• shate98shate98
    I can't find the old thread... but since it's a new year and this isn't a xmas gift...

I finally finished my friend's baby gift. The baby is only 7mo now. Oops, a little late. I made her a teddy bear with matching teddy bear hat in a toddler size so she can grow into it. The baby is a girl but my friend hates pink, so that's why it's purple and blue with pink accents.

What diy gifts are you working on or finished?
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    My BFF and I have decided to brainstorm the month of January and come up with things we're good at making and can sell. I think I really want to make my love of crafting and DIY stuff into a small business. Even if it's just Etsy, craft shows or amongst our friends. Between the two of us we can make a lot of awesome things. Fingers crossed when we bounce around ideas the end of the month we come up with some good ideas!
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • shate98shate98
    @MarySunshine that teddy bear is my own pattern. I'd love to sell them, but it takes several hours to make plus materials. If I make minimum wage on it plus supplies, I'd have to sell these babies at $60. That's a lot for a stuffed animal, you know? Time and supplies on the hat would be around 25.
    I actually had a Basset Hound custom crocheted to look like Bosley for Taran when he was a baby. And with shipping I paid close to $95 and that was almost three years ago! But he sleeps with it and a couple of other Lovies every night.

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • shate98shate98
    @MarySunshine, well heck! Maybe I should open an etsy store and sell these custom- you pick the colors and whether he gets a bowtie or scarf. add ons like the hat are extra. hmm. 95 sound nice!

ps- I love hobbies that pay for themselves!
    @shate98 Hey the best thing about Etsy is you add things to your shop at your own pace and you can accept custom orders when you are able to do them. It's not like having a physical store fort you need to pump stuff out for all the time. Obviously the more you have to offer the better, but when you're already working, or caring for kids at home (you know little ones like the beasties' ages), you don't always have 5 days a week, 8 hours a day to dedicate to crafting.

• Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Omg I love the bear!!!
    So adorable!
  • Marionettevie
    i saw one from a link on pinterest. we are crushing up oreos to look like dirt and putting it in a jar for MIL..its her 50th. it will say "older than dirt" LOL

i want to learn to knit and crochet....maybe i could make cute bears too
  • OUCHOUCH
    I wish I could crochet! I just can't *get* it!
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate." - UNK
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
    "Tattoos don't define the person, the person defines the tattoos." - Me
    “The pain now is part of the happiness then” – CS Lewis
  • shate98shate98
    @OUCH I'll teach you! :)
  • Tranquil
    @shate98 your bear is awesome :)
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    For you Etsey would be a win win you are so way talented. Go for it
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I am going to make a bunch of totes , maybe a few aprons and go to a local trade days thing later this year. The first one is in March. I was going to do a few and take some already made stencles to make the totes there or sell the stencles. Well that's my plan. Do you think it will work ? Any suggestions on what kind of stencles I should make ? Target audience , rednecks , lol. I kid , I kid. Well a little bit. They like race cars , and football !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • OUCHOUCH
    @shate98 my ex-mil taught me how to do a chain about 15 years ago! I remember how to do that and I have read/watched tutorials. I can't seem to get the chain to be the same size throughout though. I have all these awesome ideas in my head, or see things that I think are soo cool. Damn perfectionist in me screws me. Every. Damn. Time.
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
  • shate98shate98
    @OUCH ah! Your issue is tension. That comes with practice. Give it another shot :)
  • OUCHOUCH
    @shate98 I figured that's what it was! Every once in a while I pick it up (I have a hook and small bit of yarn in a snack ziplock) and give it another try. One of these days I'll get it I'm sure!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    @momofdbb browning and and different style deer and elk skulls and heads are popular with the redneck crowd..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I have crocheted for years and never got it.. ive made a few scarfs and such but i cant ever remember how to do hats and i suck at patterns.. though i love to sew by hand and i have a bunch of cool missed matched knee socks that would make cute stuffed sock monkeys and bears.. and they are easy to find on give away sites.. now i need to figure out denim too kids go through jeans left and right..
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @meandmy243
    Like this ?
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

yea I am geek !!
  • LoveLove
    For my fellow crafty/DIYers:

75 DIY/craft gifts UNDER $5 (there are 25 under $5 each, in 3 parts!)

community-manager

• LoveLove
    I am SO trying this:

community-manager

• LoveLove
    MUST HAVE

community-manager

@love Thank you for supplying today's entertainment! LOL I will be pinning ideas and posting links on my BFF's FB all day. :x This is just one of the many reasons I adore you.

• shate98shate98
    @love awesome! I'm going to be trying some out
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama

community-manager

@canadianmama That is AWESOOOOOOME!

• junglezoo
    imageimageimageI made all these stockings...one  for H and for my 2 children. I made the one for H our first Xmas together and then one for my kids the year they were born. Just made Emily's this year. I buy the stockings and then hand sew the pocket on the front as well as hand design and sew the characters.....takes FOREVER! I could use the sewing machine but its not the same. I also crochet and knit...will try to upload some pics later.

@shate98 great job :D

I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • junglezoo
    imageimageokay here's the hats...figured I'd dig out some pics of those since I was at it. I used a pattern for the hat itself (knit) and then made up my own configurations for the face/ears, etc by crotcheting (trial and error) and sewing them onto the hat.
  • LilbitLilbit
    @junglezoo I LOVE those stockings!!!!!!! How much would you charge for one?
  • junglezoo

@Lilbit Thanks! :D ...you'll be the first to know if I ever decide to sell them. They just take sooooooooo long to make - seriously about 10-15hrs because even the extra pocket on the front (that the character is attached to) is hand sewn on. I suppose I could break out my sewing machine and cut the time in half (if not more) but then it wouldn't be "a labour of love". And I want them to be original so if I did ever sell them I wouldn't make the same one twice.

Oddly enough I'm the only one with a crap stocking b/c I haven't taken the time to make one for me :(

• momofdbbmomofdbb
    I am working on a big tote bag for an aunt ! We are having lunch with her Saterday and I know her she has gifts for the kids. So I want to make her something. I am putting her grand kids names with musical notes between the names. A piano keyboard and the words " family always hits the right notes . It is going to take me a while !!
    yea I am geek !!
  • LilbitLilbit
    @junglezoo I might just nag you into making dh and I one and then again when the baby factory gets rolling! I seriously love them!
  • junglezoo
    @lilbit *blush* thanks for the compliments :)
    @momofdbb can't wait to see pics...sounds really cool!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    momofdbb said:

@meandmy243
    Like this ?

Yes exactly
  • OUCHOUCH
    @momofdbb be careful with doing any images that are copywritten or licensed!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @OUCH I will , I hadn't thought of that ! So far it's has all been gifts. So no issues there. I mainly plan on doing generic trains and princess things not Thomas or disney.
    yea I am geek !!
  • OUCHOUCH
    @momofdbb It was just a reminder in case you hadn't thought about that!! Also, I think that bottom deer image is THE Browning symbol so it likely has a copyright attached to it!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Of course it's the easiest one to do ! Lol
    yea I am geek !!
  • OUCHOUCH
    Lol of course @momofdbb!! I just googled "deer antler stencil" and found some that don't look too complicated so I'm sure you can find some other easy ones!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I'm sure I can . I will start REALLY LOOKING soon. Once I finish this one tote for a gift. Why did they have to name one of the kids Christopher !!! And my piano keys are not behaving !!!
    yea I am geek !!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    So I finished this tote tonight ! OMG it took forever !!! I hope she likes it ! I put her grand kids names on it. Praying Stbxh gave me to correct spellings ! She was a piano teacher for a LONG time.
    The picture isn't that good , sorry.
    yea I am geek !!
  • junglezoo
    Great job!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Thanks ! @junglezoo. I gave it to her today and she said thanks. The we ate lunch and were talking about my newest arts and crafts thing and she was like ," you made that !!!" and went and got it to look at it closer. Lol.
    yea I am geek !!
  • shate98shate98
    Here's my latest and greatest. Not as cute as the teddy bear, but my friend is have boy/girl twins so I made matching hats for them. They are due imminently.

• shate98shate98
    I can't get the whole pic to show up... :/
  • eappleeapple
    @shate98 it shows up great and they are adorable!

All these crafts have me itching to make stuff. I have a book to learn to crochet but haven't even cracked it... I have a brand new sewing machine I have never used once, and I have two large jars of coconut oil looking to be made into stuff that haven't been opened. sigh I'm a sucky procrastinator :(
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • shate98shate98
    @eapple thanks!

I know what you mean. I have an xmas project sitting on my sewing desk completely untouched. I'm in a crocheting mood right now. I just have to be in the mood. But it's nice to feel productive while I'm sitting like a lump on the sofa watching tv :D
  • OUCHOUCH
    I *just* realized that in a week or so I will be able to try crocheting again while I'm at my new job!! So @shate98 if you or anyone else has any tips for my tension problem or tutorials I should look at please let me know if possible.
  • shate98shate98
    @OUCH I will try to take a photo of how I hold the yarn. I recommend finding an easy pattern for a blanket square and then making a bunch of them. The repetition will help you practice your technique and at the end you get a blanket :D

I am working on a baby blanket right now. I could pm you the pattern. It's the one I learned on.
  • OUCHOUCH
    @shate98 that would be great! Thank you!
  • shate98shate98
    @OUCH

Here is how I hold the work:

And here is what it looks like through my fingers:

This is how I like to hold the yarn and how I maintain tension. 

Remember that the starting chain is the hardest part to maintain tension. The hole of each chain should be just big enough for the hook to fit through.

I will pm you the pattern I am using right now.