Losing weight while breastfeeding
  • SassySassy
    At seven months postpartum I am down 27lbs. I have four pounds until I hit my pre-pregnancy weight, which is great. 

When I got pregnant I was working at a call center in a VERY sedentary job. I want to get back to my pre- call center weight which was 130 which means I have another 22lbs to lose. To look at me you wouldn't know and I get knocked for wanting to lose that weight all the time. 

Anyway, as the title states I am breastfeeding my little man and I don't want to stop any time soon (he is only 7 months old.) 

I am STARVING all the time. ALL the time! I try to eat healthy foods and get exercise (never happens anymore.) The main problem I have is that I don't know how much I should be eating! The information I can find is conflicting and I don't know how much I would be eating if I weren't breastfeeding and I was trying to lose weight.

So if anybody could help me out with the numbers I would greatly appreciate it. :) 

I am 5'4" and currently 152lbs. 

Thanks in Advance!
  • CrashCrash
    I think for breastfeeding you need to add 400 calories to your base line. So if you need 1600 calories to maintain, you need 2000 calories to support nursing your child, and not drop below 1600 to 1800 caloric intake. 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • SassySassy
    Thank you miss!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight while breastfeeding. If you eat healthy for the most part and you exercise (even just taking stairs instead of elevator, etc) when possible, you can worry about the numbers after you are done bf'ing. I was always hungry while bf'ing too...just eat more filling things and drink lots. (water, that is. lol) :)

• SassySassy
    @SaraMommy I keep trying to tell myself that, but I think that I'll FEEL better with less weight on me.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @Sassy I'm sure you would! Wouldn't we all?!?! :)
  • momma2A
    You can do it! Im same height as you and was 140 when I got pregnant and I'm down to 130 now without any exercise really.

Just try to eat healthy snacks and have them easily accessible. I find if I can have fruit or veggies ready to eat ill pick them over junk but only if theyre ready to eat.

I know what it's like to be back to normal weight but want a little more. I'm comfortable now but would like to be toned now.
  • SassySassy
    @momma2A thanks! :) 
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    Thats a good question.....
    When I was bf.....(years ago) the ped for my skids told me... "when baby eats, you eat. Drink a glass of water/milk and have a snack". Now we all know as the tit mice get bigger....that's impossible to do, but it's probably a good idea to try out. 
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • SassySassy
    @SchweddyBalls that is a good idea! What sucks is that I never seem to have a glass of water near when goob is hungry and he is an instant gratification kind of baby lol
    Right??????  I didn't always plan it out either......who am I kidding???? The first nights home I "might" have had shit on hand.....lol
    I usually grabbed a bottled water and drank right after.....my favorite bf snack consisted of a hand full of pretzels and an apple.....of course regular meals too.....but like I said, eventually the lil crumb snatchers figure out how yummy pretzels are!!!!!!
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • SassySassy
    @SchweddyBalls LOL! Right now I'm on the "if I wouldn't feed it to my 7 month old I don't eat it" diet. So LOTS of fruit/veggies and oatmeal, brown rice and chicken. Some eggs. No milk. It is HARD but it might help....
  • beambeam
    Bfing may burn calories but geez it makes one hungry. Drink lots of water and skip breakfast (mini-fasting) - is a way to cut calories without changing healthy diet. And walk.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
    The peds favorite snack suggestion " dry turkey half sandwhich on whole wheat during the midnight feeding "......sounds YUMMY, not!!!!!!!
  • SassySassy
    @SchweddyBalls No mayo?! WTH? I do grapes and raw broccoli.... carrots....yogurt if I can get it. 
  • SasafrasSasafras
    Oatmeal, or malt o'meal is a great way to stay fuller longer, great for dieting too
  • BugsMomma
    oatmeal will also help increase your milk supply. i ate that after dd was born without knowing it was a galactalogue (sp?) but it did help me stay fuller for longer-stomach not boobs. dd is 15 months now and i'm at my pre-prego weight by 5 lbs (thank god!) but like you i want to lose another 25. and since i'm a bank teller, i literally sit on my ass all day. at work i try not to drink any soft drinks and stick with water and we still do on demand nursing when we're together. when eating actual meals, use a smaller plate so it looks like you're eating a lot of food when you aren't. also when you go to bed at night, grab a giant glass of ice water and when you get up (whether for the baby or your bladder) chug a bunch of it. dd and i co-sleep so the night time water for me was easy.
  • junglezoo
    My dd is 10mths old now and I still have 10lbs to go to get to my prepregnancy weight. I'm 5'10 and was 162 before and currently 172. Like everyone else I also want to lose a bit more...would like to get down to 155ish. My issue is I can't stop eating crap....have cravings for chocolate all the time. Any ideas would help. So not happy with myself and lack of willpower. :((
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • SassySassy
    @junglezoo The ONLY thing that has helped me not eat crap is to NOT have it in the house AT ALL. 
  • junglezoo
    True enough right?
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....