I am so ashamed of my city.
  • irishlassirishlass
    A while ago I posted about the riots in my city. 
    They are getting so much worse and intense. I didnt leave the house on Friday. I am so sick of this. 
    I just thought I would let you all know whats going on. Its started to make global news too, not just national. 
    In the following video (i havent watched it with sound) @eapple probably wont recognise, @littletalks might, but its VERY near my house. You both have been on this road. If you know my address you can look up how close it is. Im just lucky that I live down a little hill and I cant hear the water canons, but I can hear the sirens. And again, I am SO glad that guns arent legal. Otherwise the death toll would be obscene by now. We are going back to the dark ages when illegal guns were rampant with the paramilitary organisations in this country and people were brutally tortured and shot. 
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • irishlassirishlass
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • irishlassirishlass
    I USED to identify myself as a member of this protestant 'community'. 
    But these assholes do NOT speak for ME. They are thugs and kids. 
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    what was the protest for???????
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • MegsueMegsue
    I wish I could come rescue you and your little man for a while @irishlass. I think I'd return you home...if I don't just decide to keep you ;)

>:D<
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    What are they rioting about?!
  • irishlassirishlass
    @schweddyballs I am going to try and put this simply without all the ridiculous history! 

The city is 'divided'. Protestants in the east (identify as british- and support the union with the mainland) and Catholics in the west (identify as irish- dont support the union and want a united Ireland)

For years the country was a warzone. with catholics and Protestants fighting constantly. They formed military style groups- basically terrorist groups. 

Recently the country has been moving forwards and  political parties that represent both sides are in govt together, which is fab! 
    However, as our country is part of the UK, we fly the British flag, the union jack, on our city hall. Makes sense, right? 
    Not to the Catholic political party. They said that it was offensive to the people who identify as irish in the country, and so they said it should be taken down completely. A vote was taken within the govt in Northern Ireland, and they decided that the flag would be taken down and it would only be flown on certain days. 
    The Protestants are furious, and say the flag should be left there. Catholics are provoking the anger, naturally. 
    So some protests started. Peaceful protests. people were standing at city hall with their own flags, totally peacefully. Then thugs got involved. and those terrorist paramilitaries (who never totally disarmed) have got involved. They know how to draw attention to themselves, and so the police have been more heavy handed than they maybe needed to be, because they know what to expect. 
    The peaceful protests are being quashed with brutal police force and that is angering the Protestants, who are becoming more violent, lashing out against police and their own communities. the Catholics are physically provoking the situation by coming to protests and supporting the police, resulting in riots. 
    Children have been arrested as young as 12. 
    Buildings are being destroyed with petrol bombs and bricks and public transport has ground to a standstill soo many times because the roads are having to be closed because of the amount of people. 

I cant figure out what a resolution would be now. The flag cant go back up because then it sends the message that violence gets results. The flag cant stay down because the violence will increase. 
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Fly both flags on their own pole?

The Troubles.

*sigh*

>:D< @irishlass

"I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • momma2A
    Wow this would be so scary! Is there somewhere you could go for safety?

Forgive me I've never experienced riots here, do they go 24/7? I remember you saying a while back these were going on so I assume they do. I would be running and hiding! Please stay safe.
  • missmama5missmama5
    I've seen some of this on the news in passing. You & little B are always in my thoughts,I hope everyone grows up and gets a clue soon. Hugs.
  • TorturedbyTWINSTorturedbyTWINS
    I vote for a new flag that represents a peaceful Ireland with British colors to appease everyone.  No one should get hurt over a flag.  In America every state has a flag, the South has a flag, and our country has the flag.  American flags fly highest and state flags underneath.  You could fly both.  Dual flag poles?  I wish you could just vacation over in the states until this is resolved.  It's scary :-(

• GypsyMamaGypsyMama
    I'm so sorry you're living in an unsafe place. I've been in a place I didn't feel safe with drive by shootings and drug deals. It eats at you. I don't know that answers either. The religious positions are so intense and deep seated. How do you find a middle ground? We still have towns, a few states and people flying the Confederate flag in the US and they weren't even alive when that war was fought. Do you think a better economy with more opportunities would help? What does flying the British flag represent for people who are angry? What is it taking away from them? What does it give the people who are okay with it?
  • AAA08
    I've read a lot about the troubles and follow it here and there. You're right in Belfast, correct? Scary stuff, and I will be thinking of you and your little one.
  • irishlassirishlass
    @AAA08 yeah, in Belfast. Thankyou! 

@Gypsymama it is almost impossible to find the middle ground. The Protestants feel that the flag should be up because it represents their british identity. From a Protestant point of view, there have been lives lost so that we could fly this flag. The Protestant community has been shamed for years, and the catholic hunger strikers (look them up) have been hailed as heroes, whereas the protestant young men who fought in the war are not recognised. Remembrance day is very commonly known for a day when Catholics are disrespectful. Its a resentment that runs deep. Usually found in people who have a rather small view of the world, but I understand it. 

@TorturedbyTwins @MarySunshine, Yeah, it is scary :( The geographical fact is that Northern Ireland has NOTHING to do with the Republic of Ireland. If we were to fly the tricolour (irish flag) it wouldn't make any sense. Its like saying, oh, some Japanese people live in NI, lets put the Japanese flag at our city hall. Our country is British. We are part of the United Kingdom. The Union Jack is our flag! 
    The Republic has an entirely different government, a different currency! 

@momma2A they arent going on 24/7, but there are protests every day. They never end happily, but they dont always end in a huge riot. The past 4/5 days it has been a big riot every day. 

@missmama5 have you seen some on the news over there?? wow. I didnt realise it had reached USA. 

Our police are pretty good, and I cant really leave because B has school just round the corner. It is safe during school hours. I just wouldnt bring B out after about 4pm. 
  • irishlassirishlass
    Thankyou all btw.!!!!
    And I guess designing a new flag is out...

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • irishlassirishlass
    @marysunshine yeah. The UK has one flag. We are part of that union. We gotta fly that flag! 
  • missmama5missmama5
    @irishlass I'm in Canada eh ;) yes if I watch national news it covers some if what's happening. I always think of you when I see it.
  • AloneOverseasAloneOverseas
    If NI isn't really part of Ireland (I don't get that), then maybe it needs to be renamed?? Called something to do with Britain and then it's a non-issue? Lol. I know, not really funny.

We are part of the British Commonwealth (like Canada and Australia) but have our own flag which uses British colors (and looks almost exactly like Australia's, just added a star). We also have a Maori flag and there are die hard Maori who believe their flag should be our national flag. There has been lots of talk about adopting a new flag, totally redesigned, but thankfully no riots over it.

Just seems so petty(and immature) for a country to fight over a flag. There are so many more important things that need attention, I'm sure. Keep safe, @irishlass! Or come to NZ! :)
    I love purple; I love cats. Imagine if cats were purple ...
  • irishlassirishlass
    @AloneOverseas its not part of ireland! The Island is called 'Ireland' there are two countries on it; The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. We have different currency. We are totally different countries. Just very close together! 
    Oh! I had no idea! Lol. Guess I need to brush up on my geography and history! ;)
    I guess I don't get it...but like someone above stated each US state has it's own flag which flies below the American flag.

@aloneoverseas The issue runs deeper than the flag...it's religious, cultural, political conflict. The flag is the tip of the iceberg.

Ya ... I knew religion also played into it a lot (and has for a long time) but honestly did not realize all of Ireland isn't one country! (Duh, I'm an idiot! Lol). But I also don't get why people can't let others practice the religion they prefer. Live and let live. And of course that's why the Pilgrims left England and relocated in the US, over religious freedom, so I do get how it divides countries. But it's so unnecessary (IMO). *shrugs*
  • irishlassirishlass
    yeah! It is all completely unnecessary :(
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Agree to disagree is something no one sees. It's my way or the high way me mine my way sad so sad . Come to the US we will love you
  • OpheliaOphelia
    Love you @irishlass you and B have been on my mind
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • irishlassirishlass
    Thankyou @ophelia xx
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Well.. I get to see this from (literally) the other side. Yeah you're part of the UK. But half of your population (including my inlaws) identify as Irish. Now I don't really care either way since I personally think we'd be better off all being part of the UK, our country is too fucking stupid to rule themselves (welcome back Fianna Fáil!), but people's heritage is completely tied up with what side their ancestors fought on and that's why they identify themselves as British or Irish. So if you were on the other side of the tracks you'd be calling yourself Irish and that's just the way it is, we can't dismiss their self identities.

Also, the Union Jack is only flown on special days in the UK. So that's what they want to do with Belfast. There's no need to have it there all the time, and if its only flown on the queens birthday and all that shit in England then why should belfast be any different? Such a stupid thing for those little scumbags to be upset over.
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Hugs to you @irishlass and @littletalks!

I hope it's all over very quickly for you and B!
  • Lakegirl34
    It's so scary how violence breaks out and spreads so quickly. Sending protective vibes your way!
  • 456Imamom
    @irishlass I am always saddened when I hear about violence erupting in Northern Ireland :(

I'm in Canada, so we do hear a little about other common wealth (and international) news. I was so happy that the looooong history of violence between catholics and protestants had calmed, and that the paramilitary groups had disarmed (or were supposed to have) and that political solutions had taken the lead.... I'm so sorry to hear that protests are turning in to riots. Hugs for you, you little one, and your whole community. It's so sad that the younger generation are getting exposed to the violence ....again. 
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Don't feel too bad; stupid petty shit happens everywhere. Believe me, I know what it's like to live in a place whose politics drive you batty!
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
    @irishlass ... For the first time in a long time I watched the news tonight. Within the first five minutes the story of the East Belfast riots covered our screen. The report said it's been going on for six weeks now and said it was about the number of days they fly the Union Jack flag, like @littletalks said. So, so sad
  • irishlassirishlass
    From what I understand, the flag flies on govt buildings only on cerain days, ie queens birthday. Buildings like houses of parliament and buckingham palace. The anger comes because it flies everywhere else on town halls.
    The anger also comes because it was brought up by sinn fein, who are working towards a united ireland, and because the people had no say. The party who was elected to represent east belfast didn't speak for the people of east belfast.
    Also that the protestants of east belfast take a huge amount of pride in the flag and what it means to them.
    Although, like I said. I got the protests at the beginning. I understood the frustration. I don't understand the violence.

@littletalks just for the record, I technically don't identify as protestant because I am not religious. I CERTAINLY don't identify as loyalist. I do identify as unionist, like you!
    I love the diversity in ni, and although my heritage is british, I have no issues saying that I am irish (as you can see from my name!) I love living on the island of ireland and I love the irish heritage. I am completely at home in the heart of donegal. I don't love living in belfast right now though :(
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Please be safe! Big, big hugs!   >:D<
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I'll be praying for an end to the violence. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • shate98shate98
    Stay safe. I saw the riots on the news and thought of you.

10 yrs ago when I was in Ireland I saw bumper stickers everywhere saying "26+6=1" (I have those numbers right?) so I learned then all about it.

I just hope your people can come to some kind of accord
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • eappleeapple
    This hurts me because it doesn't represent the Ireland I went to visit. Your country is lovely and should act so! I know you're a smart lady but stay extra safe I need a place to crash if I visit again ;)
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • irishlassirishlass
    I am being extra careful! Last night tewo buses were hijacked. These morons are ruining their own community. That meant that NO buses went out east at all. They refused, so I had to get a taxi home which was nice and expensive!
  • 456Imamom
    Oh @irishlass I'm so sorry those idiots are ruining your community :(
    Hugs to you and please keep being extra careful! 
    @shate98 I've seen those stickers around my hometown in NJ. A good chunk of the Jersey shore is of Irish descent, myself included. The desire for a "united Ireland" is far reaching apparently.

• GypsyMamaGypsyMama
    Both my exH and DH have Irish surnames and lineage albeit several generations back. They both have a weird fondness for breakfast. That's an annoying threadjack. But anyway how are you? Are you staying safe. Is the bus route still shut down or did they get it opened back up?
  • irishlassirishlass
    @gyspymama there has been snow here, so riots have slowed down, but protests havent started. 
    The buses have diverted a different diversion route, which is actually more convenient for me! 
    I couldnt get to work all week last week though. I felt really bad, now the snow is really bad, well its not, but 2 inches of snow and the whole country grinds to a standstill! What happens here is it snows, then rains, then freezes, then snows, then freezes, rains, snows and rains then freezes, and so everything is obscenely slippy! 
  • TheHeadacheslayer
    @Irishlass I would keep you and your son here!!

I am praying for peace and for your safety 
  • irishlassirishlass
    @theheadacheslayer thankyou! It seems that the very cold weather and snow has quietened down the loonies. I hope they stay away!!
  • eappleeapple
    That's great news! I hope the snow and cold keep them at bay. >:D<
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • BettyboBettybo
    I hear ya irishlass, im from Belfast its all kicked off in my mums street.
    So glad I live in Liverpool now, absolute embarrassment.
    Harry Ray - 10th June 2013 <3<br />
    We all got old at breakneck speed, slow it down - go easy on me...
  • irishlassirishlass
    @horacesmum whereabouts in belfast!? Its SO exciting to have another girl from belfast on the boards!! But also, well done for getting out ;) 
  • BettyboBettybo
    my mum lives on newtownards rd, i grew up on the ormeau :) youd be amazed at how much the rest of the world doesnt care! makes all this seem all the more ridiculous x
  • irishlassirishlass
    @horacesmum no way! I live just off the n'ards rd now! Do you know ballyhackamore?
    Its SUCH a small world!

And yep, the whole thing is ridiculous.
  • BettyboBettybo
    haha yeah I used to live in ballyhack by the bp garage couple of years ago :D I went to grosvenor lol x