Frustrated!
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    DD7 is driving me crazy! She is a smart kid. Great with science and Math... but reading? She hates it! I don't understand why?! We read almost every night together. I have read to all 3 of the kids since they were babies. 

Today was particularly stressful. First day back to school after the Holiday break. She brought home a library book called "Bunny, Bunny". I had her sit on the couch and I asked her to read to me. She does great until she gets to words that should give her no problem, like "or, on, at, it, day" etc. She can read words like Thumping, but not "or"? Come onnnn! Where did she get her hatred of reading anyway? Her father and I both LOVE to read.  I am stuck, is this normal? I loved to read when I was her age...  How do I fix this?! Her excuse is "It's too hard!" or "I don't know the words!" When I know damn well she DOES know the words!  WTF! 
    Anyone have any advice or ideas?  We have tried word games, treats, anything we could think of to try to instill a love of reading.  *sigh*
  • Lulu
    Find her a series she can get into, like the Baby-Sitters' Club Little Sister books. Take her to the public library (better selection) and just let her poke around. Are her friends like that too? Maybe you can talk to the other parents and do a book swap where your daughter can loan her favorites to her friends and she can read her friends' favorite books.

Also, limit electronics/TV time. If she wants entertainment, she can read. 
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Has she read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books? They're amazing for getting kids hooked on reading. And it's in diary format, with lots of "drawings" so it's not page after page of words. It's not overwhelming in the least. Does your DD have library at school? They probably have the Wimpy Kid books. Also the Junie B series. Easy, short, funny books.
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    And the Bad Kitty books! Easy to read and kids find them HILARIOUS!!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    My ds11. He has a love/hate relationship with reading. But right now? He's on harry potter 4. Pretty long book, so I'm a little impressed. I agree with @Lulu and @SAHM1020. Find her a series she can get into. Wimpy kid books are great! Captain underpants was a good series to get Ds to read more. They're like comic strips, so you get pictures with the words. Goosebumps is a good one if she likes spooky.

The other thing my kids love is when we go to half price books. They get a spending limit, and theyve learned that the clearance section is where its at! 50¢ books? Hell yes! They read all afternoon when we come home from there.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • ChristyJChristyJ
    Another option are kids graphic novels. When Alex really does not want to read, he will get one of those. As there is about a sentence or two a page, it seems to them that they are reading more. Also make sure all tv's, Radios, electronics are turned off during reading time. Maybe have 20-30 minutes a day set aside where everything is turned off and everyone reads or the smaller ones Color or have a quiet activity.

Sounds like it could also be boredom. Has her school given her a reading evaluation recently? If they have, they should be able to tell you their Lexile reading range. You can then take that information to the library and they could help you find something in her range.

Also, some kids just don't like to read. Maybe have her write a story or poem instead? You can get great ideas for story starters online.
    Imperfect and proud of it.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Read the book to her and have her follow along. When you get to a word she says she doesnt know, change the word and see if she notices.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    when I was having the same issues with she devil.......i got her some Junie B. Jones books........thing turned right around!!!!!! If your interested......she still has a stash of them.....I will gladly pass them on if you think it would help.....
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
    Thanks Everyone!  @SchweddyBalls  sure!  If it will help! I am desperate to get her into reading!  Starting to wonder if shes my kid.. or if she got switched at birth!  @Purpleflowers going to try that!!!  Hopefully she will notice. She swears up and down the only books she can read are "Green eggs and ham" and "bunny bunny" *sigh*  @ChristyJ I will write a note for her teacher tonight, Thank you!  maybe that will help! @ Lulu and @SAHM1020 she hasnt read the Diary of a wimpy kid books yet, I might see if we can get her some.  I remember when I was her age I was hooked on the Boxcar Children... but that would be a bit past her reading level I think grrrrr...  Going to try Junie B Jones...  Hopefully it will work!
    pm me your address...... will get them out tomorrow!!!!
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
    @SchweddyBalls already done :D
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    My kids have readers they have to read.. they suck.. Icwas letting tgem read their own books til i foubd out they were tested on these..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • LilyByTheSeaLilyByTheSea
    My eight year old DD was the same way - until we got the Bad Kitty books.  Now she can't stop reading.  Just have to find the right hook to get her interested.
  • DreamerDreamer

This is ds7.  He struggles with regular words like was, let, hill.. and then has no problem with words like noises, special, saucer.. like really child?

We've tried all the things he's interested in too. Super heros, transformers etc.. so far... nudda.  We struggle... its getting better. But slowly

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. Which one are you?
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    When ds14 was in Kindergarten, he did this same stuff. He would read big words but then "uhhh, uhhh, uhhhh" the little words. I mentioned it to his teacher that he really seemed to be struggling with some stuff. She just looked at me funny & said he's *been* reading chapter books in class. (We had been reading Dr Suess at home). I was so mad! Pulling my damn hair out every night & he was reading at a much, much higher level at school. Little shit was bored! I found books he was interested in & he still reads for hours a day.
    I guess I need to check out these Bad Kitty Books too!  Going to head off to the library this weekend! Thanks everyone! It is so frustrating dealing with this! Hopefully with everyone tips and advice we will be able to get her on the right track!  Thanks!
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I could take or leave reading, too, until someone gave me two Nancy Drew books when I was 9, and then I never stopped reading. That's how I learned to spel so gud. So I concur with the other ladies: keep trying new series until you find the one that hooks her.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • GritsGrits

That's how I learned to spel so gud.

LMAO!

DD8 has never had that problem, but I will share some of her fave series with you if it might help...Kylie Jean books are her favorite, but her name is Kylie, so she might be biased. She also digs Junie B., Goosebumps, and Monster High. And your public library should have all those titles. DD8 wasn't interested in learning to read for the longest time, then school started...now she's unstoppable. You might also look into the abridged versions of the classics. We got some for DD at Wal-Mart, I think. Peter Pan, Little Women, A Little Princess, lots and for like $3/each. Can't beat it!

Edit: Don't know why, but my whole deal is in a quote...but @fatchickonabike still cracks me up.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • JenInHeels

I might be really (really, really) wrong here but I think I recall hearing about a reading disability once where kids can read bigger words really easy but when it came to 2 letter words they see them backwards.  Anyone else heard of that?

• OpheliaOphelia
    Have her eyes been checked? Maybe she doesn't like reading cause she can't see the.words properly? Just asking cause Ry was like that with writing, wouldn't even try. Got her eyes checked and she needed glasses, now she always wants to write.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
    She had her eyes checked in sept of last year (2012) but I think I need to have them checked again. Shes making me so paranoid now lol!!!  

@jeninheels are you talking about dyslexia?  She has a problem with mixing up her B's and D's, and words that you would use most often, such as "would, could, should, here, there,etc" but yet she can figure out subject, zoology, stampede, among others.  its frustrating!
  • JenInHeels

@Dragonbabyx3

Not dyslexia exactly – it was more where these kids can read VERY complicated words and do VERY complicated math but simple words and simple math confuses them.  Like I said I might be wrong but I swear I heard that somewhere along the line once……

anything arrive yet?????
  • AloneOverseasAloneOverseas
    DS7 is much like you describe. He has been through reading tutoring at school, got glasses and will be starting private reading tutoring next week. The battles at home were not worth all the stress it created. He starts third grade next month and still has so many learning issues. Refuses to even learn how to tie his shoes! Ugh.
    I love purple; I love cats. Imagine if cats were purple ...
  • 2callmemommy2callmemommy
    If your DD is more girly you can always try Dork Diaries. It's the same format as Diary of a wimpy kid but it's about a girl instead. My 8 year old loves them. We're getting her the whole set for her bday because the library here only has 2 and she's read both about 50 times each.
    @SchweddyBalls Yes they arrived yesterday!  So Sorry I didnt message you. I was so exhausted after kids drs appts and such I was in bed by 8pm! 
    No worries!!!!!!! I was afraid it got lost in the postal abyss!!!!!!
    @SchweddyBalls and OMG!!! It worked!!!!!! She cant read some of the bigger words but now she is begging me to sit with her :P We are already on Chapter 3.  She loves it!