Sore Throat Remedies *UPDATE* Stinky Tea is the winner!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    Tis the season for coughs & sniffles & sore throats!

I have been fighting the flu for 9 days now. I have already been to the dr & loaded up on meds because I couldn't breathe at all. I have been coughing & hacking up shit non stop. Fevers, chills, aches & pains. But out of all of it, my throat has me in tears. Pathetic, I know. I have tried everything I can think off. Hot tea...green, chai, peppermint (yuck). About to try chamomille. Honey. Popcicles. Ice cubes. Ice cream. Guzzling water. Codeine cough syrup. Aleve. Motrin. Vicoden. Percocet. (Not all of those together!) Nothing is helping :( I have my SO going after some numby spray right now.

My throat feels so dry even though I am drinking at least a pint of water every hour. And every sip brings tears to my eyes. Like someone shredded it with a cheese grater. I don't see any white spots or patches that would indicate strep or thrush. I've just been coughing a lot. My voice is gone.

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious here that will alleviate this pain!
  • shate98shate98
    1. hugs

2. have you seen a doctor?

3. ricola original cough drops are my favorite sore throat.coughing/decongestant. but you are so sick that I can't say that they would be much good for you at this point. My other fav is honey and lemon- not fake lemon flavored tea. hot water with real lemon, honey and no sugar.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • undercoverbanana
    Yes, hot lemonade with real lemon and honey. Cepacol throat lozenges. Advil. Sleep with a heating pad, even if you are feverish. Alka seltzer cold and flu caplets. Hot soup. A hot toddy with spiced rum, peach tea and honey and go to bed. Or at least snuggle up on the couch with blankets and fuzzy socks.
    i'm nekkid.
  • karzeroookarzerooo
    Have you tried mixing some honey with lime/lemon? Take about a tablespoon of honey & squeeze half the lemon to it and mix it up and swallow it down! Maybe gargling with warm salt water may help as well.

So sorry you are feeling so horrible. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    On a mission to spread awesomeness wherever I go and help people reach their goals to live a happy, healthy and fulfilling life!
    www.karzerooo.com
    www.facebook.com/karzerooo
  • SammieSammie
    Spoonful of honey!! It will coat your throat and offer relief instantly. Makes it easier to eat, drink and sleep too. This is my go to, along with hot tea w/lemon, when I have a sore throat.

community-manager

• chaosmomchaosmom
    @shate98 @undercoverbanana
    Ok how much lemon for a regular size coffee mug? One? That sounds really yummy actually.

No, I haven't been to the dr specifically for the sore throat. He knew it hurt but was more concerned about getting my oxygen level back into the 90's. Go figure.

Hot toddy. Hmmm, maybe before bed. I have so much crap in my system right now. I'll let a little wear off. I have no clue how I'm still standing actually. Or if any of this looks like it was typed by a drunken whore.

The numby throat spray burned like a bitch. And then it helped! Blessed, glorious relief!!! For maybe 5 minutes.
  • forkinthehead
    @chaosmom call your Dr you might need lidocaine. He can call in a script for you. It will help numb since you are so sore. I think you are past home remedies giving you relief. I do hope you get to feeling better. Flu hit at my home too...
  • DemandaDemanda
    Stinky Tea!! I promise it works like a charm.

Take half a lemon, a couple garlic cloves, grate up some fresh ginger, and some honey and steep it in boiling water for 5 minutes or so. It's better than it sounds and it works like awesomesauce!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • shate98shate98
    As much lemon as you want or can tolerate. I usually use the juice from one to two slices. You might want to start with that and the honey and see how you do before going whole hog with a whole lemon
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    Alright, warm salt water was bad! It made everything more dry.

Honey alone is not cutting it. That's my normal go-to.

I'm heading to the store. Going to try warm lemonade & stinky tea next. Something has to help!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    Just to update, especially since everyone seems to be sick:

Thank you all for your help!!! So I went to the store to pick up lemons, ginger & honey. I come back all ready to make @Demanda's Stinky Tea. Now everyone wants to know why I'm cooking Chinese food lol. They are begging me to put chicken & rice/noodles in it. Mouths are watering. I'm smacking them off with my spoon. It worked wonders. Finally, I wasn't crying over my throat agony. Still sipping on it's magical feel better properties btw.

I switched back & forth between that and @shate98/ @undercoverbanana's warm lemonade. That stuff was delicious!!! And definitely soothing too although it did make my mouth feel a little dry if I had more than one cup at a time.

And then after all this...white patches popped up on my tongue, roof of mouth, etc. Pretty sure it is thrush from the combo of albuterol & steroids but I'm heading back to the dr shortly. Time to move on to antibiotics so I can join the land of the living again.

Oh, and I found out that codeine makes me hallucinate & causes insane agitation/mood swings :-/ Really bad.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Sounds like strep throat to me. What you're doing is good, but antibiotics may be needed. Good luck, sweetie! I'd rather have just about any other kind of pain than a sore throat. It sucks.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • shate98shate98
    I agree with white spots that def sounds like strep. feel better!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    @fatchickonabike @shate98, I was just thinking thrush because it started patchy on my tongue, then went to the roof of my mouth. But maybe I just can't see it on my throat. Idk. I'll let the dr figure it out lol. It was hurting some kind of awful way before I saw the white though so strep would make sense.
  • CalliopemarieCalliopemarie
    @irishlass sore throat remedies!!
  • irishlassirishlass
    Thanks @calliopemarie! I have woken up feeling AWFUL today :( 

My throat feels how you are describing chaosmom, and I am just wanting to stay in bed :( I have to go look after a stack of kids tonight too! waahh! 

Im going to try all of these today! Not all the meds, just the natural stuff. 
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • CalliopemarieCalliopemarie
    you're welcome @irishlass !!
  • DemandaDemanda
    Glad it worked! I swear it's magic in a cup.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket