Thawing shrimp? Help?
  • WillileeWillilee
    So I have some frozen shrimp that I need to throw in a crockpot for the final 15-20 minutes of cooking. They're already cooked, but do I throw them in frozen or what? The recipe does not say frozen shrimp. Do I thaw them? I don't fuckin know.
  • notscary
    I'd thaw them in a bowl of COLD water, shouldn't take long at all
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I'd thaw them in cold water. Or you *can* throw them in frozen, but it will add moisture to your dish
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Put them in a collinder and put them in the sink and run cold water over them till they are thawed.
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Yep through in cold water
  • WillileeWillilee
    Thanks all! Too bad the gumbo-like dish turned into mush. Didn't taste bad, just... gloppy. And it was in for an hour LESS than the recipe said. Oh well! Because DH is awesome, he went back for seconds after his "mushy" comment. Could have been because he's awesome, could have been a defensive move.
  • silken
    Shrimp cook fast--if you this recipe again I would cut down on the time especially if you thaw the shrimp
  • undercoverbanana
    did you cook the gumbo and the rice separately, or together? i know that sounds like a lame ass question.....but ....had to ask.
    i'm nekkid.
  • djbillie
    Anyone know how long cocktail shrimp stay good in your refrigerator? I have some from new years eve but afraid to eat them now. They were frozen that night and in the fridge since then.
  • LLBLLB
    @Djbillie I'd toss them if they have been in the fridge thawed for 2 weeks. The most I've ever kept them in the fridge after thawing is 1 day.
  • GritsGrits
    @undercoverbanana is right. If the rice cooks too long it falls apart and turns to mush. I learned that the hard way. I always cook my rice separately and dump it in at the end so it keeps it's texture.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • djbillie
    Thanks @LLB!! I appreciate it.
  • LLBLLB
    No problem, I'm not sure the "right" answer but i guarantee 2 weeks is way too long.

Food poisoning is not fun!
  • WillileeWillilee
    I HATE cooking rice! I wanted to just throw that shit in the cooker!
  • Quilting_grandmaQuilting_grandma
    I use instant rice and use the boil bag kind - always add after I'm done cooking, the full disk...
  • Marionettevie
    yeah i think you should throw the old shrimp away.... two weeks is WAY too long