Children with Dietary Intolerances
  • LoveLove
    Caligirl  -->  Anyone's kiddo been diagnosed with SID and gluten and lactose intolerance? At this rate, I feel like Im feeding a hamster :-/

@Caligirl I don't have any experience with this, but I know there are a lot of moms here with children who have special dietary needs. I hope you find the advice and support you seek!

community-manager

• VegantasticVegantastic

I'm not familiar with SID and we don't have gluten issues here BUT I have lots of dairy-free recipes if you need them. Let me know what kinds of things you're looking for.

@Gingersnap does gluten-free at her house, so she might be more helpful

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • CrashCrash
    Instead of thinking of all the things your child can't eat, focus on what he *can*...and while gluten and dairy free sounds and feels restraining, there are still whole food groups that are safe. It also depends on if the child is already picky with texture, smell, taste, temperature, which I assume, with SID, probably comes into play as well.

Meat: chicken, steak, pork, eggs, bacon, gluten free sausage...
    All vegetables.
    All fruits.
    (For a while, I had my autistic son on a gf/cf diet....we had a lot of bacon and scrambled egg meals when I couldn't think of what else to have!)

The world in general is becoming much more accommodating of gluten intolerance, so you'll find whole aisles in your big name stores with gluten free cookies, flour, pasta, etc.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    Gluten free, dairy free here. Also no tree nuts, peanuts, and shellfish. Plenty of options and most nights our family meal is safe for every one. I'm happy to help in any way!
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    What is SID?
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    We're gluten-free and all main meals are dairy-free as well. @CaliGirl I'll be happy to help you explore your options.

Heads up: you're going to find recipes all over the place that people swear are awesome. Some you will like. Some you will not. Personal taste and texture preferences differ.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    @katz_meow sensory intergration disorder

we are coconut free and us adults are dairy free...

how does sensory play into the food?
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • boring_nameboring_name
    my DD is Lactose intolerant and allergic to milk.. also soy intolerance... she can handle small amounts of soy but is going dairy free right now (she's 20)... hard at school though.. the college doesn't do a great job at keeping the ingredient/nutrition information available or updated in the food services. 
    B
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I've never heard of that. Thank you @meandmy243. Mr. google here I come.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • Caligirl

Thx so much for all your responses.  I really appreciate it as I am at my wits end.

So, she's has food intolerances and, in addition, has sensory issues, meaning she will throw up "offensive foods".  And by offensive, I mean a variety of things that would be considered a typical diet.  Its a chicken and egg sort of thing as I imagine some foods are associated with discomfort, whether GI or sensory, and they get rejected.

The issue I'm having is with protein.  Due to sensory issues she refuses any chicken, fish, meat, tofu, soy products.  She will take kefir (lots of sugar=stomach ache) or greek yogurt (lactose issues).  I've tried unflavored protein powder but she can actually detect the granules, no matter what I put them in. 

We have gone to occupational therapy for nearly a year in an effort to make food "fun" and nonthreatening, as odd as that sounds.  Not much help.  Nutritionists are typically not familiar w/ the sensory end of it.

We are undergoing a series of tests at a GI clinic and I'm hoping maybe something will show up.  In the interim, I'm going crazy.  Though I am encouraged by the doctors at the children's hospital- they think there is truly an underlying issue (gee, you think?) rather than my dismissive pediatrician.

Despite efforts to make meal times non-contentious, she's got an older brother who feels that her special diet is unfair and calls attention to it.  Seems to be setting her up for disordered eating.  Maybe counseling is in order.  For me LOL.

Anyway, more of a vent than anything.  @Gingersnap and @SAHM1020, thanks for the offer.  Its truly appreciated.  I think all a parent wants is to provide a whole and healthy diet for their little ones- not nuts and berries :-/

• Caligirl
    Thx also @shouldclean. That's a handful you're dealing with as well. :-)
  • boring_nameboring_name
    @Caligirl can she tolerate beans? or Peanut butter? as alternative sources of protein... texture plays a huge part in my eating and DS's but for different reasons..
    B
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @CaliGirl - my eldest son eats a lot of nuts and nut butters. He can't stand the textures of most meats, unless they are ground. If they are ground and seasoned, he will eat some. I don't restrict the entire family to suit the sensory issues, but we have to have the house gluten-free.

We have seen progress in his ability to eat more textures. This seems connected to his exposure and tolerance of items he touches.

Scrambled eggs are out of the question for my kid, too. Heck, he might gag if he touches them.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • pennypenny
    @CaliGirl I have some friends whose little boy is lactose intolerant with neurological manifestations. They have started making their own yogurt by adding enzyme tablets to milk and using a yogurt machine. Their homemade Greek-style yogurt is amazing and lactose free!
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    @ Caligirl how old is your daughter? If she can eat dairy, what is wrong with cheese? How about sandwich meat or pepperonis. Then you have nuts and beans. Perhaps tofu or edamame?

• CrashCrash
    @caligirl Can you ask for a referral to an eating clinic? There are clinics that specialize in children's eating disorders. I'll assume you're in california. (I suppose your name could refer to cauliflower, but I'll go with california anyway....:P)

These people are educated in the sensory part of an eating disorder and would be able to provide therapy that will increase the range of what your daughter can eat. You aren't alone! 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • KiinuKiinu
    Eating clinics helped my brother.

As for our home, DH is Gluten Free and Lactose intolerant. DS can't handle Milk protenn so we are entirely dairy free for him, for awhile he was Fructose free. DS has an undiagnosed eating disorder of sorts.

We actually have him on Elecare, which is a nutritionally sound amino acid based formula to add the calories/protein he needs and can't seem to get. It's vanilla flavored and he drinks it mixed with vanilla almond milk. Have you tried Soy yogurt? some of it is made without dairy protein. Trader Joes carries a strawberry flavored one that DS eats like it's going to disappear on him.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    My ds couldnt eat anything that was pureed or yogurt and puddings he would gag and throw up. finally after 18 months of therapies and freezing it and putting it in popsicle form he started being able to tolerate it... now he has trouble with stringy foods.. hes almost 7.. feeding clinics are awesome try pediasure cause you can get it otc... Elecare is perscription.
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • undercoverbanana
    Have you ever tried the silken tofu? I know people make it into dips, puddings, mousses, milkshakes, use it for cream cheese.......is it an actual allergy, or is it the texture? Does she like peanuts? If she does, she might like edamame. (steamed soybeans, with a spinkle of sea salt) I would suggest reverse psychology, you have some, and when she gets curious, tell her....i dont know. You might not like them. Etc, etc. And see how she does.
    i'm nekkid.
  • Caligirl
    Thank you ladies! Ive tried pediasure, but hadnt heard of Elecare. She hates the taste of pediasure- even the chocolate! I will ask her Dr about it.
    @undercoverbanana, i think its mostly textural with a newly diagnosed lactose and gluten intol.
    Just a challenge I guess. Thx for showing me Im not the only one dealing with such a mixed bag of feeding issues.
    I really may look into a therapist as well for her- I just dont want this to become a lifelong disorder and, of course, want to keep her healthy and strong.
    Thx so much everyone!!
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    @Caligirl how old is she? My ds5 lives on yogurt and cheese. He is allergic to wheatand dd3 is allergic to dairy. I can give you a list of gf and dairy free things that he will actually eat if you think it might help. He is weird about what he will eat.
  • Caligirl
    @shouldclean, shes 4. And very stubborn. I know kefir is typically lactose free but if your little guy has anything that works for him, Id love to hear it. Thx!!
  • Caligirl
    Sorry for the double post- stupid phone.
  • KiinuKiinu
    @meandmy243 Elecare can be bought from their website OTC, we have to do it that way until our insurance get's over themselves and agrees to cover it. It's just really effing expensive. Not all states are required to cover formula if the child is only using it as a supplement. Sometimes we can hit a good deal on Ebay or from "The Formula Guy". Though I think he is just a local good samaritan.

The formula was all I really have for a suggestion, because my kid just doesn't eat, it has nothing to do with textures he just takes one or two bites of something and is all done, even cookies. So I don't have an experience with anything else to get protein/calories in other than supplements mixed into drinks.

@Caligirl I do hope you get some good luck soon! I know it sucks when they won't eat and it just feels weird feeding them nothing.
  • Caligirl
    Thx @Kiinu!!
  • TheHeadacheslayer
    @Caligirl lots of hugs mama! My son is allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts and shellfish. His texture issues aren't with food (usually things like tags, shoes, socks, etc).

Now my daughter had some texture issues up until she was about 5--no allergies but she would NOT eat any type of beef in any form, and spaghettios came right back up every. damn. time. But then she was ok so....I don't know if that was normal or not.

Feel free to ask me anything if I can help xoxo
  • maycausedizziness
    Our daughter is an Aspie so we have the exact same issues you are having. She only eats about 9 different foods so I am constantly looking for says to sneak extra protein and fat into her diet. Feel free to pm me any time and good luck!