Too broke to go to the doctor...
  • MorganD
    Okay, ladies, I need help. I have a urinary tract infection (I'm sure you all know what a bitch that can be) and I can't afford to go to the doctor. I have Women's Health Medicaid, but I don't know if that covers a GP visit. If they would just deal me some antibiotics, I'd be happy to pay, but we all know they won't do that, and a doctors visit is expensive. I've basically hooked myself up to a cranapple(I can't *just* do cranberry juice. EW.) and water IV drip, and I have absolutely no appetite. I've had fever on and off, and going to pee is turning into a very real problem, as it hurts like crazy. I don't know what else to do, and I need some wisdom on any at-home remedies that could possibly work on getting this to go away. Classes start in just over a week, SO is already in class M-F, and my boys are like all kids: active as hell and in need of attention. Please someone tell me that you know of something I can buy or make or eat that will help! I can't do this much longer!!

Oh, and SO thinks I'm pregnant, because one of the leading causes of a UTI is pregnancy(never mind that I'm on bc!!), so he keeps trying to feed me. Seriously, I might kill him if he doesn't stop. Or vomit on him. Whatever is the most effective. HELP!
  • OpheliaOphelia
    I'd try calling your gyno.. I know it isn't the usual gyno issue, but if that's what your medicaid covers.. I mean, they ARE drs for that area of the body and all. I know my gyno prescribed me antibiotics for a uti just a few weeks ago. can't really hurt to try.. hope you get some relief soon.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • laughlinlzrlaughlinlzr
    Cranberry tablets and urinary pain relief tablets. You can get both in generic form. It usually clears it right up.
  • MorganD
    @Ophelia OMG, thank you! I didn't think about that, that's brilliant! Now I just have to find a gyno...I don't think they can write out prescriptions at the Planned Parenthood where I got my Depo shot.lol

@laughlinlzr Thank you!! That's awesome.
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    Yeah I've gone to the gyno for a uti, because I didn't realize that is what it was and I was having pain while urinating.  So certainly give that a try.  
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • OUCHOUCH
    @MorganD according to Texas women's health Medicaid website they won't cover what you need. http://www.texaswomenshealth.org/page/benefits
    Other than that... Lots and lots of water and cranberry.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate." - UNK
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
    "Tattoos don't define the person, the person defines the tattoos." - Me
    “The pain now is part of the happiness then” – CS Lewis
  • MorganD
    @OUCH Damn! That sucks. :( I'm ready to be rid of this. Especially since SO and I are about to go buy some stuff for Oreo candy balls and I want to enjoy it!

Speaking of SO I asked him to go by the store on the way home and get me some AZO tablets, the cranberry and the pain relief. Fingers crossed!
  • OpheliaOphelia
    what about going to planned parenthood and acting like you think you have an sti? i mean if you go in and say "i dont know what's going on, it burns when i pee" they test for that kinda stuff, right? then maybe they could help you.
  • MorganD
    @Ophelia Maybe, but when I was there, they only had a nurse practitioner. Can they even write prescriptions?
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Most walk in clinics will bill you if you can't pay up front. Then you can pay it off at your discretion. You don't want it to get to your kidneys, though. Hospitals and ER visits are even more expensive than a trip to the dr. Just drink as much clear liquid as you possibly can. I know peeing hurts, but diluted pee will hurt less and the fluids will help flush you out.

I'm so sorry, I hope the lady bits feel better soon. Hugs.
  • OpheliaOphelia
    as far as i know they can @morgand
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Nurse practitioners should be able to write rx.
  • MorganD
    Thanks, @Rosamundi and @Ophelia. The last walk-in clinic I went to demanded up-front payment, if I didn't have insurance. I really hope that the ones around here are a bit more understanding. :( If not, I'm calling PP and seeing about getting in asap.
  • LilbitLilbit
    @morgand I don't mean this snarky at all but I don't know how long you have been having these symptoms, so if you don't get relief soon plz do go to a dr. Those can travel to your kidneys and cause blood infections. I believe it was @organicbaby just dealt with that issue
  • MorganD
    @Lilbit Just a couple of days. At first I thought it was just issues from the cold medicine I took, because we were all sick for a few days. If I can't get this over with soon, I will go to the doctor. I try to act tough, but I'm actually a big baby.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Organic yogurt , I have even spread it on my coochie , plain of course plus Vagasil AZO is de bomb healing vibes and hugs
  • MorganD
    Thanks @gramalibby! Although, I probably *won't* put it on my lady bits. I don't want my SO to tell me my stuff tastes like yogurt...that would be weird.lol Does eating it do the same job?lol And I told SO to get me some AZO while he's out. :)
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Yep but plain organic . I used it when the itch was at its worse w a Lady Flow pad and warshed good after about an hour
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    If you're still like that tomorrow I'd strongly recommend somehow going to a doctor. I put it off once when I knew I had a uti because I didn't have the money for the doctor, finally ended up going and it had gotten so bad I couldn't keep the antibiotics down and kept puking them up. Ended up in hospital on an IV for 2 days with a really bad kidney infection. I'm guessing a hospital bill would suck worse than a doctors one.

Other than that, I take cranberry pills now if I feel one coming on, and I get up to pee straight after sex. If I don't I can guarantee ill have one the next day!
  • MorganD
    @LittleTalks Ugh, yeah, I can't handle an infection  like that. If SO doesn't go get me the cranberry tablets and the pain relief tablets, I'll go get them myself. I just don't have time for the hospital.
  • SasafrasSasafras
    I'm not 100% positive but due to laws they cant ask for up front payment from "urgent cares" or er visits. You have a right to be seen regardless of your ability to pay. I'm not sure if it changes from state to state, but at the hospital i work at we can't even ask for a co pay before you being seen by a doctor. And they can't send you away if you can't pay. They can bill you.
  • MorganD
    @Sasafras I really hope your right. Because I'm going to have to hit the docs on Tuesday if this doesn't clear up at least a little by then.
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    @Lilbit it was @rahsgirl I think. Her urine infection affected her kidneys and doctor told her it could have been deadly if she had even waited few more hours to go to the Dr. So @MorganD this is way more serious that what you think. Hit the docs as soon as possible, not to sound dramatic but your kids need you around. Try asking the ob, she might find a way to prescribe antibiotics and get them covered.
  • MorganD
    I said Tuesday, but that won't happen. Thursday is the day I'll get my child support and I'll have to put all of it to the docs. God, I hope this clears up by then. Fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse between now and then.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Are there not low income clinics ? Call ur health dept and ask . Also DO NOT go to a FOR PROFIT ER , they will over charge and come a running for your $$$$$$ . Try a teaching hospital or a Catholic one but again avoid the FOR PROFIT , in doubt ask.
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    I've gotten a prescription from a nurse practioner before.  I don't know if it is different in Texas, but I know in both Pa and RI I have goten a RX from an NP>
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • SasafrasSasafras
    @morgand look up your states emtala laws (not sure if it goes by state) it requires most hospitals to provide life sustaining care regardless of insurance. If you wait too long this can become a real emergency. Find an after hours clinic, they generally are cheaper. Ask to talk a financial counselor, some hospitals have self pay discounts and also some type of patience assistance where they base on income and can pay up to a certain percentage of your hospital bills. Everyone has options to get help with your hospital bills. You just need to know who to talk to.
  • CinnaCinna
    I had a UTI August and went to an urgent care. The doctor said well I'll give you an antibiotic but young women like you usually can drink a ton of water and cranberry juice and flush it out. So maybe that work?
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • pennypenny
    Juice has too much sugar and just feeds the infection, so stick to water and cranberry pills as a bandaid. But if you're running a fever it's too late for that to knock the infection out and you do NOT want it to travel up to your kidneys. Please call around and see if there's any way you can get some medical care before Thursday.
  • MorganD
    @penny The fever usually only hits first thing in the morning, but this isn't horribly uncommon for me. Granted, it's happening more often than usual, but that can also be attributed to the cold that we're all still keeping at bay. I'm often running a higher-than-normal temp first thing in the morning. It's just me, for reasons unknown. I'm pumping myself full of water...unfortunately, I didn't know that big about the sugar, and I already drank the gallon of juice. However, H2O is now my friend. I'm still pestering SO to get his butt in gear with the AZO stuff. He's trying to finish our laundry. Thank you for the tip about juice, though, I've always heard it was best!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Yeah, I'd call your GYN, s/he can diagnose/treat a UTI and give you a pregnancy test just to shut dh up!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • pennypenny
    @MorganD I always used juice as well, but it wasn't cutting it with my last one and my doc told me that (a) it was feeding the little buggers and (b) it's not really concentrated enough anyway. Plus with the pills you don't feel like crap b/c you just drank a gallon of juice. The water will help, though, at least with the discomfort.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    oh, and lots and lots of water.  it won't kill the bacteria but it will help flush your system and you'll feel a little better w/o quite so much pain when you pee
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana I don't have a gyno. I have to find one and pray they get me in *soon*. Hence the need for a walk-in clinic.
  • shate98shate98
    Please go to a minute clinic or something and ask them to bill you. Please go tomorrow. Your health is important
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    I'm not exactly sure how yogurt is suppose to help a urinary tract infection......that's for yeast infection....... you need antibiotics.
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Is there a planned parenthood near you?
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana Yes, there is one about 5 miles away. It's where I got my Depo. Will they be able to help?

SO just picked me up some Urinary Pain Relief tablets from Walgreens, so hopefully, with alot of water, this will blow over.
  • GoddessGoddess
    I will go in if someone else will help, to pay to get you treatment.
    I actually have a humongous bottle of the antibiotic you need, on my fridge. It's what we use for horses when they get sick. Only they get ten at a time. Humans get one. ;)
    But I'm not into dealing drugs. If you were next door, I might leave the door unlocked accidentaly.
    Let's get you treated.
  • MorganD
    @Goddess Thank you, that means alot to me that you're willing to pitch it. But I can't take your money. :) I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what I can find about getting treatment and paying the bill as I can.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    I'm not a 100% but can't having sex give it to SO too?
    Be careful or it can be swapped back n forth.
    (If I'm mistaken, sorry and ignore me.)
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    actually......he can't catch it from you.......BUT you can get one from too much bumping of the uglies and/or flicking of the bean.......

I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • MorganD
    @SchweddyBalls Yeah...I'm pretty sure bumping is how I got it in the first place. lol
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    They should be able to, they've got at the very least, nurse practitioners and ob/gyns.  Just tell them your husband thinks you're pregnant but you also have symptoms of a uti
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana THANK YOU! I'm going to call them first thing in the morning.
  • MorganD
    I'm taking the urinary pain relief tablets, and it's SO MUCH BETTER. I don't have to pee every few minutes and it reduced the pain alot. Unfortunately, Planned Parenthood no longer accepts Women's Health Medicaid, and I would have to pay out of pocket for the UTI test. :(
  • LLBLLB
    Pay for it @MorganD you will be paying a lot more if you end up with a kidney infection!
  • MorganD
    @LLB I can't pay for it. I'm completely broke! I have $30 to my name right now. This is the worst possible time for me to be ill.
  • LLBLLB
    I know but you need to get this taken care of. If the meds are helping then it is most certainly a UTI. You don't want that spreading to your kidneys!

Do you have anyone that you can borrow $$ from? Anything you can pop on Craigslist or take to the pawn shop?

Have you called around to all the walk in clinics? Surely there must be somewhere that is willing to do the test and bill you for it.
  • episcopal
    @MorganD, I know that going to the ER sucks, but is this an option?  You don't want any kind of infection to get so bad that it could cause long-term damage somewhere, or worse.  I'm very concerned.
  • MorganD
    I've called to the walk-in clinics. There aren't very many and they all expect up-front payment. :( I'm talking to Planned Parenthood again about setting up a payment plan or something like that.