Potty training!?!?
  • OxiMOMOxiMOM
    Okay Mikey (aka little man) is only 14 months old so I know its early very very early. But he loves to take his diaper off he's an advanced nudest. Anyway he now pulls his arm into his pj's and takes it off or at least pulls the tabs open. Sooo I'm thinking maybe get him a training potty. I don't want to rush him or be like he has to be potty trained right away but maybe just having him sit on it now and then bare assed and if he happens to go when he's on give him some sort of treat.

So be honest really stupid idea or why not try it just to see?
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    My opinion is to try it. My baby is 8 months and I was already taking to the pedi about it. The only downfall with starting early is that you could have an extended potty training experience. Supposedly 18 months is the magic number to do it early. Good luck, potty training is awful imho!
  • momma2A
    I did the same thing when DD was a few months older because she was telling me when she was peeing and pooping. I let her run around naked when she wanted and sit on it when she wanted. She's never been scared of it at all and I haven't pushed potty training. She's actually scared at the release feeling so doesn't consistently go but sometimes goes.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I don't see where it would hurt. Just don't get mad if he doesn't get it. Now keep in mind my DS just got it this month. He is 5. He is what I would call a late bloomer.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • shate98shate98
    ok. so my stepmom is from eastern europe. she thinks it's the weirdest thing that DS2.5 is only now potty training. Her DS was potty trained by 1. Apparently, that the norm where she's from. So, I think you'll be fine potty training early. ;)
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I don't understand how it's possible to potty train a kid who isn't even verbal yet! But apparently it can be done. This is in refence to the European approach, not your situation, @Oximom.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • shate98shate98
    @fatchickonabike it was a weird exchange of us giving each other weird looks like, "you don't potty train by 1?" "how could you possiblly potty train by 1?"
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I put a potty in my bathroom when DS started taking an interest in what I was doing in there. Note that he didn't potty train early, but he never had a fear of it either. And DD could've been trained by 2 if her father hadn't told her she didn't have to use the potty. She would go in it all the time for me, then one visit to her dad's, she came home and said "daddy says I don't have to" . Smdh. But I digress. It wont hurt getting him used to the idea now, just no pressure.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • OxiMOMOxiMOM
    Yeah I won't push him to use it just more get him used to sitting on it and if he goes great he gets a treat of some sort If he dosent use it no big deal
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I actually had a potty in the TV room, just sitting around, and DD would use it spontaneously sometimes while she was playing.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • GritsGrits

I actually had a potty in the TV room, just sitting around, and DD would use it spontaneously sometimes while she was playing.

That's what we did for DD4. She hated the bathroom for some reason. And she was about 18 months when she started telling me she was wet/dirty. But once we put it in the TV room, she would sit on it and the TV would keep her occupied. So she would go and be all surprised because she had forgotten she was on the potty. It was kinda funny. But she was also potty trained within a few months of that. So it's whatever you think he's ready for. DD8 was 3 before she was fully trained.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn