What have I gotten myself into? *update: they made a decision *
  • squishsquish
    I thought I was ready to be an adult and move ahead at work and applied for an open supervisor position. I got called for an interview today at 3. I'm so nervous. Now I'm flip flopping on whether or not I could do that job. I know my policy but I'm the youngest person here and, if I get the position, I would be supervising people who have been here longer than me.

Ugh, I know this would be great of I get it and if I don't, I'm ok with that too because I like what I do.

I just had to get this out in word vomit form so it doesn't come out as real vomit.

***Update****
    I got the position. My program manager til me before I left work today. She will officially announce it tomorrow.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Breathe !!! Slowly ! I have a feeling you will do great !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • beachmommybeachmommy

Good luck with the interview!

And try not to be so nervous - you know your job. It shows initiative to apply for a higher position, and it shows that you are loyal to your company by wanting to move up the ladder there.

As a high-level manager at my work, I am always impressed by the people who step up and want to take on more responsibility.  So, as you said - even if you do not get this specific job, just the fact that you are going for it will bode well for you in the future.

My beach is still Sandy....
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I'm currently being supervised by someone who hasn't been there as long as I have, and I'm fine with it. Why? Because I would rather piss on a spark plug than do his job. So don't assume people will resent you if you end up getting the position. Break a leg, sweetie!
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • squishsquish
    Thanks all for the support. I feel like I used to be so focused on my life plan when I was in college and now I doubt myself and my ability. I wish it was still scheduled for 10 am so i can get it out of the way buy it's been pushed to 3 because my program manager is sick.
  • CrashCrash
    You'll be fine, I know you will. At some point, as an adult, you will supervise people older than you. It's ok, most of the time they're ok with that. After all, they aren't the ones applying for this position. If you don't take chances, you know what happens. Nothing! Lol. So go out there, and rock that shit out!
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • squishsquish
    Well just finished the interview. Moved it up early again. Glad it's over. I think I did ok but I'm not sure. I always think the worst after interviews are over.
  • CrashCrash
    Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.
  • squishsquish
    @curious thanks
  • Lulu
    @squish don't forget a thank you note or e-mail!
  • ChibikoChibiko
    Have you heard anything?
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • squishsquish
    Not yet @chibiko. They have to go through references then they will call back for second interviews with the assistant director.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    I know how you feel @squish. Right now I am the temporary manager for the office until they hire and train a new one. I am younger than most of them too and also have been at the company 15 years less then a few. Even if you dont get the position, its shows initiative, and thats awesome. Good luck!!
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • squishsquish
    Thanks @purpleflowers. I'll keep you all updated.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    You are the one they need . Blessings on you, just remember Breath and Focus
  • squishsquish
    Second interview scheduled with the assistant director on Thursday. I so didn't think I would even get that far. Thank you all for your support.
  • Luvlyssa
    yay!!! congrats
    Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.
  • WinginItWinginIt
    If you don't update us by this evening, I will poke you in the eye.  
    As soon as you tell me where you find you.  

In hopes that you see this before you interview:  Good luck today!  Just know that even making it to the second interview is a win!
  • squishsquish
    @winginit I hope this update saves my eye. Though I hear the pirate look is in :ar!

2nd interview complete. They keep trying to convince me that I won't be able to leave my line position behind and be able to assume the role of supervisor in my coworkers' eyes. Thanks for making me doubt myself, management!

So the AD said maybe 2-3 more weeks before the final decision is made.
  • If you don't get it this time, keep applying for the positions. It's not experience or age that makes a good manager - it's the ABILITY TO MANAGE (duh)! 

And the next time that you get an opportunity to talk to your unfortunately unsupportive management, tell them that you know that you will be able to do it because *insert name of least-crappy supervisor* showed you the benefit of quality supervision. You'll know that your new position will require you to emulate that behavior and not get caught up in the little things around your old position. You'll know that your job is to be a good supervisor so that the next person on the line can do a good job in their position! 
  • squishsquish
    @notsupposedtobehere thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep it in mind.
  • WinginItWinginIt
    Ooh I like that "Showed me the benefit of quality supervision"  Good line!  I'm adding THAT my repertoire! 
  • squishsquish
    Update above
  • Chocoholic
    CONGRATS @squish  :D <:-P \m/
    The answer is chocolate. I don't care what the question is.
  • BeachyBeachy
    Whoo hoo! You got it!
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • pennypenny
    Congrats!
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    Congratulations!!
  • Manders15Manders15
    Woot!!!  You go girl!! <:-P
  • AAA08
    Yay!!!:)
  • squishsquish
    Thanks all for your support :)
  • OpheliaOphelia
    Yay! Congrats @squish!
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    Yay!! Congrats and tell the upper level haters to suck it!!!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    You are one awesome lady keep on keeping on
  • Lakegirl34
    Congratulations!
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Congratulations!!!
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • beachmommybeachmommy

That is awesome!  You are getting ALL KINDS of great stuff coming your way, lady!

Now go home and celebrate with some sparkling cider and nookie!

My beach is still Sandy....
  • CrashCrash
    Congratulations!!!! I knew you could do it. Never doubt yourself, you kicked some ass.  :-bd
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Congrats, and I'm sure you'll do just fine.  One thing to remember, especially when dealing with subordinates older than you is to do your job well, but also with kindness and respect.  Give that and you'll get it in return.  Iron fist in a velvet glove idea.  

I've worked with younger managers (it's getting more and more common damn it!) who didn't respect the fact that I've been doing what I do, and doing it well, for many years who want to control every minute of my day.  I want to reach out and slap the shit out of them, forget enjoying what I do at that moment and making sure I bend over backwards to make them look good.  Then I've worked with ones who understand that I've been doing it since they were in elementary school and let me do my work with minimal interference, yet I know they're there to back me up.  They get my 110%. 
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Yay! @Squish, 2013 is starting off with a BANG for you! Congratulations on so many wonderful things!
  • squishsquish
    Thanks all. 2013 has been interesting so far.

@BellaBefana I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't want to micromanage as I can't stand it as a worker. I'm lucky to be supervising the group I was a part of so I know their work and how good they are.
  • anonymommy
    Congratulations!
  • just_mejust_me
    Yay! Congratulations @squish. I love your name btw!!!
    I can't be perfect all the time...so give it up already!
  • PenguinsMommaPenguinsMomma
    Yay @squish
  • squishsquish
    Thanks everyone. I wish I was on more but my new job has me running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
  • Quilting_grandmaQuilting_grandma
    Congrats enjoy your new position.