Need some rash/dry skin advice
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    DD2 has a bit of a rash on the backs of her legs, stomach, and back.  I'm pretty sure it's eczema, because I have it.  But it's also VERY dry here.  She keeps scratching herself until she almost bleeds and has scratch marks all over her poor little body.  I've tried Aveeno, Cortisone, Johnson's Vanilla Oatmeal Soothing bath and lotion.  I only give her maybe 3 baths per week, and all lukewarm.  I put either the oatmeal or Curel on her twice per day.  I put her in footie pajamas so she can't scratch at night. Her nails are cut.  I'm about at my wits' end, because I HATE seeing her miserable and itchy.  Any moms with any advice? 
  • ErispagettiErispagetti
    I would advice to take her to the dr. I know my mom use to put foot cream from avon on her eczema.
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    hexane free castor oil or coconut oil works like a dream on my son. The problem with asking for medical intervention is they only offer steriodal creams.......sometimes, its bad enough that that's the only option. For my son, when he was little.....thos steriods were the only thing that worked.....till I got fed up and started looking into natural methods.
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • doubletroubleplus1doubletroubleplus1
    Have you tried the Neosporin lotions for eczema? My DS4 had horrible eczema until almost a year ago...we tried just about everything you've listed, plus some prescription ointments. They would work briefly, but then he would adapt and it would get bad again. The Neosporin stuff worked pretty well, though. 
    I'm not sure exactly what happened with my son...I guess he just outgrew it. He rarely gets it anymore, and when he does it is only a small patch, and doesn't bother him much. I hope your DD grows out of it soon!
    "There's nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time."
  • undercoverbanana
    my dd has exzema. didn't start until her teens. does she have the scaly kind? or the blistery kind?
    i'm nekkid.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Eucerin Calming Cream is specifically for eczema.  It's what our peds suggest for it.  Plus, plain old vaseline (or Aquafor) under cotton is one of the dermatologist recommended treatments, but I would try the Calming Cream first since it isn't as greasy.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • bendorbreak bendorbreak
    I use cetaphil products in myself and ds2. Mostly the cream after a shower but they also make soap and lotions. If i did it all the time we would never have a problem but i put it on when we get dry and two days later we are good.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I like plain old Vaseline. I lather them up twice a day. When it gets really bad we use a prescription hydrocortisone ointment. Hydrolatum (water infused petroleum jelly) is good too, not a greasy, you can get it from the pharmacy. I also like the new aveeno baby eczema therapy lotion. It took care of the real mild stuff over night
  • undercoverbanana

sounds like she shas a problem mainly where she sweats, and her clothes rub? is it her stomach and back just above or below the waistband of her pants?  that's where my dd always got it.....and then her arms and legs. sounds like you are being careful what you wash her with, and weather changes are terrible for exzema.

try something: go to family dollar and get a stick of cocoa butter. less than 2 bucks. cut it in pieces, put it in a glass bowl and melt it in the microwave. melt it no longer than one minute at a time. the bowl will get hot, so be careful. add equal part olive oil (if it's an ounce of cocoa butter, add an ounce of olive oil. a shot glass full)  beat it with a mixer until it gets cloudy, and pour it in something else. something clean, with a lid. try that on her itchy spots after bathtime while her skin is still damp.

i'm nekkid.
    Her pediatrician recommended the cortisone and aveeno.  Not much help, but then, I've been dealing with eczema since I was a kid and NEVER received any real help, except ONE TIME when this REALLY old doctor gave me some sort of steroid shot.  It cleared me up, and I didn't have a breakout for two years.  When I did break out again, he had passed away and hadn't kept good records, so no one could tell me what the shot was. 

Anyway, I digress.  I have heard of the Eucerin cream and may give it a try, as well as the castor oil (I'm allergic to coconut, so I don't want to try it on her).  Thanks ladies. 

@undercoverbanana It's on the backs of her legs, right beneath her diaper.  I had switched her from Luvs to Parents Choice, then back, and when I went back, the Luvs seemed to cause a little of the rash.  On her back, it's high up, near her shoulder blades.  It's also high on her stomach.  I think a change in laundry soap may have triggered it, along with turning off the swamp cooler, which kept the house humid. 
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    @LiquidPeppermint if you can go see a dermatologist. I give my kids some Benadryl before bed when they won't stop itching it helps too. And trim her fingernails so she can't break the skin.
  • undercoverbanana
    so, it's where everything rubs? (cocoa butter isn't coconut. just in case.) poor kid. i actually started making scrubs and creams and such for my dd's exzema.
    i'm nekkid.
  • shate98shate98
    Udder Butter.

I don't have eczema but I do have dry skin and when it gets really bad and eurcerin won't cure it, the udder butter always works. And yes, it's for cows, but it works on gals too.

I've also heard if you live in a dry climate that ingesting small amounts of olive oil every day work as a preventative for dry skin. I live in a soggy climate so I don't know from experience.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
    No dermatologist in my town, only 3 hours away in Albuquerque.  She hasn't quite gotten to that point yet. 

I have some cocoa butter lotion.  It has never worked for me, because it has fragrances in it that cause me to just break out worse.  Never occurred to me to try it on her. 
    @shate98: I don't care if it's for cows, pigs, worms, or elephants! If it works, it works!
  • shate98shate98
    here's the kind I use and I've also used whatever my mom's bf picked up from the farm store. EDIT- that one was Bag Balm Udder Butter.

My fav part are the directions:
    "Thoroughly wash treated udder and teats with clean water and soap before each milking to avoid contamination of milk."
  • undercoverbanana
    not the lotion----if if bothers you, it will bother her, too. STRAIGHT cocoa butter. the reason i said melt it and add olive oil is because naturally cocoa butter is really hard. and crumbly.
    i'm nekkid.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Fuck! Every time someone else comments, the damn site erases what I typed. Upshot: if you use fabric softener, stop. She could be allergic to it.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • shate98shate98
    ooh good call @fatchickonabike. and dryer sheets too.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    you can get Bag Balm at Walgreen and Walmart, too.  It's great for dry skin, but it stinks to high heaven.  If she's not allergic to lanolin, you can also try Lasinoh, it's pure medical grade lanolin and works great for dry skin too (without the stink of Bag Balm, which as I recall also has lanolin).

The other thing it might be is a yeast rash, especially if she's scratching it, so you might try some Lotrimen if nothing else works, or Borofax...that's like a little miracle in a jar, but you have to get it online.  

Try Huggies or cloth diapers.  I found Huggies less irritating than any of the others for dd when she was in diapers, but she still got horrid rashes that cleared right up when I went to cloth diapers.

Cornstarch powder too will help the itch.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • shate98shate98
    @BellaBefana the Udderly Smooth brand that I use now doesn't smell bad and I got it at Rite Aid. fyi if you like Bag Bal but not the smell
    @shate98, I did mention dryer sheets in the other three attempts I made at posting. Thank you for adding that!
    DANG! The dryer sheets! I started using them for DSS, at his request.  They're awful smelly! Maybe that's why she and I are both breaking out (along with the dry, cold air)
    BINGO!!!!!!! Stop using the sheets, use 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle instead.......will help bunches for you both!!!!!!
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • shate98shate98
    Don't forget to rewash your bedsheets and not just your clothes, if that is the problem...
    The reason I thought of it is because I'm allergic as hell to the stuff, and that's exactly what it does to me: itching in the areas where my clothes are most closely in contact with my skin. And it would make sense that none of the remedies are working if her skin is constantly being re-irritated.
  • PDXcocoPDXcoco
    Cetaphil in the tubs is what I use for my ecezma, per my dermatologist. I love it!
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Adding baking soda to the bath water helped my boys so much.

Ditto on the Bag Balm. It's the ONLY thing that works 100% of the time, and usually overnight.
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    At least on my kiddos.
    So funny, she and I both broke out the day after we came back from my parents' for Christmas.  The day we came back, I washed all our bedclothes and (guess what) used lots of dryer sheets to make them smell REALLY GOOD.  Then did the same thing a week later.  Three times now, I've done it, lol.  Guess I'll wash them again today. 
    For smell......after using the vinegar in the wash (it gets the soap out of the clothes).....put a couple drops of essential oil of your choice on a wet wash rag......it will add a scent safely to your clothes.
  • KiinuKiinu
    this has been the most effective way I keep DS's skin under control. I don't need to use it so much now because he was reacting to Milk and we've taken that away. But up until we took the milk away this is how I kept his eczema under control. It's called Wet-wrapping.

http://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

• PJSaregreatPJSaregreat
    If it's not the fabric softener/dryer sheets, Ds dr told me to use Eucerin on ds. He was only like 8 or 9 months when they told me it was eczema. He's always hated the eucerin though because it's so thick, but he doesn't have near the flare ups as he used to, as long as he uses some kind of lotion regularly. He's 11 now.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Try the Purex Crystals if it's the smell you like instead of dryer sheets.  You can also get those bumpy rubber balls for the dryer to soften the clothes.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • cheesehead4ever
    My DD had severe eczema from birth till 10. Some summers do bad she would ooze through her clothing and barely walk. The only moisturizer that didn't sting was Aquaphor.
    I don't know why she outgrew it. It coincided with us moving from a farming community (might have been environmental), we built our new house with no carpet and I started making my own laundry detergent.
  • babablacksheepbabablacksheep
    My DS has eczema. He used to scratch his back until it would bleed. I give him oatmeal baths and put any petroleum based lotion on him...like vaseline. They do have a creamy vaseline that works great and isn't as greasy. It seems to be more under control the older he gets.
    I got some udder cream and re-washed all clothes and bedclothes, and put a humidifier in her room.  It seems to be getting a bit better.