God parents
  • thislittlemommy5thislittlemommy5
    Do your children have godparents? If so do they have the same ones or different for each child?
    My son has God parents but they won't have to end up with him if my husband and I pass away ( sil is going to get my kids). I just want someone there to make sure they will be ok if something happens. My husband and I are unsure if we should give the baby the same set or if we should do different ones...
  • squishsquish
    My ds's godparents are my second oldest sister and DH's brother. They were maid of honor and best man at our wedding. If we die, he will probably go to my sister as that is the person he is closest too.

If we have other kids, the godparents will be different. Probably more of my siblings since I'm one of six. Dh could choose who he wants but i think he would choose my brother as the next godfather. That's if I can convince him to have another one but that's another story.

I know my siblings and I all have different godparents and so does Dh and his brother.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    My kids have different godparents. At the time, we were really clise with these friends. I havent really even talked to any if them in years :(
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • AAA08

Godparents really have little to do with who gets your children if something happens to you. They are traditionally supposed to be someone who ensures and helps a parent keep their child on the right track as far faith goes.  All of my sibling and I have different Godparents, as do my children.

• irishlassirishlass
    My son just has a godmother, totally unofficially, but she was just someone who I wanted to be a constant in my sons life. She would be heavily involved if I died, but I'm not sure who would be the sole carer if both me and his dad died!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • SalllyWingo
    My DD's godparents are my brother & sisterin the event of my passing, my parents would be DDs guardians, as per my will.
  • DemandaDemanda
    My son has Godparents, but really, he's not baptized or anything, nor are they in my will as the caregivers in the event of my passing, so for us, it's more in name than anything else. 
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • Zooy
    My brother and sister in law are DS's godparents. We had his baptism in October and everyone knows that in the event of our passing DS will go to them. They don't have kids and I know he would be well taken care of.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    My girls have different god-parents.

Although anyone picked from the ex-h side of the family sucks ass.
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Manders15Manders15
    My godparents are my mom's middle sister & Dad's only brother.  My brother's god parents are Mom's youngest sister & Dad's only long term BIL.  If something had happened to our parents when we were minors we'd have gone to Mom's youngest sister & her DH & a lot of that was bc out of their sibs who Mom & Dad were willing to leave us with they were the only ones who had the space & the financials to handle it.  My godmother was a single mom who barely made it financially, even w/ the money she'd have had access to to help that probably would have been too much for her & my godfather & his wife already had 3 boys in a smallish house, just no room & not enough time for 2 more kids.
      So the upshot of my longwindedness is that godparents don't necessarily have a thing to do with who you would name as guardian for your babies should anything happen to you.
  • cheesehead4ever
    Godparents now have nothing to do with custody if the parents die. I think it used to be that way years ago but not know.
    Both my girls have my sister as their godmother. Our oldests godfather is one if DH's friends and our youngest has DH's first cousin.
    My sister in law was never an option since she is irresponsible, not Catholic and even if we had decided to overlook the Catholic thing, she hasn't stepped in a church in 20 years except for weddings and funerals. Since one of the roles of godparents is religious guidance, that eliminated her as an option. She is really bitter about it too even though she has never confronted us.
  • AloneOverseasAloneOverseas
    I'm not Catholic but was asked to be a godmother to my neighbors kids. I wasn't sure I wanted to for fear of being expected to help provide for the kids. But then there were family issues and it never eventuated. Probably a good thing. A few years later I moved away then they moved away (their house was foreclosed) and we completely lost touch. That was about 17 years ago ...
    I love purple; I love cats. Imagine if cats were purple ...
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    AAA08 said:

Godparents really have little to do with who gets your children if something happens to you. They are traditionally supposed to be someone who ensures and helps a parent keep their child on the right track as far faith goes.  All of my sibling and I have different Godparents, as do my children.

Typically, yes this true. In my case dd's GP's are my cousin and his wife and they'll be her guardian as well if something happens to me. Though I have been thinking of pulling a Raising Helen and giving her to my bachelor brother...
    >:)
    Bite me, cupcake!