organizing yarn?
  • Lulu
    I have a huge stash of yarns....all different colors, fiber, weights. How the hell do I organize them? Some I bought with projects in mind, some I bought because I liked the colors...right now they're all crammed into big storage totes in the closet. Anything I can do?
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    If you want to display them, wooden wine racks. You're probably not going to have enough space to bring it all out. Maybe organize it in the totes in separate bags by weight. and try not to buy more yarn until you use more of your stash? That's all I've got. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • Lulu
    That was my new year's resolution...don't buy until I empty at least 1 tote!
  • squishsquish
    What about those shoe holders that you hang on the back of a door. Would that possibly work? I know nothing about yarn.
  • forkinthehead
    I had seen on Pinterest a lady used cans. Soup cans etc. She decorated them attatched them together and hung them on the wall to house all of her yarn. Looked pretty darn cute.
  • shate98shate98
    hanging closet sweater organizers.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5946277_organize-knitting-yarn.html
    I don't knit but here is one sugestion. Sounds like it would work. But I have no clue !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • shate98shate98
    here's what I'm talking about:

photo on pinterest
  • WabiSabiLife
    This is a problem for crafters of all stripes: the hoarding of one's "thing", lol! Me? oh, my problem is that I switch crafts. I have more paper, fabric, rubberstamps, etc than you can shake a stick at. Maybe you could knit some holders, lol! But otherwise, I like the wine rack suggestion, and the closet sweater one. (I'd think the cans could never be big enough, or smooth enough to not snag the fibers)
  • Lulu
    @WabiSabiLife I do the same thing...I have paint palettes, scrapbooking stuff for decoupage, fabric, yarn....
  • Lulu
    I wonder if there's any way to use wall or ceiling hooks and mount one of those sweater hangers from the wall/ceiling. I don't have closet space but I have a perfectly good wall...
  • shate98shate98
    @Lulu there are different kinds of sweater hangers. The one I got from target has a wire frame in the top connected to two wire hooks that hang off of the bar. I'm sure you could rig something up.
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    I have one of those plastic set of drawers. I divided mine into warm colors, cool colors and neutrals.

Mine kinda look like this:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I have mine in the Rubbermaid plastic boxes that the lids are kind of air tight.  The reason?  I can see the yarn, but bugs, etc. can't get in.

Another suggestion for keeping it safe from bugs that like to eat fibers:  grate Irish Spring soap and put it into a cotton bag, like a sachet.  They don't like the smell of it.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • twinmommy2004
    I have mine in various tote bags.  These ideas are great!!
    the secret to happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you get