Teens learning to drive
  • WillileeWillilee
    Anyone doing this right now? DSD16 has been driving since the beginning of summer. She had this really weird way of turning corners where she kind of shuffled the wheel through her hands. It was stressing me out because it looks super-awkward plus she has to take corners at negative 2mph. So I taught her the hand-over-hand method and she was much better, she said she was more comfortable also.

So FFW to this week and the behind-the-wheel portion. The instructor jacked her up and told her my way, the way probably the VAST MAJORITY of us turn corners, is not acceptable and she will fail if she doesn't use the shuffling thing. So we're back to that and me trying not to scream in frustration every time we turn a corner. Now she's worried about her class driving test on Monday.

WTF is up with the shuffle? I cannot IMAGINE it is a proven "better method". She said all of them have trouble with the turns. Did anyone else learn this and I am just old? It looks ridiculous.
  • WillileeWillilee
    Also, the instructor rag told her, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. NO EXCEPTIONS. Well bitch, I drive a stick shift so I would say I only have one hand on the wheel 50% of the time. Give me a break.
  • WabiSabiLife

They always instruct you NOT to cross 12 o'clock anymore (no hand over hand) and never 10 &2. Why? Because of airbag deployment. Should you have an accident and your hands are up higher than 9 & 3, you will punch yourself in the face and either blacken your eye, break your nose, or break your front teeth. And if you're wearing a cocktail ring? I don't even want to imagine.

But I only ever drive stick either (I mean a car, perverts) and I think that makes us a special catagory of Bad Ass :)

• undercoverbanana
    Good luck. Just went through this with my dd. She still scares the shit out of me.
    i'm nekkid.
  • mommyof2_76
    I didn't learn that way but I do know that's how they teach them now.
  • WillileeWillilee
    Well I guess I'm fooked. Good thing I only wear a wedding ring.
  • KatDragonKatDragon
    5 on the floor myself... how does that shuffle thing work? I have to teach my ds and don't want him to fail the behind the wheel. Please? :-*
    "Fantastic!" 9th Doctor
  • French_momFrench_mom
    Yeah.. I had the knocking myself in the face cause of air bag deployment. Fucking ouch. But I use my trucker daddys way of turning the wheel : one hand palm open. Wich is a nono for driving instructor. Good luck to her and you
    It is for me to know and you to dot dot dot.
  • GypsyMamaGypsyMama
    I drive with one hand only unless it snowy. Just teach her what the driving instructor needs to see and the reteach her. It's a short phase in the whole scheme of things. It's like having to take a classical music class in college when you're getting a degree in Forestry or some such. And the best thing my dad did for me was to take me out on dirt roads where there were no cars where I could practice a- slamming on the brakes (without toasting the tires) b- turning and turning and turning c- backing up without running into the ditch d- speeding up and slowing down. If you drive a stick you know how to drive with your butt - you know you feel when to shift rather than see or hear it. Teach her to drive with her butt but get her somewhere that she can become one with the machine without risk to other drivers. It will do SO much for her timing and self confidence.
  • BankMom
    I think all of you stick shift drivers are show offs... But I can bunny hop one for MILES like a boss! I actually made one of the kids barf with my bad ass skills :- D
    Anyway, if that's the worst thing they teach her you are lucky! DS19 had some weird braking shit going on and it drove me nuts. They were also taught to "accelerate quickly" which meant he was peeling out in the Kia LOL
    "...and when her feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh, shit! She's awake!"
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    My Grand and Grand niece both turn 16 this yr . Auntie and Grand will be on her knees this yr believe me . Much white light
  • MistressHeidiMistressHeidi
    My dd17 took her test last year, she has only had her license since last May. I could not stomach teaching her. I tried once. It about drove me crazy. I needed a drink and sedatives afterwards. She took the driving school and I had my dad and bf teach her.

Her driving still makes me crazy. Good luck to anyone who has to teach their kids.
  • TtevisTtevis
    My 18 yo took her test last year and blamed failing on the lady giving the test. Ya I know better, finally past it this year, but her driving scares me. Hopefully she'll get better over time.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers

My dd17 took her test last year, she has only had her license since last May. I could not stomach teaching her. I tried once. It about drove me crazy. I needed a drink and sedatives afterwards. She took the driving school and I had my dad and bf teach her.

Her driving still makes me crazy. Good luck to anyone who has to teach their kids.

Yep, this is me too with my Ds17

Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • forkinthehead
    15 years ago I did. My memory is a bit foggy. One thing I do remember was taking my daughter to downtown Olympia to do some practice driving. And I the teacher, the adult and the one that should know better went the wrong way down a one way street. Thank gawd my daughter did much better than me...her mother.

There are times that I have wished that the driving age was older. There are so many driving styles. Folks are too busy yapping on their phones, arguing or just not paying attention. Teens don't have much experience behind the wheel to be driving with the rest of us that have already thrown the rules of the road away. Good grief we are some awful drivers.z
  • GypsyMamaGypsyMama
    I thought I'd post the link to a post I wrote on my blog about driving in the mud. I taught this kid how to drive:)

http://chardalescuriousjourney.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-best-mud-driving-story-ever-monroe.html?m=1
  • WillileeWillilee
    @GypsyMama, that is AWESOME!

@basebitch59, it's this weird thing where their hands are at 9 and 3 and they don't move their hands, just the wheel. They kind of push/pull the wheel around in little bits. I tried it on the way to work and if speed is more than 20 I am not smart enough - or coordinated enough - to do it. At least it slows them down significantly on the corners. I will have to remember not to honk at the people in front of me creeping around corners - could be one of those poor bastards.
  • WillileeWillilee
    @GypsyMama, that is AWESOME!

@basebitch59, it's this weird thing where their hands are at 9 and 3 and they don't move their hands, just the wheel. They kind of push/pull the wheel around in little bits. I tried it on the way to work and if speed is more than 20 I am not smart enough - or coordinated enough - to do it. At least it slows them down significantly on the corners. I will have to remember not to honk at the people in front of me creeping around corners - could be one of those poor bastards.
  • KatDragonKatDragon
    I lasted 10 minutes the very first time my son got behind the wheel. We'll see how long I last the next time.
    "Fantastic!" 9th Doctor
  • loveless
    In the process of teaching my daughter now...it scares the crap out of me most times :)  The best was last week when I decided to let her drive to school. It is still dark when she goes to school and as soon as we pull out on the main road a monsoon starts and she is yelling "I can't see anything!!"  meanwhile I'm yelling "watch out for that car beside you! now you're driving on the curb!"  My heart rate did not return to normal for 3 hours and I really needed a strong drink and some strong sedatives!
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    DSS is 15 and was supposed to get Driver's Ed this semester.  He didn't, which means that he has to wait until after he's 16 to get his permit, or we have to pay $250 for the class.  In our state (NM), if you're under 18, you must be enrolled in or have completed a very specific driver's ed course, including an in-depth DUI and Defensive Driving course.  DH has taken him out to the fairgrounds a few times to practice driving.  He does really well.  I just wish the rules here weren't so ridiculous. 

Even if he goes to his mom and gets his permit and license in Kentucky, NM STILL requires that he take the course to get his license here if he's under 18.  Crazy stuff.
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    DD15.5 got behind the wheel once, that was enough for her. she was going about 2 miles per hour squeeling like she was gonna die. sigh. when she did turn she didnt move her hands. lol it was like watching someone play nintendo and turning their hands with the remote white knuckled trying to make the character move. 
    I am me, and I am loved