How Do I Convince Him To Go To The Hospital?
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    As many of you know... my husband is young. Only 24.

So it is NOT normal for him to have been having chest pains............ Right?

This has been going on for 6-9 months or so.
    Almost every day.

He has sharp pains in the upper right side of his chest. It travels to the left...(Around his heart)
    Occasionally it travels up to his shoulder (left), he can feel it through to his back...
    He said sometimes it starts in the center. In the sternum area also.

So, of course, I'm concerned.
    But, the stubborn ass refuses to go to the hospital to get checked out. He didn't have a primary doctor, so I just set one up for him with our new insurance. They can't get him in until March however. They said to get him to the hospital in the meantime if he is having pains.
    (DUH!...I'M TRYING!)

How the hell do I convince him to go?
    He said the $150 co-pay is too high a price to pay, but I think his fucking life is a much higher payment... & not one I'm willing to pay.

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• BeerWenchBeerWench
    Call an ambulance :D
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • laughlinlzrlaughlinlzr
    What about Urgent Care? Like a walk in clinic.
  • LLBLLB
    You know how you get a dog to go to the vet by asking if he wants to go to the park? Do that but drop his ass off at the ER instead!
    I told him I'm just gonna fucking do that if he doesn't voluntarily go @BeerWench

If this happens again tomorrow, he's going.
    I lost my best friend because he refused to go get checked out... I won't lose my OTHER best friend & love...

It could be nothing... maybe it's an ulcer... he could be having a fucking heart attack at 24.
    I'm not losing my *Damnit*
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• LLBLLB
    Sorry don't mean to make light of your husbands chest pains but men are freaking stubborn sometimes! DH will bitch and moan until the cows come home but won't actually do anything about it unless I make him!
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Urgent care... Or I like the idea about tricking him like a dog. Lol
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • KellynnKellynn
    My brother had a massive heart attack at 43. It possibly could have began that young. You don't mess around with heart problems, ever. Make him go.
  • KrabbyKay
    You could call an ambo, they'll check his vitals and put him on a 12 lead...if it's nothing I suppose he could then refuse transport.....
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    My husband has had that happen a couple times, it turned out to be stress.  He should get his butt to the drs better safe than sorry.  I say tell him you are going one place and take him to the hospital.  I am about an hour from providence if you need help we can knock him over the head and shove him in the trunk.
  • DemandaDemanda
    I know men can be fucking pigheaded, but get him there if you can!
    My dad was hospitalized last year after ignoring chest pains...my stepmom had been working out of town and my dad just went about his business, sucking up the pain. When she got home she freaked and called an ambulance. He was in the hospital a couple days. He was fine in the end, nothing major, but it was scary as hell.

An old friend lost her brother a few years ago, he was found dead in his room on a business trip. Turned out he had major heart issues that had gone unnoticed...he was one of those typical "bah! Nothing's wrong with me" men. He was in his early 30s. Too fucking young.

So yeah, it's nothing to be trifled with. Show him this thread if you need to.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Could also be gall bladder. I've had mine out and passing a gall stone is murder.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I'm for the " wanna go to the stip club ? Well get in the car ! " then go to the hospital ! " hey this isn't the stip club ! " lol.
    I had a friend who was 27 she had several heart attacks. She just felt tired and a bit sore. Better safe than sorry. ( says the last who has had chest pains before and never gone into anyone. Lol)
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Prayers for going prayers for knowledge love hugs
  • firefighters_wifefirefighters_wife
    It could be something called chostochondritis it's a bitch and when it flares up the only way to tell the difference between it and a heart attack is an EKG I've been to the er 2x over this
  • forkinthehead
    $150 is a small price to pay for peace of mind. If he is being that stubborn in not going. I don't know how you can convince him unless it's a 2x4 to his head.

Does he work out? The reason why I am asking is that I went through this a few months ago with my so. He has lost 100lbs three years ago and has kept it off. He goes to the gym six days a week. He woke me up one night, he thought he was having a heart attack. I called 911 and ambulance came. He wasn't showing signs of a heart attack, he was taken to the hospital. Turned out to be a pulled muscle in his chest. The attending dr had told us rarely do they ever see text book symptoms.

I do hope you can get him to go. Sometimes men need a good kick in the butt.
  • PrincessPeach
    Is he opposed to an urgent care center? At the very least they can take vitals and get a chest X-ray. I hope you can get him to go.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Do you have $150? Or a luxury expense worth $150? What about telling him you'll sacrifice you next three (or five) dinner dates if he'll go? If his argument is just about the money.

I'm also for tricking him like the dog.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • lilolmelilolme
    Yup, trick him. 
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Just pull rank. Tell him he's going, period, and you're not taking no for an answer. That's what I had to do with my DH after he'd been writhing in pain from a kidney stone for two hours. What is it about men and doctors? It's like they think they'll lose a testicle if a white coat comes within a six-foot radius or something.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • shate98shate98
    first, don't call an ambo. those things are expensive.

I agree on pulling rank. He's going next time he gets it, end of story.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Has he gone? I'm kind of worried
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
    He hasn't gone... but he knows that if it happens today or tomorrow we WILL go.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

I broke down last night about Brian...
    Reminded him that I wasn't willing to have another person refuse to go to the hospital.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• Hopefully things turn out ok and it's nothing serious.

>:D<
  • KiinuKiinu
    Men are dumbasses with their health. DH has had three (FUCKING THREE)  heart attacks. He had them at 22, and spent 3mos in ICU from Lyme Disease. He knows he's at risk, does dumbshit go to the hospital when he has chest pain? Nope, doesn't even tell his Primary.

It took "passing out" and totaling my car to get him to a hospital, now his primary is going apeshit because he should know better, and the ER discharged him because they're not familiar with his history and he was to fucking out of it to tell them.

Drag Damnit into an ER if you have to. Hopefully he stops being a "man" and goes to the fucking Dr. Let me know how he makes out. Hopefully the fact that it just travels around means it's some sort of stress reaction. But he shouldn't fool around with chest pain.
    The $$ isn't a major issue. We won't be destitute if we end up going to the ER.
    We aren't well off... but not broke.
    We are both just cheap asses that hate to spend $$ on *nothing*... & to him... it's nothing.

To me, it's not.

He knows I'm the GBIC of this relationship, household... etc. He tells people here has to check with the CEO...

I called him today to check on him.
    He knows that I know if he is lying.
    If he comes home tonight & I even suspect he had a twinge... we will be going to the ER.

Period...

I'm the the fucking GBIC...

I AM THE WALRUS
    KOO KOO KACHOO
    MOTHER FUCKER

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b