low fluid around baby?! ahhhhh....
  • missmama5missmama5
    At my last ultrasound, the doc said one of the pockets of fluid around baby was a bit low but she wasn't overly concerned, they'd keep an eye on it, etc. I went back today & the fluid is really low all around baby. They had me on a non stress test, baby has a great heartbeat & is moving fine, and they did a fern test for leaking fluid which came up negative. The doc said she's really surprised that it was negative because of the circumstances and because otherwise my body is showing lots of signs of pre term labor (I'm 33 Weeks 5 days). I have to go back on Friday, or before if Babys movements slow down or I develop a fever or chills. If the fluid hasn't changed or has gotten worse, they're probably going to take her out. I just really hope she's okay until then, I'm nervous & scared. Anybody else had this problem? What happened? Please make me feel better!
  • Lakegirl34
    Oh no! That sounds so scary. I don't have any experience with it, but they are going to monitor you closely which is good and you seem to be in tune with your body. I'm sending lots of positive energy and prayers your way! >:D<
  • missmama5missmama5
    @lakegirl34 honestly I just want to run back to the hospital and beg them to take her out so I know she's safe. :(
  • missmama5missmama5
    I think I remember @sidsmommy3 saying that this happened to her, and a few others but I can't recall....
  • Katescrazymom

That sounds scary.  I know it would be nice to have her out where you can see what's going on, but you can bet they're going to be keeping an eye on her via ultrasounds to make sure she has enough fluid.

Did they give you a number, I know you could look up just how low it is.  Or that might just stress you out (more).

Keep yourself very hydrated, and I think cutting out salts can help (?), but I don't have any personal experience. 

Hoping for the best and that your little girl can bake a bit longer!

• RosamundiRosamundi
    I had low fluid levels, but not so drastic. The OB told me to drink fluids constantly, and that helped a bit.

Huge hugs.

If the doc thought Baby needed to gone out to be safe, you would be in a hospital right now. Just track baby movements, it will help you know everything's ok if you have a written record.

It's all going to be ok!
  • Tranquil
    I was leaking fluid and went into preterm labour at 35 1/2 weeks. Everything will be fine. Just breathe and try and relax the best you can. Make sure to go in as soon as something changes. Hugs
  • MorganD
    *hugs* I'm so sorry!! You'll be okay, I'm sending lots of prayers and love and smojo to you and Avery.
  • AAA08
    :(. Hugs to you. I'm positive she will be just fine. They have a close eye on you.
  • missmama5missmama5
    @katescrazymom oh I'm trying not to google anything, I'll just give myself a heart attack.

Thank you for the kind words everyone :) I'm trying to stay calm.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    That is scary but if they were really concerned you'd be in the hospital. Make sure you do kick counts, you should feel at least 5 movements in an hour.
  • AAA08
    Don't google shit!!
  • missmama5missmama5
    Not googling, lol, and she is moving good :) in my bladder at the moment!
  • AloneOverseasAloneOverseas
    My cousins wife was delivered a few days ago (on the 11th) because of the same issue. Mother and baby are both doing fine, although she was at 37 weeks when they delivered her. And baby was over 8lbs! I think they kept monitoring her for a couple weeks and then decided not to wait any further.
    I love purple; I love cats. Imagine if cats were purple ...
  • beachmommybeachmommy

I keep deleting my response bc I am going back and forth in my head on whether I should share this with you (I used to hate hearing warnings when I was pregnant)....but I think it is important, so here goes.

I am going to tell you my experience, but please do not panic.  I am simply sharing this so that you understand why the Dr's want to keep an eye on you.

On the day that I had my son, they did a fluid check and sent me to the hospital immediately for induction when they found I was very low on fluids.  When induction wasn't working quick enough, they sent me in for C-Section.

Being low on fluids can be very dangerous. If you were at a dangerous level, I would think your Dr. would admit you right away.  The fluids help keep the cord "floating".  It keeps the cord lubricated enough to slip around in there and around your baby.  Without the fluids, the cord can get tangled.  That is what happened to my son.  When they finally got him out, he had to be resuscitated (?? not sure if that is the right word since he never really breathed before??)  There was an issue with meconium that they suspected was due to the cord / stress etc.

Drinking LOTS of water helps keep your fluids up.  If they are monitoring you and you are keeping kick counts, you will be fine.  Stay relaxed.

I also want to point out that the Dr's think my water had broken on Saturday, and that my body reabsorbed it (baby's head acted as a plug).  I did not have him until 11pm Monday night.  So he survived more than two days with low fluids. 

@missmama5 - you and the little one will be just fine - the Dr's are watching you.  Call them if you are worried - that is what they are there for.

My beach is still Sandy....
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Yep stay away from the google! Sounds like they're monitoring you and Avery closely, and I agree that if they were terribly worried you'd have been admitted. Just follow what the docs say, and try to relax! You and baby are in my thoughts.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • missmama5missmama5
    @beachmommy that's scary, I'm so glad you and your son were okay! I do think they would have kept me, and they will on Friday I'm sure if it is bad enough....I just worry about the cord until then, ya know? Also I know they won't even bother inducing me, I'm already signed up for cesarean only! Lol! So hopefully that will help us avoid some possible problems I dunno. Thank you for sharing, really, I'm glad you did! Oh, how far along were you?
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    (((hugs))) @missmama5 Sending you lots of smojo and baby dust!!!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • LLBLLB
    Oh honey I'm sorry. I have no experience with low fluid levels but I've heard that drinking lots of fluids can help replenish the fluid around baby. So keep hydrated momma. And go back to the hospital if you really think something is wrong.

You've done such an awesome job keeping her safely tucked inside this long.

Keeping you and baby Avery in my thoughts. >:D<
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    @missmamma5 - I was a week overdue - MUCH farther along so the little guy didn't have much room left in there anyway!
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • missmama5missmama5
    You're all helping to ease my mind :) I'm such a spaz, I know....this is such a scary time for me! I've come so far, and don't want any more complications. Sigh.
  • OpheliaOphelia
    Fingers crossed for you. I think you are gonna have a very sassy little girl..
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • ChristyJChristyJ
    33 weeks! You are there and you will both be fine. So sad that you have one more bump to navigate, but you will make it. Do your 33 week celebration!
    Imperfect and proud of it.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Chug water like crazy. That's what I was told to do when my fluid measured low.
    breathe and try to relax.
    Hug your belly until you can hug her.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    @missmama - yep - last pregnancy my fluid was low.  They couldn't figure it out, but scheduled me for an emergency c-section.  Everything was ok with delivery and she was ok. I think I was like 37 or 38 weeks - and she weighed 6 lbs, 13 oz.  (crazy - in at 4:30 and had a baby at 4:36!)

It's gonna be fine!
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • missmama5missmama5
    :) hopefully I can sleep tonight now, you guys are great, thank you all!
  • pennypenny
    I'm a little late here, but I also had low fluid. I went in on a Saturday because I wasn't feeling much movement and it turned out that my fluid had gone low, so his movements weren't translating to me very well. I was induced that day, but I was also 36w5d and already on bed rest for high blood pressure. Stay hydrated and keep track of the movements, and be sure to call if you notice a drop off in frequency or intensity. Like everyone else has said, they would have kept you if they were really concerned.
  • missmama5missmama5
    Blah. Wish I could say I was feeling better today. I barely slept, I kept waking up, rolling over, waiting to feel her shift with me, rinse & repeat. I don't want to do this for the next 5 Weeks, I swear if the fluid is still really low on Friday I'm begging them to take her out. I'm exhausted & stressed, even though she's super active today. I'm going to drink tons of water like you all suggested and just vegetate, I can't even focus on other stuff anyways. Ugh. I love all of ya, thanks for the advice & kind words!!!
    Feed her a lil coffee. ;-) lol
    So she is being active? Just not at the times you're use to?
    Cohen has days where he does the same damn thing to me!
    I try to stay calm n wait for a few nudges.
    He also gets more active when I'm on my left side.
  • missmama5missmama5
    @Mommyliciousx4 she's actually being pretty active and that's normal for her, and I did have coffee but I've got a cold & my face is full of snot, makes me gag, and I threw up my coffee all over my living room carpet. It was just what I needed today. :( I've got my kick count sheets out & writing them down is making me feel a bit better. Drinking tons of water. I still just don't want this on my brain & heart right now, I've waited too damn long and hurt too damn much to get here and if this baby is ready to come, dammit, I'm going to make sure she gets here safely.
    >:D<<br />I'm just now feeling human from my cold.
    I understand your worries, not exactly, but I do understand.
    I'm sorry you even have to worry, but I think that starts at the moment of conception. Even in the easiest pregnancies.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    >:D<
  • missmama5missmama5
    Thank you :) that is true! Haha
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Fuzzy blanket of smojo surrounding you and the babe. Push the fluids . See ur Doc and may much "baby dust" be sprinlkled around you . Much love
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    Oh my @missmama5 If its not one thing its another. Avery will be fine, you are right on top of her, monitoring her closely. Your at 33 weeks? Thats good, you know her odds outside of your tummy are favorable. DD15 was born at 34 weeks and had minimal issues and only a 12 day stint in the NICU. Ill be thinking of you
    I am me, and I am loved
  • missmama5missmama5
    Thank you :) @sunnymomma I'll be 34 Weeks on Friday if she's born then. Good to know :)
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Huge hugs! I hope you can get a little rest today and a little relief from your cold. Thanks for keeping us posted, I've been thinking about you this morning and I'm glad to know Avery is doing well!
  • missmama5missmama5
    Thank @rosamundi :)
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    You'll be just fine, rest and fluids and make sure you stay in contact with you OB. And yes, STAY OFF google!

Low amniotic fluid can be a dangerous condition, but you're being monitored pretty closely so try not to worry too much. It wouldn't surprise me if they give you steroids to mature her lungs just in case you need to deliver before the 36 week magic marker.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • missmama5missmama5
    @Bellabefana my doctor seemed really happy with her lungs & breathing, but I think yes they'd still give me the shots which would be great.
    They said that even though she's a little small (25th percentile) she seems bang on in her development so I'm just going to have a very little girl is all. I'm little & so is dh so I'm not worried.
  • ErispagettiErispagetti
    I had this problem with my 1st child. I went into labor three weeks earlier. She was came out healthy expected she had jaundice. My doc use to tell me as long as the baby is active. Then the baby was fine. They kept a eye on me.
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    my DD was 4lbs 7 oz and 17 inches. Tiny but formed!! she had minor problems, she couldnt master the suck swallow breath thing, had episodes of apnea and bradicardia, and couldnt maintain her temp. All easily managed in the nicu, lil bout with jaundice, never was on oxygen no surgeries.  but she is just perfect now!! and NICU's have come along way, trust in your Dr's and everything will be fine. hugs. 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • Rose
    Almost the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. Ultrasound at 33 weeks showed low fluid and they gave her a steroid shot and told her to come back in 2 days for a c section. When she went back 2 days later things seemed better so they cancelled the c section and monitored her every 3 days until she made it to her full term due date.
  • missmama5missmama5
    Ugh I can't be monitored every 3 days for the next 4 Weeks! I live an hour away from the hospital! :(