Electing c section
  • Sultry
    I'm the barer of bad news. Have a c section won't spare you from having to buy poise. :(

Do your kegels. It's the only way.

Sorry Hun!
  • Lakegirl34
    Amen sister!
  • Katescrazymom
    Yep, and I noticed more of a difference in the way sex felt after my csection (my oldest), then after pushing 8lbs14oz out. Go figure.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Even keigels don't counteract the effect of of Foley catheters. Sorry.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Sultry
    I almost had a foleys with my 4th.

Strangely though my pelvic floor was so much better after my 4th too. I've had hardly any accidents since he was born 11 months ago.
  • Lakegirl34
    @bellabefana can you explain more about that? I do regular kegels, but if I cough or sneeze I leak sometimes, especially during this pregnancy.
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    I just read that confession and OC - if your referring to the amount of blood that you will bleed after birth, a c-section will not spare you from that either.

Still lots of bleeding. For way too long.
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • missmama5missmama5
    Birth just sucks in general, doesn't matter how you do it, that shit will fuck you up.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Are kegel weights helpful or effective?
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • Sultry
    @gingersnap what are kegel weights?

do you stuck them up your hoo-haa? :/ Sounds uncomfortable...
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Foley's are the catheter they use during surgery so you pee in the bag. They can weaken the urethra so all the keigels in the world won't strengthen that, only time and sometimes not even that, unfortunately, especially if you've had several of them.

@Sultry: I think they're talking about Ben Wa balls...they help tighten vaginal muscles.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana

I just read that confession and OC - if your referring to the amount of blood that you will bleed after birth, a c-section will not spare you from that either.

Actually that's better after a section, though I guess it depends on the OB. Most do like a mini D & C before they close so you don't bleed as much or for as long.

Still lots of bleeding. For way too long.

Bite me, cupcake!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Well, that didn't work right, my comment's embedded in the quote
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Lakegirl34
    Thanks @bellabefana. I blocked out the whole catheter part of the process!
  • Bubandsis
    ive had 2 vaginal births one c section id go with vaginal any time never want another c section it was awful
  • Sultry
    @bellabefana
    I thought Ben wa balls were sex toys.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @Sultry: they're both, I guess
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • KrabbyKay
    @BellaBefana wait are the 3 foleys AND the 2 vag births the reason I can't laugh/cough/sneeze/jump up?????? I have done enough kegels to make a person think those muscles must be rocks by now, and my pelvic floor still seems to have the consistency of a wet paper bag!!!
  • UnrestMomUnrestMom
    My first was a c-section and second was a v-bac...and I too would take the vaginal over the c-section anyday! It took weeks before I felt like I could stand and not worry about my guts spilling on the floor.
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    I also had a c/sec a vag birth and a vbac. The vbac was awesome. C/section. Was awful!
  • LifeofchaosLifeofchaos
    2 c-sections here.... One emergency, one elective. I don't piss myself and recovery was pretty easy. No regrets here
  • GrainneGrainne
    C birth here and have the weakened pee response damn it.
  • RedTiger
    Both mine were c-sections and sometimes my bladder leaks like it has a effing hole in it. That's on top of pissing myself everytime I sneeze/cough. I didn't know the catheters caused that I always thought it was the 9+ lb babies on top of my bladder kicking it to death. Lol.
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    when i put the kids down for the night i go pee, every night. then i do dozens of kegels and make my self stop and start peeing. i dont know if its making it worse but sex is reeeeeally good now lol
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • TottyCake
    I had 2 c-sections, one emergency and the other was elective. Even if I wanted to do a vbac I couldn't because I had to have important surgery so they were gong to get it all out at once. I do very rarely have issues with a weakened vag floor. However every once in a while if I sneeze, cough, fart, or even puke sometimes I'll leak. Oftentimes it's a little bit but a few times there's a lot. What helps me keep it in is when I'm standing I'll cross my legs at the knee and squeeze my thighs together as tight as I can. It doesn't work every time but it's worth trying just to keep your panties dry!
  • LilukiLiluki
    I had two c sections. Last one was nearly 3 years ago. I still can't feel the skin on my belly above my scar up to my navel... Did anyone else get that?

I don't have any leaking problems unless I sneeze or cough with a full bladder.

If I had my time over again I'd definitely risk a natural birth. C section recovery sucks!
    “If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    @Notleppop I was told that numbness will never go away.  I still have it too nearly 2 years later.  It's a gross feeling, mostly just when I actually touch the area.  

I also still have problems with my scar, but either it was low or my hair line is high, because I get fucking ingrown hairs in it, and it hurts like hell.

I noticed my periods were 100 times heavier when they came back, I assumed because my cervix was still fully dilated, it was an emergency c-section.

My incision site gave me problems for months after birth, and it was all pretty horrible, so I would never recommend it.  If I decide to have another, I'm going to hope I can have a vbac.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • LifeofchaosLifeofchaos
    Oooo I just remembered after my 1st c-section, I bled 2 months straight. Ended up having a D&C. That totally sucked
  • GritsGrits
    No c-section here, but catheterized 3 damn times. And that shit was horrible. Now, I have very little control. I go pee every 30 minutes to an hour, especially if I'm sick, just to drain my bladder and hopefully avoid those little accidents. If I have some sort of stomach crud, I have to sit on the toilet and puke in the trash can or I will pee everywhere. Heaven forbid I have some sort of respiratory funk that makes me cough a lot. It totally sucks ass.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • KiinuKiinu
    I literally cannot imagine having a vaginal birth, DS never dropped, I never dialated, I had one bout of false labor but it passed before I got to the point that I felt like I should do something about it. I had braxton hicks contractions for my whole ninth month, but they never did anything. I had a planned C-section at 41weeks.

I honestly loved my c-section and would do it again. I was up and walking around a country fair 10 days PP with DS in a sling and I felt fine. I BF'd with no abnormal troubles. I don't have pee problems but if they come from the cath, I had it in less than 12 hours because it felt awful. I am numb on the scar like @Notleppop and @RuralRebellion but I have the same kind of numbness on a nasty scar I got from a work accident too.
  • momtomany74
    Notleppop said:

I had two c sections. Last one was nearly 3 years ago. I still can't feel the skin on my belly above my scar up to my navel... Did anyone else get that?

I don't have any leaking problems unless I sneeze or cough with a full bladder.

If I had my time over again I'd definitely risk a natural birth. C section recovery sucks!

Me too! I take it you had a vertical incision as well?

I thought my OBGYN that I had when I had my baby last year was the last doctor on this planet that still did those.
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    I had an emergency c-section. No issues here at all. Mine was at midnight and I was walking around at 8 am. I don't leak, my scar is fine, and I had the usual amount of post-pardum bleeding. I wouldn't elect to have one, but it worked out well for me. 

community-manager

• CrashCrash
    I had a catheter all three times and no c-section. I don't leak unless I jump on the trampoline. (Take note, daughters.....that freedom to jump for half an hour goes away after you breed...lol.) And I bled for 2 months, which wasn't all that great considering the reason for the cath was hemorrhaging. Gah.

Birth sucks all around. And even if it's planned....the most unexpected will happen.

The baby is really the only good part.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • 456Imamom
    @momtomany74 OBs try to avoid vertical incisions because it weakens the uterus muscles. They end up doing them when it's an emergency and they need to get the baby out ASAP. If you get a T incision, then they don't let you go for a VBAC after because the risk of uterine rupture is too high.  
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @Krabbykay: yep. I've had 6 laparoscopic surgeries for endo/ovarian cysts, an apply, and a c-section. All with foley's, I can't even pee anymore without having the drips for a bit, forget laughing, sneezing, or coughing!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • essgirl
    Ive had 3 c sections and numerous surgeries. So far (I just turned 40) I've had no leakage problems and can still jump on the kids trampoline with no problems.
    I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm adding Depends to my shopping list :((
  • pinksockspinksocks
    I've had 3 c-sections and my vagina and pee hole have (sp?) never been better. I thank the Lord everyday for my c-sections. It was so super nice to have them scheduled and to be able to stay in the hospital for days being pampered.
    Don't Forget To Smile!!!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

2 c-sections here.... One emergency, one elective. I don't piss myself and recovery was pretty easy. No regrets here

I had my DS2 via c-section and I don't leak and recovery was pretty smooth sailing! I am planning another scheduled c-section when baby #2 comes along. It sounds like this is something that varies between women, just like everything else in life! :)
  • somanyboysandmesomanyboysandme
    I had my last child by emergency c section. I was completely dilated and he was breech when I got to the hospital. It was absolutely fucking horrible. I didn't bleed as much as I did with the vaginal deliveries, but that was the only benefit. The pain afterwards was excruciating and I was so miserable. I would NEVER suggest an elective c section, but that's just my opinion.
  • LilukiLiluki
    @momtomany74 no I had both horizontal incisions. I didn't think they did the vertical ones either? You had bub last week? I hope you are recovering well!

@RuralRebellion I didn't get the chance to go into labour. My periods have never been the same. With the last one my post partum didn't stop for nearly 4 months! And I managed to rip my external stitches open. Not fun at all!

“If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • LLBLLB
    I'm confused... Was this in response to a confession? What was the confession?
  • LargeMargeSentMe
    But the really good news is that age and gravity apparently mess with your girlybits even if you don't have a kid. At least you're getting a baby to show for it!
  • BeachyBeachy
    I had 2 c's, both as commanded by my ob,
    1st baby looked like she was 12 lbs on the last us, so yes please! The 2 nd I don't get an option, he just assumed she would be big too, but she was a paltry 6 lbs and so tiny I could've pushed her out in a rice field and kept going.
    I didn't have Any complications with either and was up and walking around hours after. And I don't leak! Yet! Haha
    BUT I feel totally gypped that I didn't get to birth a baby. Which might sound cray cray to some people, but I feel missed out on a huge life experience.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • Sultry
    @LLB

Yes, the OC said she wanted to elect a c section because of all the horror stories about having wear poise.
  • LLBLLB
    Ah okay, I wasn't sure if it was pp bleeding or urine leakage as both were brought up here.

I had a vaginal twin birth and was cathed after their birth. I was also cathed for another surgery I had.

My bladder control is just fine!

I've had a few accidents during this pregnancy but it has nothing to do with my vaginal birth! It is the fact that there is a small human pushing up against my bladder!
  • GoddessGoddess
    My kid will be nine in may.  I still have the numb skin b/t scar and belly button.  And I pee when I sneeze.  Sometimes cough, fart...
  • missmama5missmama5
    I guess I got lucky with the numb skin thing. Or maybe I don't notice it? It has been 6 years since my cesarean. Hmmmm. Could be all the goddamn god awful crunches & sit ups and bicycle kicks I forced upon myself in the quest for a flat stomach. After that shit there's no numbness anywhere. Every fucking thing hurts, lol.
  • GoddessGoddess

@missmama5 (I totally just tried to type "atmissmama5) jeesh. 

Anywho... it's not the muscle that is numb.  It's the skin.  I can't feel a needle poking it.  Sometimes it itches like a fucking MOFO and I could scratch all day long, but since I can't "feel" the scratching, it doesn't do any good.

• missmama5missmama5
    @goddess oh Ewww, weird! I remember that from when I first had the surgery but it doesn't bug me now!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    You get the numbness because they're going through muscles and nerves in your belly to get to the baby. It's normal. Sometimes it lasts longer than others, and some may get more scar tissue and or adhesions (internal scar tissue basically) and they don't have nerve endings. Thus the numbness. If you notice, any scar you have will be numb to a certain degree.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • wonderwomanx3
    I refused to touch my scar with my bare hands for years. I had the exact same feeling as @Goddess - the skin itself had no feeling. I tried running my fingers over my scar & I could feel it with my fingers but I couldn't feel my fingers on the skin on my stomach. Weird.