Stupid, annoying romantic holiday.
  • MorganD
    Okay, seriously, I hate Valentines day. I really do. Every single effing
    year has been a disaster, and I can't handle another one. I hate the
    pink and red hearts. I hate the giant teddy bears. I hate the huge,
    heart-shaped boxes of chocolate. I hate the fact that before New Years,
    all of this shit is put up in the stores.
    That being said...I would
    really love it if my SO got me some flowers. My dad was a huge romantic.
    He got my mom flowers ever single year, the big expensive roses.
    Sometimes he got her flowers just because he wanted to see her smile. I
    grew up in a house that almost always had fresh, beautiful flowers
    somewhere. I miss it. I want some flowers, and I want my SO to get them
    for me. But I don't want to have to tell him either. He hates Vday too,
    so I see it passing like any other day. I don't want to be wooed or
    seduced just because it's Valentines day. He can do that any day of the
    week. However, I do want some gesture of his affection. I want some
    flowers.
    I'm just a bundle of contradictions lately. *sigh*
  • squishsquish
    It's ok @morgand. I'm the same way. We actually don't celebrate it. Maybe just cards but that's it. Would I love it if he surprised me with flowers, yes. But I won't tell him because it was my idea to not make a big deal out of it.
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    Yeah my Dh has never been big on the flower's thing for me.  I'll see him pick up flower's fo rhis mom for Mother's Day, but I don't remember the last time if ever he has gotten me flowers.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • OUCHOUCH
    Yeah, I've bought my husband flowers but he rarely gets me any. To make matters worse, our anniversary is Feb 20th. Shit!!! This year is 10 fucking years.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate." - UNK
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
    "Tattoos don't define the person, the person defines the tattoos." - Me
    “The pain now is part of the happiness then” – CS Lewis
  • babablacksheepbabablacksheep

The last time I got flowers was last year for my birthday. Not the nice big pretty bouquet but the kind you plant in the ground. And guess who got to plant them? Yay! Happy Birthday to me! NOT!

My DH and I put the kids to bed early Valentines day and make dinner for two together.....but it seems more like I am doing more of the cooking as the years have past. This year I think I will order chinese food and curl up with a bottle of wine, a good movie and no hubby! Lol!

• MorganD
    @babablacksheep I haven't gotten flowers in almost 3 years. *sigh* It's depressing. Ya know, it doesn't have to even be flowers. Just some obvious gesture.
    @MorganD That sucks. I hate having to TELL my husband what I want or need. I feel like he should just know dammit! It's not special if you have to tell him! Maybe you can have someone put a little bug in his ear.
  • TiffanyFaith
    Sometimes I order myself flowers, lol! I just like them alot and I hate hinting at my husband (I'm not very subtle). My favorites are orange roses because I'm a weirdo lol!
  • MorganD
    @babablacksheep Pft. My SO is horrible with "little bugs". It's pitiful. I love him very much, and I know he loves me. I guess I'm just feeling a bit under appreciated and since he seems to be so busy all the time, I'd like to know that he realizes I'm still here!

@TiffanyFaith I'm a Tiger Lily girl myself. And if I buy my own flowers, he'll probably get mad at me for spending the money or not asking HIM to do it. Sheesh.
  • undercoverbanana
    im going to insist on one. an over the top one. i'm due.  i got nothing...not even a card, on our anniversary, flowers on my birthday (and a promise of a small shopping trip for some decent clothes that never happened), and nothing from my hubs for christmas, because what we had we spent on the kids. and i'm not going to take any b.s. that valentines day makes him sad because of his dad's birthday. his dad died four years ago. and i am done taking backseat to a dead guy.
    i'm nekkid.
  • MorganD
    @undercoverbanana AMEN. You go girl!
  • shate98shate98
    my bday is right around vday. So, I either get nothing for my bday or nothing for vday. Not a single boyfriend or DH has managed to celebrate both in one year. Most of the time vday gets more attention than my bday. Consequently, I personally hate this holiday because it overshadows my bday.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • undercoverbanana
    @morganD he is not going to like the credit card bill if i have to do my own shopping......again......only reason i didn't do it on my bday this year is because we needed every spare penny for bills, and to get the kids a few things.
    i'm nekkid.
  • MorganD
    It just seems like every year is a disaster. Seriously. During my first (only) year of marriage to xh, I went all out. I did make up, hair, sexy clothes...and he FORGOT. He completely forgot and came home all tired and bitchy and "why are you all dressed up?" OMG. Before that, there is a long line of high school trauma. And vday with SO? Well, our first year, he was still with his wife, so instead of a "just us" night, he suggested that we go hang out with his sister. His sister hates me, for reasons that I did NOT know at the time. Just to avoid having direct contact with her, I invited a friend and her hubs. Later, after we ditch his sister and my friends, we got a hotel room...I slipped and fell in mud on the way in. Then we left the room at 5am, so that he could sneak home before she noticed. So yeah....Vday SUCKS ASS. It never pans out the way I want.
    You know what? Fuck flowers. Fuck Vday. I'm crawling under a rock that day. >:p

Last year we decided not to buy anything for each other. Instead we wrote love letters to each other. It was such a great idea...for us at least. I felt like it took more effort for him to put his thoughts and feelings on paper than it would of for him to go to the store to get me flowers or a card. And it was FREE! And we made dinner. Well, I made dinner.

This year...take out, wine and a movie by myself preferably!

• MorganD
    @babablacksheep Take out sounds really nice. Honestly, I want to go see the new Die Hard movie. :) Blood and guns and explosions. Heck yes. >:)

Lol! Leave him home and take yourself out...sounds good!

• momofdbbmomofdbb
    We didn't realy do a big exchange. This year I'm sure I'll get nothing but I am divorcing him so I don't expect it ! My dad asked my mom one time " do you want me to bring home a bunch of dead flowers so they can wilt in a day or so and turn brown?" yea she has never gotten flowers. Stbxh bought me roses on out first date. He took a dozen pink ones out to Brianna's grave for her 8 th birthday.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • MorganD
    @babablacksheep lol Awesome.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    DH and I have never really bought into the whole Valentine's Day crap...We usually get each other a card, I think. lol But for the past few years we have gone out for pizza on valentines day because a pizza place here makes heart shaped pizzas. It's a family date night :) But yes, I too would like to get flowers once a year...but it may be a problems since I mentioned that flowers just die so it's a waste of money. lol Oh well, I really don't care, a surprise would just be nice.
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Totally agree with @leopardgirlie, men do not take hints at all. If you tell him now, you'll have forgotten you told him by vday and you won't spend the day annoyed for reasons he doesn't know about! Just tell him you want flowers :) we don't do valentines day but for birthdays I usually tell df if there's something I really want. No point in planning to be disappointed!
  • MorganD
    But we both have issues with Valentine's Day...I don't think he'll want to do anything. :(
  • MorganD
    @leopardgirle I hope you're right!
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    It doesn't even have to be on the day! It could be next week, or the day after vday. Call it anti-valentines day and worship the Cupid devil or some shit if it makes him feel better. Bottom line is you need some flowers!
  • MorganD
    lol @LittleTalks That's hilarious...and not a bad idea!!!
  • Manders15Manders15
    @leopardgirle tell him he'd best shape up or I'll come kick his ass!!  In a couple of years it'll be easier, you can send him out w/ the girls so that they can "help"  (it's what my mom always did, my dad would pay for the cards my brother and I gave to mom and we'd help him pick out flowers or whatever)
      I told SO I wouldn't mind a little upgrade from the flowers last year, this maybe flowers and a card?  lol, poor guy but oh well, he knew I was a sap going into it,n ow he has to deal with the consequences.
    ;)
  • Matt115
    I am excited about Valentines day this year. But just because it's my daughters first birthday. Forget all the lovey dovey flowers, candy, romantic 1 on 1 dinner noise, I'm celebrating with cake and presents here forward!
  • JuliaJ
    Really dumb holiday invented by Hallmark. My DH is sweet guy and buys me stuff I really don't need.. like sexy panties and bras..lol...but I go along with it and look surprised every VD. Then I put the panties on for him to take off and fuck me. lol
  • Quilting_grandmaQuilting_grandma
    Ok so v day is highly over rated in my eyes, just so you ladies know some guys really have no clue and you have to spell it out, my favorite flower gift was a rose off SO very own rose bush, at his old house, I still have the petals and that was 5 years ago... He brings me flowers from the grocery store sometime just because and I love it, and his DD 9 made me Duck tape flowers while I was sick over the holidays....
  • forkinthehead
    To me it's another retailer's holiday and creates too much pressure. Do we really need a day that means that if you don't buy your SO flowers, jewelry, candy or stuffed animals that become nothing but dust collectors...you aren't loved? Not really. I can only speak for myself. I would prefer my SO does something nice for me because he wants to...not because he feels pressured or is afraid he'll be in the dog house if he doesn't participate.

On the other hand 1-800 flowers has two dozen roses on sale for $39.99 that can be ordered now and they can be delivered bewteen February 11-13. Careful though, their delivery fee is usually expensive. I don't work for them. But I order occasionally and recieved an email with this info.
  • forkinthehead
    Whoops! I apologise for the double whammy.
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    Same here most holidays go unnoticed. Just once I want to be pampered and cherished for no reason at all!
  • DinoDangerDinoDanger
    Agreed on the V-Day, not a favorite holiday.  It gets overshadowed by the anniversary of his mom's passing, so we steer clear.  I wasn't a big fan in the first place so it works.  I've already told him I want to see the new Die Hard, @MorganD so maybe we'll go do that.  He's bought me flowers and a plant before to go in my office, but only does it because he KNOWS it embarrasses the shit out of me (don't ask, I just hate everyone asking who they're from, etc. etc.).  

I say do it a different day... Make you're own Valentine's day, and just call it the "You'll get laid if I get flowers" day.  I think that's a good exchange ;)
    http://haynesfamilyhomestead.blogspot.com/
    Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free. - V for Vendetta
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. - The Old Astronomer, Sarah Williams
  • faith4realfaith4real
    It's about being Romantic with the one I love.
  • faith4realfaith4real
    Yes, Holidays do tend to be over Commercialized.  
  • 3bluetulips3bluetulips
    I'm a Grinch at Christmas and an even bigger one at V-day. And speaking of calling it V-day, that just makes me think it's like Vagina day or something, so I get excited. Then I see that it's all about hearts, and stuffed animals and shit. Not for me, and don't like the flowers, cause yeah, they wilt and die. I would take a whole evening of not being hung on by the kids, with the DH playing at the computer, or sitting dazed while the kids climb on him. It's just another day, the only positive is the 13 is my son's birthday, and the Vday is my Mother's birthday, with whom I could care less about now. Sigh, can it be Summer already?
    The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any. Alice Walker
    Always be a first rate version of yourself, instead of a second rate version of somebody else. Judy Garland
    Don't get comfortable with who you are at any given time - you may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be. Jon Bon Jovi