough to understand, reply to his every request with either a "no" or a "huh." 

"Can I have some milk?"
    "no."
    "Can I watch Diego?"
    "Huh?"

Etc.  You shouldn't have to do it for long.  When he gets frustrated with you, get down on his level and say, "That's what you do to me.  I don't like it when you don't listen and say no to me.  Do you like it when I say no to you?  Then try harder to listen to mommy and answer.  Okay?" Followed by a big hug and an "I love you." 
    I agree with op. :-) sometimes a taste of your own medicine can work. But he is 2 he's at the see what he can get away with stage. Always hard standing firm with lo's there super stubborn.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

@LiquidPeppermint I will need to try that...I'm pretty sure he would get pissed when I tell him NO! lol Hopefully he will understand soon!!

@kittykisses80 timeout is another story...we haven't had to do it until recently...he is usually too upset to sit there and by that point too worked up to listen to us explain to him what he has to stay still! How do you introduce timeout and get them to understand?? He knows timeout is for being bad (a kid at daycare is always in timeout) but at home, ds just doesn't co-operate!

• TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    My DS5 did this for about 2 days. I snapped about the fourth time he said "no". I thumped his bottom lip. It didn't hurt him, but it did shock him, and he stopped soon after. I'm all about my kids respecting me and my role as their mother, and they don't get to tell me no.lol
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
    For me i explain as i put them in timeout,eye level.why they are in timeout and i set the timer. I than explain that when he timer dings. I will come get them and will talk about why they were in timeout. However if they leave, whine,throw fit. They must redo there timeout. My kids are super stink butts and generally takes them a bit before they get it.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

@TheMomFactor AMEN!!!! That's what bothers me the most...he thinks he runs the show! I need to put him in his place! lol

@kittykisses80 I will have to try the timer thing! He responds well to the timer when using the potty much better than us telling him to go, so maybe that will help things click!

• shate98shate98
    DS2.5 started doing this "no" thing. I gave up quick. If I tell him to do something and he says "no" he goes in time out. Mom is the boss. And I tell him that. I'm the boss, not you. Don't like the rules? you can change them when you're the parent.

His new thing is when I say "no" to him. "Mommy, when you say no, you make me sad." (giving his best toddler pout face). Where do they learn this stuff???
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @shate98 I wonder the same thing?! Where do they learn this stuff?? Like where did he learn "huh?"...I'm blaming those bad kids at daycare for corrupting my sweet little boy! LOL ;)
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    My DD(20mos)'s most used word is "hi".  She uses it over and over again when she wants us to look at her.  It can get very tiring some days.  But I'm glad she doesn't use "no" any more than she says or nods "yes".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • beambeam
    What about asking more choice questions? This or that?
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • shate98shate98
    @SaraMommy I blame the kids at daycare too!
  • shate98shate98
    DS's other new word is "hm!" said ver yshort with a slight head nod in lieu of "yes". He thinks he's the little prince. I keep telling him "hm" is not an answer.
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    I was reading a parenting book last night and they mentioned this specific phase- according to the book the child often doesn't know what it is that they are saying "no" to- that it is just their favorite word at the moment and based on your reaction they may just continue saying it just to get a rise out of you.
    The suggestion was to limit your "yes/no" questions to actual choices you are offering them, and for the "non-negotiable" questions (ie - time to take a bath) you try to ignore it and move on.

Disclaimer: it's just a book so who knows how practical the suggestion is- and my son is only 1 yo and doesn't speak yet, so I have no real experience here.
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • 456Imamom
    DS2 went through the huh and NO phase recently... he picked up huh for DH.... DH didn't believe me until I busted him for replying to me with Huh. Ugh! 
    What I did with BOTH of them was try to word questions so they were choices A, B or C. If I t had to be Yes/No question, then I insisted that I get a proper Yes before (either of them) got it.... I specifically used it on things I knew DS would want. Like a cookies for dessert, or more milk at dinner, etc. If he said no, then I said ok! I also tried to offer him Y/N questions that he would WANT to say yes to. So when he said NO, he lost out. He stopped pretty quickly (took a week or so). As for using NO when he doesn't want to do something (get dressed, diaper change, etc) If he is in a reasonable mood, I try to briefly explain why. Otherwise I just tell him he doesn't have a choice.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @beachmommy that is a good idea...the options may work better because he likes doing things on his own, so that could be a win-win. He gets some control while I maintain sanity.

@456Imamom I need to pay attention to dh and I to see if we say huh...I don't think so but who knows! Glad you trained your dh and D's together! Huh gets annoying!