We need help fundraising for a wheelchair van!
  • writermagswritermags
    I did check with the Big Scary Mommy (aka Jill) and she said it was okay to post this link. I have a six-year-old son who has Cerebral Palsy and is severely disabled. I have started a 100% grassroots effort to raise money, but the first steps in our campaign involve spreading awareness. We need as many people as possible to hear Jaime's story, learn about Cerebral Palsy, and understand why we need a wheelchair van. I'm currently running a logo contest for kids up to 18 to design the logo for our campaign right now. I'm hoping that you will all take a look at my son's blog and/or his facebook page and help us spread the word. I'm not even set up to accept donations yet. We have to make awareness our first priority. Like I keep telling people, a tree needs to spread its roots before it can grow big and tall! So if you would like to help us, you don't even need to donate anything, just spread the word for our cause and help broaden our audience! His blog is www.thatshowherolls.wordpress.com, and his facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/ThatsHowHeRolls. Come like his page on facebook or comment on his blog and let us know you found us on Scary Mommy! Thanks everyone!! Maggie
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I can share it ! I'm broke though.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Can adults join the art contest ?
    yea I am geek !!
  • writermagswritermags
    @momofdbb, sharing the pages and spreading awareness is every bit as helpful to us as making a monetary donation! So share away! And thank you for doing that!

The logo contest is actually a second attempt, since I got NO submissions on the first try. The first try did include adults, but it didn't seem right to have children 'competing' against adults, so I figured I would make it for anyone up to age 18. But we will be doing a lot of online activities and events, including eventually a silent auction. If you are an artist of any sort and would like to donate artwork to be auctioned off, that would be great. Make sure you like his page on fb so you can see all of the activities and events, and if you have suggestions you can make them there. I don't come here very often, though I should because I enjoy it tremendously! 

Anyway, thank you for sharing, and make sure you check out the pages often so you can get involved in whatever tickles your fancy, and if there is anything you see that you think one of your friends would be interested in, pass it on!

Thanks so much!
    Maggie
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I already hit like on it. I could alawys do a bag or some kind of stencil for you !
    yea I am geek !!
  • ProudPalsyMamma
    Ok you my friend definitely need to pm me my son has cerebral palsy too! He turns 2 in February and I could definitely use some advice
  • CrashCrash
    Liked and shared, OP.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    Count me in too! :)
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • writermagswritermags
    Thank you ladies! I love your support! @proudpalsymamma, anything I can do to help I will! Sending you a PM now!
  • LilukiLiluki
    Liked and shared on my FB and also put it up on Twitter. :)
    “If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback

Hi!  Have you contacted the United Cerebral Palsy folks? They might have financial assistance available.  It's probably limited, but can help.  Where I work (MS Society), we often get people calling for help w/ an accessible vehicle.  While the total cost of such a vehicle is outside of our scope, we will often provide financial assistance to modify an existing vehicle.  UCP may have a similar program.  Here's their contact info: Phone: 800.872.5827 / 202.776.0406  

Also (and I'm only assuming you're in the US), this website is great, it's like a craigslist for used accessible vehicles, private party sales: www.disableddealer.com 

Lastly, the Digital Federal Credit Union offers really low interest loans to people with disabilities, we also refer people there to see if with the right financing, a vehicle is more affordable:  https://www.dfcufinancial.com/channelPage.aspx?tid=149  

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    no idea why all that turned white.. 
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • writermagswritermags
    @tothemoonandback, Thank you! I live in NJ and the only NJ chapter of UCP left is in the farthest north county and I live in the farthest south county! But, they put me in touch with that executive director and he has been really helpful to me so far, acting as though I was in part of his territory, which I appreciate so much. They don't offer any resources, but I will look into the other two that you mentioned. I'm not in the position to finance a vehicle right now, but the disableddealer.com link might be really useful when/if we make the money we need.

Thank you so much for your help! Very greatly appreciated!!

• writermagswritermags
    @notleppop, thank you so much for sharing! Just like a tree has to spread its roots to grow big and tall, so does our campaign! :-)
  • LilukiLiluki
    @writermags - have you contacted your local radio station and news paper?

I only ask because my Aunty was sort of in the same boat as you about 20 years ago before Internet. My cousin needed a rare life saving operation, but the only surgeon who did in op was based in England (we are in AUS).

The radio station and the paper picked it up and then it went national and it really helped.

Anyway just a thought...
    “If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • lefty63
    @writermags - is your son on Medicaid or registered with state services for the developmentally disabled? They should cover or assist with the cost of van modifcations.
  • writermagswritermags
    @notleppop, great suggestion and I think I will use it! I'll work my way up to it, though! @lefty63, my son is on medicaid and is registered with NJ's services for developmentally disabled children. Unfortunately, they have no money for anything, and in NJ, apparently now your insurance provider is responsible for home modifications. They never have and still don't provide vehicle modifications. I can't get anything from them, because every one is on waiting lists for all of their services. It's been like that for years, though, from what I've heard. I've only been battling with them for four years (they wouldn't approve my son until he was two because he couldn't have an 'official' CP diagnosis until then, even though he had been diagnosed with his brain injury at three weeks old - they had to see the words Cerebral Palsy). Jumping through hoops of fire, working with them! But thank you for your suggestions!
    Mags
  • BeachyBeachy
    What is the total cost we are looking at here?
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.