Soda vs Kool Aid vs Juice
  • ImWendyImWendy
    Most of them are gone now, but there's been a lot of conversation regarding giving your child soda or kool-aid on the confessional. Obviously, soda or pop is bad. I don't believe giving a child an occasional cup of it is going to hurt them, though. Then someone said that Kool-Aid is just as bad, if not worse, than soda. I Googled trying to find some facts on this, and all I could find are mom type forums that are opinion based, with no one providing any facts.

For the record, my kids drink mostly water. If not water, in descending order of frequency, it's milk, juice, Kool-Aid, or tea.

What are your thoughts on drinks other than water?
    deus ex machina
  • PreownedbrunettePreownedbrunette
    I'm addicted to caffeine, so there is always soda in my house, but my kids willingly drink water 1st, then milk, then soda. Never been much into kool-aid, and juice just seems to ferment in my refrigerator. They have a soda if they want a soda, and then it's back to water or milk. My deal is not letting them have coffee. For whatever reason, as soon as they could talk, they wanted coffee like Dad. In my mind, coffee is the evil overlord of the beverage world, not soda.
  • etherieletheriel
    In my house, it's water, then 2% milk, then juice. I never have Koolaid in the house. Personally, I think it's disgusting and I'd rather just give the kids a big heaping spoon full of sugar 'cause that's all it is.

I have to treat caffeinated sodas a bit differently than most parents. In general, Soda is a treat and given to my 13, 11, and 9 year old on the rare occasion that we go out to eat. And it's NEVER a diet soda. The artificial sweeteners are way worse for young developing minds than the high fructose corn syrup would be. However, 2 of my 3 kids have ADHD. Due to brain chemical differences, caffeine will actually slow them down rather than hype them up. With those 2, especially my son, I will give them a Coke or Dr Pepper if they are unusually wired and need to calm down and focus. Usually this happens before a later than usual baseball game when the meds have worn off.
    If I'm not supposed to do it, how come I can?
  • My daughter will NOT drink just plain water...at all, no matter how we give it to her. She's had soda if we go out and she wants to try what we have in our cups she takes a sip or two but she never has her own serving of soda. She's had peach tea before but again only because I was drinking it and she wanted to try it. She's never had kool-aid. She only drinks 100% juice and even then it's 50% water 50% juice. Whenever she has milk it's whole lactose free milk because she's had a sensitive stomach since she was a baby but she's not lactose-intolerant.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @preownedbrunette My kids try to take my coffee! WTF? Back up off my caffeine!

@soupermom I usually give them Mondo's for their lunches. I don't WANT to, but they're cheap and I'm poor while I'm in school.

@etheriel Giving your kids caffeine sounds like a good option, in your case. Caffeine is really the main reason I don't give my kids soda. That's also why tea is last on the list for me.

I've still been unsuccessful finding solid research on drink options compared, but I Googled the respective sugar contents. I'm actually really surprised. Here's what I found:

Pepsi: 41 grams per 8 fluid ounces
    Kool-Aid: 16g/8 fl oz, when prepared according to directions. Also, has Vit C added. The only thing I could find on acidity was way beyond my abilities to comprehend, but I'm sure it's at least moderately acidic.
    Apple Juice: 24g/8 fl oz. Also has very high acidic content.
    2% Milk: 5.26g/3.5 fl oz. That works out to what? 12.02g/8 fl oz? Also, it's somewhat acidic, and there's the worry of added hormones. My ped said no more than 2 cups per day because it was causing my kids to be constipated.

So according to what I've been able to find, Kool-Aid has significantly less sugar than juice or soda, and does have some nutritional value. I know water is the BEST option, but when you consider the pollutants, it can be not so great, too.
    deus ex machina
  • LOL My daughter always tries to drink my coffee she always changes her mid at the last minute though.

You make a good point about the sugar and such @ImWendy!
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @rosebudsmommy The only reason my kids drink water is because they like getting the crushed ice and water out of the door of the fridge. This is a fairly recent event. lol.

Also, Tessa just got caught with my coffee cup. lol. We were at a birthday party at Dunkin Donuts the other night, and I got an iced coffee. I had turned my back to talk to a mom, and her eyes got HUGE and she started laughing. I turned and Tess had downed half my cup. lol.
    deus ex machina
  • @ImWendy, lol whatever works! My daughter would probably run away from the noise.
  • NewEnglandGal
    My son gets soda as a treat. He usually drinks water, then juice, and we make KoolAid sometimes in the summer. I much prefer real sugar to the artificial sweeteners in so many drinks, so I buy the KoolAid that I have to mix, instead of the pre-made stuff. Then I reduce the amount of sugar I put in it.
  • InsanityandChaosInsanityandChaos
    My son drinks juicy juice and I still water it down but mainly because he seriously drinks non-stop. He would go through and entire 64oz bottle of juice in one day if I let him. No soda at all but I've been wanting to give him some to see if it would chill him out a little, it's suspected he has adhd but our doctor won't test yet because he says he's too young. Honestly I'm nervous to try it because I don't want it to become a habit. I have a really hard time getting him to drink water but If I put on of those crystal light things in there he will. He doesn't like milk at all, I have to force him to drink a glass with breakfast and that's about all I can get him to do.
  • AnonUser24
    My daughter drinks milk or really watered down juice. She doesn't like pop (that's what we call soda in Canada), and we rarely have it in the house anyways. As for kool-aid, I hadn't had it in years and I drank a glass the other day and could barely get it down it was so nasty lol. So needless to say we don't drink kool-aid.
  • Anonymous
    I've trained my son to drink water. He requests it all day long and no matter what I am doing, I drop it and get him his water. His pee is almost clear, which is what many doctors and nurses have told me is a good health sign (because mine is).

Juice gets watered down 50%, but again, many docs and nurses have told me that juice (and only 100% juice, no sugar added, it has enough of it's own) should only be used if you can't get your kid to eat veg and fruit. We have a hard time with veg, so I get him these juices that are 50/50 veg and fruit juice.

He doesn't drink a ton of white milk, but will drink unlimited with a chocolate protein powder in it. Not as good as chocolate milk, but hell, he doesn't know.

It's hard enough to feed a kid, so you may as well use any tricks you can.

But I will say that I've had multiple medical professionals tell me that juice and soda are pretty much the same in that they have way more sugar than is good for you. Water should be your main source of hydration each day, and kids should drink some milk and limited anything else. That's straight from my sons pediatrician and my obstetrician and multiple nurses. Good enough for me.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @lizzwizzy Mine would go straight for the soda, too. We live with my parents, and my mom just HAS to have a case of Mountain Dew at all times (insert eyeroll) and it's a constant fight with my kids to keep them out of them. They get maybe one a week? If we didn't live here, I'd never buy soda. I was a serious Diet Pepsi addict until about 9mos ago. I still like a soda occasionally, but now that I actually like water, they aren't as good.
    deus ex machina
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @anon My pediatrician actually told me that while water IS best, if they won't drink it, just make sure they're drinking something. lol. He said they still get hydration from the other choices, but did say to limit soda.
    deus ex machina
  • irishlassirishlass
    Do you guys not get squash over there? its like concentrated fruit juice and you mix it with water to make a normal juice? Also called cordial or high juice?
    This conversation was kindof hard for me to follow cause the names are all different to what i call them lol But my son drinks water or very very watery squash or pure fruit juice watered down. When he goes to my sisters house she occassionally gives him fizzy water, do you guys have that? He goes ballistic! He thinks its great! lol We stay away from al the sugar filled stuff
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • supermommy
    my kids don't question drink options. They like whatever, milk juice water etc. I've never had a fight over it. They get soda (sprite or rootbeer or other non caffinated) for special treats. Who doesn't love a rootbeer float?
  • CAAMommyCAAMommy
    My kids are all different. My oldest, 8 almost9, will drink watered down juice or water all the time. She hates the taste of pop and won't even drink it, unless there is absolutely nothing else to drink and it's orange. My 6 year old loves her juice, but it watered down and she will drink pop but it's usually if we go out for dinner or family gatherings, day trips, even when pop is in the house and it's for her she still doesn't go crazy for it. She has had 4 of those mini cans sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks now. My youngest, almost 2, will drink 3/4 water, 1/4 juice, sometimes straight water, she had her first taste of pop when I accidentally left my pop on the table just on Friday, but I don't think I'll let her have pop again for awhile.
    I would rather let my kids drink juice than Kool aid because it's sugar is not added sugar, just natural occuring sugar in fruit. Not that my kids don't drink Kool aid. It's just occasional.
    Myself, I'm addicted to coke. Lol. Any pop I'll drink but I always have coke in the house and sometimes Dr.pepper. Not diet either. :( I have really bad habits, but so far my coke habit hasnt passed onto my kids.
  • CrashCrash
    We only give the kids water, or rather, the kids only drink water. Comes from a tap on the fridge door, so, they get their own water! Lol. Milk, sometimes. My nanny has stopped putting juice on the grocery list because I won't buy it. I read an article once on how they make orange juice, and it turned me off totally. No Koolaid, no chocolate milk except once a month, maybe! No soda. I do 'fess up to making my kids coffee in the am, though! Maybe about 3 ounces coffee, with a good spoonful of sugar, and the rest milk. Lol. That was when they were about 3 and thought coffee was 'cool'. They stopped when they got older, I guess they realized that really weak coffee flavoured milk wasn't worth the effort.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • CrashCrash
    @CAAmommy, your coke habit. Lol.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @curious I'll admit the same. lol. If one of the kids have a rough night from nightmares or whatever, and then can't wake up for school, I've been known to give them a cup of half milk, half coffee, spoon of sugar. I'm not even sure there's enough caffeine in that to do anything, but they at least THINK they're sufficiently awake to go to school.

@caamommy lol. Let's hope they never get your coke habit.
    deus ex machina
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    @caamommy, i got a coke habit too! i have to limit how much i buy because i can drink a case of it myself in less than a week.......
    my kids (6, 5 & 3) drink juice & water the majority of the time. i still water down their juice, but i limit them to 2 cups a day. they have soda once in a great while and kool-aid once in a great while because i hate making it and we hardly ever have sugar when i am going to make it. they drink maybe 1 cup of milk a day
    I am really happy to hear I'm not the only freak out there that is addicted to pop. I drink a 12 pack in a day and a half, easy. It's horrible and every time I try to stop drinking it I get pretty nasty mean! I swear it's got crack in it....And it's coca-cola classic for me. I won't let ds drink pop at all and in fact freaked out on my mother in law for giving him mountain dew. He knows it's for "big people" and since he doesn't like the taste anyway he doesn't ask for it thankfully. I bet if I could kick the pop habit I'd lose this damn 20 pounds though....
    LOL! I'm addicted to Diet Coke. Caffeine AND artificial sweeteners! Soooooo bad! I've tried to stop, but I get the worst migraines and apparently turn into the wicked witch of the west. My family just backs away until somebody can get back from the store and hand me a cup full! (Confession #65268 was me!)
  • irishlassirishlass
    my bf is completely addicted to coke, he drinks 8litres a day easy. I think its dangerous! he then goes on to drink 15cans of beer, thats alotta liquid!!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • @irishlass, HOLY COW! That is definitely not healthy! Thats crazy!
  • LoveLove
    I keep milk and sweet tea. There's ice and water in the door. Milk or tea with meals only. Ice water any other time they want a drink. They of course can have soda when we eat out.

I drink coffee mostly during the day and iced tea with meals. I try to have a glass or two of pineapple juice or orange pinapple juice a day. But any kind of real 100% fruit juice gives Lil Man diarhea, as does soda pop. Dr Pepper or Mountain Dew actually causes a little rash on his butt if he has the least little sup. Kool aid was banned because (a) I don't like it and (b) they only like red flavors and that shit stains every thing it touches.

We use to could go through a case or two of canned soda a day ! (We recycle cans, is why we weren't buying the 2 liters, although the 2 liters are cheaper, well that, and I didn't have to wash 15 glasses a day) We went through some hard times financially almost 2 years ago, and I realized what we were spending on sodas and said no more.

I wish milk was cheaper. It's over $5 a gallon here most of the time, and we CAN go through a gallon a day if I let it happen.

community-manager

• Anonymous
    My kids only drink water and milk.. they get watered down juice on a very rare occasion but they usually decline the juice and ask for milk instead. We are pretty health concious in my house so I try my best to keep them away from sugars and ESPECIALLY caffiene.
    I can't stand when I see toddlers drinking pop or slurpees
  • TONS of water and because DD won't drink it, she drinks watered down juice and Gatorade. I recently started making kool aid for them, but only because its so hot and they are drinking so much, they need variety. Soda is a treat- like maybe a can or 20 oz once a month.
  • memememememe
    My kids have juice with breakfast sometimes (V8 juice that is fruits and veggies together...probably still not that great for them though). They get soda once in a while (maybe once a week, sometimes more if we have a lot going on like going out to eat or bday parties). My dd will usually pick chocolate milk when we go out to dinner, ds picks orange soda. DH and I have awful habits, and we try not to pass them on but it's hard to be "do as I say, not as I do" all the time.

DH drinks diet coke, he can go through 3-4 liters a day, sometimes a whole 12 pack of cans (I have no idea how those measurements equate, it just depends how we buy it that week). I drink usually a can a day of sprite/orange soda/ or root beer.

I drink a ton of water, all day. The kids usually have at least one glass of milk a day, not more than two. I hate milk and think it's so weird that we drink milk from another animal (we are the only animal that does that if you think about it) and it weirds me out, all the hormones and stuff in there. But I also know it's good for them and will help the grow.

We have kool aid once in a while, but DH always adds way more sugar than it calls for, so I'm sure it equals soda on that comparison.

The kids also drink a lot of water, they usually have water with one meal and have it throughout the day. I try to remind them to drink before they are thirsty, but they always wait until they are thirsty. DD drives me crazy we she noisily gulps down a whole glass of water and breaths all heavy after..so annoying.
  • GraddyAGraddyA
    My boys both hated and I mean hated water until that's all they saw me drinking. I thought that I was doing something healthy with the 100% juice but now i'll just water it down.
  • Anonymous
    The only juice I keep in the house is orange juice. Any other juice is just sugar water, and really has no nutritional value. OJ has vitamin C and folate naturally. Apple juice is a joke. Kool-Aid has less sugar than most juices and soda. At least Vitamin C is added to it. My kids drink 2-3 servings of milk a day, one serving of OJ with their snack, and water. I do keep soda in the house, but they get it maybe once a week as a treat. The two of them split a can.
  • brandyhx
    i think its good to water down the juice such as apple or grape, i tried it before when i was sick it still tastes really strong and will last a lot longer too!
  • brandyhx
    oh yeah this reminds me, i was on a family vacay the other week, we are all grown ups so idk why my mom even had kool aid with her but when she was leaving she was like "do you have enough kool aid?" i just laughed and was like "mom, we don't drink kool aid, we're 23" lmao it was so funny the way it all happened my sister was cracking up too...like we're wondering if we have enough tequila and mom is worried about kool aid lol
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @brandyhx lol. The last time Kool-Aid tasted good to me, I was a kid. Sounds like Mom doesn't want to let go. ;)
    deus ex machina
    The last time I drank Kool-Aid, there was vodka in it! Redneck parties are the best! lol
  • loveitloveit
    @preownedbrunette I was thinking the exact same thing! Koolaide with vodka us simply divine! :)
  • SammieSammie
    My daughter is 21 months old and drinks only milk and water. She has had juice only a handful of times and it's always been all-natural/organic. No sugar added, unfiltered, etc. It's not that I'm against juice. I just don't want that to become her 'go-to' drink when she's perfectly happy with water and milk. I can't even remember the last time I touched a glass of Kool-Aid. I *think* it was at a friend's birthday party around 3rd grade. There might be less sugar in it than juice, but it is two different kinds of sugars. Fruit has naturally occurring sugars which are vastly different than the refined, over processed sugars we add to drinks like Kool-Aid.

We don't keep soda in the house anymore. DH and I both enjoy soda (him WAY more than me), but we realized that the cost adds up and it keeps up from drinking water when we should and setting a good example for the little hellion. So, we stopped buying it, but we will buy one on occasion, drink one at BBQs/events/restaurants. I will never give up coffee though ;)

community-manager

• sanityseekersanityseeker
    Water, OJ, Tea, Coffee, Milk, Capri Sun depends on the day, depends on the kid. The only time we buy soda is when mom is here, so when she moves in that is going to be an interesting battle.
    "If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?" -Castiel
    "Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.” -Dobby
    Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.
  • mommy_loves_winemommy_loves_wine
    My son drinks milk, icy cold water, "juice water" as he calls it (90% water, 10% juice), and juice boxes. We like the Capri Sun water ones or the Apple and Eve ones that are a serving of fruits and veggies. He's just three so I've never given him pop, but he's stolen a sip of my Diet Coke before and hated it! Which is good because I'm another DC addict and I'm not into sharing :) I just figure that there's no sense in giving it to him, especially since upon first sip he thought it was gross. We don't ever have Kool Aid in the house because hubs and I don't like it...I'm a big sugar and candy fan but I try to limit the sugar I intake from beverages.
  • breezybreezy
    I buy kool aid every once in a while and we drink it while eating popcorn on movie nights. My mom was a health nut so I never had it until I was an adult.... Same with canned green beans. I have an unhealthy addiction to canned green beans.
    Soda and kool aid along with candy and pizza... I allow it all in moderation. No caffeine though. I have one of four that doesn't like water. If they are thirsty that's what they all drink though. The rest is a treat. Oh and milk with dinner because that's how my dh grew up.
  • Katescrazymom
    My three year old mostly gets water-some times milk first thing in the morning, especially if I'm hoping she'll go back to sleep, water all day, occasionally milk or watered juice with lunch, and a sippy cup of milk during the before bed cuddle. I usually water the juice becauce I prefer it that way. I'll put lemon, orange, cucumber slices, or berries in the water sometimes. She doesn't like (barely warm) mint tea, she might like the cinammon I have in the winter though. Neither has any real amount of caffeine. She does however get full strength juice if she's not feeling well, and has been know to get several sips from my glass on the odd (2-3 times a year) occasion when I have a coke. I know it's not good for her, but that amount isn't going to impair her bone or brain development, or make her obese!
  • Anonymous
    DD likes water because she loves getting it out of the water cooler. She hates anything carbonated so that cuts out any kind of soda (hurray!) But her absolute favourite is Apple Juice. I buy the 100% not from concentrate stuff. Don't know if it's all that good...so sweet! But it's her fave and it can't be all that bad. We don't give her a lot of candy or other sweets so I think it's alright to indulge with the juice.
  • CrashCrash
    The problem with juice is..well. I've gotta see if I can find the link.

Can't find the link but I'll keep looking. Basically, orange juice, and any other kind of juice, is not what you think it is. It's not oranges squeezed, pasteurized, and then poured into containers. In fact, even if they don't say on the ingredients list, orange juice has been kept in tanks for months until the demand is there. Since it no longer actually tastes like orange juice, they add all sorts of 'natural flavours' to bring it back to its 'natural state'. Ugh. I *wish* I could find a link so ya'll don't think I'm a total nutter.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    @curious I was reading the wiki about apple juice and there's a scientific process to get it to the bottle. lol. I don't think you're nuts. Not much, at any rate! :P

I think basically, as long as we aren't pouring sodas down our kids throats non-stop, we're probably okay. It's funny, because I started this thread because there was so much judging on the confessional about soda and Kool-Aid. I never knew juice was going to take a dive!
    deus ex machina
  • CrashCrash
    Oh that's just my personal thoughts on it. I don't care if other parents give their kids juice...they think juice is healthy, right? I'm not on a crusade to make kids give up their juice, watered or unwatered! There's so much to be crazy about, I'm not about to add another! Lol.
    I'm to the point that as long as I don't see him chugging vodka I'm cool. This kid doesn't stop drinking. He can chug down a 20oz bottle of water like he's in the desert and then 5 minutes later want another one.