Quitting smoking
  • sarabellsarabell
    I am trying to quit smoking. I need to so bad. It's expensive and stinky and not good for my health. Anyone know the best way to kick the habit? I'm open to pretty much anything. I'm also ebf so no meds.
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Allan Carr's "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" is a miracle worker. My dad quit after reading it and he was a heavy smoker for over 30 years. That was almost 10 years ago and he hasn't touched one since! I quit cold turkey myself then found out I was pregnant shortly afterwards so never went back on them. You can do this! I loved smoking and now I can't stand the smell.
  • sarabellsarabell
    @littletalks is that a book?
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Yep here's a bit about him http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Carr

Just searching him, there seems to be a bunch of file sharing sites with the book for free, you might not even have to pay for it. My dad saved all the money he would've spent on cigarettes for a couple years and bought a sailboat! Having a goal like that might help too, or even just keeping the money in a jar and seeing how much you're really spending. It'll blow your mind!
  • Matt115
    Try quitting cold turkey. or pick up a healthier habit to do when you are craving. I know people who started carrying around hard candy and ate one every time instead of smoking and they were able to quit. Maybe give that a shot. Good luck!
  • sarabellsarabell
    Thanks @matt115
  • FreeToBeMee
    Oh i want to quit so bad too. And there is not a bone in my body that thinks I actually can. 
  • usernameusername
    Hypnotism? I've heard alot of success stories...
  • SalllyWingo
    You have to truly want to quit to be successful.  I just stopped, and that worked for me.
  • beambeam
    Cold turkey and candy did it for me... heavy smoker for 20 years... almost 3 years clean.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • 4duxinarow4duxinarow
    I quit too. It's been rough. I use the gum and it has helped. Been cigarette free since the New Year. Just remember giving in only means you messed up. It does not mean you failed. Keep at it, you can definitely do this.
  • sarabellsarabell
    @littletalks thank you! it took me a couple days to check out allen carr but it seems like good information  ill see if his book is on a website i use for free books, self help books usually are free! 
    @freetobeme i am worried about the same thing  i enjoy smoking but i know i must quit :(
    @username i need to check with my insurance and see if they will cover it. dh did a program for quitting before we got together. 
    @beam what candy did you use?
    @4duxinarow how do you keep yourself from caving in? 
  • sarabellsarabell
    @littletalks thank you! it took me a couple days to check out allen carr but it seems like good information  ill see if his book is on a website i use for free books, self help books usually are free! 
    @freetobeme i am worried about the same thing  i enjoy smoking but i know i must quit :(
    @username i need to check with my insurance and see if they will cover it. dh did a program for quitting before we got together. 
    @beam what candy did you use?
    @4duxinarow how do you keep yourself from caving in? 
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    My hub is quitting too. He's on the patch BUT what's helping him the most is the quit smoking app he downloaded. It's awesome. Whatever you decide, good luck! It's worth it!!!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • beambeam
    Candy - I went sugarfree (although I wouldn't recommend that) or honey based.... anything that you can suck on and won't add to many calories - you will likely gain weight regardless so don't stress about it and try to have a diet or walking plan in place.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • BankMom
    @sarabell - thank you for starting this thread! I hadn't thought of using an app to quit and I might just give this a try!
    "...and when her feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh, shit! She's awake!"
  • sarabellsarabell
    @sahm1020 i tried the patch, it gave me the worst nightmares! ill check on apps for it and see what i can find. which did your dh use?
    @beam how much weight exactly? lol 
    @bankmom youre welcome! 
  • beambeam
    Well everyone is different... I had a lot going on - pregnant at the time (miscarried) and a hypothyroid condition that started, so for me I gained a lot in a very short time (and obviously not all due to quitting) but most gain a bit.... just something to be aware of. Instead of putting a cigarette in the mouth one compensates with food so make heathy or low cal choices (carrots, celery, the least sugary candies)
  • Chocoholic
    @sarabell, first of all KUDOS to you- you are taking a huge, healthy step.

I can't admit to being much of a smoker- I only smoked for a few months, but when I decided to quick- I just quit cold turkey (and started sucking on ricola cough drops).

I also took up walking everyday, so that also helped.

Go you!
    The answer is chocolate. I don't care what the question is.
  • BankMom
    @sarabell - okay, I've downloaded an app! Wish me luck! I'll totally give you credit if it works ;-)

@Willilee - if you run into this thread please note that I'm not telling anyone IRL in case it's an epic fail lol
    "...and when her feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh, shit! She's awake!"
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @sarabell DH is using iQuit. He loves it. Also, the patch gives him nightmares and sweats (and crabbiness and nausea and headaches lol) Poor guy is miserable. But he keeps telling himself it's not worse than cancer. And it will be over soon for sure.
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • sarabellsarabell
    @sahm1020 i downloaded quit with me, it just shows how much it costs to smoke, which i already knew. ill look at iquit  @bankmom ok lol let me know how it goes  if you need any help pm me your number and we can hellp each other. 
    @beam ok ill keep veggies in mind  my mom says carrots are a good choice for quitting.

@chocoholic thank you, i wish i never started lol!
  • AlwaysLearnin

First thing I did was monitored when I wanted the smoke. The I started to change my routine. After a meal was hardest or while talking on the phone. So after meals I would clean kitchen, find a game on the computer or something to do with my hands. When I was on the phone I would put in on speaker and fold laundry, do food prep for next meal like chop veggies. I found ways to occupy the times that usually most difficult. I drank a lot of water. Chewed on straws and gum. Used Vitamin B to help with the stress. When cravings were really bad I would clean or sit with daughter and play legos. FOr me it was all about replacing th eactivity until the nicotine craving got better and I had more self confidence to not have a cigarette. I also did not have any, anywhere around to make them available and I would not shop when the cravings were high. Mostly I guess I just had to make myself forget that I was a smoker, and this is coming from someone that really enjoyed it. I had to have a good reason why. "I need to be around for my family." That was my why.... 

• AlwaysLearnin

Finally got on Sarabell.... you know who I am...  :)

• sarabellsarabell
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    No real advise to give just wanted to cheer you ladies on !!!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • sarabellsarabell
    Thank you @momofdbb