11 mo old has his first cold - what do I do???
  • beachmommybeachmommy

DS just turned 11 mo on Sunday.  He started with a cough last night, and now has a runny nose.  No fever.

I told the nanny to set up the humidifier, keep him with the sippy cup with water and some diluted chamomile tea with him all day, and to use the bulb syringe on his nose if he gets too stuffy. 

I am hoping he gets in a couple of naps today, but he has recently entered the "I don't wanna sleep" stage, so I can't count on that.

I will get chicken soup on my way home from work.

What am I missing???  I know I may sound a little silly here, but this is his first cold and as my first child, I am not exactly sure what to do here....

My beach is still Sandy....
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    baby cold meds and baby vicks? 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • squishsquish
    I take my DS outside for a walk when he's sick. I bundle him up and let him breathe the fresh air and I think it helps. I also use the baby Vicks when he's sleeping. DS just got over a cold with a cough and fever and, other than a warm bath to help the fever, I did the above and let it run its course.

The only thing I didn't know about baby colds was that they last way longer than adult ones. I was concerned when DS got his first at 8 months and the dr said they take longer to get over.
  • beachmommybeachmommy

@sunnymomma - I just called DH to pick up baby vicks, but do they make baby cold meds?

@squish - I didn't know that about them lasting longer either.  That really sucks.

• squishsquish
    @beachmommy I wish I knew that instead of showing up at the drs office like a crazy person after he had a runny nose and cough for a week. I know they make infant Tylenol and Motrin for fevers. I don't think babies that young can take cough medicine.
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    @squish - so far the fever has held off, but I do have some tylenol on reserve just in case. 
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    they make baby saline mucus removal rinse spray stuff, check out little remedies. You can also call the Dr and talk to a nurse for what they recommend you do. 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • eappleeapple
    There is a vicks baby bath... Omg that stuff is sooo good. It comes in a green bottle and it has the vicks smell. You put a capful in a bath and let the goodness gets all in their little noses and they feel so much better! I have recently swapped my vicks rub and vicks bath for eucalyptus oil. I just add a few drops to a bath or a few drops to some coconut oil for the rub and it's just as effective without the nasty petroleum. If you getyour husband to buy the rub make sure it's the baby rub, it should come with a pink cap if it's the baby one. The adult version is way to strong for little ones. Good luck mama first colds, or any colds for that matter suck!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • missmama5missmama5
    Even I use the vicks baby bath lol. It really is great for little ones.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Orange juice or orange juice popsicles, fun way for vitamin c..
  • squishsquish
    Totally agree with @sunnymomma with the saline rinse. DS still loves getting that sprayed up his nose when he's stuffy.
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    oh I love the vicks baby bath! how could I forget, It works so much better than the adult shower steamers version! 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • junglezoo
    There is nothing you can give them as in cough medicine until they are 5 or 6. However when my Lil ones have colds I put vicks on their feet, set up the humidifier and I also roll up a towel and elevate the mattress since the don't know how to blow their noses and sometimes the snot drains into the throat.
    Definitely elevate the mattress if they are coughing a lot.
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    That's a good tip about the mattress @jungleZoo - but how do you stop them from rolling down to the bottom? DS tosses himself all over his crib all night long!!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Benedryl will help at night, but other than that, sounds like you've got your bases covered. Tylenol &/or Advil as needed if he's uncomfortable.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • junglezoo
    Hrmmm.... I never really had that problem, but then again when my son was that age he slept in a sleep sack. Also it's not elevated that much...just a rolled towel. I suppose you could go check on him before bed and of course if you hear a lot of coughing and then readjust him into the proper position again.

Good luck! I know it's tough seeing them sick....especially the first time.
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

DS2 has been coughing since Friday night...slept awful on sunday night, so last night I finally decided to try a pillow under one end of his mattress to help with drainage and he slept wonderful!!! I also tried to do that when he was younger, but like @beachmommy said...he was all over the bed so I ended up taking it out. He is a much calmer sleeper now! He still moves around, but not like when he was younger!

• RosamundiRosamundi
    My sons much preferred saline drops to spray when they were that little. You can make your own solution with 1 cup of water and 1 tsp salt, stir well. Then use and eye dropper (or a clean medicine dropper) and drop a couple drops in each nostril.

Also, can he have raw honey yet? I don't remember what the age limit is for that. If he's good to have honey, get some local raw honey and dissolve a spoonful of it in warm water and squeeze in some lemon or Braggs apple cider vinegar. It will help him so much. I give my kids raw honey every day during cold season and it helps them keep up their immunity.

Another immunity builder are probiotics. If your baby likes yogurt, you might try some of the flavored kefirs that are easily available. My DS4 loves strawberry and orange the best. Kefir has a ton of probiotics (more than yogurt) and it will keep his little immune system strong. Or just yogurt. The gogurt sticks are great in the freezer, my kids eat them like popsicles (with a paper towel wrapped around the frozen yogurt so their hands don't get cold).

Good luck! Sick little ones are NO FUN!
  • Marionettevie
    i dont do much for colds with no fever.... if its just a stuffy nose i use that saline stuff to clear his nose (when i tackle him down and do it, he hates it) if its a cough i have this stuff that is made with herbs.. i get it from a natural food store and it helps for a couple of hours. when he sleeps i use vicks, but i am planning on making the homemade vicks to use. the only time i use otc cold medds is when he is absolutely miserable... if he is playing and stuff i dont do much...
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    If you breastfeed, skip the saline and drop some breastmilk in his nose!

Vick's (or BreatheRight) makes a menthol night light.  It's a light that plugs in, and you slide these little pads in them, and they heat up and make the whole bedroom menthol-y.  They are wonderful! I've even started using them in our bedroom when DH or I have a cold and stuffy nose.

If he's coughing A LOT, you can ask his doctor whether a bit of honey might help.  It's usually not recommended until 1 year old, but my ped said that most babies can handle it at 10 months.  There are cough medications that are all-natural that are okay for babies 12 months or older.  Again, a call to his doctor might give you the okay to use them (though I've never found them to be very useful). 
  • beachmommybeachmommy

@liquidpeppermint - we are using the menthol plug in at night instead of the chest rub.  Then when I get him up in the morning he gets a little chest rub.

I have been giving him saline drops, but my nanny & DH are convinced that the saline drops will cause the snot to drip down the back of his throat and cause a bigger chest cold problem, so I am the only one giving them to him.

This morning he sounds much better, and he is still very playful, so hopefully we are near the end of this crap!

• Sultry
    You can't give bendryl to children under 2, or so my doctor tells me.

if his snot turns green or yellow, take him to the dr right away.

Since its so cold, lots of nice warm steamy baths and showers help. or even just tun the hot water on in the shower and play with baby in the bathroom. Even during the day.

It sounds as if you're doing everything right.

if he chokes on his mucous (my bub does0 try putting a small flat pillow under the mattress, or even a flat folded towel to slightly elevate his head.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Rosamundi said:

The gogurt sticks are great in the freezer, my kids eat them like popsicles (with a paper towel wrapped around the frozen yogurt so their hands don't get cold).

Good luck! Sick little ones are NO FUN!

My DS2 LOVES frozen go-gurt!!! He discovered popsicles, so this was my healthier alternative! Also with a paper towel around the bottom or else he wants me to hold it for him. lol