Playing Possum
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    I don't know where he got it. It don't know how he picked it up. But it is flat out the funniest and weirdest thing I have ever seen a kid do. B, who has recently learned to climb, likes to get on his brothers top bunk. He's 22mos old, so naturally, we discourage this behavior. He's gotten swatted and told no and had time-outs. Nothing really works. However, he doesn't *like* any of these punishments, so he's started playing dead every time he knows he's going to get in trouble. Just this morning, I caught him on his brothers top bunk and said, "(B's first and middle name, so he would know I'm serious), what do you think your doing up there?" And just like a flip being switched he flopped down onto the mattress and stopped moving. I started giggling, but he didn't move. I went over and grabbed his little ankle(to pull him towards me, as he was on the far side of the bed), and he still didn't move. I pulled him into my arms and he finally became animated, squirming and fussing. He knew he was in trouble and now he was fighting for survival. I died laughing. How could I punish such a clever little man?
    I told him it was a no-no and to stay down and made him say "yes ma'am" (I'm all about respect), then I let him go play. Not 10 minutes later, I found him digging in the bowl drawer. It's not a big deal, it's just a strainer and some mixing bowls, but I said, "EXCUSE me, mister!" He immediately hit the floor. OMG.lol I can't help but laugh! It's hilarious!

Does anyone else have a kid that does this? I know that it won't be funny for long, but him playing possum is just too cute.
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike

Have you been reading him the Scaredy Squirrel books? His philosophy is when in doubt, play dead!

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
    @fatchickonabike ....I've never hear of Scaredy Squirrel.lol We do watch the Wild Kratts, though. Maybe he watched an episode over possums.

• fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    If you get a chance, check the SS books out. They're hilarious! SS is terrified of the unknown and will play dead for up to two hours before cracking an eyelid. DD and I laugh like crazy over them.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Children are watchful creatures and learn many things , some good some bad.....My Grand walks on his knees.....Also clever also little sponges.....too cute
  • shate98shate98
    my dog does this (when in trouble or when trying to get a treat)... I wonder if my toddler is going to pick it up!
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • SpringSpring
    The little boy I used to watch did this. Same age too. Get ready though. When A realized I didn't find it funny anymore, he got really mad and then got really dramatic over doing it because he expected me to laugh, not him to get in trouble. He wasn't ready for his get out of jail free card to expire yet and it made him really mad when it did. It is really funny at first though.
    "Sometimes I question my sanity. Sometimes it replies."
    @Spring Well, B still gets into trouble.lol It's just funnier with him than with his brothers.

• LittleTalksLittleTalks
    That's hilarious, what a clever little kid. Although I'd be worried if he's smart enough to come up with this stuff before he's 2 what's he gonna be like in a few years!
    @LittleTalks Oh, yeah. Believe me, I'm very worried. He's smart as a whip and blows my mind!! He already plays "puppy", talks like crazy, can recognize letters, spell his name(I'll admit, when he started recognizing letters, I taught him this). He's a brilliant little man. You should see him when SO is trying to teach the older two Spanish. His attention is completely focused on the flash cards. I wouldn't be surprised if he's speaking it in the next year or two. He can also get out of his clothes, but that's not really a good thing.lol

Sorry, brag-fest over...he just shocks me everyday with something new.

• shouldcleanshouldclean
    Good luck! Perhaps he thinks you won't see him. My ds5 would hid only his head at that age. If he couldn't sees you than you obviously couldn't see him :)
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Brag-fests are ok ! He sounds like an amazing little kid ! My DS is learning his name , sometimes he gets it right.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • SpringSpring
    Oh that's good. Not being A's mama I let him slide a few times laughing but then he did something really dangerous and I had to put him in timeout- as per his mother's guidelines. When normally he went quietly, he flipped out because he thought I didn't do that kind of thing anymore. He thought he'd found his way out of that. Which was my bad. Your B sounds cute! :)
    "Sometimes I question my sanity. Sometimes it replies."
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Brag-fests are good, who doesn't like to brag about their kids :) he sounds super smart, I love little kids who are so curious about everything.
  • OrchidsAndTulipsOrchidsAndTulips
    Thats too cute! I'd rather have a kid play possum then a kid who plays rabbit and you can't catch them.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @OrchidsAndTulips the gone limp is easier to deal with ! I have had both . The I'm running!! Too the deer in headlights ! @-) Lol.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • forkinthehead
    That is too funny! I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face. Such a funny little guy :)
  • OrchidsAndTulipsOrchidsAndTulips
    @momofdbb We have a runner ever. Has been since the day she manage to slip away.
  • momma2A
    This is hilarious. I would have a hard time not laughing at it. My DD does some of the funniest things that I should be getting mad about but sometimes why she says or does or way he looks at me is just too funny not to laugh and then it all goes to hell. Never anything major though just minor things