Baby Shower question
  • JD_and_Nates_mommyJD_and_Nates_mommy

Ok here is the issue, both of my sisters are pregnant.  One of them, A, is 21 baby daddy is already out of the picture and she lives with mom and dad.  The other, E, is 30 married did it the right way blah blah blah.

Anywho, my little sister, A, wants to request that instead of cards people give books at the shower.  Big sister, E, thinks this is tacky.

Any thoughts?  Is asking for baby books instead of cards tacky or a great idea?  What would you think if you were invited to a shower that requested this?

• gramalibbygramalibby
    To start a library for the little on is a fabulous idea........books are the doorway to the world . Looooooove it
  • bendorbreak bendorbreak
    I love that idea!
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Books instead of gifts is fine, to request books AND a gift is, in fact, tacky.
  • WabiSabiLife

I don't think anyone should ever be mad about a book, but that is just me. And I agree, they are the doorway to the world.

That said, I think there is a right way and a wrong way to say you want a specific gift. "Books Requested" is not so hot, but "Books Welcome" (or something) is much more gentle. I think this is true for any gift giving occasion.

Is it possible that E is pissed at A for 'stealing her thunder' when E did it the 'right way'?

• LLBLLB
    Thinking $$ wise a book costs about the same amount as a card. Cards get kept for a few weeks (if that) then tossed in the trash. Or they get shoved in a memory box and never see the light of day again.

Books she can keep indefinitely.

So nope not tacky IMO! In fact I think it is a wonderful idea!
  • LLBLLB

Is it possible that E is pissed at A for 'stealing her thunder' when E did it the 'right way'?

I think @wabisabilife is probably right!

Your older sister did things the "right way" and is probably pissed that she is having to share the spotlight with the younger sister that did things "wrong". So no matter what the younger one does she must be doing that wrong as well.
  • shate98shate98
    I had a friend do that. I have to say that everyone ended up bringing a gift with a book AND a card. Because... the guests were concerned she would get duplicates, so didn't write in the books and just included a gift slip.

While I LOVE the idea of starting a library... it didn't work and I thought it was tacky. Esp since the good books can be 10 or 20 dollars. SO, she basically got double gifts. I'm actually not too fond of her so my book came from the dollar store and I wrote in it.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • BunnyBunny
    If there's a concern about book AND a gift, what if you add something on the invites "For everyone that brings a book for baby in place of a card get added for a door prize drawing!" or something similar maybe? I think books in place of cards is great! 
    Crazy? I was crazy once...they locked me in a room with no windows. That drove me nuts. Nuts! Squirrels eat nuts. They drive me crazy. Crazy! I was crazy once..
  • I think that is a great idea! It's wonderful to get kids interested in literature at an early age. I love this and don't think it's tacky at all.
  • mamamaybe
    I had a friend do this as well. Depends on the audience and how it is worded.... I do have to say that I loved going to a charity book sale and buying three books for the same amount as a card which would just get tossed.
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Bunny said:

If there's a concern about book AND a gift, what if you add something on the invites "For everyone that brings a book for baby in place of a card get added for a door prize drawing!" or something similar maybe? I think books in place of cards is great! 

I like this idea.  It says she would prefer a book instead of a card without being tacky about it, and it turns into a game for the guests who participate.  Lovely idea right there if you ask me.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • Marionettevie
    i have found some great "starter" books cheaper than some cards. i mean starter books because they are those toddler books, that are cardboard like and about 5 pages long.  the ones you basically start with. i think its a fantastic idea. although i didnt get many cards for my baby shower, everyone just brought me a present or food.

I am fairly certain this is exactly what the problem is o_O

I found a couple of poems that I thought would be super cute to include along with shower invits

One small request that won't be too hard 
    Please bring a book instead of a card 
    Whether Cat in the Hat or Winnie the Pooh 
    You can sign the inside cover with a note from you 
    Baby will become very smart, if my advice you do heed 
    If we begin early, he'll soon love to read

Or

I want to be a bright child
    As smart as I can be.
    That is why I'm hoping
    My mom will read to me.

If you plan to bring a card
    Please take another look.
    I would like to learn my ABC's
    From your favorite storybook

Please sign your name
    As your personal touch.
    Baby (last name) thanks you
    Beary, beary much

• PJSaregreatPJSaregreat
    My niece did this and I thought it was a great idea! She made sure though that people knew that it was ok to bring cheap dollar store type books because she knows how much books can cost (like the ones that have buttons for music and such). She also asked everyone to write a little something inside to her little guy. She wanted to start a library and wanted him to see how much he is loved by those around him. :)
  • SalllyWingo
    LLB said:

Thinking $$ wise a book costs about the same amount as a card. Cards get kept for a few weeks (if that) then tossed in the trash. Or they get shoved in a memory box and never see the light of day again.

Books she can keep indefinitely.

So nope not tacky IMO! In fact I think it is a wonderful idea!

I think that this is a great idea (that's the librarian coming out in me!)  That being said - is she expecting books AND gifts?  That may be viewed as "tacky".  A gf of mine had a "Book Party" for her DD's first bday.  The guests were requested to bring their favourite children's book with an inscription in lieu of gifts.  I thought that was a wonderful idea :)
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    I love the idea of books in lieu of gifts, as well. I just think that asking for both is in poor taste.

I have hosted a book shower for a friend, in fact, and made the invitations look like book jackets. On the front if the card it said, "Once Upon A Time" and the inside said, "there was a little boy without any books... Until his fairy godmothers came to a party and filled his life with their favorite stories."

The whole shower was fairy tale themed and so much fun.
  • eappleeapple
    I love this idea! For my sister's shower we said anyone who brought a pack of diapers with their gift would be entered into a draw for a bath and body works gift basket. Anyone who didn't want to didn't participate but some people brought more than one pack to be entered multiple times!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    We did this for my cousin's shower and she loved it.  I think it is a great idea, personally. 
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    Cost of a baby board book 1-5 bucks cost of a decent shower card 3-6 bucks I think I would rather by the book and if I wanted to spent 25 bucks on a collection type book then I would get a smaller gift. I do not think its tacky but a very sweet idea I just think big sis is pissy cuz she didnt think of it first
  • DemandaDemanda
    I think it's a fabulous idea!  Cards get thrown out, books are forever.  Ummm...children's books are generally less than $5, so I don't really see the big deal in doing that and a card as well.  I'd probably do both, or if I didn't want to, I'd probably buy a more expensive book. 

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • shate98shate98
    @stinkersmommy where are you buying cards? I usually spend .50-1 on cards...
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    mygo to shower gift is a Dr S book, baby vics, and a pack of size 2 diapers. got the book part from a cousin who did the book insead of a card. usually only costs me 25 bucks for the whole gift :)
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • anonymommy
    My sister is pregnant and wants to do the same thing.  I think it's a great idea and I like both of the poems you posted (might have to steal one in a few months!).  I agree with the ladies about keeping the books longer than the cards.  Cards are getting crazy expensive anymore, too, especially just to be thrown away.
  • Manders15Manders15
    I love that idea!!!! Especially since your sister wants to find a nice way to say just books, not both. Good for her
  • Kitty69Kitty69
    My niece did this for my daughters shower. It is an awesome idea, it isn't as if the guest of honor is requesting it, the hostess of the party is. 
  • warriormommy3warriormommy3
    i think its a great idea! cards can just be a waste since most ppl throw them out anyway...and she can start a little library... i think its fantastic
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

I also think this is a great idea!!! For just about the price of a card, you can get a book!! My sister did this for my baby shower and it was awesome!!!

We also did the diaper raffle for my little sister's shower...really good idea for a single mom! It really helped her stock up on diapers!

• AllOrNothingAllOrNothing
    We did this for my friend only we asked people I to bring their fave kids book....much loved dog eared version or new, but to include their reason why it was their fave...everyone loved it & it was very personal &the lovely. Not tacky at all.
  • AllOrNothingAllOrNothing
    Sorry for typos, typing on phone while nursing :
  • undercoverbanana
    I always buy books for babyshowers and the first couple birthdays.
    i'm nekkid.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    I am planning a baby shower for my cousin... this is a great idea! I'm totally stealing it!!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Love! And I like the 1st poem.
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • 2callmemommy2callmemommy
    I likd the first poem too.
  • pennypenny
    I've been to several that did that, including my own. I love reading the inscriptions to my son and talking about the person who gave the book. The ones from the grandparents are amazing keepsakes.