maybe move to canada?
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    sodhand i ahve been discussing relocating. we currently livein NE ohio and he has an ok job. buuuuut. other then our family here we really have no reson to stay. a friend of ours spent sometime on PE and said it is a greatplace to move to. so @Canadianmama, and anyother canadian mamas, is this the place to go? and if so on a scale of one to ten how hard is it to obtain citizenshiip and such?
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • scotiamama
    PE.... As in PEI? Anyplace in the Maritimes is shitty for work. Really shitty.
    Anywhere in the west seems to have a lot more job opportunities, we live in NS but my BF travels to AB to work for 3 wks of the month.
    But anyway... Canada rocks and you should come lol. Vacation in the east, work in the west.
  • undercoverbanana
    Do some research. Period, the end. And be prepared to have to teach your kids a foreign language to get ahead. If it is the Quebec area, they must learn French. Period, the end. And learn it yourself. If nothing else, if they have an opportunity to learn Spanish, even a little, in the states, make them do it! and start exposing them to different foods now. You dont want them to be the socially awkward kids. Whatever you teach them will come in handy. Like.....cheese curds and poutine.....expose them to it. nothing worse than being the dumb ass new kid that doesn't know shit.....but knows an awful lot about places the other kids have never been and dont give a fuck about about. Especially if they are close to being tweens. They want to blend in.
    i'm nekkid.
    thanks lasdies! i have found a few web sites today to read more on. dh has never been out of the country so im trying to impress upon him that we need to travel there BEFORE we move lol didnt think about the french part, but we are dora and diego fans!
  • undercoverbanana
    Look up educational standards where you are, vs where Canadian kids are at the Same age/ grade level. you dont want them to be behind. I never moved out of the country but from state to state, it was a problem.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    dont make them get the vaccines un.til it is a done deal. I got all the shots required for 8 countries I never went to. Sucked. And keep all those records so they dont have to get more shots they dont need.
    i'm nekkid.
  • CrashCrash
    Western canada has a lot of work opportunities. Eastern....not so much. Here, anyone could probably pick up a job in a couple of weeks, but it's getting pricey to live. I have no idea about citizenship though.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • 456Imamom
    If you are interested in moving here (Canada) and settling in for good (i.e. getting citizenship) the Canadain government is very supportive of 'skilled workers and professionals' and 'Skille Trades' . Here is the website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp 

I've traveled all over the world and all over Canada, and I might be biased being Canadian, but I'd rather live here than anywhere else in the world.... Although I wouldn't mind a posting overseas sometime, but DH veto'd that :(

Canada is a huge country and things can be very different between regions (jobs, culture, schooling, etc). Do some research into the regions/cities that you are thinking about. French is mandatory in Quebec, but nowhere else. That said, you can always put your kids into French Immersion (early or late) and give them the opportunity to learn to be bilingual. 

There is also a Canadian Scary Mommies thread under Real Life Connections. You can always post a question on there and chances are someone is from that area.
  • eappleeapple
    I'm from Niagara Falls and I think if you're motivated then work isn't a problem to get here. And by motivated I mean you don't expect a job to just fall into your lap like they do out west. We have a lot of tourism so there are jobs pertaining to that we also have some unions (dan is a part of the Millwrights) and they seem to always be looking for new apprentices. I am a self employed cleaner and there is no shortage of work there. I am currently at my max for clients. I may be bias but I love Canada with a passion. I especially love that I can shop over the boarder for cheap milk and then still have time to visit high park in Toronto. I feel like I'm in the perfect place to be!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • missmama5missmama5
    I live in Ontario. It's awesome :)
  • mommydeliriousmommydelirious
    Can't say much that hasbt been said. We're in the maratimes and its hard here! Even with Dh finishing school the job he got doesn't pay a ton.
    USA milk is awesome eh @eapple ? My dad brings it back for me when he works down state. If you move here be prepared to pay about $7 for milk and it comes in bags like huge mini sips :p
    Photobucket
  • notscary
    You pay $7 for milk @mommydelirious??? Holy crap! In Toronto its $4
  • Tranquil
    Come to Canada! I'm in Toronto, Ontario & I love it here i've travelled for work out west a lot, but I prefer Ontario. What does your DH do for a living?
    I love this country honestly Canada is amazing!
  • mommydeliriousmommydelirious
    notscary said:

You pay $7 for milk @mommydelirious??? Holy crap! In Toronto its $4

The bags yes. Not cheap here
    Photobucket
  • eappleeapple
    We pay $4 for milk too which is still expensive compared to $2 over the river. Especially when the girls were drinking it in bottles and cups, they do mainly water now thankfully. Plus dan is a milk addict so we go through a lot!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • Thorne
    I am going through the residency process now. My dh is Canadian and I am American. I have been here almost a year and I will have my application in by April. All in all, it will cost about 1500.00 to file. I will get my work permit in about 6-9mo. After and my residency about 3 yrs bc of processing times. I wont have medical care until my application is confirmed...which is tricky. I had a miscarriage last year and initially went to the E.R and I left bc they wouldn't even order a urine test without my having OHIP and I would've had to pay out of pocket then to see a doctor bc the doctors and hospitals work separately. I honestly felt like I had to choose between my health and finances and since I hadn't passed out from loss of blood, I decided not to incur an over 500 charge to be seen. I found a clinic in Toronto, eventually.

However, this info is based on my being sponsored by my dh. There are different types of applications, so I don't know if one is more expensive than the next.

We live about 20 miles east of Toronto and my dh found a job right away but it is tough here. My fil is still looking after 3 months.

But I love it here. My ds has health insurance which is a huge weight off my mind..its really beautiful, I'll be working by the end of the year. Its faster if you do the application process in the States but we didn't go that route. Milk, cheese and meat are hella -expensive but I also think its better quality and like everything else, you adjust to the prices of things...

Its definitely been the best move for us.
    There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you. – Maya Angelou.

If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don’t be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning ‘Good morning’ at total strangers. – Maya Angelou.
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    I want to echo what everyone else said, especially this: 
    "If you are interested in moving here (Canada) and settling in for good (i.e. getting citizenship) the Canadain government is very supportive of 'skilled workers and professionals' and 'Skille Trades' . Here is the website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp "

If you have a unique trade, skill or profession you can offer the country, citizenship isn't that difficult. However the federal government has in recent years decided to limit the amount of immigrants we allow, so the best way to do it would be to get a job first and have the employer sponsor the application. Although, since our population isn't reproducing as much as we need to keep up with the world average, immigration is still vitally important to Canada. 

There are a lot of really amazing unique areas in Canada, and as someone else said, the country is large and very diverse. Immigrating to Quebec is difficult as they have control over their own immigration and give a preference to people from French areas of the world. The West is booming for jobs at the moment, but it can have a very high cost of living depending on where you're looking. Every province has it's own unique things it offers. I love living in Ontario, personally, but if I had to move elsewhere in the country, British Columbia would be my next choice. 

Check out this page on the website that was posted earlier in the thread: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp  

community-manager

• KrabbyKay
    @undercoverbanana poutine =  :-&  HOW anyone thinks that is yummy is beyond me...NO it's NOT AT ALL the same as mashed potatoes and gravy!!!
  • notscary
    no @KrabbyKay, its not like mashed potatoes and gravy, its much much BETTER!!!!!
  • DemandaDemanda
    $7 for milk?!?! Jeebus. One more reason for you to move to ON @mommydelirious.

I probably wouldn't move to the Maritimes without a job already. I'd go to Alberta, personally. However, I have to agree with @eapple...people motivated to work in Ontario can find work, too. And I'm probably biased to my home province anyway. But from what I know, Alberta's where it's at for easy job opportunities. And by easy, I mean easy to get a job, the work itself isn't so easy.

We have a much better standard of living here than in the US, I say go for it.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • Marley25Marley25
    I lived out east for a bit and had my kids out their and while the East cost provinces have more social programs, some groceries are a little more expensive. I like that now being back in ontario I'm close enough to the border to do some shopping now and then. I would do a few trips out here first to see. Check out the job bank for a snapshot of the jobs available. When I read the post on some of you guys having to choose health care over food I am so thankful to be here.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

I'm just curious...do you all have to pay any medical bills in Canada? Just want to know how jealous I should be. lol

• fatchickonabikefatchickonabike

Yes, we have to pay medical bills. We just pay them in the form of taxes that are used to run the universal health-care system, instead of paying bills for our own individual care. Quebecers pay the highest taxes in all of North America and we get less for them every year. It's a misconception that Canada has free health-care. It's universal but definitely not free.

Also, drugs are not free unless you're hospitalized, so you need a group or private insurance plan through your employer to cover those. Here in Quebec we have a public drug-insurance plan for those without other coverage, but it still costs you several hundred bucks at tax time to take part in it. And most plans only cover 80% of drug costs, if that. The rest is out of pocket.

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • eappleeapple
    @saramommy yes we have to pay some medical bills out of pocket, the rest is covered by our taxes... No one really gets a free ride! But in this glorious country a man making 20k is just as entitled to a life saving medical procedure than a man making 100k. Ohip covers a lot of stuff but things like prescriptions you may have to pay for. If you want a medical service that ohip doesn't cover we have a back up called Trillium that you can plead your case to. They decide whether it makes sense to move forward. As far as I know you're on your own for dental care but most drug plans cover that. We have drug plans to help with dental, prescriptions, etc. For example I have ohip if I need to see a doctor or go to the er/clinic, if I needed something major like a new heart, liver, kidney they would help me out. I use my drug plan for my prescriptions, massage therapy, dental care, and biofeedback therapy. Our drug plans are pretty cheap because they don't have to cover the big tickets items that ohip already takes care of.
  • eappleeapple
    @fatchickonabike you beat me to it!

I've been told our taxes are significantly higher than most in the states, if that makes you feel at all better :)
    @eapple, thanks. Misery loves company!
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    Our taxes actually aren't that much higher, when I get to my computer I'll post the best breakdown of US and Canadian taxes that I've found. Also we don't have to pay for health insurance, premiums and deductibles on top of taxes, so that's also a benefit.

community-manager

• SaraMommySaraMommy

Thanks for the information @eapple and @fatchickonabike

I was just curious because I have heard about Canada having a better health care system than the US, but I didn't know much more than that! It just makes me sad to hear about people not being able to get medical help here or if a child (or anyone) has cancer and their health insurance maxes out at a certain amount. Something needs to change.

• eappleeapple
    @Canadianmama do you mean on sales tax, income tax, or both? I was referring to income tax but it's just hear say so again I've only heard that it's much higher. I would find it very interesting if our income tax is relatively close! if that's the case how can they justify charging sooo much for healthcare!? Canada's grass is looking greener and greener :)
  • eappleeapple
    @Canadianmama that is incredible! Something I never would have thought! Thx for the link c:

• Marley25Marley25
    We also pay a huge tax on gasoline . That goes into the pot too!
    Oh, God, gas prices. I forgot about those...
  • AlbertaMomAlbertaMom
    @fatchickonabike I got gas for $.88 yesterday. I almost took a stroke it was so cheap.
  • 456Imamom
    @AlbertaMom Really!!!!! It's sad when I'm happy to see it below $1.20/L...
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    waaaaaaait a minute. Gas is $.88????

What's the exchange rate? I just paid $3.20 US dollars per gallon :$
  • 456Imamom
    today the exchange rate is something like $1 CAD = $1.015 USD
  • 456Imamom
    So, one US gallon costs about $4.67 (assuming it is $1.20/L CAD)
    thank you ladies for somefood for thought. i will be showing this to dh. he thinks immigrating will be a walk in the park. i think it will be alot of work for me and pretty easy for him lol.
  • MouseMouse
    @albertamom I filled up in Nisku yesterday and saw gas was .87.  I should have gone home and got some jerry cans & filled them up too lol
    Don't outsmart your common scense
  • AlbertaMomAlbertaMom
    @mouse ahhhh that is nuts!
    If you do move here, make sure you get private health insurance to cover the first few months here. Health-care doesn't kick in immediately, so if you don't have Blue Cross or something to tide you over and you need medical care, you'll be on the hook for the cost.
  • 2callmemommy2callmemommy
    I have no advice but I live about 45 minutes or so from the canadian boarder and every restaurant here sells poutine. My husband love the stuff...me I'm not so fond of it.