So much on your plate? How do you unwind?
  • irishlassirishlass
    I have alot going on right now in my life. I *think* I have found a bit of a balance, and its mostly all positive. So the negative things dont seem like such a big deal, because I have all these good things too. 
    I am a bit worried though, I feel like i am spinning so many plates that if one more gets thrown at me, i am going to drop them all! 

I was wondering, for those of you who have had a similar experience, how do you cope when you get one more thing thrown at you? How do you keep the balance and not fall over!?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • BettyboBettybo
    MARIJUANA.

that is all.
    Harry Ray - 10th June 2013 <3<br />
    We all got old at breakneck speed, slow it down - go easy on me...
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Meditation (seriously, I do the "SA TA NA MA" meditation anytime I'm stressed and it focuses me on nothing, which is a nice 'break'), and for my own sanity I've come into a habit of getting up a good hour or two before everyone else in the house does, it's so worth it to me!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    This will probably sound goofy and cliche, especially to anyone who doesn't believe like I do (which is perfectly fine! To each her own, you know?), but I pray. It helps to know that there is a bigger power in control, and He's the one spinning plates, not me. And sometimes it helps me to talk to my dad. Sure, he's dead, but I can still hear the advice he would give me if he were still here. :) I also read, or cook and clean excessively. Really, anything to keep myself going so I don't panic and drop it all by accident. :D
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • rockmomrockmom
    I have the same feeling, @irishlass. I get through be taking a lot of breaks and living by my mother's mantra "This too shall pass".

Sorry I don't have better advice than that, but I manage to accomplish everything I need to and keep the overwhelmed feeling below the surface most days! :)
    tripp175a
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Hahaha my immediate thought was what @horacesmum said but I know your feelings on that.

I know what it's like to constantly have 7 million things you have to keep up at the same time and the best way I manage my stress is to prioritise. I don't freak over housework because it doesn't matter. My nana used to say that the mess will still be there in 100 years, it'll just be somebody else's, so cleaning totally takes a back seat. Another thing I do is completely shut off my brain after 10pm. There's nothing you can do about anything at that time of night. Making chronological lists of what has to be done. Meditate. Make time to exercise. Eat healthy. Sleep.
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Plus, if one more plate does get thrown at you, you'll deal with it cause that's what you do. Don't spend so much time worrying about the future that you can't enjoy the present. Just be happy you have such a fulfilling life right now :) it will inevitably change but the right now is all you can control.
  • missmama5missmama5
    Mines going to sound silly too but....I'm the queen of calm. I very, very rarely get overwhelmed and I think it's just because I don't think about it. I just do it, and I bust through it, and at the end I'm like nice! I kicked ass! My husband and I are each others Yang. He is a spaz case, has no coping skills whatsoever, and I'm the brick wall. It's just the way I've always been, take it in stride etc. but when I do need to just take a minute & find some kind of center in the chaos, I clean. I find that when I have control over something big, even if it's just having no pending chores, it helps me to feel in control of everything else too.
    Or wine. Wine is good.
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Oddly enough for me a workout or exercise does wonders. I freaking hate to exercise. But when I'm stressed to the max a good sweat really helps calm me down.

I have a beer or two at night to relax. I understand not everyone will have a drink with kids in the house, but its one of my unwinding tools.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GritsGrits
    When my world goes crazy, like it did last week, I have to find some quiet time. Just me, no one else. Even if that means a trip to the grocery alone, then so be it.

I also smoke pot, so there's always that. :D
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    I constantly feel like if one more thing gets thrown my way, I will finally lose it. But, the shit keeps coming & I'm still here chugging along. Like @littletalks said, you just deal with it as it comes.

I have someone I can talk to about anything & everything. That helps a lot. When the world is spinning too fast, just going for a walk & focusing on absolutely nothing but nature calms my nerves & slows my brain down so I can tackle the next challenge with a clear head. After the kids go to bed, it is my quiet time and I just relax. Shut everything off, do some deep breathing exercises, read, etc. Definitely prioritize! Decide what is the most important & what won't make a difference in a few weeks/months & direct your energy to the appropriate things. We are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

One of my favorite sayings: Have you ever pushed yourself to your limit? Then how do you know you have one?
  • KiinuKiinu
    Yell at people who aren't there. in the car or in the mirror are my favorite places. I rant and rave about what they're doing to piss me off and sometimes I cry while I do it, but I feel 8000 times better after I bitch someone out, even though there's nobody there.

Maaaybe I've just shown that I need meds lol. but honestly it works really well and it doens't hurt anybody for me to do it. I've even ranted at DH while he's sleeping just so I was bitching at a person.
  • mamaofboysmamaofboys
    Chaos? What's that?? You mean that feeling that I'm not going to have any hair by the end of the day because I'm going to pull it all out? I have found that stopping what I'm doing, closing my eyes, and taking a few deep breaths gives me a chance to stop and focus on what I need to get done. My new favorite saying is "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why they call it the present." Take one day at a time and focus on what you need to do today. Like others have said, prioritize things in your life that mean the most and let the little things slide.

Meds have worked wonders for me recently and in the past. Plus smoking a little pot at night seems to help. ;)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present.
  • MomaFive
    I like what @Kiinu said : rant and bitch at ppl who aren't there but are causing your stress

I mumbled outloud about the topic and my DH laughed, "um hun, you NEVER relax"
    I have super low blood pressure, my usual line is "if i didn't have stress I would die", but to be honest if I didn't have stress I'd likely have to take meds to raise my bloodpressure to a normal level (even my doc said so). 

I really don't know what works, lately with the chaos in my house I've just stopped and looked at shit going on in the world. (1) my dad had a heart attack the week before Christmas (2) the day after dad's heart attack was the horrible shooting at that elementary school in the US (3) a friend of mine's hubbub died last yr to cancer (4) 2 ppl prominent in my life have killed themselves in the last yr ...... I know there's more & I realize that other people go through way more shit than I am. But I have found that focusing on the NOW and realizing that the past has put me here is my main help. My babies (all soon to be 5 of them) are my world. I just keep in mind that I have to keep stepping forward or I will get lost in the past. 
  • MomaFive
    chaosmom said:

One of my favorite sayings: Have you ever pushed yourself to your limit? Then how do you know you have one?

Omg I absolutely love that... can I borrow it? :) Such a great mantra, I know my teen DD would find the comfort in that as well.
  • Lakegirl34
    Sometimes all I can get is 5 or 10 minutes in the car by myself so I'll use that time to just sit with my eyes closed and breathe. I also journal, make lists, go for a walk, and my biggest escape is going to the lake and swimming and boating. Sometimes even that's a chore though with packing and getting everything ready!
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Super clichéd...and from WWII...but I have this hanging up in our house:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Especially while I was still teaching and juggling a million things, I would just stare at the poster and zone out for a few moments. If nothing else, I got a few moments that mind wasn't going a million miles a minute.

I'm also a firm believer in not worrying about what you can't control. You do your best, and if it's out of your hands you can't worry about it anymore.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • eappleeapple
    Meditate! Seriously if you're feeling overwhelmed just taking 5 minutes to focus on your breath and nothing else will do wonders for you. There's a quote I saw on fb, some thing like "every person should meditate for at least 20 min a day. Unless you are very busy, stressed, or overwhelmed. In that case you should meditate for an hour"

Dance crazy for an entire song. You'll just feel happier.

Pet your kitty.

Sing hakuna matata at the top of your lungs.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    I wish pot worked for me , after many years I still love the smell just don't get high no mo. So I sneak away for a clandestine meal , alone savor the flavor ex cuppa joe ahhhhhhh me time
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Xanax
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • MollyGrahamMollyGraham
    I hope this doesn't sound trite, but music. I seriously have different playlists for different types of horrible days. Sometimes it's sad songs when I just need to bawl my brains out for an hour or so. When I feel like bitch slapping the whole world, it's heavy metal and hard rock.Everyone who knows me, knows to back the hell off if they hear Metallica coming out of my room. I also have a list for making me get off my ass and get something, anything, done. Hell, my music even helped me survive my DH's family reunion/camping trip without resorting to homicide.
    Normal people never change the world.
  • Manders15Manders15
    Like the above poster, sometimes I just pick some music and frigging blast it!  Also reading a good book with a cup of tea (or wine depending), venting to SO or my IRL BFF.  It's just good to try and take time for yourself here and there, even just for 10 minutes if that's all you can spare one day to clear your mind a bit.
  • TerraTerra
    I do something creative.  I enjoy making cold process soap, so if time allows and someone can take the baby for an hour or two I'll whip up a batch.  Either that or I'll sew something, or make a nice meal.

Creativity helps me to focus and find my center again.
  • KrabbyKay
    Get trashed!! Woo HOO!! Have a few more mimosas!! (HAHAHAHA I first typed "momosas" I think I'm calling them that from now on!!!)

I may really regret this at 6 am.
  • irishlassirishlass
    Wow thanks for all the advice!!
    I do yoga which is great, but I am out every evening during the week from at least 6.30 until bedtime, so chilling out in the evening isn't an option!
    I do make lists and find cooking to be really relaxing, and shopping. I think I will try meditating :)
    Yeah, smoking pot isn't my thing. Mind altering anything freaks me out cause I have seen people seriously lose their grip on reality and be in hospital for 6months because of smoking pot. I also don't drink! The recovery for me just isn't worth it!

I also like to tell myself "don't worry about things that haven't happened yet". I just think right now I should prepare!
    I like the limit one @chaosmom! Only I have been pushed to my limit, and it was ugly! I am trying to push my limit more and more now, I'm in unchartered territory with all these plates! Lol

I think it is so important to find time to exercise. It feels like such a chore but it really does boost me. And I need to remember that!

I wasn't going to say all the things I'm juggling, but maybe someone has some advice?; I have a lump in my breast that's being checked 'urgently', I'm working my ass off with twins 3days a week in the afternoon and 5boys under7 every evening, putting them all to bed. I'm missing my baby boys bedtime! B is still struggling in school socially. He got told off and put outside the classroom for being obnoxiously noisy yesterday. My grannie died about 2 weeks ago, my mum is really struggling with that. My sister is obsessing over her bf and she's only been going out with him for like 3months and they are talking about getting married and having kids. I'm trying so hard to save for florida and worrying about prices going up etc. My oldest sis is having a midlife crisis, she can't handle my grannie's death and is freaking out. My degree has started up again and I'm not sure where I'm going to fit it in, as the only free time I have through the week is a couple of hours on a monday and thursday mornings. I joined the gym and I'm putting pressure onmyself to go! My dad spent the weeekend in hospital because of his heart and didn't tell anyone. I'm trusting ex with b while I'm at work. My friend has just given birth and this morning, in a couple of hours, her baby is going into care. Another friend is about to have a case conference about her little girl. I know them SO well and I am praying that she gets away from her mother. B's black eye hasn't gone down and it looks like I am beating him! I am trying to come off my medication. The house is being neglected, my skin is getting really dry and my stomach is going nutso.

I know people have it A LOT worse than me, and I am so appreciating everything I have and that a lot of this is positive, but it just feels like lots of things to keep in my head! And my weeks are crazy busy!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • irishlassirishlass
    Oh and I keep forgetting about the little things, like getting the bins out to be collected and feeding the cat. So I feel shit! Poor cat like. I'm glad she is a whingy little witch, otherwise she would be actually starving!