contractions that start and stop
  • AAA08
    I had this with my older two, but earlier in my pregnancies. I ended up in labor and delivery; sometimes they stopped on their own, other times they stopped them. I had both boys around 37 weeks.

. I know what braxton hicks feel like, and these are more severe and consistent. I refuse to go in and get sent home at 36 weeks, so I'm getting annoyed and nervous, especially with the recent stress test I took where they teased me with the idea of induction. Plus, with my husband living out of state until I can get us all moved, I'm kind of a mess.

I was up for 2hrs. Last night with painful contractions in both the front and back, but they eventually stopped. Has this happened to anyone else? Just sort of curious, or if I'm just a weirdo who has starting and stopping labor.
  • 456Imamom
    I had painful contractions (not Braxton Hicks) starting at about 28 weeks. They weren't consistent though. My doc told me if they didn't stop when I laid down to come into L&D. I did at 30 weeks cause it felt like my water was leaking. It all turned out to be a false alarm, and despite the painful contractions, they weren't doing anything (everything was closed up tight). My doc told me I have an 'irritable uterus' and that as long as they contractions didn't become regular (at regular intervals) and went away I was fine. If they did become regular, or my water broke, she wanted me to come in ASAP (that was before I was 36 weeks). Now, she's not worried since I'm nearly term.

@AAAo8 How far along are you? 
  • AAA08
    I'm just over 36 weeks. Had both my older two at 37. This one has dropped, and there was a little progress with my cervix on Friday. I had them before this week, but I kind of eaited it out due to my history...the thought of being in l&d and getting sent home makes me sick.
  • AAA08
    I just looked up IU. That's me. If I had gone to l&d every time I had them 4-6 times in an hour, I'd have spent each pregnancy in the hospital the entire time(did spend a lot wih the first and a bit with the 2nd). Nice to know this now, lol.
  • 456Imamom
    I think we might be due at the same time. I'm due Feb 8!

I'm not sure what directions/advice your doctor has given you about when to go to L&D. With my first baby my doc told me to go in when the contractions were less than 5 min apart, or my water broke. I ended up going in when the contractions were still 7-8 min apart, but they were getting REALLy painful (like I couldn't talk, walk and needed to really focus). Turns out it was the right time to go in.... I was 5 cm when I arrived and they examined me.... the triage nurse was shocked :D

If I were you (and it sound like we are in similar situations) I would try to relax/rest when they kick in. If they become regular, start timing them. If they stay regular and don't go away, call your doc or L&D. If you aren't worried, then it's probably still a false alarm.

I'm with you, I don't want to show up until its time for the main show! ;)

• AAA08
    They always say the whole 5-10 minute thing fir an hour, but I would be there every other day, lol. I knew last time when it was the real deal, so I'm sort of trying to just relax.
  • AAA08
    And that is how it was for me...and it went super fast. The nurses were annoying me because I kept telling them I was getting close and they wouldn't check me. My husband yelled at one, and when she re-checked me, I was at 9.
  • bendorbreak bendorbreak
    I say go to in and at least find out. So what if they send you home, at least you will know everything is ok.
  • AAA08
    You have no idea how many times I've been through this, and spending time in the hospital for no reason is both disruptive to my other kids and costs a shit ton of money, even with insurance. It's not like anything can be "wrong";the baby will be born no matter what at this point. I wasn't asking if I need to go in(not being snarky, just truthful), just if anyone else deals with this.
  • AAA08
    Plus, my husband is in the next state in police academy...I can't get him here for nothing. It has to be the real deal.
  • bendorbreak bendorbreak
    Youre wrong. I dont want to scare you, but things do go wrong. My daughter was stillborn at 36 weeks and 4 days. From a pregnancy with zero complications and no warning. It would kill me if i didnt say something and someone else had to go through that.
  • AAA08
    My baby is moving and active like normal. My non stress test came back awesome, as did all my extra labs on Friday/Saturday. Baby is just fine.This has been what all my pregnancies are like. I'm under excellent medical care near a major city, and my doctor has kept a close eye on me due to both this and the fact my husband is out of state. The hospital is literally 2 minutes from where I am. While I'm very sorry that happened to you, this is not the same as what you are describing.
  • RagingRachRagingRach
    Contractions with my first were never consistent, until full blown active labor. DD was born in her due date though. I was sent home from the hospital at 4 cm, continued to have inconsistent contractions, then went to bed. Woke up a few hours later in tears. Water broke as soon as I got to the hospital. I was 9cm when I got into L & D. So it is possible to be progressing without regular contractions.
  • AAA08
    That's interesting they sent you home at 4cm. That's when they've always kept me for showtime. My doctor says that's basically what I do...progress slowly for a while, then bam. It just happens my guys seem to like to be a little early.
  • GritsGrits
    All three of mine were born before their due date, and with all three, I took forever to dilate, and then all at once from a 5 or 6 to a 10. Actually with my last two, the nurse midwife had to move the rim of my cervix out of the way. It never would move all the way over.

The only one I had inconsistent contractions with was the last one. On and off for a few weeks before he was born. It's miserable, but thankfully you're almost there!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • AAA08
    @grits, they had to do that with both of mine! I'd never heard of anyone else who had that.
  • AAA08
    Just so no one thinks I'm stupid, I did call my doctor. He said given my history, to stay put unless they happen like last night, only stronger, or my water breaks.
  • 456Imamom
    @AAAo8 and @Grits I think they had to do that with me too..... when I got the urge to push, she kept telling me not to, but my whole body convulsed and started pushing. They had told me just a minute before that i was 9.5 cm, almost 10, but had a lip...
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I was watching some show, I don't remember what it was, but one of those labour-and-delivery shows, and one of the doctors said that tall women (over 5'6" or 5'7", I guess) have a pattern of going from 4-5cm to 10cm really quickly. He said he had no idea why that should be, but there seemed to be a correlation. How tall are you ladies who experienced that? (Just curious).
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • AAA08
    I'm barely 5'2. :) @fatchickonabike. Both times it went from 5-10 so fast it was nuts.
  • CrashCrash
    I'm 5'4, and I waddle around dilated to 3 cms for weeks before going into labor. And then when I do, I go from 3 cms to 10 in an hour.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • GritsGrits
    @fatchickonabike I'm only 5'3...with shoes. So I don't know how much there is to that.

@AAA08, I didn't know wtf she was doing down there. All of a sudden, she's telling me to push and her hand was still IN my cervix telling me she was going to hold back the rim of my cervix...I was freaking the hell out. I was like, move your hand and I will!! GAAAAH! LOL
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • AAA08
    Lol, @grits, that's what I was like with my oldest. The 2nd time was only 3 hrs from start to finish, eith me going from 4-10 in less than 45 minutes, so I was just like, whatever. So glad it was fast but my God, it was intense.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Okay, so his theory doesn't hold water...so to speak.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • momtomany74

Okay, so his theory doesn't hold water...so to speak.

Hmmm-I'm 5ft 9 and have been known (in my non c section pregnancies) to go from 3-10 in a matter of like, 15 minutes. 
  • Marionettevie
    i had what they called early labor... if i count from the first twinge till my son was born i was in labor for 3 days... if you consider my labor to be consistent then it was only like a day... they stopped twice during those three days. and i couldnt figure out what was going on, until the last day.. so yea i had labor that started and stopped for a couple of hours.

im 5'8", i went it and was checked at 5 going to 6cm. withing 3 hours i was at 9.5 with a lip. and i chose to have my water broken at that moment and have her push the lip to the side. my son was born minutes later.
  • 456Imamom
    I'm 5'4", but I wasn't as fast with DS... but I've only had one. We'll see how this one goes.

A friend of mine is 5'3", and she went from 4cm (no contractions, just felt 'off'), to emergency c-section with baby frank breach and half out (full 10cm) in an hour!