Steubenville Rape *Update*
  • beambeam
    http://www.classwarfareexists.com/high-school-students-joke-about-rape-in-a-video-leaked-by-anonymous/

High School Students Joke About Rape In A Video Leaked By Anonymous

Posted by Aphrodite on 04 Jan 2013

An inflammatory video leaked by a hacktivist group purportedly shows Ohio teens laughing and cracking jokes about a student allegedly raped that same night.

Steubenville police said they’re aware of the crude 12-minute clip, posted to YouTube on Wednesday( posted below), and that it was previously given to prosecutors in the highly-charged rape case against two players on a local high school football team.

“Since late August 2012, the subject who made the video was interviewed,” Steubenville Police Chief William McCafferty told CBS affiliate WTRF-TV. “This has all been turned over to the prosecutors, which are the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.”

The video is the latest electronic evidence that has resurfaced in this case, which has sharply divided Steubenville, a dwindling steel town on the West Virginia border. Making the situation even thornier is that Steubenville High School and its football team, known as Big Red, are widely celebrated for their state championship titles.

Two 16-year-old players, Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, were charged with rape and kidnapping in the alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old West Virginia girl last August, according to the Herald-Star. A trial is scheduled for Feb. 3.

The incident gained traction when other players and students talked about the incident on Twitter, posted pictures on Instagram and also uploaded video of the night to YouTube.

Events began at an end-of-summer party in a volunteer football coach’s home, where alcohol was freely flowing, The New York Times reported last month. The girl may have been unconscious, dragged to different parties and raped over several hours, The Times said. She may even have been
    urinated on.

Meanwhile, hacktivist group Anonymous has been trying to keep a spotlight on the case, claiming officials are trying to cover up the crime that may involve other football players.

The group has organized protest rallies, including another one for Saturday, and recovered some online posts that were deleted by students.

The latest video shows a former Steubenville High School student talking about the alleged rape and referring to the teen involved as a “dead girl.”

After watching the video myself (this is not Beam's comment, it is from original article) …I am completely disgusted with the way that some of our young boys are being raised to think that something like rape is a laughing matter.  Not that I want to drag politics into this, but I can’t help but think that these young men are going to be Republican or come from Republican families. Wasn’t it Todd Aiken and
    other Republicans like him who publically minimized the horror of rape by classifying rape as “legitimate” not to mention believing that  female bodies could somehow block an unwanted pregnancy? Where is our outrage? Not just at these slimy excuses for human beings, but all the way up the ladder? I guess I can’t be surprised at this….considering our Republican congressmen feel the same way.

http://youtu.be/W1oahqCzwcY

A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • beambeam
    Beam's personal comment : I don't even know where my indignation begins nor ends. The boys, their parents, the football team, the cops, the city.... all protecting the rapists. Gang raped by boys and rape again by a city. Where is the outrage and protests such as we saw in India - do we not love our young women as much as they do?

Here is more from Anonymous hacking : http://localleaks.blogs.ru/

And here is the video:

A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    I couldn't watch the whole video, I want to bitch smack that stupid kid. I caught this gem "it isn't rape if you don't know if she wanted to or not"  The guys in the background are getting indignant but they still didn't stop it.
  • regpregp
    I just read about this last night. It's horrible what happened to this girl (girls?) and yet the coverup and what has happened after is equally horrifying. This could happen in any small town.
    In the small town where I grew up, there was recently a scandal with football players hazing younger students (beating them in the locker room, holding them down and putting their thumbs up their butts, awful stuff). The players who were doing the hazing didn't even sit out a game. Turns out the father of one of the players owns the hunting club where the coaches hunt, he lets them hunt there for free. 
    That's it in a nutshell but the whole story is much bigger.
    The "good ol boy" system is alive and well.
    The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    This is tragic and horrible and no child should ever be raised this way.

HOWEVER I think assuming he's being raised in a Republican home because he RAPED someone is a REVOLTING assumption.

He RAPED a girl because he's an evil ASSHOLE.

Every group, be it political, religious, whatever, has whack job idiots in its ranks. It's not kind to label the group by what it's idiots say in public.

I am NOT a Republican, but I couldn't let that one slide.
  • kmetz44kmetz44

HOWEVER I think assuming he's being raised in a Republican home because he RAPED someone is a REVOLTING assumption.

Every group, be it political, religious, whatever, has whack job idiots in its ranks. It's not kind to label the group by what it's idiots say in public.

I am a Republican and tying it to any political party is fucking disgusting and rude as hell to the Republicans both on this board and in general.  All.respect.GONE

I havent even commented on SM because I was taking a break due to needing to step away...smdh this is what I come back to? Ridiculous  
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    What has happened to our youth . Parents say they are tired of being a parent , well folks we had the kids and to me tired as I have been at times and as much work as they have been at times by God where was the early teaching , the middle year teaching. Why was alcohol flowing at a Couches house ? Why did not someone as she was dragged house to place stop it ? All unanswered questions. What did these kids see/hear in there own homes ? Will they be held accountable for there deeds not given a slap and a no no boys ? All these and much more are a swirlin around my head.     #:-S
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    kmetz44 said:

I am a Republican and tying it to any political party is fucking disgusting and rude as hell to the Republicans both on this board and in general.  All.respect.GONE

I havent even commented on SM because I was taking a break due to needing to step away...smdh this is what I come back to? Ridiculous  

I won't/can't watch the video... I just can't.

I'm not officially Republican or Democrat, but I tend to lean more conservatively... & I agree with them.
    To say that someone raped because they must be Republican? That's horrible.
    And completely UN-justified. Democrats rape also.
    People rape because they are doing an evil deed... not a political one.

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• SaraMommySaraMommy
    It was wrong to throw politics into this...but from what I gather from @beam comment is that with government officials trying to say rape isn't legitimate, it isn't surprising to hear youth make the same type of comments. Saying republican vs democrat shouldn't have been the issue...because yes, EVERY party has rapists. It's sad that the public comments made by govt officials were made, but that doesn't mean all rapists will be republicans or vice versa. kwim? I didn't watch the video nor do I plan to, just sickening to even think about them trying to justify what they did to that young girl. The world is full of sickos, democrat and republican!
  • beambeam
    @SaraMommy - it wasn't my "comment" as it was from the article itself...my personal comment is the 2nd comment in the thread.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

@beam I was referring to the comment you made " but I can’t help but think that these young men are going to be Republican or come from Republican families." I was just saying, I didn't really think that you were saying all rapists are Republicans, but more of just pointing out the public comments made by govt officials and the comments made by these kids. And how it wouldn't be surprising to hear more youth with those opinions on rape, just because that is what they have heard from government figures. But maybe I'm wrong...

• beambeam
    @SaraMommy (and to everyone else) - I did not make that comment, it is part of the article.... but yes I believe the sentiment comes from many things said by elected Republicans these past years.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @beam My bad...after reading "After watching the video myself…" I assumed that was your personal comment.
  • beambeam
    That's ok @SaraMommy... I see many have made this assumption (I always add colors if I comment with an article..). Here is the link to the article: http://www.classwarfareexists.com/high-school-students-joke-about-rape-in-a-video-leaked-by-anonymous/

But I find it a bit disheartening that everyone is focusing on that and not what is truly important, the video and what the boy is saying.

• SaraMommySaraMommy
    That's why I was chiming in...I didn't watch the video, but with everyone getting upset over the republican comment, I was throwing my two cents out. I agree though, that shouldn't be the main focus. It was just a crappy comment thrown in the article.
  • RDunhamRDunham
    Horrifying.
  • undercoverbanana
    That kind of stuff has been going on forever. It isn't anything new. Unfortunately. Idiots busting themselves on social media....that is fairly new. Bathroom walls are outdated.
    i'm nekkid.
  • WhereamIWhereamI

I live in Ohio and my son plays football.  I am not in the same town but this tragedy hits terribly close to home.  I hope there is justice for this poor girl and her family. 

What strikes me as ironic is I have lived in Ohio my entire life.  I am a huge football fan.  I have never heard of this Steubenville football team!  They are a division 3 school.  It speaks volumes to me that the team is referenced as "widely celebrated".

We have had many conversations with our son about it not being ok to be a bystander.  He saw classmates get in trouble in middle school because a fight between 2 girls was recorded on a cell phone and posted on Facebook.  Everyone seen on the video to be standing around watching the fight was suspended.

Steubenville has a long history of corruption.  I feel as though referencing politics diminishes the focus on the victim.  My thoughts run toward this poor baby and what can we do to help ensure justice and support for her and her family.

"I'm not trying to win a popularity poll. I'm trying to win football games. I don't like nice people. I like tough, honest people!"
    ~Woody Hayes

• momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    im in ohio too @whereami, i have heard of steubenville only bc my aunt lives near there. otherwise, nope! no idea who they are. so sad though.
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • WhereamIWhereamI
    @momofeveryone I'm just north of Columbus.  Where in Ohio are you?  If you don't want to say I understand :)
    "I'm not trying to win a popularity poll. I'm trying to win football games. I don't like nice people. I like tough, honest people!"
    ~Woody Hayes

@beam
    I just want to clarify that I personally didn't think "you" made the comment.

I posted an article the other day & I know it's hard to differentiate your comments from the article, which is why I comment separately as well.

I apologize if my comment seemed to be directed towards you. It was towards the article itself.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

@WhereamI
    I agree that the political reference diminishes the focus on the victim. I guess that was what I was trying to say originally.

This poor child...
    :(
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b

• beambeam
    @WickedDunkieJunkie - no probs. It does take the focus away from the victim and being outraged by these enablers. I kept the whole article intact cause that is how I roll (whether or not I agree) but even though the thought is poorly written it is interesting at least to ask ourselves about our "leaders" and how much they influence how we react to something. Ex. how much does Obama's endorsement of gay marriage influence how we think about it, and the same would go for Todd Atkins and co. (all but one - King from Iowa were voted out)... I don't feel this should fall under a political rant (right or left) but it is more "a boy's club" in a era of "rape isn't rape and it is also hilarious"....

The 2nd comment with the Anonymous link (above the video) goes into more details about the coach and community for those more interested in learning more about everyone involved in covering up and others tweeting and photographing the story.
  • undercoverbanana
    Holy Christ.....volunteer coach supplying underage kids with alcohol, one passes out, not only does no one seek treatment for possible alcohol poisoning, she is repeatedly raped and passed around while unconcious? Wow. The adults in charge are fucked. bet that's where most of the cover up is coming from. And I bet school officials found out and were more interested in their liability than that girls welfare.
    i'm nekkid.
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    @undercoverbanana I'm sure you are 100% correct. So sad.
  • catzfan
    I have a love hate relationship with anonymous, but in this case, bring it! I can't watch the video but a whole bunch of factors play into this including political discourse, good of boy syndrome, small towns, all of it..... And I am from a good ol boy football centered small town so I know whereof I speak.
    I just think everyone would be better served to consider words before speaking in this 24 hr news cycle, social media world we live in. I was called a MF SOB DB crack head recently for noting a political point that has had negative, severe consequences for my mentally retarded and handicappec older brother and this is what I get? I don't know that anyone is served by that.
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Love Anonymous.. I just read about all this last night.. so wrong on so many levels.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • TexasMamaTexasMama
    Did anyone see the former guardians of one of the boys (Malik) interviewed on the Today show yesterday? They were with their attorney. They said that they will support him no matter what. Their demeanors and the way their attorney spoke for them make me think that they believe the boy to be as guilty as sin, but they don't hold it against him.
  • regpregp
    @undercoverbanana
    One article I read said that the party was held at the prosecutor's house....
    The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • LoveLove
    (CNN) -- Two high school football players were convicted Sunday in an Ohio rape case that gained worldwide attention through, and then focused on, social media.
    In a trial that divided the football-crazed Rust Belt town of Steubenville, Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were found guilty of raping a drunk 16-year-old girl.
    The case attracted the attention of bloggers -- and even the loosely organized hacking group, Anonymous -- who questioned everything from the behavior of the football team to the integrity of the investigation.
    Judge Thomas Lipps announced his decision after reviewing evidence presented over four days of testimony in the case against Mays and Richmond, who were tried as juveniles.
     Ma'lik's father: Be parent, not friend Atty: Victim wants 'normal' life back Witnesses testify in Steubenville trial
    Mays was also found guilty of disseminating a nude photo of a minor.
    The ruling brings an end to a trial that gained media attention for its lurid text messages, cell phone pictures and videos, and social media posts surrounding the sexual abuse of the girl.
    The victim was not in the courtroom when the ruling was read, but her mother gave a statement after the judge's ruling.
     Lords: No sympathy for rape suspects
    "Human compassion is not taught by a teacher, a coach or a parent. It is a God-given gift instilled in all of us," the victim's mother said after court was adjourned. "You displayed not only a lack of this compassion, but a lack of any moral code."
    The woman said her daughter will persevere and move on, adding that she has pity for Mays and Richmond.
    Bob Fitzsimmons, the attorney for the girl, said his client was doing well.
    "I think she's really happy that this is over and, remember, she is a 16-year-old girl still and she's a high school student," he said. "She just wants to get back with her normal life, as does the family. It is a big relief to her at this point."
    He wouldn't comment when asked if the girl and her family plan to file a civil case.
    Mays was sentenced to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility. Richmond was sentenced to a minimum of one year, but like Mays, he could be in detention until he is 21.
    The Department of Youth Services will rule whether the two boys will be detained longer, Lipps said, adding it will depend on their behavior and rehabilitation.
    The two will be required to register as sex offenders and undergo treatment while in detention. Lipps said he would postpone a hearing into which sexual offender registration category they will be classified until the end of their incarceration.
    Mays and Richmond, who will be credited for the time they served before the trial, were also ordered to stay away from the victim until they are 21.
    Richmond's father told CNN that his son was doing OK.
    "I told Ma'lik to put all his trust in God. God will see him through this," Nate Richmond said. "I told him that I love him, basically. And to be strong."
    In court, Ma'lik Richmond apologized before breaking down in tears.
    "I had no intention to do anything like that," he said. "And I'm sorry to put you guys through this."
    Mays apologized to the families involved.
    "No pictures should have been sent out, let alone been taken," he said.
    Mays and Richmond were tried before Lipps, a visiting judge, without a jury. The trial moved quickly -- and through the weekend -- to accommodate the judge's schedule.
    Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said more charges in the case could be forthcoming.
    After the convictions, DeWine said he is asking the Jefferson County Common Pleas Court to convene a grand jury on April 15. DeWine said that while calling a grand jury does not mean indictments will be returned or charges filed, "this community needs assurance that no stone has been left unturned in our search for the truth."
    He said there were 16 people who had refused to talk to investigators.
    He called the case a tragedy made even worse because the victim was revictimized through social media.
    Back-to-school parties turned ugly
    Mays and Richmond were accused of raping the girl during a series of end-of-summer parties in August 2012.
    According to prosecutors, each of them penetrated the victim's vagina with his fingers, an act that constitutes rape under Ohio law if it is not consensual.
    Attorneys for the two boys had said they were not guilty.
    CNN's policy is not to identify alleged victims of sexual assault. CNN is not naming the minors who have testified but is identifying Mays and Richmond, whose names have been used by court officials, their attorneys and in multiple media accounts.
    At the heart of the case was the question of whether the victim was too drunk on the night of August 11 and the early morning of August 12 to understand what was happening to her and to consent.
    Trial focuses on text messages
    The victim testified Saturday that she remembered little about the night because she was drunk.
    During closing statements on Saturday, attorneys for the two boys argued the state failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that their clients raped the girl, calling into question the victim's credibility.
    They also questioned whether an avalanche of cell pictures and videos and social media posts available in the days after the rape, as well as national media coverage ahead of the trial, tainted testimony.
    But prosecutors told the judge there is no question the girl was "substantially impaired."
    "The things that made her an imperfect witness -- that she doesn't remember a lot -- made her in every sense of the word a perfect victim," prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter said.
    Victim says she remembers little from the night in question
    The girl testified Saturday that she remembered drinking at the first big party of the night and then holding Mays' hand as she left with him, Richmond and others.
    The next thing she remembers, she told the court, is waking up in the morning naked on a couch in an unfamiliar house. She covered herself with a blanket while she looked for her clothes. She testified she could not find her underwear, earrings or cell phone.
    She testified she was "too embarrassed to ask what happened that night because I didn't remember."
    The girl told the court she had a flashback memory of throwing up in a street somewhere sometime after she left the first party.
    Teen rape trial shines unwelcome spotlight on Ohio town
    The victim was the 28th and final witness in a trial that has shone an unwelcome spotlight on Steubenville, a down-on-its-luck town of 18,400 residents along the Ohio River, and the Steubenville High School football team known locally as "Big Red."
    A community divided
    Critics have accused community leaders of trying to paper over rampant misconduct by players of the powerhouse "Big Red" football team and have suggested that other students took part in the assaults or failed to do enough to stop them.
    During closing arguments Saturday, Hemmeter cast aside the outside attention that Anonymous helped bring to the case.
    "This case isn't about a YouTube video. This case isn't about social media. This case isn't about Big Red football," she told the judge.
    "This case is about a 16-year-old girl who was taken advantage of, toyed with and humiliated. And it's time people who did this to her are held responsible."
    Teens treated girl 'like a toy,' prosecutor says
    Earlier in the day, attorneys for Mays and Richmond challenged the credibility of the victim, calling two of the 16-year-old girl's former best friends to testify.
    One witness, a 17-year-old, testified the victim told her she believed she had been drugged the night of the assault, an allegation the witness said she did not believe because the girl "lies about things."
    A hospital test on the victim for drugging came back negative, testimony revealed.
    The teen witnesses, who described themselves as classmates and former best friends of the girl, told the court they saw the victim drinking. She drank at least four shots of vodka, two beers and some of a slushy mixed with vodka, a 16-year-old witness said.
    The defense attempted to question the two teens about the victim's history, but the judge did not allow most of the line of questioning. Ohio, like most states, has a rape shield law that limits the amount of information of an alleged victim's past that can be explored in court.
    The 17-year-old witness said she picked the victim up the next morning from someone's home and asked her what happened.
    In the car, the victim said, "We didn't have sex, I swear. I don't know what happened. I don't remember," the teen testified.
    On Friday, three teens, all self-described friends of the co-defendants, testified that they saw Mays and Richmond engage in sexual contact with the girl. All three have been granted immunity from prosecution.
    One of the witnesses -- identified as a 17-year-old Steubenville football player and wrestler -- testified that he used his cell phone to record Mays putting his fingers inside the girl's vagina during a drive from one party to another. He said he deleted the video the next morning when he realized it was wrong.
    The teen also testified that Mays later attempted to have the girl perform a sex act on him in the basement of a home.
    "She didn't really respond to it," he said.

community-manager

• BlessieBlessie
    The fucking kid just apologized for taking the pictures! And the other one for hurting his FAMILY! They have no remorse no fucking Souls. That girls life has been stolen from her. She will never truly be rid of those images. She will never really know what happened to her. And for it to even be optional for them to have to register... for god sakes they will have sealed juvy records! They need to be marked somehow!
  • GoddessGoddess
    @blessie, I beg to differ. I've been raped. My life was not stolen from me. It's a bump in the road. For sure. At least mine wasn't in high school. I chose not to prosecute or even file because I grew up w the guy a d could not put myself through the "small town" bs that would accompany it.

With help and support, she can learn how to cope with the images. I hope to gawd her family moves from that town and helps her start over. It does NOT have to define her.

Truly repulsive behaviour from these teens. They should know better. I hope with every fiber of my being that I raise my son to be better. I hope he would jump in the middle and protect her. Call someone. Call ME if no one else.

Just repulsive.
  • BlessieBlessie
    @goddess I wasn't specifically talking about the rape itself, that can be overcome, I am aware as well. But there was pictures and video taken of her being violated the whole night and many put on the internet. They will never be "gone". Job opportunities, boyfriends, kids. This has the potential to continue to haunt her as long as the internet is around. That's what I meant by her life being stolen. I hope she is strong enough to ovbercome having been raped. (I never reported mine either) but never knowing when it is going to come again.... that would mindfuck me.
  • Peace

Omg. That's his lesson learned? No cameras??
    I hope this girl really can move forward, sending her & her family serious smojo.
    Thought the same thing @goddess, maybe they'll move from there...

16 people refused to talk to investigators.
    I wonder how the parents of the accused are dealing with this. I can't imagine seeing any of this & watching my kid involved with treating this girl this way.
    Including any other girls who saw her being carried around like a rag doll
  • CrashCrash
    What really pisses me off is someone posted a pic on FB where newscasters talked about the "tragedy" of these young men having to carry it around with them for the rest of their life. Being labeled as sexual predators with no mention of the victim. So.....if we sweep it under the rug, it'll be ok? 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • shadylaneshadylane
    A fucking outrage, 1 year and 2 years. No more than 3. And probably won't even have to register as sex offenders. It will be sealed and this will all go away when they turn 21. God forbid the lives of football players be affected too much, since football is such a noble endeavor. I don't get that, so what they played football? How does that excuse them or make them better than other perverts? Its not like they would have grown up to discover the cure for cancer or anything, they maybe would have played for some second-rate college team. What a tragedy that now they won't realize their potential just because they debased and defiled their unconscious classmate. This is not that far from me, I guarantee if hadn't been for the national attention they would have been acquitted.
    ~slim shady~
  • GoddessGoddess
    @shadylane, where have you been stranger?!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    I am also in Ohio and the time is horrible. I live near in Athens Ohio.where north of Columbus are you whereami?
  • LoveLove

Omg. That's his lesson learned? No cameras??

.YES THAT.
    WTF people.

How about, no matter how drunk or high I get, from now until forever, I will not rape anyone, and I'll immediately call the police if I witness it happening to anyone...

How about I learn how to be a decent fucking human being, who not only refuses to participate in the debasement of an unconscious minor, but will physically put a stop to it in any way possible, or at least alert the authorities...

This case has made me so angry from the beginning, and this just beats all in the fuck I've ever seen.
    Photos, videos, witnesses,... How much proof does a court actually fucking NEED. There are PICTURES and fucking VIDEOS of this, and they get 1 and 2 YEARS?
    ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW????

community-manager

• shadylaneshadylane
    Its a long story lol check out my thread from yesterday for the gory details @Goddess
    ~slim shady~
  • shadylaneshadylane
    @Love the judge couldn't give them time past age 21 because they weren't tried as adults, because they didn't want these upstanding young men's lives to be ruined
    ~slim shady~
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    Believe it or not, I had not seen this case until today. Lack of TV and general disdain for mainstream media may have to do with it.
    I am horrified. It is not only that these kids revolt me, the whole process revolts me. They RAPED a girl but they seem to feel the same remorse as if they had broken a glass with a stone and the people around them behave as it is not such a big deal and everything should just be, you know, forgotten. Hell, I wonder if the girl is going to forget as easily as they are. I bet her nightmares and fear will last a lot longer than 2 years.
    I cannot truly understand how a society reaches to this point.